- 刺，戳，刺死， 将…刺入，插入
- vt. & vi. 粘贴,张贴 fasten, become fastened, with glue or any substance like it
- vt. & vi. 插入,刺入,卡住 fix sth pointed in sth else
- vt. 容忍,忍受 bear; endure
- vi. 产生作用,生效,起作用 remain in effect, especially by being able to be proved
- [C] 枝条,枯枝,柴枝 a small thin branch or part of a branch that has fallen or been cut from a tree
- [C] 棍,棒 a long thin piece of wood used for hitting
- [U] 严厉对待,惩罚 severe treatment
- [C] 手杖,拐杖 a thin rod of wood or metal used to support the body when walking
- [C] 棒状物 a thin rod of any material
- [C] 某种类型的人 a person of the stated type
- [P] 边远地区,偏僻乡镇 rural areas far from cities
- an implement consisting of a length of wood;
"he collected dry sticks for a campfire"
"the kid had a candied apple on a stick"
- a small thin branch of a tree
- a lever used by a pilot to control the ailerons and elevators of an airplane
- a rectangular quarter pound block of butter or margarine
- informal terms for the leg;
"fever left him weak on his sticks"
- a long implement (usually made of wood) that is shaped so that hockey or polo players can hit a puck or ball
- a long thin implement resembling a length of wood;
"a stick of dynamite"
- marijuana leaves rolled into a cigarette for smoking
- threat of a penalty;
"the policy so far is all stick and no carrot"
- put, fix, force, or implant;
"lodge a bullet in the table"
"stick your thumb in the crack"
- stay put (in a certain place);
"We are staying in Detroit; we are not moving to Cincinnati"
"Stay put in the corner here!"
"Stick around and you will learn something!"
- stick to firmly;
"Will this wallpaper adhere to the wall?"
- be or become fixed;
"The door sticks--we will have to plane it"
"The label stuck to her for the rest of her life"
- be a devoted follower or supporter;
"The residents of this village adhered to Catholicism"
"She sticks to her principles"
- be loyal to;
"She stood by her husband in times of trouble"
"The friends stuck together through the war"
- cover and decorate with objects that pierce the surface;
"stick some feathers in the turkey before you serve it"
- fasten with an adhesive material like glue;
"stick the poster onto the wall"
- fasten with or as with pins or nails;
"stick the photo onto the corkboard"
- fasten into place by fixing an end or point into something;
"stick the corner of the sheet under the mattress"
- pierce with a thrust using a pointed instrument;
"he stuck the cloth with the needle"
- pierce or penetrate or puncture with something pointed;
"He stuck the needle into his finger"
- come or be in close contact with; stick or hold together and resist separation;
"The dress clings to her body"
"The label stuck to the box"
"The sushi rice grains cohere"
- saddle with something disagreeable or disadvantageous;
"They stuck me with the dinner bill"
"I was stung with a huge tax bill"
- be a mystery or bewildering to;
"This beats me!"
"Got me--I don't know the answer!"
"a vexing problem"
"This question really stuck me"
- A walking stick is a must for me now.
- We made the fire out of dry sticks.
- Hold the stick against crosswind.
- Stick the fork into the potato.
- His hair sticks up.
- Please help me to stick up the board on the big box.
- He sticked by his beliefs.
- We must stick to our policy.
- Stick a label on your suitcase.
What's wrong with this stamp?It won't stick.
The stamp won't stick.
It won't stick properly.
The drawer sticks badly.
The car stuck in the mud.
He tried to pull his head through the tiny opening, but it stuck.
The police won't bring the case to court because they don't think they can make the charges stick.
Someone has stuck a label on the crate.
I stuck the stamp on and ran to the postbox.
Stick no bills.
He stuck the broken pieces of the painting together again.
“The handle's broken off.”“Stick it with glue.”
The heavy snow stuck traffic for hours.
She stuck pins into the meat.
He stuck the knife right into the butter.
Don't stick pins into the chair!
