- n. 观点；看法；要点；重点；特点；点；地点；小数点；尖端；岬角；海角；意义；目标；分数；(罗盘上的)方位点；(温度的)点；插座；(字体)磅值
- v. 指；指向；朝向；瞄准；灰泥或水泥勾（某物）的砖缝
- [C]要点,论点,观点 thing said as part of a discussion
- [C]尖端,尖儿 sharp or tapered end of sth; tip
- [C]点; 小数点 thing that has position but no size, e.g. the place where two lines cross; any dot used in writing or printing, e.g. as a full stop, as a marker of decimals, etc
- [C](某一)时刻,(某一)地点 particular time or instant; particular place or locality
- [C]分数,得分 unit of measurement, value, scoring, etc.
- [U][S]目的,意图 aim, goal, end, objective
- [C]条款,细目 individual idea of sth said, done or planned; single item or detail
- vt. 削尖 make a point on
- vt. & vi. 指; 指向 call attention to sth/sb; show the position or direction of sth/sb
- vt. 增强 give force to
a geometric element that has position but no extension;
"a point is defined by its coordinates"
the precise location of something; a spatially limited location;
"she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
a brief version of the essential meaning of something;
"get to the point"
"he missed the point of the joke"
"life has lost its point"
an isolated fact that is considered separately from the whole;
"several of the details are similar"
"a point of information"
a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process;
"a remarkable degree of frankness"
"at what stage are the social sciences?"
an instant of time;
"at that point I had to leave"
the object of an activity;
"what is the point of discussing it?"
a V shape;
"the cannibal's teeth were filed to sharp points"
a very small circular shape;
"a row of points"
"draw lines between the dots"
the unit of counting in scoring a game or contest;
"he scored 20 points in the first half"
"a touchdown counts 6 points"
a promontory extending out into a large body of water;
"they sailed south around the point"
a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list;
"he noticed an item in the New York Times"
"she had several items on her shopping list"
"the main point on the agenda was taken up first"
a style in speech or writing that arrests attention and has a penetrating or convincing quality or effect
an outstanding characteristic;
"his acting was one of the high points of the movie"
"he stuck the point of the knife into a tree"
"he broke the point of his pencil"
any of 32 horizontal directions indicated on the card of a compass;
"he checked the point on his compass"
a linear unit used to measure the size of type; approximately 1/72 inch
one percent of the total principal of a loan; it is paid at the time the loan is made and is independent of the interest on the loan
a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations;
"in England they call a period a stop"
a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer;
"the point of the arrow was due north"
the dot at the left of a decimal fraction
the property of a shape that tapers to a sharp tip
a distinguishing or individuating characteristic;
"he knows my bad points as well as my good points"
the gun muzzle's direction;
"he held me up at the point of a gun"
a wall socket
a contact in the distributor; as the rotor turns its projecting arm contacts them and current flows to the spark plugs
indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively;
"I showed the customer the glove section"
"He pointed to the empty parking space"
"he indicated his opponents"
"The weather vane points North"
"the dancers toes pointed outward"
direct into a position for use;
"point a gun"
"He charged his weapon at me"
direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
be a signal for or a symptom of;
"These symptoms indicate a serious illness"
"Her behavior points to a severe neurosis"
"The economic indicators signal that the euro is undervalued"
sail close to the wind
mark (Hebrew words) with diacritics
mark with diacritics;
"point the letter"
mark (a psalm text) to indicate the points at which the music changes
be positionable in a specified manner;
"The gun points with ease"
intend (something) to move towards a certain goal;
"He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face"
"criticism directed at her superior"
"direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
indicate the presence of (game) by standing and pointing with the muzzle;
"the dog pointed the dead duck"
give a point to;
"The candles are tapered"
repair the joints of bricks;
"point a chimney"
- I have tried to get my point across.
- OK, you've made your point!
- I don't see the point of her last remark.
- He missed the whole point of my speech.
- Your weak point is your constant need for approval.
- Rose's strong point is her phenomenal memory for dates.
- The line AB cuts the line CD at the point E.
- It is not feasible to build a bridge at that point.
