- v. 到达；伸出；达成；取得联系；延伸；（伸手）去够
- n. 范围；影响力；河段；等级
- vt. 到达 arrive at; get to
- vt. & vi. 伸出手臂; 延伸 be able to touch (sth) by stretching out a hand or arm; be big enough to touch, stretch as far as
- vt. 联络 get a message to; get in touch with; contact
- [S]伸手可及的距离 the distance that one can touch by stretching
- [P](江河的)河段 continuous extent of a river between two bends or of a canal between two locks
the limits within which something can be effective;
"range of motion"
"he was beyond the reach of their fire"
an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control:
"the range of a supersonic jet"
"a piano has a greater range than the human voice"
"the ambit of municipal legislation"
"within the compass of this article"
"within the scope of an investigation"
"outside the reach of the law"
"in the political orbit of a world power"
the act of physically reaching or thrusting out
the limit of capability;
"within the compass of education"
reach a destination, either real or abstract;
"We hit Detroit by noon"
"The water reached the doorstep"
"We barely made it to the finish line"
"I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
reach a point in time, or a certain state or level;
"The thermometer hit 100 degrees"
"This car can reach a speed of 140 miles per hour"
move forward or upward in order to touch; also in a metaphorical sense;
"Government reaches out to the people"
be in or establish communication with;
"Our advertisements reach millions"
"He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia"
to gain with effort;
"she achieved her goal despite setbacks"
to extend as far as;
"The sunlight reached the wall"
"Can he reach?"
"The chair must not touch the wall"
reach a goal, e.g.,
"make the first team"
"We made it!"
"She may not make the grade"
place into the hands or custody of;
"hand me the spoon, please"
"Turn the files over to me, please"
"He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
to exert much effort or energy;
"straining our ears to hear"
- We had twenty miles to cover to reach the nearest railway station.
- He reached into his pocket to get his car keys.
- Hopefully, they will reach an agreement after the talk.
- We tried to reach them by cable.
- The garden reaches the lake.
- He tiptoed to reach the dictionary on the shelf.
- The plates on the upper shelf are beyond my reach.
- Such concepts are beyond the reach of my intelligence.
- The bridge is located over the upper reaches of the Thames.
- There are few women in the upper reaches of the civil service.
- I can't reach so high.
- We can see nothing but houses as far as the eye can reach.
- When will we reach our destination?
- His influence hasn't reached the capital yet.
- The news reached every part of the world.
- I can't reach the top of the shelf unless I stand on a chair.
- The expense will reach millions.
- He sent his son to join the army as soon as he reached eighteen.
- She reached the end of endurance.
- Not a sound reached our ears.
- The speaker's voice did not reach the back of the hall.
- Her voice could not reach the last rows of students.
- Your letter reached me this morning.
- I haven't been able to reach my mother for weeks.
- You can usually reach him on this phone number.
- The rule does not reach the case.
- After a long discussion they reached an understanding.
- Labour and management reached a peaceful settlement of their differences.
- London can be reached in five hours.
- Men are often reached by flattery.
- Please reach me the coffeepot.
- She reached me a slice of bread.
- Can you reach me that box?
- Can you reach that book for me?
- He got a book on the shelf by a long reach.
- By a long reach, the drowning man grasped the rope.
- He made a reach for a rope.
- The climber slipped, made a reach for the rope and was saved.
- We often divide a river into three parts, that is the upper, middle and lower reaches.
- This is a small community living on the upper reaches of the Amazon.
- reach across (v.+prep.)
把手伸过… stretch out a hand or arm across (sth)
reach sth across sth
He reached his hand across the table to shake hands with Jacelin.
- reach after (v.+prep.)
追求; 试图获得 try to obtain sth
reach after sth
He never reaches after personal fame and gain.
For years he studied many forms of religion, reaching after the truth.
His mind reached after an understanding of the problem.
- reach back (v.+adv.)
回忆 return in memory
- reach down (v.+adv.)
(使)向下移动 (cause to) move in a downward direction
reach sth ⇔ down
Reach down that book, please.
Can you reach that apple down in the tree?
- reach for (v.+prep.)
伸出…以触及 stretch (usually one's hand) so as to touch or hold sth
reach for sth
The soldier reached for his gun.
Eby reached for the stick.
He reached for the phone and quickly dialed a number.
I reached for a floating log with my foot.
- reach into (v.+prep.)
达到(某个数目); 延伸〔持续〕到 stretch as far as the beginning of (sth such as an amount, space, or time)
- reach out (v.+adv.)
(使)伸出 (cause to) stretch forward
He reached out and took my arm.
All manner of opportunities will come your way, but you must reach out for them.
你会遇到各种各样的机会,但你必须设法抓住它们。reach sth ⇔ out
The child reached out a hand towards the plum.
He reached out his hand for the dictionary.
When I could find no way out, he reached out a helping hand.
