- [C]要点,论点,观点 thing said as part of a discussion
- [C]尖端,尖儿 sharp or tapered end of sth; tip
- [C]点; 小数点 thing that has position but no size, e.g. the place where two lines cross; any dot used in writing or printing, e.g. as a full stop, as a marker of decimals, etc
- [C](某一)时刻,(某一)地点 particular time or instant; particular place or locality
- [C]分数,得分 unit of measurement, value, scoring, etc.
- [U][S]目的,意图 aim, goal, end, objective
- [C]条款,细目 individual idea of sth said, done or planned; single item or detail
- vt. 削尖 make a point on
- vt. & vi. 指; 指向 call attention to sth/sb; show the position or direction of sth/sb
- vt. 增强 give force to
- a geometric element that has position but no extension;
"a point is defined by its coordinates"
- the precise location of something; a spatially limited location;
"she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
- a brief version of the essential meaning of something;
"get to the point"
"he missed the point of the joke"
"life has lost its point"
- an isolated fact that is considered separately from the whole;
"several of the details are similar"
"a point of information"
- a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process;
"a remarkable degree of frankness"
"at what stage are the social sciences?"
- an instant of time;
"at that point I had to leave"
- the object of an activity;
"what is the point of discussing it?"
- a V shape;
"the cannibal's teeth were filed to sharp points"
- a very small circular shape;
"a row of points"
"draw lines between the dots"
- the unit of counting in scoring a game or contest;
"he scored 20 points in the first half"
"a touchdown counts 6 points"
- a promontory extending out into a large body of water;
"they sailed south around the point"
- a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list;
"he noticed an item in the New York Times"
"she had several items on her shopping list"
"the main point on the agenda was taken up first"
- a style in speech or writing that arrests attention and has a penetrating or convincing quality or effect
- an outstanding characteristic;
"his acting was one of the high points of the movie"
- sharp end;
"he stuck the point of the knife into a tree"
"he broke the point of his pencil"
- any of 32 horizontal directions indicated on the card of a compass;
"he checked the point on his compass"
- a linear unit used to measure the size of type; approximately 1/72 inch
- one percent of the total principal of a loan; it is paid at the time the loan is made and is independent of the interest on the loan
- a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations;
"in England they call a period a stop"
- a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer;
"the point of the arrow was due north"
- the dot at the left of a decimal fraction
- the property of a shape that tapers to a sharp tip
- a distinguishing or individuating characteristic;
"he knows my bad points as well as my good points"
- the gun muzzle's direction;
"he held me up at the point of a gun"
- a wall socket
- a contact in the distributor; as the rotor turns its projecting arm contacts them and current flows to the spark plugs
- indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively;
"I showed the customer the glove section"
"He pointed to the empty parking space"
"he indicated his opponents"
- be oriented;
"The weather vane points North"
"the dancers toes pointed outward"
- direct into a position for use;
"point a gun"
"He charged his weapon at me"
- direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
- be a signal for or a symptom of;
"These symptoms indicate a serious illness"
"Her behavior points to a severe neurosis"
"The economic indicators signal that the euro is undervalued"
- sail close to the wind
- mark (Hebrew words) with diacritics
- mark with diacritics;
"point the letter"
- mark (a psalm text) to indicate the points at which the music changes
- be positionable in a specified manner;
"The gun points with ease"
- intend (something) to move towards a certain goal;
"He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face"
"criticism directed at her superior"
"direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
- indicate the presence of (game) by standing and pointing with the muzzle;
"the dog pointed the dead duck"
- give a point to;
"The candles are tapered"
- repair the joints of bricks;
"point a chimney"
- I have tried to get my point across.
- OK, you've made your point!
- I don't see the point of her last remark.
- He missed the whole point of my speech.
- Your weak point is your constant need for approval.
- Rose's strong point is her phenomenal memory for dates.
- The line AB cuts the line CD at the point E.
- It is not feasible to build a bridge at that point.
- I'll wait for you at the meeting point in the arrivals hall.
- One digit always precedes the decimal point.
- The trainer stands in front of the elephant holding a long stick with a sharp metal point.
- The ship sailed around the point.
- Soon after, the lugger doubled the point and disappeared.
- There's really no point in arguing about pinpoints.
- During that time, many delegations had shown maximum flexibility to reach the point they had come to.
