- n. 手杖；枝；杆
- vt. 刺入；插于；竖起
- vi. 钉住；坚持，遵守；粘贴；生效，起作用
- 刺，戳，刺死， 将…刺入，插入
- vt. & vi. 粘贴,张贴 fasten, become fastened, with glue or any substance like it
- vt. & vi. 插入,刺入,卡住 fix sth pointed in sth else
- vt. 容忍,忍受 bear; endure
- vi. 产生作用,生效,起作用 remain in effect, especially by being able to be proved
- [C] 枝条,枯枝,柴枝 a small thin branch or part of a branch that has fallen or been cut from a tree
- [C] 棍,棒 a long thin piece of wood used for hitting
- [U] 严厉对待,惩罚 severe treatment
- [C] 手杖,拐杖 a thin rod of wood or metal used to support the body when walking
- [C] 棒状物 a thin rod of any material
- [C] 某种类型的人 a person of the stated type
- [P] 边远地区,偏僻乡镇 rural areas far from cities
an implement consisting of a length of wood;
"he collected dry sticks for a campfire"
"the kid had a candied apple on a stick"
a small thin branch of a tree
a lever used by a pilot to control the ailerons and elevators of an airplane
a rectangular quarter pound block of butter or margarine
informal terms for the leg;
"fever left him weak on his sticks"
a long implement (usually made of wood) that is shaped so that hockey or polo players can hit a puck or ball
a long thin implement resembling a length of wood;
"a stick of dynamite"
marijuana leaves rolled into a cigarette for smoking
threat of a penalty;
"the policy so far is all stick and no carrot"
put, fix, force, or implant;
"lodge a bullet in the table"
"stick your thumb in the crack"
stay put (in a certain place);
"We are staying in Detroit; we are not moving to Cincinnati"
"Stay put in the corner here!"
"Stick around and you will learn something!"
stick to firmly;
"Will this wallpaper adhere to the wall?"
be or become fixed;
"The door sticks--we will have to plane it"
"The label stuck to her for the rest of her life"
be a devoted follower or supporter;
"The residents of this village adhered to Catholicism"
"She sticks to her principles"
be loyal to;
"She stood by her husband in times of trouble"
"The friends stuck together through the war"
cover and decorate with objects that pierce the surface;
"stick some feathers in the turkey before you serve it"
fasten with an adhesive material like glue;
"stick the poster onto the wall"
fasten with or as with pins or nails;
"stick the photo onto the corkboard"
fasten into place by fixing an end or point into something;
"stick the corner of the sheet under the mattress"
pierce with a thrust using a pointed instrument;
"he stuck the cloth with the needle"
pierce or penetrate or puncture with something pointed;
"He stuck the needle into his finger"
come or be in close contact with; stick or hold together and resist separation;
"The dress clings to her body"
"The label stuck to the box"
"The sushi rice grains cohere"
saddle with something disagreeable or disadvantageous;
"They stuck me with the dinner bill"
"I was stung with a huge tax bill"
be a mystery or bewildering to;
"This beats me!"
"Got me--I don't know the answer!"
"a vexing problem"
"This question really stuck me"
- A walking stick is a must for me now.
- We made the fire out of dry sticks.
- Hold the stick against crosswind.
- A pin stuck me in the hand.
- Stick the fork into the potato.
- His hair sticks up.
- Please help me to stick up the board on the big box.
- He sticked by his beliefs.
- We must stick to our policy.
- Stick a label on your suitcase.
- What's wrong with this stamp?It won't stick.
- The stamp won't stick.
- It won't stick properly.
- The drawer sticks badly.
- The car stuck in the mud.
- He tried to pull his head through the tiny opening, but it stuck.
- The police won't bring the case to court because they don't think they can make the charges stick.
- Someone has stuck a label on the crate.
- I stuck the stamp on and ran to the postbox.
- Stick no bills.
- He stuck the broken pieces of the painting together again.
- “The handle's broken off.”“Stick it with glue.”
- The heavy snow stuck traffic for hours.
- She stuck pins into the meat.
- He stuck the knife right into the butter.
- Don't stick pins into the chair!
- She stuck the flowers in a vase of water.
- I never stick him.
- None of the girls would stick him.
- I can't stick this dull job any long.
- I can't stick anybody sitting next to me when I'm reading.
- He picked up sticks to make a fire.
- He is putting some sticks on the fire.
- She was picking up sticks.
- Let's find some sticks to make a fire.
- Get some sticks to make a campfire.
- The bird shaped its nest from mud and sticks.
- These sticks are not strong enough to stay up.
- The farmer saw the boys off with a heavy stick.
- The boy disturbed the tranquil surface of the pond with a stick.
- I had no resource but a stick at that time.
- They tried to break through police cordons, using sticks and assorted missiles.
- Give that naughty boy the stick.
- He got a fair share of the stick.
- He always carries a stick to ward off wild dogs.
- The old man cannot walk without a stick.
- Grandfather walks with a stick.
- He stabbed at the earth with his stick.
- He slashed at the bush angrily with a stick.
