- [C] 学校 a place of education for children
- [U] 上学,学业,上课(时间) attendance or study at a school; the day's work at a school
- [C] (大学里的)学院 (in certain universities) a department concerned with a particular subject
- [C] 学派,流派 a group of people with the same methods, opinions, style, etc.
an educational institution;
"the school was founded in 1900"
a building where young people receive education;
"the school was built in 1932"
"he walked to school every morning"
the process of being formally educated at a school;
"what will you do when you finish school?"
a body of creative artists or writers or thinkers linked by a similar style or by similar teachers;
"the Venetian school of painting"
the period of instruction in a school; the time period when school is in session;
"stay after school"
"he didn't miss a single day of school"
"when the school day was done we would walk home together"
an educational institution's faculty and students;
"the school keeps parents informed"
"the whole school turned out for the game"
a large group of fish;
"a school of small glittering fish swam by"
educate in or as if in a school;
"The children are schooled at great cost to their parents in private institutions"
teach or refine to be discriminative in taste or judgment;
"Cultivate your musical taste"
"Train your tastebuds"
"She is well schooled in poetry"
swim in or form a large group of fish;
"A cluster of schooling fish was attracted to the bait"
- She studies in a high school.
- Soon, the whole school knew about her win.
- This is the argument of the school.
- The Prague School has three important points.
- What was your experience in film school like?
- The graduate school is recruiting students, you can try.
- She should be schooled with her peers.
- I have schooled myself to remain calm under pressure.
- We have a sports meet in spring and autumn every year in our school.
- He likes the school, but he does not want to enroll.
- There is a small boarding school in the little town.
- Most schools cater for children of different abilities.
- The date of the examination will be announced to all schools later in the year.
- The students in middle schools should build up a solid foundation in English.
- Children return home when school is over.
- It is declared that there will be no school this afternoon.
- The reason I did not come to school was that I was ill.
- When school is out,I am going to live a life of ease for a week.
- My business is selling cars; yours is studying at school.
- The boys next door cut through our yard on their way to school.
- The difficult work discouraged Alan and he left school.
- You must conform to the rules, or leave school.
- She is admitted to a medical school.
- He went to the school of law for three years.
- The headmaster told the school at assembly.
- The whole school was/were down at the sports field.
- The school is/are full of enthusiasm.
- Again the school children trod a path through his plot.
- The boy cannot afford to pay his school fees.
- They have much formal school training.
- He gives his son some money for the purchase of his school books.
- A high percentage of textbook publishers are former school teachers.
- Everybody approves of the plans for a new school building.
- Many city vehicles have been adapted for use as school buses.
- a school of thought
有类似观点的一批人; 思想流派 group of people with similar views; school of opinion
- of the old school
老式的; 传统的 belonging to an old-fashioned group
- tell tales out of school
失去信任; 揭人隐私 break a confidence; reveal a secret
- attend school 入学
- begin school 开始上学