- I'll wait for you at the meeting point in the arrivals hall.
- One digit always precedes the decimal point.
- The trainer stands in front of the elephant holding a long stick with a sharp metal point.
- The ship sailed around the point.
- Soon after, the lugger doubled the point and disappeared.
- There's really no point in arguing about pinpoints.
- During that time, many delegations had shown maximum flexibility to reach the point they had come to.
- She needs to win this point to level the score.
- Heat the water till it reaches boiling point.
- The melting point of lead is lower than that of iron.
- There is a power point for shaver in the bathroom .
- The font size is specified by a point value.
- He pointed at the diagram to illustrate his point.
- The hands of the clock point to five o'clock.
- The rooftop rotates to allow the telescope to point in any direction.
- Don't point your pistol at me.
- Just point the camera and press the button.
- Let's try to clear up our difficult and doubtful points.
- This is the first point I want to make.
- His deeds give point to his words.
- To go back to the point you have just mentioned is worthless.
- Some of these points will have to be further elaborated as we go along.
- We argued the point for half an hour.
- We must bring the rest of the committee round to our point of view.
- I wish I could bring you to see the situation from my point of view.
- When you buy new pens, get one with a sharper point.
- His remarks lack point.
- Draw a circle through three given points.
- When we read out 4.23, we say “four point two three”.
- Sparks flew from the points of their ice axes.
- Many points in his article were challenged.
- Several times he almost brought himself to the point of speaking to them, but his courage failed him.
- He insisted that we should call in a specialist at this point.
- The bridge crosses the river at its narrowest point.
- We should realize that that place is a very important strategic point.
- He conceded ten points to his opponent.
- Tom conceded John five points.
- Jim, the champion, seemed to end up two to three points ahead just about every night.
- After a certain number of points, the players changed round so that neither could benefit unduly from the wind or the position of the sun.
- The point is how to arrange our daily life well.
- Will you advise on these points?
- I'll advise with him on these points.
- If we want to reach an agreement before midnight, we must now descend to particulars; we've dealt with all the general points.
- They contested every point.
- I think this point should come under the second sub-heading.
- I'll come back to that point later.
- With these facts established, we can proceed to the next point.
- You should copy his good points, not his bad points.
- What are her best points as a secretary?
- The points man abandoned his wife and children.
- It was then that she reached the point when she could no longer stand it.
- If the situation deteriorates to the point where military intervention becomes necessary, they will no doubt use their strength.
- It's rude to point.
- You had better point your pencil with this knife.
- Point this pencil for me, please.
- What I need is to point my argument with facts.
- He pointed his boat northward.
- a sore point
痛处,伤心事 the thing that makes sb unhappy
- at the point of
- at the point of a sword〔gun〕
以死威胁(某人) by threatening sb with death or wounding by a sword, gun, etc.
- come to the point
开门见山; 直接说要点 action or decision comes
- have one's points
有优点 have certain good qualities
- in point
- in point of
关于,就…而论 about, as far as
- in point of fact
事实上,实际上 in reality; actually
- labour the point
过分啰唆; 强调 give importance to; explain fully what one is proposing
labour the point that-clause
He laboured the point that we should be punctual.
He laboured the point that the defendant killed the boy accidentally.
He laboured the point that we should always be honest.
- make a point
特别重视某一事项 do sth because one considers it important or necessary
make a point of sth/v-ing
The Chinese make a point of their personal honor.
She makes a point of countering his advice.
她决意反驳他的建议。make it a point to-v
The people make it a point to esteem the art of conversation in France.
- make one's point
讲出关键性问题 explain fully what one is proposing
- no point in
(做…)是没有用处的 there is no interest in doing sth
no point in v-ing
There's no point in starting the task unless you're prepared to carry it through to the end.
There's no point in abandoning oneself to a life pleasure.
There's no point in agreeing to accompany him to the theater.
I see no point in eating out so often with a spacious and well-equipped kitchen at home.
I can see no point in fighting it out; why do you want to argue?
- not to put too fine a point on it
不客气地说 speak plainly
- off〔beside〕 the point
- on the point of
on the point of v-ing
I was on the point of going to bed when you rang.
