- [C]发生的事情; 大事; 事件 sth that happens; an event
- [C]需要做的或需要思考的事情; 事务 sth that you need to do or think about; business
a vaguely specified concern;
"several matters to attend to"
"it is none of your affair"
"things are going well"
a usually secretive or illicit sexual relationship
a vaguely specified social event;
"the party was quite an affair"
"an occasion arranged to honor the president"
"a seemingly endless round of social functions"
- Their love affair is an open secret.
- The party was a dull affair.
- The minister is busy with important affairs of state.
- Mind your own affairs!
- I dislike my mother's interfering in the affair.
- What is your attitude towards the affair?
- He must take the affair in his own hands.
- He is not yet experienced in that kind of affairs.
- I know nothing of legal affairs.
- The dean usually has an assistant to help with student's affairs.
- If you will undertake the affair I shall be very grateful.
- The dispute is a long affair.
- The wedding was a very quiet affair.
- The affair has taken a new turn.
- The affair remains a complete mystery.
- They are going to investigate affairs.
- It's an affair of three-day journey.
- The whole affair from start to finish did not occupy more than thirty seconds.
- He investigated the affair of his friend's disappearance.
- I tried to reassure her, and to make light of the whole affair.
- The railway accident was a terrible affair.
- Their quarrel was a terrible affair.
- The affair between the manager and his secretary caused a scandal in the small town.
- The two men appeared to be quarrelling, but I soon realized that it was a put-up affair, and not genuine.
- I was glad to be let out of that nasty affair, and have someone more experienced handle the trouble.
- How are your affairs going?
- As affairs stand,I will not go.
- Affairs are in a good condition.
- What is the actual state of affairs?
- Affairs at present are very unsettled.
- This is an impossible state of affairs.
- He told us how affairs stood in the countryside.
- The nation's internal affairs are bad.
- That's my affair.
- This is no affair of mine.
- Mind your own affairs.
- Don't worry about that—it's not your affair.
- It is nothing, just a trifle affair.
- The journey from Beijing to Shanghai is now only an affair two hours by plane.
- The exhibition will be a big affair.
- The annual dance is a grand affair, and involves the whole town.
- Seeing a book through the press is a laborious and time-wasting affair.
- The project was an important but time-consuming affair.
- She does the domestic affairs.
- Running a household is a complex affair.
- Leave me alone, mind your own affairs.
- She is quite able to manage her own affairs.
- What I do in my spare time is my own affair.
- He resents people poking their noses into his private affairs.
- They don't want to get mixed up in it because it isn't their affair.
- You cannot expect your son to manage his affairs satisfactorily.
- I left my affairs in the hands of my son and went to Beijing.
- Edison has had the gift of picking the right men to handle his affairs.
- We should concern ourselves with state affairs.
- He is an expert in foreign affairs.
- Foreign affairs should be handled carefully.
- The ministry administers the internal affairs.
- The Prime Minister is kept busy with affairs of state.
- The chairman has many affairs to look after.
- The prime ministers agreed that no country should interfere in another country's internal affairs.
- The internal affairs of any state, whether it's big or small, do not allow of external interference.
- We are quite explicit about political affairs.
- The Federal Republic agrees to conduct its affairs in conformity with the principles stated in the charter.
- Participation in public affairs is encouraged.
- She's being very decent about the whole affair.
- Breakfast was a very subdued affair.
- The party was a vast and lavish affair.
- She accompanied him to an affair at the Newspaper Photographers' Association.
- The retired engineer takes an active part in neighbourhood affairs.
- What's that strange-looking affair over there?
- This machine is a complicated affair.
- The candy box is really a little pretty affair.
- His car is only a second-hand affair.
- The building is not an unsightly affair.
- In the beginning it was a pretty affair.
- The meeting was a noisy affair.
- The luncheon was simply a dull affair.
- His anger is an affair of no consequence.
- Life would be a dull affair.
- Lunch was delicious, a very American affair.
- They are mostly one-storey frame affairs.
- The concert was rather an amateurish affair.
- Haas has had an affair with the pretty girl.
- She had numerous love affairs before marriage.
- It is rumoured that he is having an affair with his secretary.
- He attempted to cover up his affair with that fat woman.
- It is rumoured that Tom is having an affair with Mary.
- It was said that Jim had affairs with Joan.
