- vt. & vi. 跟随; 接着 come or go after
- vt. 注视,密切注意 keep in sight; watch
- vt. & vi. 听得懂 understand
- vt. 从事,经营 engage in as a business, trade, etc.
- vt. 遵照,接受,听从 take or accept or obey
- vi. 是…必然的结果 be or happen as a necessary effect or result
- to travel behind, go after, come after;
"The ducklings followed their mother around the pond"
"Please follow the guide through the museum"
- be later in time;
"Tuesday always follows Monday"
- come as a logical consequence; follow logically;
"It follows that your assertion is false"
"the theorem falls out nicely"
- travel along a certain course;
"follow the road"
"follow the trail"
- act in accordance with someone's rules, commands, or wishes;
"He complied with my instructions"
"You must comply or else!"
"Follow these simple rules"
"abide by the rules"
- come after in time, as a result;
"A terrible tsunami followed the earthquake"
- behave in accordance or in agreement with;
"Follow a pattern"
"Follow my example"
- be next;
"Mary plays best, with John and Sue following"
- choose and follow; as of theories, ideas, policies, strategies or plans;
"She followed the feminist movement"
"The candidate espouses Republican ideals"
- to bring something about at a later time than;
"She followed dinner with a brandy"
"He followed his lecture with a question and answer period"
- imitate in behavior; take as a model;
"Teenagers follow their friends in everything"
- follow, discover, or ascertain the course of development of something;
"We must follow closely the economic development is Cuba"
"trace the student's progress"
- follow with the eyes or the mind;
"Keep an eye on the baby, please!"
"The world is watching Sarajevo"
"She followed the men with the binoculars"
- be the successor (of);
"Carter followed Ford"
"Will Charles succeed to the throne?"
- perform an accompaniment to;
"The orchestra could barely follow the frequent pitch changes of the soprano"
- keep informed;
"He kept up on his country's foreign policies"
- to be the product or result;
"Melons come from a vine"
"Understanding comes from experience"
- accept and follow the leadership or command or guidance of;
"Let's follow our great helmsman!"
"She followed a guru for years"
- adhere to or practice;
"These people still follow the laws of their ancient religion"
- work in a specific place, with a specific subject, or in a specific function;
"He is a herpetologist"
"She is our resident philosopher"
- keep under surveillance;
"The police had been following him for weeks but they could not prove his involvement in the bombing"
- follow in or as if in pursuit;
"The police car pursued the suspected attacker"
"Her bad deed followed her and haunted her dreams all her life"
- grasp the meaning;
"Can you follow her argument?"
"When he lectures, I cannot follow"
- keep to;
"Stick to your principles"
"stick to the diet"
- The little boy followed his father out.
- If you ignore your diet, trouble will follow.
- He followed every word of the trial.
- If you want to complain, you'd better follow the correct procedure.
- Follow this road until you get to the corner, then turn left.
- I didn't quite follow; could you explain it again?
You go first, and I'll follow.
Heated discussion followed.
Happily a good rain followed.
In the years that followed,Marx kept on studying English and using it.
I'm sending the letter today, the packet will follow.
Inevitably, a quarrel followed between the two sides.
Smiles, applause and moisture at the corners of the eyes followed when Nixon turned to Ford and uttered his name.
The argument is too difficult for them to follow.
The next time she came,Judy followed down the mountain behind her.
There followed an uncomfortable silence.
Please follow me.
A dog followed me home.
I don't quite follow you.
One misfortune followed another.
But day followed day, and she met no nice man.
Follow this road and turn right at the first crossroad.
I don't quite follow you.
He follows the trade of baker.
Harry expects to follow the profession of lawyer.
The streets of Baghdad were almost deserted today as Iraqis turned into their radio to follow the court proceedings.
Dulles said,“I have followed the progress of this regional collective security organization with deep interest.”
We shall follow closely the development of the situation.
We are being followed.
Flashes of lightning were followed by roars of thunder.
In this district wheat-growing is widely followed.
You have made great progress, but it doesn't follow that you'll never fall behind again.
If this view is correct, it follows that the policies of the Chinese Communist Party will not run counter to the interests of the United States in China in the foreseeable.
Because he is good, it does not follow that he is wise.
Then it is time for lunch, followed by a brief rest.
