- n. 顶部；顶；上面；极点；陀螺
- adj. 最高的；顶端的
- vt. 形成顶部； 达到…的顶端； 处于…的最前头
- vi. 总结； 超越； 高耸； 结束
- 最重要的， 主要的
- =Technical Office Protocols【计】TOP协定，技术办公系统协议
- [C]顶,顶部 the highest point or face
- [C]上部,上端 the upper part
- [S]首位,最高位 the best, most important or most successful part or place
- 最高的,最优良的 of or at the top; highest, most important, etc.
- vt. 加以顶; 盖上盖儿 provide a top for; put a top on
- vt. 到…上面 reach the top of
- vt. 超过; 胜过; 高过 surpass; be taller or higher than; exceed; excel
the upper part of anything;
"the mower cuts off the tops of the grass"
"the title should be written at the top of the first page"
the highest or uppermost side of anything;
"put your books on top of the desk"
"only the top side of the box was painted"
the top or extreme point of something (usually a mountain or hill);
"the view from the peak was magnificent"
"they clambered to the tip of Monadnock"
"the region is a few molecules wide at the summit"
the first half of an inning; while the visiting team is at bat;
"a relief pitcher took over in the top of the fifth"
the highest level or degree attainable; the highest stage of development;
"his landscapes were deemed the acme of beauty"
"the artist's gifts are at their acme"
"at the height of her career"
"the peak of perfection"
"summer was at its peak"
"...catapulted Einstein to the pinnacle of fame"
"the summit of his ambition"
"so many highest superlatives achieved by man"
"at the top of his profession"
the greatest possible intensity;
"he screamed at the top of his lungs"
platform surrounding the head of a lower mast
a conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin;
"he got a bright red top and string for his birthday"
covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container);
"he removed the top of the carton"
"he couldn't get the top off of the bottle"
"put the cover back on the kettle"
a garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips;
"he stared as she buttoned her top"
a canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance;
"he was afraid of a fire in the circus tent"
"they had the big top up in less than an hour"
situated at the top or highest position;
"the top shelf"
be superior or better than some standard;
"She exceeded our expectations"
"She topped her performance of last year"
pass by, over, or under without making contact;
"the balloon cleared the tree tops"
be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point;
"A star tops the Christmas Tree"
be ahead of others; be the first;
"she topped her class every year"
provide with a top or finish the top (of a structure);
"the towers were topped with conical roofs"
reach or ascend the top of;
"The hikers topped the mountain just before noon"
strike (the top part of a ball in golf, baseball, or pool) giving it a forward spin
cut the top off;
"top trees and bushes"
be the culminating event;
"The speech crowned the meeting"
finish up or conclude;
"They topped off their dinner with a cognac"
"top the evening with champagne"
- The mountain tops are covered with snow.
- The staircase was short, and they were soon at the top.
- The green book is at the bottom of the pile and the red one is on top.
- He worked his way to the top of his profession.
- The child gazed at the spinning top.
- I live on the top floor.
- Tall as he is, he cannot reach the top shelf.
- That top belongs to this box.
- The mountaineers did not begin to come down the mountain till they had reached the top.
- She was aiming for the top in her career.
- The top of the box bends back to show the goods.
- The road will bring you up to the top of the cliff.
- The old man was puffing and blowing when he got to the top of the hill.
- I lifted my head and looked up.Red flags were flying from the top of the pass.
- They seldom went far from home, and they fancied that the whole world was seen from the top of their hill.
- She feared for the little boy when she saw him at the top of the tree.
- Mark the total at the top of the page “brought forward”.
- I shouted at the top of my voice and instantly the mountains and valleys answered.
- The light on top of the police car was flashing.
- The house has been redesigned, top and bottom.
- He sits at the top of the table.
- He is at the top of his class.
- He took up residence on the top floor of a hotel.
- I won't pay top prices for goods of inferior quality.
- The top team in each group played off seven games against each other.
- Jim may be a good runner, but when he entered for the top international competitions, he found he had bitten off more than he could chew.
- He is running at top speed.