- All these sticks are of uniform length.
- He walks with the help of a stick.
- The drummer held his sticks.
- I lived off the stick for a long time.
- He lifted his stick and the band began to play.
- He seemed as a stick man.
- He is a regular stick.
- He's dull old stick.
- She's quite a nice old stick when you get to know her.
- We used to live out in the sticks.
- A cop was transferred to the sticks.
- In case you're from the sticks,I'll explain it to you.
- stick around1 (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉逗留,停留 stay or remain where one is
Why don't you stick around?
Stick around, baby.
When our dinner guest got up to leave, we begged him to stick around and watch a recent movie on TV.
当客人离席要走时,我们请他留下看电视播映的一部新影片。stick sth around
I can't stick waiting around like this.
- stick around2 (v.+prep.)
逗留,停留 stay or remain where one is
stick around sth
I can't stick around this delightful party any longer; I have to get back to work.
- stick at (v.+prep.)
停止,踌躇,迟疑于 stop; hold back; have qualms of conscience aboutDon't stick at trifles.小事情不必犹豫不决。
- stick by (v.+prep.)
忠实于 stay loyal to
stick by sb
I'll stick by him.
She will stick by her friends whatever happens.
- stick down (v.+adv.)
把…粘起来 stick two things or two parts of one thing togetherHe stuck down the envelope and dropped it into the mailbox.他用糨糊把信封粘好后便投进邮筒。
- stick in (v.+adv.)
用某种手段攻击 attack with, usually as a means of assaulting
Stick in, you'll succeed!
努力干吧,你一定成功!stick sth ⇔ in
Stick the boot in, pal!
What really sticks in my craw is that he should try to shift the blame onto others.
- stick it
坚持,不要放弃 persist in; persevere in; upholdStick it,Jack.杰克,坚持下去!
- stick it out
坚持到底 continue in spite of difficulties
- stick on (v.+prep.)
对…迟疑,踌躇 hold back; have qualms about
stick on sth
He may stick on the second clause in the contract.
I hope you aren't going to stick on the question of money.
- stick out (v.+adv.)
坚持; 断言 assert categorically; state with certainty〔说明〕 stick out作此解时通常不用于进行体。
Your hair is sticking out in the back.
你脑袋后面的头发竖起来了。stick out from〔of〕 sth
The woodwork sticks out from the main wall.
I could see one end of the letter sticking out of John's pocket.
我看见信的一角从约翰衣兜里露出来了。stick sth ⇔ out
Someone stuck a foot out and tripped me up.
The doctor told me to stick out my tongue, so I stuck it out.
医生让我把舌头伸出来,我伸出来了。stick sth ⇔ out
He is determined to stick out the race even if he finishes last.
他下定决心即使跑最后一名,也要坚持跑完。stick out that-clause
The accused person stuck out that he was innocent of the crime.
被告一口咬定说他是无罪的。stick out for sth
The broad masses stuck out for the vigour of the law.
We shall stick out for every penny to which we feel we are entitled.
- stick to (v.+prep.)
忠实于 be loyal toSome people hold that translations should stick closely to the original.有些人认为,译著应忠实于原著。
- stick together (v.+adv.)
团结一致 remain united
Whatever happens, we must stick together.
Members of a family should stick together in times of trouble.
Every time the workers stuck together they showed their strength and won.
- stick up (v.+adv.)
被抢劫时举起手来 hold up one's hands while being robbed
The lid was sticking up.
The canes were sticking up from a box in the corner.
The boy's hair stuck up straight with fright.
Her hair keeps sticking up no matter how often she combs it.
不管她怎么勤梳头,她的头发总是竖着。stick sth ⇔ up
I hate being stuck up in a place like this.
She feels stuck up here, with nothing to do.
她觉得惶恐,不知所措。stick sth ⇔ up
Stick them up!
- stick up for (v.+adv.+prep.)
支持,维护 support sb/sth
stick up for sb/oneself/sth
Don't stick up for him!
He always sticks up for her.
He cannot stick up for himself.
You should always stick up for the persecuted and the oppressed.
Stick up for the principles.
- stick with (v.+prep.)
跟着… followStick with me until we get out of the crowd.在我们走出人群前,不要离开我。
- as cross as two sticks
脾气很坏 bad temperFor goodness' sake, don't go near her.She's as cross as two sticks.看在老天爷分上,别走近她。她脾气很坏。
- carry〔wield〕 a big stick
(对…)施行强权〔严加控制〕 severe treatment
- give some sticks
使…到极限 punish or treat sb severely
give sth some sticks
Come on, give it some sticks—let's see how fast this car can go.