She stuck the flowers in a vase of water.
I never stick him.
None of the girls would stick him.
I can't stick this dull job any long.
I can't stick anybody sitting next to me when I'm reading.
He picked up sticks to make a fire.
He is putting some sticks on the fire.
She was picking up sticks.
Let's find some sticks to make a fire.
Get some sticks to make a campfire.
The bird shaped its nest from mud and sticks.
These sticks are not strong enough to stay up.
The farmer saw the boys off with a heavy stick.
The boy disturbed the tranquil surface of the pond with a stick.
I had no resource but a stick at that time.
They tried to break through police cordons, using sticks and assorted missiles.
Give that naughty boy the stick.
He got a fair share of the stick.
He always carries a stick to ward off wild dogs.
The old man cannot walk without a stick.
Grandfather walks with a stick.
He stabbed at the earth with his stick.
He slashed at the bush angrily with a stick.
All these sticks are of uniform length.
He walks with the help of a stick.
The drummer held his sticks.
I lived off the stick for a long time.
He lifted his stick and the band began to play.
He seemed as a stick man.
He is a regular stick.
He's dull old stick.
She's quite a nice old stick when you get to know her.
We used to live out in the sticks.
A cop was transferred to the sticks.
In case you're from the sticks,I'll explain it to you.
- stick around1 (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉逗留,停留 stay or remain where one is stick around
Why don't you stick around?你为什么不在附近呆着?
Stick around, baby.孩子,别走远。
When our dinner guest got up to leave, we begged him to stick around and watch a recent movie on TV.当客人离席要走时,我们请他留下看电视播映的一部新影片。stick sth around
I can't stick waiting around like this.我不能忍受老是这样等着。
- 〈非正〉逗留,停留 stay or remain where one is stick around
- stick around2 (v.+prep.)
逗留,停留 stay or remain where one is stick around sth
I can't stick around this delightful party any longer; I have to get back to work.茶会令人愉快,可我不能再多呆了,我得赶回去上班。
- 逗留,停留 stay or remain where one is stick around sth
- stick at (v.+prep.)
- 〔说明〕 stick at不用于被动结构。 stick at sth
坚持(工作、任务等); 不放弃 keep at; keep working at〔说明〕 stick at作此解时通常不用于进行体。
Stick at it! 坚持下来!
He'll stick at it till he succeeds. 他一定能坚持到成功。
I shall stick at the job until I've finished it. 这项工作我要坚持到做完为止。
Don't stick at your books all day; you need a little rest and recreation. 别成天啃书本,你需要有一点休息和娱乐。
You must stick at it if you want to succeed. 如果你想成功的话,你就必须坚持下去。
They will stick at nothing. 他们什么事都干得出来。
He'll stick at nothing to get complete power. 为了揽取全权,他什么事都能干得出来。
停止,踌躇,迟疑于 stop; hold back; have qualms of conscience aboutDon't stick at trifles.小事情不必犹豫不决。
I never stick at small difficulties. 我从来不为小小的困难而气馁。
- stick by (v.+prep.)
忠实于 stay loyal to stick by sb
I'll stick by him.我一定忠实于他。
She will stick by her friends whatever happens.不管发生什么事情,她都能忠实于她的朋友。
- 忠实于 stay loyal to stick by sb
- stick down (v.+adv.)
- 放下 put downJust stick it down anywhere you like.把它随便放在什么地方都行。
- 把…写下来 write downThis is a proverb and you ought to stick it down and learn it by heart.这是条谚语,你得把它抄下来记熟。
- 把…粘起来 stick two things or two parts of one thing togetherHe stuck down the envelope and dropped it into the mailbox.他用糨糊把信封粘好后便投进邮筒。
- stick in (v.+adv.)
坚持,努力于 persevere, work hard stick in
Stick in, you'll succeed!努力干吧,你一定成功!
用某种手段攻击 attack with, usually as a means of assaulting stick sth ⇔ in
Stick the boot in, pal!朋友,用靴子踢!
