- v. 解决；定居；安顿；平静；结算
- n. 背长椅，座位；定居，安顿
- vt. & vi. 安排,安放; 安家,定居 arrange; fix up; go and live (in)
- vt. 解决,调停 solve; mediate; intervene
- vt. 支付,结算 pay
- vt. & vi. (使)安定 (cause to) stabilize; (cause to) maintain
- vi. (鸟等)飞落 (the birds, etc.) fly to somewhere
a long wooden bench with a back
settle into a position, usually on a surface or ground;
"dust settled on the roofs"
bring to an end; settle conclusively;
"The case was decided"
"The judge decided the case in favor of the plaintiff"
"The father adjudicated when the sons were quarreling over their inheritance"
settle conclusively; come to terms;
"We finally settled the argument"
take up residence and become established;
"The immigrants settled in the Midwest"
come to terms;
"After some discussion we finally made up"
"The raft sank and its occupants drowned"
become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style;
"He finally settled down"
become resolved, fixed, established, or quiet;
"The roar settled to a thunder"
"The wind settled in the West"
"it is settling to rain"
"A cough settled in her chest"
"Her mood settled into lethargy"
establish or develop as a residence;
"He settled the farm 200 years ago"
"This land was settled by Germans"
come to rest
arrange or fix in the desired order;
"She settled the teacart"
accept despite lack of complete satisfaction;
"We settled for a lower price"
end a legal dispute by arriving at a settlement;
"The two parties finally settled"
dispose of; make a financial settlement
become clear by the sinking of particles;
"the liquid gradually settled"
cause to become clear by forming a sediment (of liquids)
sink down or precipitate;
"the mud subsides when the waters become calm"
"He ensconced himself in the chair"
get one's revenge for a wrong or an injury;
"I finally settled with my old enemy"
make final; put the last touches on; put into final form;
"let's finalize the proposal"
form a community;
"The Swedes settled in Minnesota"
come as if by falling;
- If you pay for both of us now, we can settle up later.
- An official mission was sent to settle the dispute.
- The two companies settled out of court.
- They moved the local people and settle them in another place.
- He's of an age when he ought to settle down.
- The thunderstorm may settle the weather.
- A great insect went noisily by and settled near his foot.
- Dust has settled everywhere.
- The road￣bed settled.
- Cracks appeared in the wall as the foundation settled.
- Our house has settled several inches since it was built.
- Dregs settled at the bottom of the container.
- The weather has settled.
- The city settled when the rebels left.
- The English settled New England.
- The nurse settled her patient for the night.
- Her soft words settled his agitated mind.
- I'll read a bit before supper to settle my mind.
- Have a brandy, it will settle your nerves.
- A vacation will settle your nerves.
- Take this new medicine and it will settle your nerves.
- He took a pill to settle his stomach.
- The heavy rain might settle the changeable weather.
- That settled that matter.
- She has decided how she should settle the matter.
- And a word from him would settle everything.
- Countries should settle their disputes by peaceful means.
- It's time you settled the dispute.
- An apology on his part settled the quarrel.
- We have to settle the gas bill.
- Will you settle the bill?
- It's wise to settle one's accounts monthly.
- He said he would settle scores with them.
- Stand the bottle upright for a few days to settle the sediment.
- Leave the wine on a shelf for a week to settle it.
- They settled themselves with their backs to the cliff and let the warm sun bake them through.
- Good, that's settled then.
- More and more people go along with the idea that pollution should be settled seriously.
- That's all settled. It needn't be talked about any more.
- Our plan will be settled tomorrow.
- The date of their departure was finally settled.
- The question has been settled.
- The strike went on for over a year before it was finally settled.
- The account is not yet settled.
- We have settled to go to France for our holidays.
- He has settled to go abroad.
- They settled to build a reservoir here.
- Have you settled to attend the meeting tomorrow?
- Have you settled when to start off?
- We haven't settled where to go yet.
- We haven't settled where to build the school.
- We have settled that we'll go to Beijing.
- The teacher has settled that we are to write a term paper.
- We have settled what we'll discuss at the next meeting.
- He has not settled whether we are going with them.
- Have they settled where they will spend their holiday?