- She needs to win this point to level the score.
- Heat the water till it reaches boiling point.
- The melting point of lead is lower than that of iron.
- There is a power point for shaver in the bathroom .
- The font size is specified by a point value.
- He pointed at the diagram to illustrate his point.
- The hands of the clock point to five o'clock.
- The rooftop rotates to allow the telescope to point in any direction.
- Don't point your pistol at me.
- Just point the camera and press the button.
Let's try to clear up our difficult and doubtful points.
This is the first point I want to make.
His deeds give point to his words.
To go back to the point you have just mentioned is worthless.
Some of these points will have to be further elaborated as we go along.
We argued the point for half an hour.
We must bring the rest of the committee round to our point of view.
I wish I could bring you to see the situation from my point of view.
When you buy new pens, get one with a sharper point.
His remarks lack point.
Draw a circle through three given points.
When we read out 4.23, we say “four point two three”.
Sparks flew from the points of their ice axes.
Many points in his article were challenged.
Several times he almost brought himself to the point of speaking to them, but his courage failed him.
He insisted that we should call in a specialist at this point.
The bridge crosses the river at its narrowest point.
We should realize that that place is a very important strategic point.
He conceded ten points to his opponent.
Tom conceded John five points.
Jim, the champion, seemed to end up two to three points ahead just about every night.
After a certain number of points, the players changed round so that neither could benefit unduly from the wind or the position of the sun.
The point is how to arrange our daily life well.
Will you advise on these points?
I'll advise with him on these points.
If we want to reach an agreement before midnight, we must now descend to particulars; we've dealt with all the general points.
They contested every point.
I think this point should come under the second sub-heading.
I'll come back to that point later.
With these facts established, we can proceed to the next point.
You should copy his good points, not his bad points.
What are her best points as a secretary?
The points man abandoned his wife and children.
It was then that she reached the point when she could no longer stand it.
If the situation deteriorates to the point where military intervention becomes necessary, they will no doubt use their strength.
It's rude to point.
You had better point your pencil with this knife.
Point this pencil for me, please.
What I need is to point my argument with facts.
He pointed his boat northward.
- a sore point
痛处,伤心事 the thing that makes sb unhappy
It was a sore point when husbands and wives quarrelled with each other. 夫妻间争吵是很不幸的事。
- 痛处,伤心事 the thing that makes sb unhappy
- at the point of
When Mary broke her bracelet, she was at the point of tears. 当玛丽把心爱的手镯摔坏时,她几乎哭了出来。
He attached himself to the university where he worked at the point of thirty years. 他对那所大学依依不舍,因为他在那里工作了差不多30年。
The soup is at the point of cold; I'll boil it up again for you. 汤快凉了,我给你热一下。
- 将近 nearly
- at the point of a sword〔gun〕
以死威胁(某人) by threatening sb with death or wounding by a sword, gun, etc.
He was captured at the point of a sword trying to escape from the country. 他企图逃出国境时被强制抓获。
Six hundred enemy troops were captured at the point of a gun in this battle. 这次战斗中俘虏敌军600名。
- 以死威胁(某人) by threatening sb with death or wounding by a sword, gun, etc.
- come to the point
开门见山; 直接说要点 action or decision comes
I'm in a hurry, so come to the point. 请开门见山吧,我很忙。
The criminal soon came to the point. 罪犯很快就招供了。
- 开门见山; 直接说要点 action or decision comes
- have one's points
有优点 have certain good qualities
I suppose wine has its points, but I prefer beer. 葡萄酒固然有它的好处,但我还是喜欢啤酒。
A runner can't have his points by even glancing back to see how far behind the others are. 赛跑的人只要回头看看后面的人离他有多远就会大大丧失优势。
Tom has his points over me by getting Dick's support. 汤姆通过得到迪克的支持而胜过我。
- 有优点 have certain good qualities
- in point
The case you take is not in point. 你所说的那个事例不切合当前的主题。
Give two instances in point; that will suffice. 给两个恰当的例子就够了。
- 恰当的 suitable
- in point of
关于,就…而论 about, as far as
In point of ability, she is superior to her elder sister. 就才能而论,她比她姐姐强。
In point of cost, the first plan is better. 就成本而言,第一个计划较好。
Was it an unequal marriage in point of years? 这一婚配在年龄上是否很不相称?