What really sticks in my craw is that he should try to shift the blame onto others.真正令人气愤的是,他竟然把责任往别人身上推。
- 坚持,努力于 persevere, work hard stick in
- stick it
忍受,容忍 bear; endure; standI must get out of this hot sun. I can't stick it.我必须躲开这炎热的阳光。我受不了啦。
I don't know how I've stuck it,It's been hell. 我不知道我是怎么熬过来的,那简直是地狱。
- 坚持,不要放弃 persist in; persevere in; upholdStick it,Jack.杰克,坚持下去!
- 忍受,容忍 bear; endure; standI must get out of this hot sun. I can't stick it.我必须躲开这炎热的阳光。我受不了啦。
- stick it out
坚持到底 continue in spite of difficulties
Stick it out! 忍耐一下!
I had intended resigning my post in June. But I think I shall stick it out till the end of the year. 我本来打算6月里辞去职务的,不过我想还是坚持到年底。
If you can stick it out a bit longer, everything will be all right. 如果你能稍忍耐一会儿,一切都会正常的。
- 坚持到底 continue in spite of difficulties
- stick on (v.+prep.)
对…迟疑,踌躇 hold back; have qualms about stick on sth
He may stick on the second clause in the contract.他可能对合同中的第二条表示怀疑。
I hope you aren't going to stick on the question of money.我希望你不会在钱的问题上迟疑不决。
- 对…迟疑,踌躇 hold back; have qualms about stick on sth
- stick out (v.+adv.)
伸出来,突出,竖起 protrude stick out
Your hair is sticking out in the back.你脑袋后面的头发竖起来了。stick out from〔of〕 sth
The woodwork sticks out from the main wall.主墙上装的木器探出墙面。
I could see one end of the letter sticking out of John's pocket.我看见信的一角从约翰衣兜里露出来了。stick sth ⇔ out
Someone stuck a foot out and tripped me up.有人伸出一条腿,把我绊倒了。
The doctor told me to stick out my tongue, so I stuck it out.医生让我把舌头伸出来,我伸出来了。
坚持; 断言 assert categorically; state with certainty〔说明〕 stick out作此解时通常不用于进行体。 stick sth ⇔ out
He is determined to stick out the race even if he finishes last.他下定决心即使跑最后一名,也要坚持跑完。stick out that-clause
The accused person stuck out that he was innocent of the crime.被告一口咬定说他是无罪的。stick out for sth
The broad masses stuck out for the vigour of the law.广大群众坚决要求严明法纪。
We shall stick out for every penny to which we feel we are entitled.我们将坚持索取我们认为应该得到的每一个便士。
- 伸出来,突出,竖起 protrude stick out
- stick to (v.+prep.)
保留,保有 try to keep sthIf you lend anything to that fellow he'll stick to it if he gets half a chance.如果你借任何东西给那个家伙的话,只要有点儿借口,他就会据为己有。
The messenger was alleged to have stuck to the money which he received as change. 据说送信的人把他所收到的零钱都塞进了自己的腰包。
He sticks to his own opinion. 他固执己见。
If we let him look after the money,I'm afraid much of it will stick to his fingers. 如果把钱交由他保管,恐怕大部分都要被他侵吞掉。
遵守,坚持 adhere to; persevere; be constant; remain determinedYou must stick to your promise.你必须遵守诺言。
He had five different jobs in the last year because he never sticks to anything very long. 去年他调换了五种不同的工作,因为他对什么事情都没有常性。
Whatever happens, we'll stick to our original plan. 无论发生什么事,我们都不会改变原计划。
The doctors stuck to their research until they discovered how to cure the disease. 医生们继续他们的研究工作,直到找到了治疗这种疾病的方法为止。
Einstein stuck to his theories and went on with his work. 爱因斯坦坚持自己的理论,继续进行工作。
紧跟; 粘住 stay close to sb/sthThe gum stuck to my fingers.口香糖粘住了我的手指。
The stamp didn't stick to the envelope. 邮票没有在信封上贴牢。
Although I moistened it, the flap doesn't stick to the envelope. 我把信封弄湿了,可是信封口盖还是粘不上。
Don't digress so much; stick to the point. 不要扯得太远了,抓住要点。
A good article should stick closely to its point. 一篇好文章应紧扣主题。
忠实于 be loyal toSome people hold that translations should stick closely to the original.有些人认为,译著应忠实于原著。
He will stick to her whatever happens. 不管发生什么事,他都将忠实于她。
Don't keep changing your companions; get a few good friends and stick to them. 对朋友不要老是朝秦暮楚,交几个好朋友就永远忠实于他们。
- 保留,保有 try to keep sthIf you lend anything to that fellow he'll stick to it if he gets half a chance.如果你借任何东西给那个家伙的话,只要有点儿借口,他就会据为己有。
- stick together (v.+adv.)