He is on the point of sending for you.
I was on the point of leaving when you called.
- point by point
一点一点地 step by step
- point for point
一点一点地对比 contrast step by step
- point to point
从一点到另一点 from one point to other point
- score a point
得分; 记分 gain points, goals, etc.(in a sport, game, competition, examination, etc.); record the score of a sports match as it is played
- stretch a point
作牵强附会地说明make a farfetched interpretation
- point against (v.+prep.)
对着,指着,顶着direct sth at
point against sb/sth
He took up a stick, pointed against the wall, and didn't allow anyone to pass by.
The little boy played with his grandmother, his toy gun pointing against her head.
- point at (v.+prep.)
(把…)对准,指向aim sth at; direct people's attention at; show the position or direction of
point at sb/sth
The old man pointed at one of the largest and most expensive of the puddings and said,“Kindly pack me up this here.”
The guide pointed at a pagoda and told us that it was built hundreds of years ago.
导游指着一座宝塔,告诉我们说这是数百年前修建的。point sth at sb/sth
The enemy pointed their guns at her head but she was not afraid.
He pointed the telescope at a deer on the hillside.
The fireman pointed his hose at the flames.
- point for (v.+prep.)
准备 prepare for
point for sth
The team was pointing for the game with the neighbouring college.
- point off (v.+adv.)
分开 come apart
point sth ⇔ off
She has forgotten to point off the last two figures of 4235.
- point out (v.+adv.)
指出; 把注意力引向…indicate; draw attention to
point sb/sth ⇔ out
The guide pointed out the principal sights of the city.
The teacher pointed out the mistakes in my composition.
He pointed out the advantages of the plan.
The arrow on the sign points out the right way to go.
He proudly pointed out the biggest sheep, which already weighed 150 kilograms.
Look at the photographs and see if you can point out the man who attacked you.
If I make any mistakes, please point them out.
Can you point me out in this picture?
Mistakes in the printing should be pointed out at once.
印刷品上的错误应立即予以指出。point out that-clause
The clerk to whom we handed the form pointed out that it had not been properly filled in.
The school secretary pointed out that the closing date for making applications had passed.
学校秘书叫人注意申请日期已经过了。point sb/sth ⇔ out to sb
As we passed through the street he pointed out the museum to me.
He pointed out the finest pictures to me.
Luckily the man knew Mr. Green and pointed him out to us.
The guide took us through the city, pointing interesting sights out to us.
I pointed out to him the folly of his conduct.
It is time someone pointed out to Tom the stupidity of his behavior.
What important buildings did the guide point out to you in your trip around the city?
It was pointed out to us that the office was closed.
It was pointed out to him that his application had arrived late, and therefore the committee were under no obligation to consider it.
- point to (v.+prep.)
表明; 表示give signs of; suggest or indicate sth
- point up (v.+adv.)