- settle down (v.+adv.)
平息; 停息 not be active
The contents of the packet may settle down in travelling.
The ship was settling down by the stern.
The dust slowly settled down.
The airship settled down in a field.
These orphans have settled down very happily in their new home.
My wife will be coming over as soon as I've settled down.
I hate all this travel.I want to get married and settle down.
He hoped to settle down in the countryside.
How long did it take you to settle down in this country?
She came down last year and settled down in the village.
He has determined to settle down in the countryside.
After roaming around nearly half his life, he finally settled down in Canada.
When you have settled down in the new workshop, you will start working.
你们在新车间一安顿下来,你们就开始工作。settle sb ⇔ down
The organization aims to settle newcomers down in the city.
Settle down, children, stop running about .
The teacher told the class to settle down and begin their study.
The marriage began in a stormy fashion, but soon settled down.
When everybody had settled down, the chairman began to speak.
She was so upset by the news that she couldn't settle down.
He can't settle down today.There must be something worrying him.
今天他心情平静不下来,一定有什么事使他心烦。settle sb/oneself ⇔ down
Please go upstairs and settle the children down for me, they're restless again and won't sleep.
You had better settle yourself down and start working.
你最好安下心来工作。settle down to sth
We settled down to a discussion of English grammar.
It's terrible,I can't settle down to anything today.
He has settled down to farming.
It's time for me to settle down to this work.
After working abroad for several years,Gill wants to settle down to a permanent job in Britain.
As soon as he settled down to his new job,Alex got ahead splendidly.
The damaged ship leaned over and slowly settled down on the ocean floor.
When all the excitement had settled down, it was clear that there had been no real cause for anxiety.
Wait till the police hunt has settled down and then make your escape.
- settle for (v.+prep.)
勉强认可 force sb to do sth
settle for sth/v-ing
They had to settle for a very modest house with no garage.
Although he was jumping so well, he failed to win the first prize and had to settle for the second.
Many women refuse to settle for staying at home.
- settle in1 (v.+adv.)
开始出现并可能持续 begin and seem likely to continueRain settled in shortly before midday and lasted all afternoon.临近中午开始下雨,连续下了一下午。
- settle in2 (v.+prep.)
开始在…居住 (cause to) start living in a place用于 be ～ed 结构
- settle into (v.+prep.)
有头绪,上正轨 get used to
settle into sth
Things soon settled into shape.
- settle on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
决定,选定 decide on
settle on〔upon〕 sth/v-ing
After a long discussion they settled on the site for the power station.
They settled on setting up a new electric power system.
Have you settled on the day for departure?
Have you settled on a time for leaving?
After much discussion they settled on the plan originally proposed.
Can't the members of the committee settle on the details later?
I don't know what dress she finally settled upon.
Have you settled on going camping with us?
Now that the meeting-place has been settled on, can we talk about the agenda?
- settle up (v.+adv.)
结账; 了结某事 pay a debt such as a bill; bring a matter to a conclusion
You bought the tickets and I paid for the meal.Shall we settle up now?
Immediately after settling up, he left the hotel and hurried to the railway station.
Mr. Wang owed us a balance of about $50, but he telephoned to say that he would come next week and settle up.
It's time we settled up.
I'll settle up with them soon.
我很快跟他们清账。settle sth ⇔ up
He settled up the outstanding bills.
- settle with (v.+prep.)