- 关于,就…而论 about, as far as
- in point of fact
事实上,实际上 in reality; actually
I used to think that this sweet tropical fruit grew on a bush, but later learned that in point of fact it grows upon the ground. 我原以为这种甘美的热带水果长在矮树上,后来才知道,它实际是长在地里的。
I got your letter this morning asking for the information, but in point of fact I had just sent it; our letters must have crossed in the post. 今天上午我收到你向我打听那情况的信,事实上,我在这之前就去信告诉你了,我们的信一定在邮寄途中错过了。
They hope, in point of fact, to kill two birds with one stone. 他们实际上是想一举两得。
- 事实上,实际上 in reality; actually
- labour the point
过分啰唆; 强调 give importance to; explain fully what one is proposing labour the point that-clause
He laboured the point that we should be punctual.他过分强调我们应该准时。
He laboured the point that the defendant killed the boy accidentally.他过分强调被告是意外杀死了那个男孩的。
He laboured the point that we should always be honest.他强调我们应该永远诚实。
- 过分啰唆; 强调 give importance to; explain fully what one is proposing labour the point that-clause
- make a point
特别重视某一事项 do sth because one considers it important or necessary make a point of sth/v-ing
The Chinese make a point of their personal honor.中国人特别重视个人面子。
She makes a point of countering his advice.她决意反驳他的建议。make it a point to-v
The people make it a point to esteem the art of conversation in France.在法国,人们十分重视谈话技巧。
- 特别重视某一事项 do sth because one considers it important or necessary make a point of sth/v-ing
- make one's point
讲出关键性问题 explain fully what one is proposing
He had made his point, amid the “hear!hear!”of his small audience. 他在为数不多的听众的“听啊!听啊!”赞许声中讲出了问题的要害。
- 讲出关键性问题 explain fully what one is proposing
- no point in
(做…)是没有用处的 there is no interest in doing sth no point in v-ing
There's no point in starting the task unless you're prepared to carry it through to the end.如果你不准备做到底的话,动手做这一工作是毫无意义的。
There's no point in abandoning oneself to a life pleasure.人只沉溺于放荡的生活之中是没有意义的。
There's no point in agreeing to accompany him to the theater.答应陪他去剧院是没有用的。
I see no point in eating out so often with a spacious and well-equipped kitchen at home.我不明白家里有这么宽敞、设备齐全的厨房,为什么还要经常到外面吃饭。
I can see no point in fighting it out; why do you want to argue?我看争来争去没有意思,你们为什么要争论呢?
- (做…)是没有用处的 there is no interest in doing sth no point in v-ing
- not to put too fine a point on it
不客气地说 speak plainly
Not to put too fine a point on it, we are finished, all washed up. 不用遮掩地说,我们都完蛋了,一切全付诸东流。
He is, not to put too fine a point on it, a thorough scoundrel. 坦率地说,他就是个彻头彻尾的流氓。
- 不客气地说 speak plainly
- off〔beside〕 the point
Don't wander off the point. 不要离题。
Just as we thought we were getting near a solution of the problem, he flew off the point. 恰恰我们以为问题快要解决时,他突然扯起题外话来。
He received low marks for his essay as much of it was off the point. 他的作文得的分数很低,是由于大部分内容不切正题。
Your speech should not have been interlaced with these facts beside the point. 你的讲话不该把这些无关的事情都扯进去。
- 离题的 irrelevant
- on the point of
即将 nearly on the point of v-ing
I was on the point of going to bed when you rang.你打电话的时候我正要睡觉。
He is on the point of sending for you.他正要派人去请你。
I was on the point of leaving when you called.我正准备要走,你突然来了电话。
- 即将 nearly on the point of v-ing
- point by point
一点一点地 step by step
I spoke point by point but I can't get my meaning across. 尽管我一点一点地说,但我的意思仍不被人理解。
His strength declined point by point. 他的体力一点一点地衰退了。
- 一点一点地 step by step
- point for point
一点一点地对比 contrast step by step
Point for point there is little to choose between them. 一点一点地对比他们都不相上下。
- 一点一点地对比 contrast step by step
- point to point
从一点到另一点 from one point to other point
He alternates from point to point. 他常从一个点走向另一个点。
- 从一点到另一点 from one point to other point
- score a point
得分; 记分 gain points, goals, etc.(in a sport, game, competition, examination, etc.); record the score of a sports match as it is played
We scored a point. 我们赢了一分。
In American football, a touchdown scores six points. 在美式橄榄球比赛中,底线得分计六分。
The referee scored five points for〔to〕 him. 裁判判给他五分。
- 得分; 记分 gain points, goals, etc.(in a sport, game, competition, examination, etc.); record the score of a sports match as it is played
- stretch a point
超过范围; 作重大让步permit sth different
Mother stretched a point because it was Christmas time and let the children stay up later than usual. 因为是圣诞节,母亲破例允许孩子比平时睡觉晚。
The children are only allowed two sweets a day,but we might stretch a point today. 孩子们一天只许吃两颗糖,但今天我们可以破例多给一点。
作牵强附会地说明make a farfetched interpretation
It's stretching a point to say the book is important just because it is written by a well-known author. 因为是一位著名作家写的书就把它说成是重要的,这未免有些牵强了。
- 超过范围; 作重大让步permit sth different
- point against (v.+prep.)