显示; 清楚表明show clearly the qualities of
- accomplish the point 实现意图
- achieve the point 达到意图
- answer the point 符合意图,能解决问题
- argue point 辩论观点
- arrive at point 达到某种程度
- attain the point 达到目的
- bring up point 提出论点
- catch point 抓住要点
- come to point 扼要地说
- conceal the point 掩盖意图
- cover point 包括论点
- cut to point 强调要点
- discuss point 讨论观点
- drive point home 把论点讲透彻,彻底阐明观点
- explain point 解释论点
- fit sb's point 适合某人的意图
- fulfil the point 实现意图
- gain the point 达到目的
- get point 明白
- get to point 击中要害
- grasp point 抓住要点
- grow to point 强调要点
- hammer point home 把论点讲透彻,彻底阐明观点
- illustrate point 阐明观点
- keep to point 扣住主题,抓住要点
- labor point 冗长地谈论观点
- lack point 抓不住要点
- make point 立论,证明论点,提出某一论点并被接受,坚持,强调主张
- meet the points of 迎合…的意图
- miss point 抓不住要点
- obtain the point 达到目的
- press point home 把论点讲透彻,彻底阐明观点
- prove point 证明论点
- raise point 提出论点
- reach point 到达某一地点,达到某种程度
- realize the point 实现意图
- review point 评论观点
- score point 得分
- see point 明白,看到要点
- serve the point 起作用,符合意图,能解决问题
- shave point 为达到非法目的而操纵比赛的结果
- speak to point 说到要害上
- stress point 强调论点
- stretch point 通融,对观点作牵强附会的说明
- suit sb's point 适合某人的意图
- sum up point 总结要点
- underscore point 强调观点
- understand point of view 理解观点
- win point 证实论点
- yield point 在某一点上让步
- additional point 补充的一点
- bad point 缺点
- basic point 基本观点
- central point 中心意图
- certain point 某种程度
- chief point 主要意图
- commercial point 商业意图
- common point 共同点
- critical point 关键时刻
- decorative point 装饰意图
- definite point 明确的意图
- direct point 直接意图
- double point 双重作用
- essential point 基本要点
- fine point 细节,微妙处
- focal point 焦点
- good point 优点,令人信服的观点
- hidden point 不可告人的意图
- high point 高点,高峰
- key point 要点
- low point 低点
- main point 主要论点
- major point 主要点
- minor point 次要点
- no point 没有理由,无济于事,毫无意义,没有必要
- original point 有独创性的见解
- political point 政治意图
- practical point of view 实际的观点
- primary point 根本意图
- religious point 宗教的意图
- scientific point of view 科学的见解
- selfish point 自私的意图
- sharp point 尖端
- some point 相当成功
- sore point 伤心的话题,令人难堪的话题
- strategic point 战略要点
- strong point 优点
- subtle point 细微之处
- talking point 有趣或可争辩的话题
- technical point 技术要点
- telling point 有说服力的论据
- vital point 极其重要的一点
- weak point 缺点
- magnetic point 磁极
- negative point 负极,阴极
- positive point 正极,阳极
- assembly point 集合地点
- boiling point 沸点
- breaking point 破损点,忍耐极限
- check point 检查站
- danger point 危险地点
- division point 意见分歧点
- exclamation point 感叹号
- flash point 燃点
- pressure point 压力点
- saturation point 饱和点
- starting point 起点,出发点
- storage point 贮藏所
- turning point 转折点
- advertising point 广告意图
- business point 营业意图
- reference point 参考意图
- five points 五分
- game point 决胜分
- match point 决胜分
- set point 决胜分
- pen point 钢笔尖
- at point 在某一点,即将…之时
- at all point 在各方面,充分地,彻底地
- at point of 接近,正要,即将,将近…的时候,在…点上
- at point of death 临终时
- at point of gun 在枪口下,在暴力威胁下
- at that point of history 在历史上的那个时刻
- beside point 离题,不着边际
- by point 逐点
- for point 朝某一方位
- from point to point 从一点到另一点,一项一项地
- from this point to that point 从这点到那点
- in point 中肯的,切题的
- in point of 就…而言
- in point of ability 就才能而言
- in point of fact 就事实而论
- in point of law 就法律而言
- off point 不着边际
- on point 即将…之时
- on〔upon〕 point of 正要…的时候
- on point of going out 即将外出
- on point of leaving 马上就要离开
- win on point 凭得分取胜(不是把对方击倒在地)
- to point 中肯,扼要
- under 60 point 低于60分
- up to point 到…程度,到此为止
- with this point in view 考虑到这一点
- point for 详细地,正确地
- point in 在…方面有用
- point in doubt 怀疑点
- point in grammar 有关语法的问题
- point near island 岛屿附近某地
- point of death 弥留时刻
- point of historical interest 有历史价值的地点
- point of no return 航线临界点,破釜沉舟,只能进不能退的地步
- point of order 有关议事的程序问题
- point of view 观点