向…报复 deal with by fightingI will settle with you for that action — it shall not go unpunished.你这种行动绝不能不受惩罚,我是要和你算账的。
- settle a claim 结清债务
- settle a conflict 调停冲突
- settle a date 确定日期
- settle a dispute 排解纠纷
- settle a doubt 消除疑虑
- settle a question 解决问题
- settle a waver 使犹豫不决的人下决心
- settle accounts 结账,清算,挽回面子
- settle bill 偿清欠款
- settle differences 解决分歧
- settle difficulties 解决困难
- settle hash 征服或使某人归顺
- settle matter 解决事情
- settle one's affairs (在遗嘱中)安排自己的后事
- settle one's debt 还账
- settle quarrels 解决争议
- settle state affairs 处理国家大事
- settle the boundary 确定边界
- settle the score 挽回面子
- settle the successor 确定继承人
- settle admirably 极好地安排
- settle amicably 友好地安排
- settle annually 每年一次地支付
- settle artistically 富有艺术创造力地安排
- settle beautifully 美妙地安排
- settle becomingly 适当地安排
- settle carefully 小心地安排
- settle cheerfully 兴高采烈地支付
- settle cleverly 巧妙地安排
- settle clumsily 拙劣地安排
- settle complexly 复杂地安排
- settle confidentially 机密地安排
- settle conscientiously 诚心诚意地支付
- settle contentedly 心满意足地解决
- settle courteously 有礼貌地支付
- settle crudely 粗俗地安排
- settle curiously 不寻常地支付
- settle dramatically 不寻常地安排
- settle delicately 灵敏地安排
- settle efficiently 有效地安排
- settle elaborately 详尽地安排
- settle exorbitantly 极其过分地支付
- settle exquisitely 精美地安排
- settle extemporaneously 临时支付
- settle felicitously 恰当地安排
- settle finally 最后地安排
- settle freely 随意支付
- settle geographically 依据地形安排
- settle grudgingly 勉强支付
- settle handsomely 慷慨支付
- settle harmoniously 和谐地安排
- settle hideously 令人惊骇地安排
- settle ideally 完美地安排
- settle immediately 立即安排
- settle incautiously 轻易支付
- settle incessantly 不断支付
- settle indiscriminately 不加区分地支付
- settle ingeniously 巧妙地支付
- settle irrelevantly 不相关地支付
- settle logically 情理之中地支付
- settle mechanically 习惯性地安排
- settle methodically 有条理地安排
- settle moderately 适度地支付
- settle neatly 干净利落地安排
- settle obviously 显而易见地安排
- settle ostensibly 表面上地安排
- settle painfully 痛苦地安排
- settle peacefully 和平解决
- settle previously 事先安排
- settle privately 私下解决
- settle punctually 准时支付
- settle regularly 定期地支付
- settle reluctantly 勉强支付
- settle satisfactorily 满意地安排
- settle sensibly 合理地安排
- settle systematically 有系统地安排
- settle unconditionally 无条件支付
- settle unhappily 不愉快地支付
- settle unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地支付
- settle unkindly 非善意地支付
- settle unnecessarily 不必要地支付
- settle unreservedly 爽快地支付
- settle untimely 不及时支付
- settle down 定居,安家,过安定的生活; 平静下来,(夜色)降临
- settle down the excitement 让激动情绪平息下来
- settle the audience down 使听众安静下来
- settle up 解决,还清欠款
- settle up a dispute 解决争端
- settle down to a bachelor life 安于独身生活
- settle down to a new job 渐渐习惯于新的工作
- settle down to dinner 坐下来吃饭
- settle down to studies 安下心来学习
- settle up with the waiter 和服务员结账
- settle out of court 庭外解决
- settle at a small town 定居于小城镇
- settle for 勉强接受,愿意
- settle for such a quiet life 忍受这样平静的生活
- settle for this simple life 愿过这种简朴的生活
- settle in 定居在,坐在…里
- settle in Canada 定居加拿大
- settle in the country 在农村落户
- settle into 稳定成为
- settle into shape 有头绪
- settle into sleep 慢慢地进入梦乡
- settle on 停在,决定
- settle on a place for vacation 决定去度假的地方
- settle on the furniture 在家具上积聚
- settle on the land (鸟等)飞到地上来
- settle to 安心于
When you're settling the room after breakfast.出自： A. Trollope
With great care..settled it into the breastpocket of his shirt.出自： J. Agee