对着,指着,顶着direct sth at point against sb/sth
He took up a stick, pointed against the wall, and didn't allow anyone to pass by.他拿起一根棍子,顶着墙,不让任何人通行。
The little boy played with his grandmother, his toy gun pointing against her head.小男孩和奶奶一起玩,他的玩具枪对着奶奶的脑袋。
- 对着,指着,顶着direct sth at point against sb/sth
- point at (v.+prep.)
(把…)对准,指向aim sth at; direct people's attention at; show the position or direction of point at sb/sth
The old man pointed at one of the largest and most expensive of the puddings and said,“Kindly pack me up this here.”老汉指着其中一个最大、最贵的布丁说：“劳驾,请把这边的这个给我包装一下。”
The guide pointed at a pagoda and told us that it was built hundreds of years ago.导游指着一座宝塔,告诉我们说这是数百年前修建的。point sth at sb/sth
The enemy pointed their guns at her head but she was not afraid.敌人把枪口对着她的头,但她并不害怕。
He pointed the telescope at a deer on the hillside.他把望远镜对着山坡上的一只鹿。
The fireman pointed his hose at the flames.消防队员将水龙头对准火焰。
- (把…)对准,指向aim sth at; direct people's attention at; show the position or direction of point at sb/sth
- point for (v.+prep.)
准备 prepare for point for sth
The team was pointing for the game with the neighbouring college.球队正在准备迎接与邻近那所大学的比赛。
- 准备 prepare for point for sth
- point off (v.+adv.)
分开 come apart point sth ⇔ off
She has forgotten to point off the last two figures of 4235.她忘了把4235的最后两位用小数点分开。
- 分开 come apart point sth ⇔ off
- point out (v.+adv.)
指出; 把注意力引向…indicate; draw attention to point sb/sth ⇔ out
The guide pointed out the principal sights of the city.导游指点出该城市的主要观光景点。
The teacher pointed out the mistakes in my composition.老师给我指出了作文中的错误。
He pointed out the advantages of the plan.他对我提出了这一计划的许多优点。
The arrow on the sign points out the right way to go.牌子上的箭头指示该走哪条路。
He proudly pointed out the biggest sheep, which already weighed 150 kilograms.他骄傲地把最大的一只羊指给我们看,它已经有150公斤重了。
Look at the photographs and see if you can point out the man who attacked you.看看这些照片,瞧能不能认出袭击你的那个人。
If I make any mistakes, please point them out.如果我出了错,请指出。
Can you point me out in this picture?你能指出这张照片上哪个是我吗?用于 be ～ed 结构
Mistakes in the printing should be pointed out at once.印刷品上的错误应立即予以指出。point out that-clause
The clerk to whom we handed the form pointed out that it had not been properly filled in.接受我们所交表格的办事员指出,我们填写得不合要求。
The school secretary pointed out that the closing date for making applications had passed.学校秘书叫人注意申请日期已经过了。point sb/sth ⇔ out to sb
As we passed through the street he pointed out the museum to me.当我们经过大街时,他把博物馆指给我看。
He pointed out the finest pictures to me.他把最好的图画指给我看。
Luckily the man knew Mr. Green and pointed him out to us.幸好这个人认识格林先生,把他指给我们看。
The guide took us through the city, pointing interesting sights out to us.那位导游领着我们穿过城市并把沿途风景指给我们看。
I pointed out to him the folly of his conduct.我向他指出了他行为愚蠢。
It is time someone pointed out to Tom the stupidity of his behavior.该有人提醒汤姆注意其行为的愚蠢了。
What important buildings did the guide point out to you in your trip around the city?您参观这座城市的时候,导游向您指出了哪些重要的建筑物?用于 be ～ed 结构
It was pointed out to us that the office was closed.我们被告知办公室关门了。
It was pointed out to him that his application had arrived late, and therefore the committee were under no obligation to consider it.他被告知说,他的申请书到晚了,因此委员会无法进行考虑。
- 指出; 把注意力引向…indicate; draw attention to point sb/sth ⇔ out
- point to (v.+prep.)