- as follows
列举如下 as now to be told
The full text reads as follows. 全文如下。
My arguments are as follows. 我的意见如下。
The main events were as follows: first, the president's speech, secondly, the secretary's report and thirdly, the chairman's summing-up. 主要活动如下:第一项,总裁讲话; 第二项,秘书汇报; 第三项,主席作总结。
Just before the battle the general addressed his army as follows. 就在战斗打响前,将军对部队讲了下面的话。
- 列举如下 as now to be told
- follow after (v.+prep.)
跟在…后面,追随 go or come after
She used to follow after him wherever he went. 以前,他走到哪里,她总是跟到哪里。
The dog always follows after its master. 这条狗总是跟着他的主人。
Follow after truth if you would be happy. 你若想幸福,就得追求真理。
Follow after peace with all men. 全人类共同追求和平。
- 跟在…后面,追随 go or come after
- follow in one's footsteps (v.+prep.+n.)
踩着别人的脚印走; 效法他人 follow a similar occupation
She works in theatre, following in her father's footsteps. 她秉承父业,也从事戏剧工作。
Her daughter followed in her footsteps and became a doctor. 她女儿走她的路,也当医生。
He was determined to follow in their footsteps and became a true revolutionary. 他决心走他们的路,成为真正的革命者。
We mustn't blindly follow in the footsteps of foreign practice. 我们没必要盲目地按外国的办法行事。
- 踩着别人的脚印走; 效法他人 follow a similar occupation
- follow into (v.+prep.)
跟着…进入… walk behind sb into a place follow sb into sth
She followed him into the room.她随他进入房间。
The boy followed the teacher into the office.那男孩跟着老师走进办公室。
Michael Manley followed his father into politics.迈克尔·曼利跟他父亲从政。
- 跟着…进入… walk behind sb into a place follow sb into sth
- follow on1 (v.+adv.)
继续 continue follow on
I'll be back soon. Meanwhile follow on.我马上就回来,你继续干下去好了。
You go first, and we'll follow on after a short rest.你先去,我们稍作休息就来。
He follows on despite every difficulty.尽管遇到各种困难,但他仍然继续前进。
- 继续 continue follow on
- follow on2 (v.+prep.)
随之发生 happen as a consequence follow on sth
Disease often follows on starvation because the body is weakened.疾病的产生往往是由于饥饿的缘故,因为身体很虚弱。
His disease followed on his mother's death.他母亲去世后不久,他就病了。
Following quickly on this tragedy, the youngest child died of malnutrition.发生这一惨剧后不久,最小的孩子又因营养不良死掉了。
After the taking of Tianjin, he followed on his victory.攻克天津后,他乘胜前进。
- 随之发生 happen as a consequence follow on sth
- follow out (v.+adv.)
贯彻,依照…完成 carry out; finish what you are told to do follow sth ⇔ out
Even though he followed out all the instructions carefully, he couldn't get the machine to work.他虽然认真地执行所有的指令,但依旧未能使机器运转起来。
You follow out his instructions carefully.你认真按他的指示去做。
The boy followed out his father's advice.那个男孩完全按照他爸爸的忠告做事。
The boy followed out the instruction and made a fine model plane.这孩子依照说明做了一个精致的模型飞机。
The police have followed out several lines of inquiry, but are no nearer to finding the culprit.警察继续进行了多方面的调查,但依然没有找到罪犯。
The student followed out all the index references in the encyclopedia until he found what he wanted to know.那位学生找遍百科全书的所有索引,最后终于找到他所想知道的条目。
Follow out all the cross references.查阅所有的互相参照的条目。
- 贯彻,依照…完成 carry out; finish what you are told to do follow sth ⇔ out
- follow through (v.+adv.)
保持,坚持 maintain or continue to the end follow through
He is good at initiating projects but rarely follows through with anything.他善于创建项目,但难得坚持完成。
Bob drew plans for a table for his mother, but he did not follow through by making it.鲍勃计划给母亲做张桌子,但没作出来。follow sth ⇔ through
Starting projects is one thing, following them through is another.着手进行某项目是一回事,而将之进行到底是另一回事。
David is determined to follow his plan through.大卫决心把自己的计划贯彻到底。
Follow through the business, everything will be all right.把这事进行到底,一切都会好的。
- 保持,坚持 maintain or continue to the end follow through
- follow to (v.+prep.)
跟随…到达某地 go along to reach a place; walk behind sb to reach a place follow sb/sth to sth
We can follow this path to the village.我们沿着小路进入村里。
He followed me to the school.他跟我去了学校。
- 跟随…到达某地 go along to reach a place; walk behind sb to reach a place follow sb/sth to sth
- follow up (v.+adv.)