团结一致 remain united stick together
Whatever happens, we must stick together.不管发生了什么情况,我们都要紧密团结在一起。
Members of a family should stick together in times of trouble.家庭成员在困难的时候应该团结一致。
Every time the workers stuck together they showed their strength and won.每当工人们团结在一起的时候,他们就显出力量并取得胜利。
- 团结一致 remain united stick together
- stick up (v.+adv.)
竖起 protrude upwards stick up
The lid was sticking up.盖儿竖立着。
The canes were sticking up from a box in the corner.屋角那个箱子的藤条竖起来了。
The boy's hair stuck up straight with fright.男孩吓得毛发直立。
Her hair keeps sticking up no matter how often she combs it.不管她怎么勤梳头,她的头发总是竖着。
陷于困境 be located against one's will stick sth ⇔ up 用于 be ～ed 结构
I hate being stuck up in a place like this.我恨自己陷于这样的困境。
She feels stuck up here, with nothing to do.她觉得惶恐,不知所措。
被抢劫时举起手来 hold up one's hands while being robbed stick sth ⇔ up
Stick them up!把双手举起来!
- 竖起 protrude upwards stick up
- stick up for (v.+adv.+prep.)
支持,维护 support sb/sth stick up for sb/oneself/sth
Don't stick up for him!别为他辩护!
He always sticks up for her.他总是维护她。
He cannot stick up for himself.他不能为自己辩护。
You should always stick up for the persecuted and the oppressed.你应当永远支持受迫害的和被压迫的人。
Stick up for the principles.请遵守原则。
- 支持,维护 support sb/sth stick up for sb/oneself/sth
- stick with (v.+prep.)
继续做 continue to work hard at sthFred stuck with his homework until it was done.弗雷德继续做他的作业,直到做完为止。
Practising is tiresome, but stick with it and some day you will be a good pianist. 练习是很烦人的事,但继续练习下去,总有一天你将成为一位出色的钢琴家。
Bill stuck with the company, because he thought it would soon succeed. 比尔没辞去公司的职务,因为他认为公司仍然很有前途。
- 跟着… followStick with me until we get out of the crowd.在我们走出人群前,不要离开我。
- 继续做 continue to work hard at sthFred stuck with his homework until it was done.弗雷德继续做他的作业,直到做完为止。
- as cross as two sticks
非常生气 very angryHe was as cross as two sticks when his roommate took his umbrella without getting his agreement.他非常生气,因为他的室友未经同意就把他的伞带走了。
The old man was as cross as two sticks when the bus left without waiting for him. 那位老人非常生气,因为公共汽车没有等他就开走了。
脾气很坏 bad temperFor goodness' sake, don't go near her.She's as cross as two sticks.看在老天爷分上,别走近她。她脾气很坏。
She scolded her maid and was as cross as two sticks. 她大骂女佣人,脾气坏透了。
- 非常生气 very angryHe was as cross as two sticks when his roommate took his umbrella without getting his agreement.他非常生气,因为他的室友未经同意就把他的伞带走了。
- carry〔wield〕 a big stick
(对…)施行强权〔严加控制〕 severe treatment
You can't carry a big stick over them. 你们不能对他们采取强硬手段。
We must speak softly but carry a big stick. 我们说话要温和,但要有威力。
The trade unions were afraid that the government would wield a big stick over them. 各工会担心政府会对他们采取强硬手段。
Whenever the boss wields a big stick, productivity actually falls because people resent it so much. 每次老板管得很严时,生产实际上下降了,因为人们对此很反感。
- (对…)施行强权〔严加控制〕 severe treatment
- give some sticks
使…到极限 punish or treat sb severely give sth some sticks