A tree reaches out its branches towards the light.
- reach to (v.+prep.)
触〔伸〕及; 及于 stretch (a hand, arm, or finger) as far as (sth)
reach to sth
Our campus reaches down to the river.
On one wall there was a bookcase that reached up to the ceiling.
Her hair reached to her shoulders.
Her income reaches to a considerable figure.
- reach up (v.+adv.)
争取向上发展 have hopes and expectations for one's future; attempt to win
I reached up and put the parcel on top of the cupboard.
我伸手托起包裹将它放到了柜子顶上。reach sth ⇔ up
Can you reach your arm up to that book on the top shelf?
You'll never get anywhere in your job unless you reach up to the highest position in the form and take steps to fulfill your aim.
- beyond〔out〕 of one's reach
达不到 not to be acquired
- within reach
伸手可及 inside the distance that a hand, etc. can be stretched out
- reach a condition 达到一定的状态
- reach a decision 作出决定
- reach a good old age 到了很老的年龄
- reach a large amount 成了很大的数目
- reach a level 达到一定的水平
- reach a particular stage 达到特定阶段
- reach a second edition 再版
- reach an agreement 达成一项协议
- reach an identity of views 取得一致看法
- reach bottom 到底
- reach full manhood 到了成年
- reach home 到家
- reach land 到达陆地,找到稳固的立脚点
- reach one's hands 伸出手
- reach the case 适用于这种情况
- reach the conclusion 得出结论
- reach the goal 到达目的地
- reach late 很迟到达
- reach early 很早到达
- reach accurately 精确地达到
- reach apparently 明显地达到
- reach automatically 自动达到
- reach conveniently 方便联络
- reach deliberately 刻意地达到
- reach delightedly 高兴地达到
- reach eventually 最终达到
- reach grudgingly 勉强地达到
- reach indirectly 间接达到
- reach partially 部分达到
- reach probably 可能达到
- reach promptly 迅速伸出手臂
- reach quickly 迅速达到
- reach rapidly 迅速达到
- reach safely 安全到达
- reach shortly 立即达到
- reach simultaneously 同时达到
- reach slowly 慢慢地达到
- reach temporarily 暂时达到
- reach ultimately 最后到达
- reach utterly 完全达到
- reach wholly 完全达到
- reach down (使)向下移动
- reach down one's hat 伸手脱帽
- reach down the book 把那本书拿下来
- reach out one's hand 伸出手
- reach up 抬起
- reach across 伸过
- reach after 竭力想达到〔得到〕
- reach after fame and fortune 追名逐利
- reach at 竭力想达到〔得到〕
- reach at a flower 伸手去折花
- reach for 伸手取,想得到
- reach for the roof 举双手投降
- reach in time 及时到达
- reach into 把手伸进
- reach out for mutual understanding 努力达到相互理解
- reach to 延伸到
- reach to the knee 达到膝部
- automatic reach 自动延伸
- boundless reach 无限延伸
- desolating reach 孤独的伸向
- easy reach 容易伸到
- endless reach 一直延伸
- extended reach 延伸
- illimitable reach 无限伸向
- keen reach 渴望够得到
- naughty reach 令人反感的限度
- side reach 侧向伸出长度
- sighing reach 渴望够得着
- timid reach 害怕触及
- utmost reach 最大限度范围
- wide reach 范围大触及
- wistful reach 渴望获得
- arid reaches 干涸的河段
- beautiful reaches of the Thames 泰晤士河的美丽的河段
- sandy reaches 沙质的河段
- trackless reaches 人迹未到的河段
- vast reaches 广阔的河段
- wonderful reach 很丰富的想象力
- above reach 所不能及的
- beyond sb's reach 非某人力所能及
- get sth by a long reach (费力地)伸手拿到某物
- out of sb's reach 非某人力所能及
- out of the reach of danger 脱离险境
- within easy reach of 在…附近
Great reaches of clear sky.出自： J. Fowles
The furthest reaches of the Empire.出自： R. D. Laing
The low..tree whose branches she could reach.出自： A. Uttley
- reach的基本意思是指人“到达”某地,引申可表示某人与其他人“达成”了一致的意见、协议等; 用于指物可表示某条道路、路线等“延伸”至某一地方,引申可表示某消息、影响“传到”某处。
- reach既可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词或代词作宾语,还可接双宾语,其间接宾语可以转化为介词for的宾语。用作不及物动词时,常与after, for, to等介词连用。
- When will we reach Datong?
- The highway reaches to Datong.
- The baby reached at the ball.
- The baby reached for the ball.
误 We reached to London in the morning.
正 We reached London in the morning.
误 She reached the company for two hours.
正 She reached the company two hours ago.
正 It's two hours since she reached the company.
误 Just then an old man reached me.
正 Just then an old man came up to me.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的estorer，意为延长，拿稳；最初源自西日耳曼语的raikjan，意为伸展开手。