跟着; 追逐; 继续 pursue further; act further on follow up
You start the work, and I'll follow up.你先干起来,我随后。
And the question is worth following up, for the sake of the light it throws on modern knowledge.这一类问题值得进一步探讨,因为它有助于说明现代知识的真实情况。
The editor thinks this story is worth following up.编辑认为这件事值得跟踪报道。follow up with sth
The chairman followed up with another question.主席接着又提了一个问题。follow sb/sth ⇔ up
They followed the criminal up like a shadow and arrested him at his lodging.他们形影不离地跟踪那个罪犯,并在他的住所逮捕了他。
Follow up a lead, clue and rumour.顺着头绪、线索和谣传进行调查。
He followed up his success and started looking for new markets.他获得成功之后再接再厉,又开始寻找新市场了。
After Mary sent a letter application for a job, she followed it up by going to talk to the personnel manager.玛丽把工作申请表寄出去后,又找经理谈话,以使自己更有可能获得那份工作。
The Indians followed up the wounded buffalo until it fell dead.印第安人紧紧地追着那头受伤的水牛,直到它倒地死去。
You should follow up your letter with a phone call.你应该写完信以后再打电话。
We followed up the victory and dispersed the enemy.我们乘胜追击,把敌人打得七零八落。
- 跟着; 追逐; 继续 pursue further; act further on follow up
- follow a course of action 采取一定的行动
- follow a definite pattern 遵循一定的模式
- follow a dog 追赶一条狗
- follow a guide 跟随向导
- follow a lead (牌语)跟牌
- follow a leader 追随领袖
- follow a plan 遵循计划
- follow a principle 遵循一个原则
- follow a speaker's words 听懂发言人的讲话
- follow a speech 听懂讲话
- follow a suggestion 照建议办
- follow a trade 从事某种生意
- follow an elliptical path 沿椭圆形轨道旋转
- follow an example 仿效
- follow an idea 遵循一种想法
- follow fame 追求名利
- follow French politics carefully 密切注意法国的政治
- follow knowledge 追求知识
- follow one's bent 随自己的天性
- follow one's father 继承父业
- follow one's nose 笔直地走,凭本能行事
- follow one's reasoning 抓住某人的一套道理
- follow Plato〔Confucius〕 信奉柏拉图〔孔夫子〕
- follow radio lessons 听广播讲座
- follow sb's advice 听从某人的劝告
- follow sb's argument 理解某人的论点
- follow sb's words 听某人讲话
- follow suit 遵照先例,照样做
- follow the band 赶时髦,追随众人
- follow the conditions 接受这些条件
- follow the court proceedings 听法院审判情况
- follow the direction 执行指示
- follow the drum 从军
- follow the fashion 赶时髦
- follow the instructions 遵照说明书
- follow the law 当律师
- follow the order 执行命令
- follow the original faithfully 忠于原文
- follow the rabbit 追赶兔子
- follow the river 沿河
- follow the road 顺着这条路
- follow the rule 遵守规则
- follow the sea 当水手
- follow the stage 做演员
- follow the trade of builder 从事建筑业
- follow later 稍后到
- follow quite 听明白
- follow abjectly 卑鄙地跟踪
- follow automatically 机械地从事
- follow blindly 盲目听从
- follow closely 紧跟着
- follow conscientiously 认真自觉地遵守
- follow devoutly 诚实地遵守
- follow diligently 勤勉地经营或遵守
- follow doggedly 固执地跟随
- follow dumbly 默默地跟着
- follow dutifully 尽责地跟随或经营
- follow easily 不费力气地执行
- follow gallantly 勇敢地继承或从事
- follow grudgingly 勉强地遵从
- follow faithfully 忠实地执行
- follow frequently 经常遵守
- follow happily 幸亏
- follow heedlessly 漫不经心地跟随
- follow immediately 接着发生
- follow implicitly 盲目听从
- follow inevitably 不可避免地到来
- follow instinctively 本能地听从
- follow invariably 始终如一地遵守
- follow irresistibly 不可抗拒地服从
- follow justly 由此可以正当推断出
- follow mechanically 机械性地模仿
- follow mutely 默默地遵从
- follow naturally 理应懂得
- follow necessarily 由此一定得出
- follow obsequiously 拍马屁
- follow placidly 平静地从事
- follow relentlessly 愤怒地注视
- follow religiously 宗教上从事
- follow reluctantly 勉强地遵从
- follow scrupulously 审慎地听从
- follow sedulously 努力地经营
- follow shortly 紧接着进行
- follow slavishly 盲目跟随
- follow trustfully 信任地跟随
- follow undeviatingly 一贯地从事…
- follow unswervingly 忠实地跟随
- follow wistfully 令人渴望地从事
- follow out 查阅,贯彻,彻底实行,把…追究到底
- follow through 完成,服从,再接再厉
- follow the plan through 将计划进行到底
- follow up 跟踪,监督,继承,重复补充,贯彻到底
- follow up this subject 继续研究这个问题
One of the Norman strangers who followed in the wake of the Conqueror.出自：J. R. Green
One by one they had followed each other out.出自：E. Bowen
The smell of fresh earth that follows a plow.出自：J. Cheever
The duckling followed its mother everywhere.