Come on, give it some sticks—let's see how fast this car can go.来吧,开到最快——看这辆车能跑多快。
- 使…到极限 punish or treat sb severely give sth some sticks
- go to sticks and staves
破产 go bankrupt
The bank is on the brink of going to sticks and staves. 这家银行已濒临破产。
- 破产 go bankrupt
- hold a stick to〔hold sticks with〕
可与…媲美 compare favourable with
Henry thought that no modern ball club could hold a stick to those of 50 years ago. 亨利认为现在的舞会俱乐部无法同50年前的相比。
- 可与…媲美 compare favourable with
- in a cleft stick
进退两难 in a situation where it is difficult to decide what to do
You have got me in a cleft stick. 你已经使我进退两难。
I never saw his equal to put a fellow in a cleft stick. 我从未见过任何人像他那样使人进退两难。
- 进退两难 in a situation where it is difficult to decide what to do
- shake a stick at
- 关心,注意 take care ofThere are more audience at the football match than you can shake a stick at.有多得数不清的观众在观看足球赛。
多极了 be greatI had more assignments for homework than I could shake a stick at.我的家庭作业多得不得了。
There were more schoolboys at the football match than you could shake a stick at. 有多得数不清的学生观看足球比赛。
- 比得上,可与…媲美 compare favourable withI never set eyes on anything that could shake a stick at this picture.我从没有看到过哪一幅画能与这幅画相媲美。
- stick fast 粘牢
- stick firmly 粘得很牢固
- stick jealously 谨慎地插入
- stick manfully 勇敢地刺
- stick about 呆在附近
- stick around 呆在附近
- stick down 粘住,写下,放下
- stick down new words 写下生字
- stick down the envelope 粘好信口
- stick in 坚持到底,呆在家中
- stick out 显露出来,显眼,罢工,坚持到底
- stick out against a bill 罢工反对某法案
- stick together 联合起来
- stick up 粘上,别上,竖起,抢劫
- stick hands up 把手举起来
- stick up the bank 抢劫银行
- stick up in the water (杆)竖立在水中
- stick up its tail 翘尾巴
- stick out for 坚持要某物
- stick out to 向…伸出
- stick up for 支持,替…辩护
- stick up for one's beliefs 捍卫自己的信仰
- stick up for one's friends 为朋友辩护
- stick up to 抵抗,勇敢地面对
- stick up to the bully 反对那个家伙
- stick at 犹豫,迟疑,坚持
- stick at one's books all day 成天啃书本
- stick at one's work 坚持工作
- stick at trifles 拘泥于琐事
- stick by 忠于
- stick by friends 忠于朋友
- stick in finger 刺入手指
- stick in one's throat 难于接受,难以启齿
- stick into 使刺入,使插入
- stick on 把…粘贴在…上,稳稳坐在…上
- stick on a horse 稳坐在马背上
- stick through 使伸过
- stick to 黏附在…上,限制在…上,忠于
- stick to a post 坚守岗位
- stick to one's principles 坚持原则
- stick to one's word 信守诺言
- stick to the envelope 粘到信封上
- stick to the subject 紧扣主题
- stick with 缠住,萦绕,继续忠于
- stick with crowds 混在人群中
- stick with one's old friends 忠于老朋友
- carry a stick 带棍子,拿手杖,进行武力威胁
- cut one's stick 逃走,离开
- gather dry stick 拾干柴枝
- give sb the stick 打某人
- hold a stick in one's hand 手里拿着棍子〔手杖〕
- hold a stick to 旗鼓相当地与…竞争
- hold of the wrong end of the stick 完全误解
- hold sticks with 旗鼓相当地与…竞争
- wave a stick 挥舞棍子
Although the fire was fading.., no one moved to put any sticks on to it.出自：A. Mason
When the unicorn comes, we must all rush out and stick it.出自：T. H. White
You clubbed the..boy unconscious before you stuck him with your knife.出自：B. Malamud
She stuck her fork into the meat.