显示…的位置或方向show the position or direction of
The building points to the east. 这座楼面朝东。
The teacher points to one of the pictures. 老师指着其中的一幅图片。
Using a long stick, the teacher pointed to a place on the map and asked the children to name it. 老师用一根长长的教鞭指着地图上的一个地方,要求学生说出其名称。
Not far from there, you'll see a signpost pointing to the town you want to go to. 离那儿不远,你就可以看到一个路标,指明你所要去的那个市镇的方向。
The hands of the clock pointed to half past eight.It was time we put our children to bed. 钟的指针指在8点半上,我们该让孩子们上床睡觉了。
He pointed to where the village lay. 他指了指村子所在的地方。
表明; 表示give signs of; suggest or indicate sth
In spite of the fact that he denied revealing the military secret to the enemy, all the evidence pointed to his guilt. 尽管他拒绝承认向敌人泄露军事机密,所有的证据都说明他是有罪的。
One need only points to the increase in violence as an example of the fall in moral values in our time. 仅指出暴力行为加剧就足以证明我们这个时代道德标准的下降。
All the evidence collected so far points to robbery as the motive of the crime. 到目前为止所搜集的全部证据说明,这一犯罪行为的动机是抢劫。
All the signs at the moment point to an early resumption of the fighting between the two countries. 眼下的一切迹象都表明,这两个国家将很快重新开战。
The finds from these burial grounds point to the existence of a prosperous matriarchal society. 这些墓地中发现的东西说明曾经有过一个昌盛的母系社会。
- 显示…的位置或方向show the position or direction of
- point up (v.+adv.)
强调,(使)特别注意put emphasis on; call or give special attention to
The report of the discussions points up the responsibility of teachers. 讨论会的报告特别强调了教师的责任。
显示; 清楚表明show clearly the qualities of
He pointed up his argument with large numbers of facts. 他用大量的事实说明自己的论点。
The recent wage increases point up still further the difference between this government and the last. 近来工资的增加,更进一步显示出本届政府和上届政府的不同。
- 强调,(使)特别注意put emphasis on; call or give special attention to
- accomplish the point 实现意图
- achieve the point 达到意图
- answer the point 符合意图,能解决问题
- argue point 辩论观点
- arrive at point 达到某种程度
- attain the point 达到目的
- bring up point 提出论点
- catch point 抓住要点
- come to point 扼要地说
- conceal the point 掩盖意图
- cover point 包括论点
- cut to point 强调要点
- discuss point 讨论观点
- drive point home 把论点讲透彻,彻底阐明观点
- explain point 解释论点
- fit sb's point 适合某人的意图
- fulfil the point 实现意图
- gain the point 达到目的
- get point 明白
- get to point 击中要害
- grasp point 抓住要点
- grow to point 强调要点
- hammer point home 把论点讲透彻,彻底阐明观点
- illustrate point 阐明观点
- keep to point 扣住主题,抓住要点
- labor point 冗长地谈论观点
- lack point 抓不住要点
- make point 立论,证明论点,提出某一论点并被接受,坚持,强调主张
- meet the points of 迎合…的意图
- miss point 抓不住要点
- obtain the point 达到目的
- press point home 把论点讲透彻,彻底阐明观点
- prove point 证明论点
- raise point 提出论点
- reach point 到达某一地点,达到某种程度
- realize the point 实现意图
- review point 评论观点
- score point 得分
- see point 明白,看到要点
- serve the point 起作用,符合意图,能解决问题
- shave point 为达到非法目的而操纵比赛的结果
- speak to point 说到要害上
- stress point 强调论点
- stretch point 通融,对观点作牵强附会的说明
- suit sb's point 适合某人的意图
- sum up point 总结要点
- underscore point 强调观点
- understand point of view 理解观点
- win point 证实论点
- yield point 在某一点上让步
- additional point 补充的一点
- bad point 缺点
- basic point 基本观点
- central point 中心意图
- certain point 某种程度
- chief point 主要意图
- commercial point 商业意图
- common point 共同点
- critical point 关键时刻
- decorative point 装饰意图
- definite point 明确的意图
- direct point 直接意图
- double point 双重作用
- essential point 基本要点
- fine point 细节,微妙处
- focal point 焦点
- good point 优点,令人信服的观点
- hidden point 不可告人的意图
- high point 高点,高峰
- key point 要点
- low point 低点
- main point 主要论点
- major point 主要点