- go to sticks and staves
破产 go bankrupt
- hold a stick to〔hold sticks with〕
可与…媲美 compare favourable with
- in a cleft stick
进退两难 in a situation where it is difficult to decide what to do
- shake a stick at
比得上,可与…媲美 compare favourable withI never set eyes on anything that could shake a stick at this picture.我从没有看到过哪一幅画能与这幅画相媲美。
- stick fast 粘牢
- stick firmly 粘得很牢固
- stick jealously 谨慎地插入
- stick manfully 勇敢地刺
- stick about 呆在附近
- stick around 呆在附近
- stick down 粘住,写下,放下
- stick down new words 写下生字
- stick down the envelope 粘好信口
- stick in 坚持到底,呆在家中
- stick out 显露出来,显眼,罢工,坚持到底
- stick out against a bill 罢工反对某法案
- stick together 联合起来
- stick up 粘上,别上,竖起,抢劫
- stick hands up 把手举起来
- stick up the bank 抢劫银行
- stick up in the water (杆)竖立在水中
- stick up its tail 翘尾巴
- stick out for 坚持要某物
- stick out to 向…伸出
- stick up for 支持,替…辩护
- stick up for one's beliefs 捍卫自己的信仰
- stick up for one's friends 为朋友辩护
- stick up to 抵抗,勇敢地面对
- stick up to the bully 反对那个家伙
- stick at 犹豫,迟疑,坚持
- stick at one's books all day 成天啃书本
- stick at one's work 坚持工作
- stick at trifles 拘泥于琐事
- stick by 忠于
- stick by friends 忠于朋友
- stick in finger 刺入手指
- stick in one's throat 难于接受,难以启齿
- stick into 使刺入,使插入
- stick on 把…粘贴在…上,稳稳坐在…上
- stick on a horse 稳坐在马背上
- stick through 使伸过
- stick to 黏附在…上,限制在…上,忠于
- stick to a post 坚守岗位
- stick to one's principles 坚持原则
- stick to one's word 信守诺言
- stick to the envelope 粘到信封上
- stick to the subject 紧扣主题
- stick with 缠住,萦绕,继续忠于
- stick with crowds 混在人群中
- stick with one's old friends 忠于老朋友
- carry a stick 带棍子,拿手杖,进行武力威胁
- cut one's stick 逃走,离开
- gather dry stick 拾干柴枝
- give sb the stick 打某人
- hold a stick in one's hand 手里拿着棍子〔手杖〕
- hold a stick to 旗鼓相当地与…竞争
- hold of the wrong end of the stick 完全误解
- hold sticks with 旗鼓相当地与…竞争
- wave a stick 挥舞棍子
Although the fire was fading.., no one moved to put any sticks on to it.出自： A. Mason
When the unicorn comes, we must all rush out and stick it.出自： T. H. White
You clubbed the..boy unconscious before you stuck him with your knife.出自： B. Malamud
- 在美国口语中, stick还可表示远离城市的“边远地区,偏僻乡镇”,作此解时常用复数形式,其前要加定冠词the。
She stuck her fork into the meat.
- stick by, stick to
- stick by强调“支持”“站在同一边上”; 而stick to侧重指“坚持,不放弃”。例如:
- She sticks to the principles.她坚持原则。
- He sticks by his friends when they are in trouble.当朋友遇到困难时,他总是支持他们。
- stick, stand
- stick只能用在否定句或疑问句中; 而stand可用于肯定句中。例如:
- I can stand a certain amount of foolery, but too much of it annoys me.一定限度的愚蠢行为我能容忍,但是太过分了我也会生气。
- I can't stick people who are always boasting of their own merits.我不喜欢那些总是吹嘘自己的人。
- stick, adhere
- The mud adhered〔sticked〕 to his feet.泥巴粘在他的脚上。其区别是：
- 1.从程度上说, adhere较stick更牢固,更强调紧紧地固定在另一物的表面上。例如:
- The decal doesn't adhere to the window.这种印花胶纸无法粘在窗子上。
- He stuck the broken pieces of the painting together again.他把那幅画的碎片重新粘了起来。
- 2.从时间上说, adhere较stick更长久。例如:
- The dough stuck to my fingers.面团粘在我的手指上。
- They adhered to their original plan.他们坚持原来的计划。
- stick, cling, cohere
- stick指一个人或一个物体依附于另一个,也指互相依存; cohere强调粘成一片或连成一个统一的整体; cling一般指依附另一个人或另一物体,暗示必须受到支持、支撑。例如:
- His wet shirt clung to his body.湿衬衫紧紧贴在他的身上。
- Do his religious and political beliefs cohere?他的宗教信仰和政治信仰是否一致?
- stick to, insist, persist
- 1.insist常用于坚持意见、看法、主张等; persist一般用于坚持行动,偶尔用于对某种意见坚持不变; 而stick to多用于坚持原则、计划、决定、诺言、意见等。例如:
- I insist on telling him how great you are.我一定要告诉他你是多么了不起。
- I persisted that we should walk there.我坚持我们步行去。
- Jack always sticks to his promise.杰克总是信守自己的诺言。
- 2.insist后接介词on+名词或动名词,也可接that从句; 而persist后接介词in〔with〕加名词或动名词构成的短语,而不接不定式。例如:
- He insisted on trying again, regardless of the consequences.他不顾后果,执意要再试一试。
- He persisted in saying so.他坚持这样说。
- He wants a stick.
- He wants the stick.
- 他该打。 (他该受到惩罚)
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的sticca，意为棍子，树枝。