- settle one's affairs
(尤指远行、入伍等之前)把个人事务料理停当 (especially before go far or join the army, etc.) finish personal affair well
- administer affairs 处理〔管理〕事务
- arrange affairs 安排事务
- carry on an affair with sb 与某人私通
- close an affair 了结一件事情
- conduct affairs 处理事情
- cover up an affair 掩盖一件事
- deal with affairs 处理事务
- deal with affairs of state 处理国家事务
- debate current affairs 辩论时事
- direct the affairs of other countries 对别国的事情指手画脚
- discuss the affair of 讨论…事情
- handle affairs of state 处理国家事务
- have an affair with sb 与某人发生暧昧关系,与某人私通
- hush up an affair 隐瞒一件事，秘而不宣
- hush up one's affair with sb 遮掩与某人的暧昧关系
- investigate an affair 调查一件事情
- leave an affair in sb's hand 把一件事托付某人做
- manage affairs 处理事务
- put one's affairs into another's hands 托别人管自己的事
- run affairs 处理事务
- settle affairs 解决事情
- settle one's affairs 在遗嘱中安排自己的事
- straighten out an affair 整顿一件事
- take the affair 处理这件事
- undertake the affair 承担那件事
- wind up the affair 结束事情
- big affair 大事,盛举
- casual affair 偶然的风流韵事
- complicated affair 错综复杂的事情
- cool affair 冷冷清清的事情
- delicate affair 微妙的事情
- disastrous affair 灾难性的事件
- dull affair 没趣的事,单调乏味的活动
- formal affair 正式的社交活动
- framed affair 预谋的事件
- much-talked-of affair 街谈巷议的事
- pitiful affair 伤心的事
- quiet affair 不声张的事
- regretful affair 遗憾的事
- romantic affair 风流韵事
- secret affair 私通
- serious affair 大事,正事,严肃的事
- sinister affair 不幸的事情
- small affair 小事
- tempestuous affair 狂恋
- terrible affair 可怕的事情
- tragic affair 悲惨的事件
- trifling affair 小事,琐事
- very small affair 极琐碎的事
- wonderful affair 奇异的事情
- worldly affair 世俗事务
- absurd affair 荒谬的事
- annual affair 一年一度的事情
- exciting affair 激动人心的事
- extramarital affair 婚外恋
- illicit affair 通奸
- informal affair 非正式的社交活动
- ugly affair 丑事
- unpleasant affair 令人不快的事
- civil affairs 民事
- cultural affairs 文化事务
- current affairs 时事
- day-to-day affairs 日常事务
- domestic affairs 家务,国内事务,内政
- everyday affairs 日常琐事
- external affairs 外事
- financial affairs 财政事务
- internal affairs 内政
- international affairs 国际事务
- legal affairs 法律方面的事务
- military affairs 军事
- municipal affairs 市政
- national affairs 民族事务
- personal affairs 个人的事情,私事
- political affairs 政治事务
- private affairs 个人的事情,私事
- public affairs 公众事务
- whole affair 整个事件
- love affair 恋爱事件,风流韵事,强烈的爱好
- business affairs 商务
- community affairs 社区事务
- family affairs 家务事
- foreign affairs 外交事务,外事
- government affair 政务
- household affairs 家务事
- veterans affairs 退伍军人事务
- man of affairs 事业家,实业家
- state of affairs 事态,形势
- in a pretty state of affairs 麻烦的处境,处境尴尬
- the bottom of affair 这件事的真相
- the Ministry of Foreign Aaffair 外交部
- on business affairs 因公事
- on public affairs 因公事
- attitude towards the affair 对这件事的态度
- the affair between sb and sb else 某人与某人间的暧昧关系
- affair at present 目前的事态
- affair of a business 业务
- affair of great importance 大事
- affair of great moment 大事
- affair of honor 决斗
- affair of love 私通
- affair of no consequence 无关紧要的事
- affair of several hours 几个小时的事
- affair of state 国家大事
- affair of the heart 恋爱事件
- affair of the university 大学的事务
- affair with sb 与某人的暧昧关系
- love affair with travelling 对旅游的强烈爱好
What is your affair in Elsinore?出自：Hamlet , Shakespeare
He asked me how affairs stood.
He has had an affair with the girl.
- 下列表达方式中用affairs，复数形式：foreign affairs (外交事务)，his financial affairs (他的经济情况），your own affairs (你自己的事情）。
- affair, business, concern, matter, thing
- It is a regretful affair〔business, concern, matter, thing〕.这是一件遗憾的事。
- I don't talk to her about private affairs〔business, concerns, matters, things〕.我从不和她谈私事。
- 1.从模糊程度上看, affair＜matter＜thing, thing的词义最不确切,常可用在有意使概念含混不清的场合。例如：
- How did you find things in America?你觉得美国怎样?
- 2.从含义上看, affair强调运行或操作过程,如一道程序,一笔交易,一个行动,一项事业等。business强调职责关系,例如：
- It is her business to take good care of the baby.看护好这个婴儿是她的职责。
- It is no concern of mine.此事与我无关。
- We have a lot of matters to do.我们有许多事情要做。
- I've another thing to talk with you.我还有一件事跟你说。
- 3.从用法上看, business不能用复数,而affair在指重大的或头绪较多的事务时则需要用复数。
- 4.从搭配范围上看,与foreign、international、state等词连用时只能用affair,在短语have an affair with sb (与某人有不正当男女关系)中也只能用affair。在指商业上的生意和活动或指“公事”“正事”时只能用business,例如：
- It's a pleasure to do business with you.很高兴和你做生意。
- Business before pleasure.公事比娱乐要紧。
- What's the matter with you?你怎么啦?
- And these Tubes were convenient things〔affairs〕.而这地下铁道是非常方便的东西。
- ☆ 14世纪进入英语，直接源自殖英中世纪诺曼底语的afere，意为人义务中要做的事情；最初源自古语的afaire，意为去做。