Mrs. Garland settled her bonnet.出自： A. Uttley
- settle的基本意思是“安”。可指“安放”“安置”“安家”,即使某人〔事〕处于稳定、有序、长期的位置或某个稳定、清闲的环境中; 也可指“安定”“安抚”“安静”,即长期压在心头的烦恼或起伏不定的事物得到安定; 还可指“安排”“解决”,即终止所有的怀疑、动摇和争论而使事情得到解决。根据上文可灵活译成“妥善安置”。引申可指“安排,使妥帖”“决定,解决”“使平静,使镇定”“调停,排解”“设定,安牢”“使就职”“使坐下”“使守规矩,使就范”“使坚固,使坚实”“使澄清,使沉淀”“支付,清算”“(法律)让渡,和解”“(动物学)受孕,怀胎”。
- settle for, settle on, settle up
- 这组短语的意思并不相同：settle for的意思是“(勉强)同意接受”“清理(债务等)”; settle on的意思是“决定”“给(钱、遗产等)”; settle up的意思是“付账”。
- settle, decide, determine, fix, make up one's mind, resolve
- 1.decide是普通用词,指经过讨论、思考消除分歧而对是非、优劣、取舍等问题“作出决定”; resolve强调信念的目的性; 而settle则强调最后的“决定”。例如:
- From that moment she resolved to trace the unknown element.从那时起,她决心找出这种未知的元素。
- He resolved that nothing should hold back.他决心不为任何阻碍所挫。
- The heavy rain might settle the changeable weather.这场大雨也许能使变幻不定的天气稳定下来。
- His advice determined me against further delay.他的劝告使我决定不再拖延。
- He is determined to break away all the bad habits.他决心改掉所有坏习惯。
- An X-ray determined that no bones were broken.经X光测定,没有发生骨折。
- Once the aim is fixed, we should not change it arbitrarily.目标一经确定,我们就不要随意改变。
- 4.make up one's mind指下决心做某事,不再改变。例如:
- Have you made up your mind about it?关于这件事,你拿定主意了没有?
- They have made up their minds to set off tomorrow afternoon.他们决定明天下午动身。
- settle, establish, fasten, fix
- Every possibility has been exploited to establish a number of schools.利用一切可能性建立了许多学校。
- The company has established a new system for dealing with complaints.这家公司建立了处理意见的新制度。
- We have settled what we'll discuss at the next meeting.我们已决定下次会议讨论什么内容。
- Their grandparents settled the land in 1856.他们的祖辈于1856年在这块土地上定居下来。
- Please fasten the seatbelt when the plane is about to take off.飞机起飞时请系好安全带。
- The stranger fastened on my arm.那个陌生人紧紧抓住我的胳膊。
- His eyes fastened upon the beautiful lady.他的眼睛盯住那位美丽的妇人。
- settle, calm, quieten
- A vacation will settle your nerves.休假可镇定你的神经。
- A word from his father was enough to settle him.他父亲的一句话就足以使他安静下来。
- The music will settle my disordered brain.音乐会使我纷乱的心情得到安定。
- Have a brandy. It will settle your nerves.喝点白兰地吧,它会使你镇定下来。
- Her soft words settled his agitated mind.她的温柔的话语使他焦虑的思绪平静下来。
- I'll read a bit before supper to settle my mind.我在晚餐之前读读书使心情平静。
- The children were shouting, but they soon quietened down.孩子们大叫大嚷着,但一会儿就安静了下来。
- settle, solve
- 这两个词的共同意思是“解决问题〔纷争〕”。当宾语是argument, dispute, affair, matter等名词时多使用settle; 当宾语是equation, problem, puzzle等名词时,多使用solve。
- He hopes to settle in the country.
- He hopes to be settled in the country.
- He hopes to settle down in the country.
- He hopes to be settled down in the country.
- A word from his father was enough to settle him.
- A word from his father was enough to settle with him.
误 Both sides settled the problem at last.
正 Both sides solved the problem at last.
析 表示“解决问题”,通常要说solve a problem,其中 solve 不能改用settle。 settle的宾语通常可以是 dispute(争执), affair(事务), matter(事情), argument(争论), quarrel(争吵)等。她安稳地坐下来看书。
误 She settled down reading her book.
正 She settled down to read her book.
析 表示“安稳地坐下来做某事”可用settle down to- v 的结构。 settle down后面跟动词不定式,不跟动词的现在分词形式。我们安下心来讨论英语俚语的用法。
误 We settled down for a quiet discussion of English slang.
正 We settled down to a quiet discussion of English slang.
析 表示“安下心来做某事”时settle down后可接动词不定式,还可接由介词to引起的短语。to不可换为for。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的setl；最初源自该语的setlan，意为一个座位，位置。