as follows属于固定的习惯用语，在以词组形式出现的时候，follow不可以单数形式出现，不管句子主语是单数或复数，只可以as follows的形式出现。
The rule is as follows.
The rules are as follows.
A strange thing followed upon the incident.
- (as) in the following同as follows一样都属于固定搭配，两者不可混用，如不可随意更改成as following或in the follows；
The following is my full name.
The following are our full names.
Following the ceremony a reception was held.
I followed him to go into the house.
这种说法是不可以的。应改成I followed him into the house。
- follow可用于It follows that-clause结构,意思是“说明”“证明”。
- as follows是个惯用语,不管主语是单数还是复数,也不管使用何种时态,都用as follows。
- follow sb, follow at sb
follow at sb 的意思是“跟随某人”,而follow sb 的意思是“紧跟某人”。例如:
- She always follows at her husband.
- She followed her husband.
- follow advice, follow out sb's advice
- following, followed
- Tom came in, followed by his father.
- Tome came in, following his father.
- follow, chase, pursue, tag, tail, trail
这组词都有“跟随,追踪”的意思。它们的区别是:1.follow指跟随起引导作用的人或物或遵循他人的计划; 而pursue指为达到某个目的而坚持不懈地紧跟、追赶或追求某人、某物或某种事业。跟随他人的计划时用follow,追随自己的计划时用pursue。例如:She has pursued the goal of perfection in her art.在艺术中,她追求完美。She pursued the study of French for four years.她坚持学了四年法语。The country has always pursued a policy of peace.该国一直奉行和平政策。2.chase指迅速追赶在逃的目标以便将其抓获或赶走,而follow则指继之而来或去。tag指不断地纠缠或恼人的尾随某人; tail指紧密尾随并监视; trail指跟踪追击。例如:The dog chased a mouse, but could not catch it.这狗追赶老鼠,但没有捉住。The policeman chased the thief.警察追赶小偷。What are you tagging along for?You aren't invited.你怎么跟着我?又没邀请你。The detective tailed the thief through the crowd.侦探在人群中跟踪小偷。The hunter trailed the wounded buffalo through the bush.猎人穿过灌木林追猎受伤的水牛。3.chase较follow, pursue更具感情色彩,除常表示不友好之外,其行动也可能是出于嬉戏或高兴。还可表示一种热切的,为满足情欲而进行的搜寻。例如:The boy chased his playmate around the block.那个男孩绕着街区追逐他的玩伴。He is the man who chased after woman all his life.他就是那个一生都在追求女人的男子。
- follow, ensue, succeed, supervene
这四个词都有“接着发生”的意思。它们的区别是:ensue指具有因果关系的事物连续发生; follow指事物按照时间顺序、逻辑关系连续发生; succeed强调相似的人或事物、事件按一定的顺序不间断的接踵而至,尤指时间或空间上的连续; supervene指意外的发生。例如:After the heavy rains, floods ensued.暴雨之后发生了水灾。A silence succeeded his words.他说完话后是一阵的沉默。The meeting went on until lack of time supervened.会议因时间不足而结束。
- pursue follow chase hunt trace track trail
误 I shall follow behind him to the station.
正 I shall follow him to the station.
误 I followed him to do the drills.
正 I did the drills after him.
错句：the pages are all mixed up; this should follow after that.
纠正：the pages are all mixed up; this should follow that.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的folagin，意为跟随，追随。
- follow:follow vt. 跟随, 追随, 沿...而行, 理解, 遵循, 从事, 追求, 注视vi. 跟随, 接着n. 跟随, 追随 英英解释:动词follow:1. to travel behind,…