- minor point 次要点
- no point 没有理由,无济于事,毫无意义,没有必要
- original point 有独创性的见解
- political point 政治意图
- practical point of view 实际的观点
- primary point 根本意图
- religious point 宗教的意图
- scientific point of view 科学的见解
- selfish point 自私的意图
- sharp point 尖端
- some point 相当成功
- sore point 伤心的话题,令人难堪的话题
- strategic point 战略要点
- strong point 优点
- subtle point 细微之处
- talking point 有趣或可争辩的话题
- technical point 技术要点
- telling point 有说服力的论据
- vital point 极其重要的一点
- weak point 缺点
- magnetic point 磁极
- negative point 负极,阴极
- positive point 正极,阳极
- assembly point 集合地点
- boiling point 沸点
- breaking point 破损点,忍耐极限
- check point 检查站
- danger point 危险地点
- division point 意见分歧点
- exclamation point 感叹号
- flash point 燃点
- pressure point 压力点
- saturation point 饱和点
- starting point 起点,出发点
- storage point 贮藏所
- turning point 转折点
- advertising point 广告意图
- business point 营业意图
- reference point 参考意图
- five points 五分
- game point 决胜分
- match point 决胜分
- set point 决胜分
- pen point 钢笔尖
- at point 在某一点,即将…之时
- at all point 在各方面,充分地,彻底地
- at point of 接近,正要,即将,将近…的时候,在…点上
- at point of death 临终时
- at point of gun 在枪口下,在暴力威胁下
- at that point of history 在历史上的那个时刻
- beside point 离题,不着边际
- by point 逐点
- for point 朝某一方位
- from point to point 从一点到另一点,一项一项地
- from this point to that point 从这点到那点
- in point 中肯的,切题的
- in point of 就…而言
- in point of ability 就才能而言
- in point of fact 就事实而论
- in point of law 就法律而言
- off point 不着边际
- on point 即将…之时
- on〔upon〕 point of 正要…的时候
- on point of going out 即将外出
- on point of leaving 马上就要离开
- win on point 凭得分取胜(不是把对方击倒在地)
- to point 中肯,扼要
- under 60 point 低于60分
- up to point 到…程度,到此为止
- with this point in view 考虑到这一点
- point for 详细地,正确地
- point in 在…方面有用
- point in doubt 怀疑点
- point in grammar 有关语法的问题
- point near island 岛屿附近某地
- point of death 弥留时刻
- point of historical interest 有历史价值的地点
- point of no return 航线临界点,破釜沉舟,只能进不能退的地步
- point of order 有关议事的程序问题
- point of view 观点
- point to 有…理由,有…必要
- point under discussion 正在讨论的问题
- point forward 指向前方
- point north 指向北边
- point right and left 指手画脚
- point carefully 小心翼翼地对准
- point cautiously 小心地对准〔指向〕
- point cleverly 机敏地对准〔指向〕
- point conclusively 最后指向
- point confidently 满怀信心地对准
- point considerably 相当强调
- point coolly 冷静地对准〔指向〕
- point deliberately 故意对准
- point directly 直接地指向
- point excitedly 激动地指向
- point incompetently 不熟练地对准〔指向〕
- point intelligently 明智地对准〔指向〕
- point ludicrously 荒唐可笑地指向
- point mournfully 沉痛地指向
- point mutually 相互对准〔指向〕
- point mysteriously 神秘地对准
- point proudly 自豪地对准
- point safely 很有把握地对准〔指向〕
- point sagely 明智地对准〔指向〕
- point shrewdly 机灵地对准〔指向〕
- point significantly 意味深长地暗示
- point slowly 慢慢对准
- point slyly 偷偷摸摸地对准
- point solemnly 严肃地对准〔指向〕
- point sternly 严厉地对准〔指向〕
- point timidly 胆怯地指向
- point triumphantly 得意洋洋地指向
- point unconsciously 不知不觉地对准〔指向〕
- point unhesitatingly 毫不犹豫地对准〔指向〕
- point wisely 明智地对准
- point off figures 用逗号将数字分开
- point out mistakes 指出错误
- point up 强调
Did the Allies follow Germany's exalpme? This is an important point.出自：J. F. Kennedy
Three main points of disagreement.出自：A. Phillips
The CPI..withheld support from Sanjay's five-point youth program.出自：Time
Rather than pointing her..depression, the picture comforted her.出自：W. Sansom
Stabbing at the air..to point the turns in his argument.出自：K. Amis
- point作为名词使用时，通常用短语“point of view”来表达一个“观点”或者“意见”；
- 当表达“这是...的观点”时，通常用“from...point of view”，例如from my point of view...(我的观点是...)；
They pointed us out the building.