- build a school 建一所学校
- conduct a school 办学校
- cut school 旷课
- direct a school 管理学校
- dismiss school 放学
- drop out of school 中途辍学
- endow a school 捐款办一所学校
- enter school 入学
- finish school 完成学业
- found a school 创办学校
- go to school 上学
- join school 入学
- keep a school 办学校
- leave school 退学,毕业离校
- maintain a school 维持学业
- manage a school 管理学校
- operate school 管理学校
- quit school 退学
- run a school 办学
- set up a school 开办学校
- start school 开始上学
- stay away from school 旷课
- teach school 任教
- common school 公立小学校
- elementary school 小学
- good school 好学校
- high school 中学
- junior high school 初中
- key school 重点学校
- medical school 医学院
- middle school 中学
- military school 军事学校
- national school 国民小学(为贫苦儿童设立的民办小学)
- normal school 师范学校
- old school 母校
- primary school 小学
- private school 私立学校
- professional school 职业学校
- public school 公立学校
- secretarial school 秘书学校
- senior high school 高中
- small school 小型的学校
- technical school 技术学校
- vocational school 职业学校
- whole school 全校(师生)
- different schools 各种学派
- ultra-modern school 超现代派
- adult school 成人学校
- art school 艺术学校
- ballet school 芭蕾舞学校
- beauty school 美容学校
- boarding school 寄宿学校
- branch school 分校
- business school 商业学校
- church school 教会学校
- day school 日校
- engineering school 工程技术学院
- evening school 夜校
- government school 国立学校
- grade school 小学
- graduate school 研究所,研究生院
- grammar school 普通中学
- laboratory school 实验学校
- law school 法学院
- moonlight school 成人夜校(尤指美国南方)
- police school 警察学校
- sports school 体育学校
- summer school 暑期学校
- Sunday school 主日学校(指星期日对儿童进行宗教教育的学校,大多附设于教堂)
- the French Impressionist school 法国印象派
- trade school 中等职业学校
- boy's school 男生学校
- girl's school 女子学校
- school age 上学的年龄
- school bus 校车
- school building 校舍
- school programme 教学大纲
- school report (学生的)成绩单
- school subjects 课程
Old friends, having been at school together.出自： I. Murdoch
The boy was schooled to announce..Smolders' innocence to all comers.出自： T. Keneally
He was schooled at home until he went up to Oxford.出自： G. Daly
- school还可表示大学里的“学院”。作“学派,流派”解时常用于习语a school of thought。
- at school, in school
- 这两个短语意思不同:at school常指“在学校上课”,涉及的时间较短; in school常指“在学校求学”,涉及的时间相对较长。试比较:
- The kids are now at school.
- My son, though 32, is still in school.
- 我的儿子虽然已32岁了,但还在学校 求学。
- school, academy, college, institute, university
- 这组词都有“学校”的意思。其区别在于:school一般指儿童或中学生学习或受教育的场所; university指综合性大学,可授予各种学位; college多指与综合性大学相对应的或综合大学内的专科院校,尤指军事、体育或艺术院校; academy指培训特别是特别技术或技能的学校、学院; institute主要指研究所、学会,在俄罗斯常指专科院校,而在英美教育体系中则很少见。例如:
- Children must attend school.儿童必须上学。
- The college is affiliated to the university.这所学院隶属于那所大学。
- He graduated from an academy of music in his early days.他早年毕业于一所音乐专科学校。
- He was graduated from the Dalian Institute of Foreign Languages in the class of 1963.他是大连外国语学院1963届的毕业生。
- school, drove, flock, herd, pack, swarm
- 这组词都可作“群”解。其区别在于：flock是鸟或兽群的通俗用语,特指绵羊、山羊的“群”; herd通常指大动物的“群”,特指家畜的“群”; drove指被驱赶着的牛、羊、猪等的“群”; pack指猎犬、狼、狐、恶人等,用来指人群时含有轻蔑的意味; swarm指蜜蜂、昆虫等的“群”; school指水栖动物的“群”,如鱼、虾等。例如:
- This is a drove of deer.这是一群鹿。
- There are a flock of wild ducks in the pool.池塘里有一群野鸭。
- A pack of hounds chased the fox.一群猎狗追猎那只狐狸。
- I keep a large herd of cattle.我养一大群牛。
- Schools of dolphins live in the Pacific Ocean .太平洋里生活着成群的海豚。
- A swarm of ants are moving busily.一群蚂蚁正在忙碌地搬家。
误 He is old enough to go to the school.
正 He is old enough to go to school.
析 表示“上学”(go to school)不需加冠词the; 当表示“到学校去访问或为别的事情到学校里”,则说go to the school。你的孩子到了上学的年龄吗?
误 Is your child of the school age?
正 Is your child of school age?
析 说“学龄”用school age,不用the school age。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的scol；最初源自拉丁语的schola，意为学校。