- point to 有…理由,有…必要
- point under discussion 正在讨论的问题
- point forward 指向前方
- point north 指向北边
- point right and left 指手画脚
- point carefully 小心翼翼地对准
- point cautiously 小心地对准〔指向〕
- point cleverly 机敏地对准〔指向〕
- point conclusively 最后指向
- point confidently 满怀信心地对准
- point considerably 相当强调
- point coolly 冷静地对准〔指向〕
- point deliberately 故意对准
- point directly 直接地指向
- point excitedly 激动地指向
- point incompetently 不熟练地对准〔指向〕
- point intelligently 明智地对准〔指向〕
- point ludicrously 荒唐可笑地指向
- point mournfully 沉痛地指向
- point mutually 相互对准〔指向〕
- point mysteriously 神秘地对准
- point proudly 自豪地对准
- point safely 很有把握地对准〔指向〕
- point sagely 明智地对准〔指向〕
- point shrewdly 机灵地对准〔指向〕
- point significantly 意味深长地暗示
- point slowly 慢慢对准
- point slyly 偷偷摸摸地对准
- point solemnly 严肃地对准〔指向〕
- point sternly 严厉地对准〔指向〕
- point timidly 胆怯地指向
- point triumphantly 得意洋洋地指向
- point unconsciously 不知不觉地对准〔指向〕
- point unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地对准〔指向〕
- point wisely 明智地对准
- point off figures 用逗号将数字分开
- point out mistakes 指出错误
- point up 强调
Did the Allies follow Germany's example? This is an important point.出自： J. F. Kennedy
Three main points of disagreement.出自： A. Phillips
The CPI..withheld support from Sanjay's five-point youth program.出自：Time
Rather than pointing her..depression, the picture comforted her.出自： W. Sansom
Stabbing at the air..to point the turns in his argument.出自： K. Amis
- point用作名词时的意思比较多,可作“要点,论点,观点,尖端,尖儿,点; 小数点,标点,(某一)时刻,(某一)地点,分数,得分,条款,细目”“特点,特征,长处”等解,均用作可数名词。作“目的,意图”解时,是不可数名词,多与the 连用。
- in point意思是“切题的,恰当的”; in point of意思是“就…而言,在…方面”; make a point of sth 意思是“特别重视某一事项”; not to put too fine a point on it意思是“不客气地说,直截了当地说”。
- point既可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时接名词或代词作宾语; 用作不及物动词时,常与介词to,at,towards等连用,表示“指向某位置或方向”,或者表示“表明”“暗示”等。
- point作为名词使用时，通常用短语“point of view”来表达一个“观点”或者“意见”；
- 当表达“这是...的观点”时，通常用“from...point of view”，例如from my point of view...(我的观点是...)；
They pointed us out the building.
- at the point of, in point of, on the point of
- 1.at the point of和on the point of的意思都是“将近…的时候”“即将…的时候”,前者多接名词,后者多接动名词。例如:
- The boy hurt in the accident lay at the point of death for weeks, then he got well.事故中受伤的男孩生命垂危达数星期,后来他恢复了健康。
- I'm glad you've come.I was on the point of telephoning you, but you've saved me the trouble now.你来了,我真高兴。刚才我正要给你打电话,但现在你让我省事了。
- 2.in point of意思是“关于”“就…而论”。例如:
- In point of that test,I have discussed with him. 关于那个试验,我已经和他讨论了。
- 3.on the point of比 at the point of表示的时间更迫近。试体会：
- The man was at the point of death.
- The man was on the point of death.
- point by point, point for point, point to point
- 1.point by point的意思是“一点一点地”。例如:
- The fire burns down point by point.火一点一点地变弱了。
- 2.point for point的意思是“一点一点地对比”。例如:
- Point for point you must choose between the two men.一点一点地对比你必须在这两人中间挑一个。
- 3.point to point的意思是“从一点到另一点”。例如:
- We advanced from point to point.我们从一点走向另一点。
- point of view, advice, counsel, opinion, view
- 1.point of view指看问题的角度,着眼于对事物的考虑方法,多指别人的观点。例如:
- It is wrong to approach a problem from a metaphysical point of view.用形而上学的观点来看待问题是错误的。
- He always imposes his opinion upon others.他总是把自己的意见强加于人。
- The opinion is accepted as true.这个意见被认为是正确的。
- Most of my classmates accord in that opinion.我们班大多数同学都是那个意见。
- You had better follow his counsel.你最好听从他的忠告。
- They refused to listen to the old man's counsel.他们不听老人的劝告。
- His views are conservative.他的见解是保守的。
- He asked me to give him some advice.他请我给他提些建议。
- I accepted his advice in buying a new car.我听了他的话买了辆新车。
- She countered that her advice had not been heeded.她反驳说她的建议未被重视。
- She pricked herself with the point of a needle.
