- n. 钻孔机；钻子；反复操练；播种机
- v. 练习；钻孔；(军事)训练
- 【军】操练 ，训练
- [C]钻头,钻床 a tool or machine for making holes
- [U]操练,训练 training and instruction in a subject of for a purpose, especially by means of repeating and following exact order
- vt. & vi. 钻(孔); 钻除 make a hole or remove sth with a drill
- vt. & vi. 操练 train and exercise soldiers, students, etc. under instruction
a tool with a sharp point and cutting edges for making holes in hard materials (usually rotating rapidly or by repeated blows)
similar to the mandrill but smaller and less brightly colored
systematic training by multiple repetitions;
"practice makes perfect"
(military) the training of soldiers to march (as in ceremonial parades) or to perform the manual of arms
make a hole, especially with a pointed power or hand tool;
"don't drill here, there's a gas pipe"
"drill a hole into the wall"
"drill for oil"
"carpenter bees are boring holes into the wall"
train in the military, e.g., in the use of weapons
learn by repetition;
"We drilled French verbs every day"
"Pianists practice scales"
teach by repetition
undergo military training or do military exercises
- The dentist's drill made a lot of noise.
- Jack used a drill to bore a hole in the wall above the fireplace.
- Today's art lesson came to an abrupt end when the gongs sounded for a fire drill.
- You'd better set a goal before you start the drill.
- There'll be a fire-drill this morning.
- You should finish your English grammar drills in the class.
- A plow equipped with a double moldboard that turns up the soil on each side of the furrow,often having an attached drill for seed planting.
- Listen to the first paragraph, then let them drill in teams.
- Let's drill them in English pronunciation.
- The workman is drilling in the wall.
- We had to drill down 200 feet to find water.
- The soldiers drill every morning.
- He used a drill to bore a hole in the door.
- The next year saw them make a new record by boring a well with one drill in a single day.
- I need a drill to make a hole for the rod.
- An enormous drill was being used to look for oil in the seabed.
- The drill ship for marine geological prospecting has successfully drilled a well for deep water oil prospecting in the Yellow Sea.
- To do drills is important in language learning.
- The teacher told us to put aside our books and get ready for the weekly drill.
- When the fire drill starts, students will evacuate the building.
- A fire drill interrupted the lesson.
- This is a good drill for learning how to use English verbs.
- She paired the pupils in question and answer drills.
- What is the drill for claiming expenses?
- What is the drill for filling out this form?
- He was told to give his name, age and address—that was the drill.
- The worker was drilling.
- Don't drill, please.
- The workmen are drilling in the road.
- A bullet drilled through his stomach.
- They intend to drill for oil.
- A group of students were drilling in the early morning.
- After a break they went on drilling.
- I could hear birds whistling at the edge of the woods and the Prussians drilling in the meadow behind the sawmill.
- The sportsmen are all out drilling for the National Games.
- The bullet drilled him right between the eyes.
- The dentist drilled my tooth.
- They drilled rocks for inserting dynamite.
- The dentist is drilling my tooth for a filling.
- The dentist drilled the bad bits out of her tooth.
- The workmen have been drilling the road all day.
- In less than a year they drilled a high-production oil well.
- The sergeant is drilling the recruits on the square.
- In the steel plate five holes were drilled an inch apart.
- drill down (v.+adv.)
在地面上打洞 make a deep hole in the ground
We had to drill down 200 feet to find water.
- drill in1 (v.+adv.)
反复教授,灌输 teach (sth) with force and repetition
drill sth ⇔ in
The speaker tried to drill in his point but the crowd was not interested.
- drill in2 (v.+prep.)
指导反复练习 instruct and exercise (students) by the repeating of words, actions, etc.
drill sb in sth
The teacher drilled the class in pronunciation of Latin words.
The teacher drilled his students in sentence patterns.
The mother drilled her daughter in all that she should do at the wedding ceremony.
She has been drilled in the art of courtesy.
A girl should be drilled in all that she should do.
They are thoroughly drilled in English grammar.
- drill into (v.+prep.)
反复地将…教授〔灌输〕给(某人) teach (sth) by force and repetition to (sb)
drill into sth
The violent daylight drills into the room.
He sensed that the eyes of the men were drilling into the back of his neck.
他感到人们的目光狠狠地盯着他的脖子后面。drill sth into sb
Can't you drill some manners into the boy?
I simply don't believe that spoken skills can be drilled into learners in a language laboratory.
我简直不相信在语言实验室里能够把说话的技能传授给学生。drill into sb that/wh-clause
She drilled into the children that they must say “thank you” to their hostess.
Parents often try to drill into their children how much they owe them.
- carry out drill 进行训练
- have drill 操练
- operate drill 操作钻机
- perform drill 进行训练
- receive a drill 接受训练
- use a drill 用钻孔机
- air-raid drill 防空演习
- class drill 课堂操练
- close-order drill 紧密队形操练
- fire drill 消防演习
- lifeboat drill 救生艇训练
- bench drill 台钻
- dentist's drill 牙钻
- diamond drill 金刚石钻头
- hand drill 手钻
- power drill 电钻
- road drill 修路的钻机
- drill to bore a hole 钻孔的钻孔机
- drill English pronunciation 训练英语发音
- drill soldiers 训练士兵
- drill students 对学生进行训练
- drill troops 训练军队
- drill hole 钻孔
- drill rocks 钻岩石
- drill teeth 钻牙
- drill well 钻井
Loading drill on the five-inch gun.出自： T. Heggen
The days were taken up with a succession of drills and parades and inspections.出自： S. Hill
Just ordinary drills of cabbages.出自： C. S. Lewis
Farmers' wives in white drill overalls.出自： W. Holtby
Purposely drilling out the time, hoping to encline the Senate to favour his designe.出自： J. Ussher
Rabbit-holes drill the bank everywhere.出自： R. Jefferies
- drill还可作“操练,训练”解,在表示具体的“操练”时,用作可数名词。反复多次的“操练”可用复数形式; 在表示抽象意义的“操练”时,多用作不可数名词。
- drill引申还可作“规定程序; 正确方法; 常规”解,主要用于英式英语中。
- drill in, drill into
- 1.作“在…钻”解时,只能用drill into,不能用drill in。
- 2.作“反复灌输”解时,两者句型不同, drill in须用drill sb in sth; 而drill into须用drill sth into sb,即drill in的宾语是“灌输”的内容,而drill into的宾语是“灌输”的对象。另外,作此解时drill in中的drill可用作不及物动词,而drill into中的drill只能用作及物动词。
- drill, exercise, practise, train
- We should constantly exercise our muscles.我们应该经常锻炼肌肉。
- You should practise playing the piano regularly.你应该按时练习弹钢琴。
- Their early training programmes them to be obedient and submissive.他们早先受过的教育把他们训练得俯首帖耳、唯命是从。
- ☆ 直接源自中古荷兰语的drillen，意为钻孔。