- 在美国口语中, stick还可表示远离城市的“边远地区,偏僻乡镇”,作此解时常用复数形式,其前要加定冠词the。
- stick by, stick to
这两个短语都可表示“忠于”。其区别是：stick by强调“支持”“站在同一边上”; 而stick to侧重指“坚持,不放弃”。例如:She sticks to the principles.她坚持原则。He sticks by his friends when they are in trouble.当朋友遇到困难时,他总是支持他们。
- stick, stand
这两个词都可表示“容忍”。其区别是：stick只能用在否定句或疑问句中; 而stand可用于肯定句中。例如:I can stand a certain amount of foolery, but too much of it annoys me.一定限度的愚蠢行为我能容忍,但是太过分了我也会生气。I can't stick people who are always boasting of their own merits.我不喜欢那些总是吹嘘自己的人。
- stick, adhere
这两个词都含有“黏附”的意思,都可表示用胶水、糨糊、黏结剂等粘贴,一般可互换。例如:The mud adhered〔sticked〕 to his feet.泥巴粘在他的脚上。其区别是：1.从程度上说, adhere较stick更牢固,更强调紧紧地固定在另一物的表面上。例如:The decal doesn't adhere to the window.这种印花胶纸无法粘在窗子上。He stuck the broken pieces of the painting together again.他把那幅画的碎片重新粘了起来。2.从时间上说, adhere较stick更长久。例如:The dough stuck to my fingers.面团粘在我的手指上。3.adhere仅用作不及物动词,而stick除用作不及物动词,还可用作及物动词。例如:They adhered to their original plan.他们坚持原来的计划。
- stick, cling, cohere
这组词都含有“牢固地附在…上”的意思。其区别是：stick指一个人或一个物体依附于另一个,也指互相依存; cohere强调粘成一片或连成一个统一的整体; cling一般指依附另一个人或另一物体,暗示必须受到支持、支撑。例如:His wet shirt clung to his body.湿衬衫紧紧贴在他的身上。Do his religious and political beliefs cohere?他的宗教信仰和政治信仰是否一致?
- stick to, insist, persist
三者都可作“坚持”解。其区别在于:1.insist常用于坚持意见、看法、主张等; persist一般用于坚持行动,偶尔用于对某种意见坚持不变; 而stick to多用于坚持原则、计划、决定、诺言、意见等。例如:I insist on telling him how great you are.我一定要告诉他你是多么了不起。I persisted that we should walk there.我坚持我们步行去。Jack always sticks to his promise.杰克总是信守自己的诺言。2.insist后接介词on+名词或动名词,也可接that从句; 而persist后接介词in〔with〕加名词或动名词构成的短语,而不接不定式。例如:He insisted on trying again, regardless of the consequences.他不顾后果,执意要再试一试。He persisted in saying so.他坚持这样说。
- He wants a stick.
- He wants the stick.
- 他该打。 (他该受到惩罚)
- cane stick staff
错句：i sticked a stamp on every envelop.
纠正：i stuck a stamp on every envelop.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的stccia，意为棍子，树枝。
- stick:stick n. 棍, 棒, 手杖v. 粘住, 粘贴vt. 刺, 戳 英英解释:名词stick:1. an implement consisting of a length of wood2. a s…