- She is top in French.
- His car topped the steep hill easily.
- A church tops the hill.
- A steeple tops the church.
- He is going to top the barn tomorrow.
- Please top the box.
- He topped his father by half a head.
- The sun topped the horizon.
- She is expected to top the poll.
- He tops the rest in scholarship.
- The prairie is topped occasionally by low hills.
- top off (v.+adv.)
重新给…加满燃料 resupply or refuel to capacity
top sth ⇔ off
He topped off the hedge.
They topped off their little hut with a straw thatch.
The tallest commercial building in that state was topped off yesterday.
The production figures this month have topped off.
The rise in prices seems to have topped off, so goods should cost the same for a longer time now.
看来物价上涨已达顶点,所以在较长一段时间内物价会保持稳定。top sth ⇔ off
She topped off her dinner with coffee.
Does the car need topping off?
这辆汽车需要加满油吗?top sth ⇔ off
The ship has been topped off with fuel.
- top out (v.+adv.)
举行建筑物落成典礼 perform a ceremony to mark the completion of a high building
When we top out, there will be souvenirs for everyone who has worked on the site.
- top up (v.+adv.)
给…加满 add sth in order to make full
top sb/sth ⇔ up
Your glass is empty, let me top you up.
The waiters were constantly on the move, topping up the glasses.
Could you let me have a small can of water to top up my radiator?
He topped up the car with a special brand of petrol.
- climb up to the top 爬上顶部
- come to the top 来到上面,出名,成功
- cut the top 砍去顶部,削掉顶端
- get to the top 到达顶部
- have a top 得到消息
- hold the top 占首位,居首位
- reach the top 登上顶峰
- go over the top 跳出战壕,采取果断步骤,超过限额
- put on a top 盖上盖子
- screw off a top 旋开盖子
- screw on a top 旋上盖子
- hill top 小山顶
- bottle top 瓶盖
- box top 盒盖
- house top 屋顶,房顶
- mountain top 山顶
- roof top 平顶房的屋顶
- screw top 有螺纹的盖
- tree top 树顶,树尖
- at the top of 处在…的顶部,居于…顶部
- from top to bottom 从头到脚,彻头彻尾
- from the top 从顶部
- on top of the situation 通晓情况,掌握局面
- on the top of sb's tongue 就在某人嘴边的,某人差一点说出口的
- to the top 到顶部
- car without a top 敞篷车
- top of the map 地图的顶端
- top of the mountain 山顶
- top of the page 书眉,页眉
- top of the table 首席
- top of the tree 树顶
The wind blew in the tops of the pine trees.出自： E. Hemingway
I climbed to an upper terrace..and then to the very top.出自： J. Kosinski
He glanced up..over the top of his spectacles.出自： R. Pilcher
I'd rather be topped than do 20 years behind bars.出自：Daily Telegraph
I have been desperately unhappy..but I have never given a thought to topping myself.出自：Sun
- 表示“在…上面”可以说on the top of sth,也可说on top of sth,但“在上面”只能说on top。
误 She was dressed in black from the top to the toe.
正 She was dressed in black from top to toe.
析 from top to toe表示“从头到脚”,其间不能插定冠词the。这个女秘书能胜任她的工作。
误 The girl secretary is on the top of her job.
正 The girl secretary is on top of her job.
析 on top of表示“驾驭,熟练掌握”时, top前不能加the。我把我的包放在你的包上。
误 I put my bag at (the) top of yours.
正 I put my bag on (the) top of yours.他的名字高列榜首。
误 His name was on the top of the list.
正 His name was at the top of the list.一面红旗耸立在山顶上。
误 A red flag stands on the top of the hill.
正 A red flag stands at the top of the hill.
析 表示“在…上面”应该用 on (the) top of,介词on不可以改成at。但表示“在…顶端”“在…最上方”时要用at the top of。因为at表示一个点,而on表示一个面,范围比at广。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的top，意为顶点，冠，最高点，一簇；最初源自原始日耳曼语的tuppaz，意为一簇头发。
- summit adj.
- lead v.