- v. 选举；选择
- adj. 精选的；当选的；[神学]被上帝选中的
- n. 被选中者；[神学]上帝的选民
- vt. 选举 choose by voting
- vt. 选择,决定 choose to direct to do sth
an exclusive group of people;
"one of the elect who have power inside the government"
selected as the best;
"an elect circle of artists"
elected but not yet installed in office;
"the president elect"
select by a vote for an office or membership;
"We elected him chairman of the board"
"I elected to have my funds deposited automatically"
- They elected him chairman.
- They organized a poll to elect a president.
- You can't elect to deal at some other rate.
- The President elect will be installed next week.
- Voters in New Jersey and Virginia will head to the polls to elect governors.
- Americans elect a President every four years.
- They elected a new mayor.
- We elected two deputies among us.
- Concentrators in geological sciences elect either geology or geography.
- The chairman was elected by secret ballot.
- I elect to stay.
- He elected to become an engineer.
- She has elected to become an agronomist.
- They elected to go on foot.
- If you elect to be tried by a jury, the justices will refer the case to quarter sessions.
- Employees may elect to take their pensions in monthly payments or as single lump sum.
- They elected to die fighting rather than surrender.
- He elected that he should become a doctor.
- We elected him (to be) monitor.
- They elected him (as) President.
- They elected Tom (as) their Member of Parliament.
- He was elected to be monitor.
- Only someone born in the US can be elected as President.
- She was elected as chairman.
- They elected him to speak at the meeting.
- The committee is made up of men and women elected by the people.
- elect to (v.+prep.)
选进 vote for a position for sb in a chosen group
elect sb to sth
They elected me to the Board of Directors.
After only a year in the sports club, the youngest player was elected to the committee.
Two women have been elected to the council.
- elect unanimously 一致选举
The Bride elect dissolved in tears.出自： C. Wilmot
He went down to take among the crew his rightful place as hero-elect of a legend in the making.出自： T. Heggen
Each Town Council elected a delegate.出自： H. Cox
I have been elected chairman of the Parish Council.出自： E. Waugh
- elect是及物动词,作“选举”解时,跟名词、代词作宾语,也可接动词不定式或“(to be/as)+ n. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。elect可用于被动结构。
- elect, appoint, designate, name, nominate
- designate指当权的人或机构的选拔和任命,口气非常正式,有时到了生硬的程度; name则指不侧重选择,强调宣布,语气不那么正式,常用于政治机构或政府办公室人员的提名; nominate从词源学看,与name等同,但意思不同,指提出人选,供决策人取舍; elect指从候选人中作出最后的选择; appoint指不经选举的任命,任命人在法律上有这样的权力,这种选举本身可能是专断的,也可能是明智的。
- elect, choose, collect, pick, select, single
- My wife is going with me to help me pick out a new suit.我妻子和我一起去以帮我挑选一件新西装。
- I like collecting stamps very much, and I've also collected many foreign stamps.我非常喜欢集邮,我还收集了许多外国邮票。
- It is highly important for us to choose and train successors.对我们来说,挑选和培养接班人是十分重要的。
- The students chose him as their monitor because they liked him.学生们选他做班长,因为他们喜欢他。
- The greedy boy chose the largest apple in the dish.那贪心的孩子从盘中挑了一个最大的苹果。
- You may choose from them the one you like best.你可从它们中间选出你最喜欢的一个。
- They chose her a secretary.他们选择她做秘书。
- He was chosen our team leader.他被选为我们的队长。
- They selected a diamond engagement ring.他们挑选了一枚钻石订婚戒指。
- Why didn't you select a nice subject?你为什么没选一个好题目?
- Select the book you want.选你需要的书。
- We selected her to represent us.我们选她作为我们的代表。
- He selected the village as a base of operation.他选择了该村为试验基地。
- He selected a pair of socks to match his suit.他为配他的那身衣服选了一双袜子。
- We elected the captain of our football team by a show of hands.我们举手选举我们的足球队长。
- Only someone born in the United States can be elected as President.只有在美国出生的人才可以被选为美国总统。
- The committee is made up of men and women elected by the people.委员会是由人民选出的人员组成。
- He was singled out to succeed his uncle.他被选出来继承他叔叔的产业。