They pointed the building out to us.
- point用作名词时的意思比较多,可作“要点,论点,观点,尖端,尖儿,点; 小数点,标点,(某一)时刻,(某一)地点,分数,得分,条款,细目”“特点,特征,长处”等解,均用作可数名词。作“目的,意图”解时,是不可数名词,多与the 连用。
- in point意思是“切题的,恰当的”; in point of意思是“就…而言,在…方面”; make a point of sth 意思是“特别重视某一事项”; not to put too fine a point on it意思是“不客气地说,直截了当地说”。
- point既可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时接名词或代词作宾语; 用作不及物动词时,常与介词to,at,towards等连用,表示“指向某位置或方向”,或者表示“表明”“暗示”等。
- at the point of, in point of, on the point of
这组短语的意思并不完全相同。其区别在于：1.at the point of和on the point of的意思都是“将近…的时候”“即将…的时候”,前者多接名词,后者多接动名词。例如:The boy hurt in the accident lay at the point of death for weeks, then he got well.事故中受伤的男孩生命垂危达数星期,后来他恢复了健康。I'm glad you've come.I was on the point of telephoning you, but you've saved me the trouble now.你来了,我真高兴。刚才我正要给你打电话,但现在你让我省事了。2.in point of意思是“关于”“就…而论”。例如:In point of that test,I have discussed with him. 关于那个试验,我已经和他讨论了。3.on the point of比 at the point of表示的时间更迫近。试体会：
- The man was at the point of death.
- The man was on the point of death.
- point by point, point for point, point to point
这组短语的意思并不相同。其区别在于：1.point by point的意思是“一点一点地”。例如:The fire burns down point by point.火一点一点地变弱了。2.point for point的意思是“一点一点地对比”。例如:Point for point you must choose between the two men.一点一点地对比你必须在这两人中间挑一个。3.point to point的意思是“从一点到另一点”。例如:We advanced from point to point.我们从一点走向另一点。
- point of view, advice, counsel, opinion, view
这组词(组)的共同意思是“意见”或“建议”。其区别在于：1.point of view指看问题的角度,着眼于对事物的考虑方法,多指别人的观点。例如:It is wrong to approach a problem from a metaphysical point of view.用形而上学的观点来看待问题是错误的。2.opinion一般指对事物的看法,包括从纯个人的判断到较权威性的评论。例如:He always imposes his opinion upon others.他总是把自己的意见强加于人。The opinion is accepted as true.这个意见被认为是正确的。Most of my classmates accord in that opinion.我们班大多数同学都是那个意见。3.counsel是正式用语,多指重要的或具有权威性的意见。例如:You had better follow his counsel.你最好听从他的忠告。They refused to listen to the old man's counsel.他们不听老人的劝告。4.view表示对某事物的特殊看法,特指个人学识与感情影响的意见,常用复数形式。例如:His views are conservative.他的见解是保守的。5.advice通常指向某人提出意见或看法,促使对方去做或不做某事以免犯错误,有劝告的意味。例如:He asked me to give him some advice.他请我给他提些建议。I accepted his advice in buying a new car.我听了他的话买了辆新车。She countered that her advice had not been heeded.她反驳说她的建议未被重视。
- She pricked herself with the point of a needle.