- She pricked herself on the point of a needle.
- The roof seems on the point of falling in.
- The roof seems at the point of falling in.
- He made a point of drawing him into the conversation.
- He made it a point to draw him into the conversation.
- point at, point to
- 这两个短语的意思有所区别：point to的意思是“指向”; 而point at的意思是“指着”,含有某种目的性。以事物作主语时,用point to更常见。例如:
- The needle of a compass points to the north.罗盘指向北方。
- We must teach our children that it is not polite and ill-bred to point at people.我们必须教育自己的孩子,用手指人是不礼貌的,没教养的。
- 另外, point at可分开用,即point后直接跟名词或代词作宾语, at表示方向; 而point to不能这样用。例如:
- Point the gun at the target.用枪对准靶子。
- point, aim, level, train
- 1.瞄准方法不同:aim指端起枪瞄准; train指把枪放在对准其目标的位置上; level指把枪放在水平位置上瞄准; point则指以某物的一端或尖端对准某一点。例如:
- The army trained its cannon on the fort.军队把大炮对准了要塞。
- The second sentry leveled his halberd at the parson's breast.第二个警卫把他的戟对准了牧师的胸口。
- He pointed his finger at me.他用手指着我。
- 2.搭配范围不同:aim和train可以表示以镜头对准; 而level和point不能这样用。例如可以说He trained the camera upon the children.它把相机对准孩子们。
- 3.连用的介词不同:aim与at, for连用; train与on〔upon〕连用; level与at, against 连用; 而point则与at, to连用。
- 4.使用场合不同:aim for多见于较正式的文体中。
- point out, indicate, show
- 1.point out更强调“指出”。例如:
- She pointed out that the closing date for making applications had passed.她指出申请的截止日期已经过了。
- Does the mark of the wound still show?伤痕还看得出吗?
- Tickets, please. Show your tickets.票,请把票拿出来。
- A signpost indicated the right road for us to follow.一个路标给我们指示应走的路。
- The state of his clothes indicates clearly that he has been playing football.他的衣服表明他一直在踢足球。
误 There's no point to cry now.
正 There's no point in crying now.
正 There's no point crying now.如果情况属实,再跟他争辩就没有意义了。
误 If it is the case, there is no point to argue further with him.
正 If it is the case, there is no point in arguing further with him.
正 If it is the case, there is no point arguing further with him.
析 there's no point后不能接动词不定式,只能接(in) v -ing结构。为了完成这件事,我们必须做到两点。
误 In order to finish the work, we must do two points.
正 In order to finish the work, we must do two things.
误 He pointed the sign on the wall.
正 He pointed at〔to〕 the sign on the wall.时针指向一点半。
误 The hands of the clock pointed at half past one.
正 The hands of the clock pointed to half past one.
误 He was pointing the gun to me.
正 He was pointing the gun at me.
析 point表示“指”,是不及物动词,表示“指着…”要用point at〔to〕 ...,作“把…指向…”“把…对准…”解时point是及物动词,要用point...at结构。我指出了她的错误。
误 I pointed to her mistake.
正 I pointed out her mistake.讲解员给我们指出了所有有意思的东西。
误 The guide pointed to us all the objects of interest.
正 The guide pointed out to us all the objects of interest.一切证据都表明他有罪。
误 All evidences point out his guilt.
正 All evidences point to his guilt.
析 point out表示“指出…”,相当于及物动词的用法,后接宾语; point to意为“说明”“表明”。他把枪放在洞里,枪口朝外。
误 He placed his gun in the hole, pointed outward.
正 He placed his gun in the hole, pointing outward.
- ☆ 直接源自拉丁语的pungere，意为刺穿。