- She pricked herself on the point of a needle.
- The roof seems on the point of falling in.
- The roof seems at the point of falling in.
- He made a point of drawing him into the conversation.
- He made it a point to draw him into the conversation.
- point at, point to
这两个短语的意思有所区别：point to的意思是“指向”; 而point at的意思是“指着”,含有某种目的性。以事物作主语时,用point to更常见。例如:The needle of a compass points to the north.罗盘指向北方。We must teach our children that it is not polite and ill-bred to point at people.我们必须教育自己的孩子,用手指人是不礼貌的,没教养的。另外, point at可分开用,即point后直接跟名词或代词作宾语, at表示方向; 而point to不能这样用。例如:Point the gun at the target.用枪对准靶子。
- point, aim, level, train
这组词的共同意思是“对准”“瞄准”,它们之间的区别是:1.瞄准方法不同:aim指端起枪瞄准; train指把枪放在对准其目标的位置上; level指把枪放在水平位置上瞄准; point则指以某物的一端或尖端对准某一点。例如:The army trained its cannon on the fort.军队把大炮对准了要塞。The second sentry leveled his halberd at the parson's breast.第二个警卫把他的戟对准了牧师的胸口。He pointed his finger at me.他用手指着我。2.搭配范围不同:aim和train可以表示以镜头对准; 而level和point不能这样用。例如可以说He trained the camera upon the children.它把相机对准孩子们。3.连用的介词不同:aim与at, for连用; train与on〔upon〕连用; level与at, against 连用; 而point则与at, to连用。4.使用场合不同:aim for多见于较正式的文体中。
- point out, indicate, show
这组词(组)都有“表示”“表明”的意思。其区别在于：1.point out更强调“指出”。例如:She pointed out that the closing date for making applications had passed.她指出申请的截止日期已经过了。2.show通常用于一眼就可以看清的东西,多用于有意识的行为。例如:Does the mark of the wound still show?伤痕还看得出吗?Tickets, please. Show your tickets.票,请把票拿出来。3.indicate常用于无意识的行为。例如:A signpost indicated the right road for us to follow.一个路标给我们指示应走的路。The state of his clothes indicates clearly that he has been playing football.他的衣服表明他一直在踢足球。
误 There's no point to cry now.
正 There's no point in crying now.
正 There's no point crying now.
误 If it is the case, there is no point to argue further with him.
正 If it is the case, there is no point in arguing further with him.
正 If it is the case, there is no point arguing further with him.
析 there's no point后不能接动词不定式,只能接(in) v -ing结构。
误 In order to finish the work, we must do two points.
正 In order to finish the work, we must do two things.
误 He pointed the sign on the wall.
正 He pointed at〔to〕 the sign on the wall.
误 The hands of the clock pointed at half past one.
正 The hands of the clock pointed to half past one.
误 He was pointing the gun to me.
正 He was pointing the gun at me.
析 point表示“指”,是不及物动词,表示“指着…”要用point at〔to〕 ...,作“把…指向…”“把…对准…”解时point是及物动词,要用point...at结构。
误 I pointed to her mistake.
正 I pointed out her mistake.
误 The guide pointed to us all the objects of interest.
正 The guide pointed out to us all the objects of interest.
误 All evidences point out his guilt.
正 All evidences point to his guilt.
析 point out表示“指出…”,相当于及物动词的用法,后接宾语; point to意为“说明”“表明”。
误 He placed his gun in the hole, pointed outward.
正 He placed his gun in the hole, pointing outward.
错句：the point to be said is that we're not labelling anything.
纠正：the point to be made is that we're not labelling anything.
分析：英语的习惯用法是make a point，而不是say a point.
- ☆ 直接源自拉丁语的punegre，意为刺穿。
- POINT:Paraplegics On Independent Nature TripsParaplegics独立自然出游
- POINT:Pursuing Our Italian Names Together (genealogy organization)我们在意大利的追求的名字连在一起(族谱组织)
- POINT:People and Organizations in North Toronto人们和组织在多伦多北部
- point:point n. 点, 尖端, 分数, 要点, 分数vt. 弄尖, 指向, 指出, 瞄准, 加标点于vi. 指, 指向, 表明 英英解释:名词point:1. a geometric element…