- 美国公路巡警（是美国公路驾车者给他们起的绰号Smokey Bear的简称）
- vt. & vi. 承担,负担 sustain, support
- vt. & vi. 忍受,容忍 put up with
- vt. 佩戴,具有,怀有(感情) wear, have, harbour (feelings)
- vt. & vi. 生(孩子),出身; 结(果实),产生 give birth to; bring or provide
- vt. & vi. 推动; 挤压 push to move
- vi. 转向; 指向 turn to
- [C]熊 big, wild animal with thick fur
- [C]粗鲁无礼、脾气暴躁的人 a rough, badmanner, bad tempered man
- [C]证券交易投机商,证券行情看跌的人 a person who sells business shares or goods in expectation of a fall in prices
massive plantigrade carnivorous or omnivorous mammals with long shaggy coats and strong claws
an investor with a pessimistic market outlook; an investor who expects prices to fall and so sells now in order to buy later at a lower price
"bear a resemblance"
"bear a signature"
cause to be born;
"My wife had twins yesterday!"
put up with something or somebody unpleasant;
"I cannot bear his constant criticism"
"The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"
"he learned to tolerate the heat"
"She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage"
move while holding up or supporting;
"bear a heavy load"
"The apple tree bore delicious apples this year"
"The unidentified plant bore gorgeous flowers"
take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person;
"I'll accept the charges"
"She agreed to bear the responsibility"
contain or hold; have within;
"The jar carries wine"
"The canteen holds fresh water"
"This can contains water"
"How much does this savings certificate pay annually?"
have on one's person;
"He wore a red ribbon"
"bear a scar"
behave in a certain manner;
"She carried herself well"
"he bore himself with dignity"
"They conducted themselves well during these difficult times"
have rightfully; of rights, titles, and offices;
"She bears the title of Duchess"
"He held the governorship for almost a decade"
support or hold in a certain manner;
"She holds her head high"
"He carried himself upright"
be pregnant with;
"She is bearing his child"
"The are expecting another child in January"
"I am carrying his child"
- The hunter slashed at the bear with his knife.
- The bear has lived up to his reputation for stupidity.
- I can't bear young people casting away their youth.
- Girls whom can get easily may be hard to bear.
- The shelf, too weak to bear all the books, collapsed.
- They will bud and blossom and bear fruit.
- "A-bomb, H-bomb and nuclear-powered submarine"
- He was born to an affluent family.
- It is said that wisdom is born with a man.
- She was unable to bear.
- Next year the tree will bear.
- Some of the new-planted apple orchards have also begun to bear.
- The peach tree bears well.
- The peach trees are not going to bear well this year.
- The lighthouse bears due west.
- At the fork of the road, bear toward the left.
- The road bears towards the left when it reaches the brigade clinic.
- To get the door open, you have to bear hard against it.
- It took two men to bear that stone.
- His shoulders can bear a heavy load.
- A camel can bear burden.
- Three helping one another bear the burden of six.
- This beam bears the whole weight of the upper floor.
- The delicate handicraft works will not bear rough handling.
- The ice is too thin to bear your weight.
- We will bear all the expenses.
- The government will bear the expenses of these orphans' education.
- It would be unjust for him to bear personally the great expenses involved.
- In such cases the state bears the loss.
- I'm willing to bear the blame for my mistakes.
- Who will bear the responsibility?
- Naturally they will have to bear all the consequences.
- The captain of the ship bears a heavy load of duty and anxiety at all times.
- The chief cadre in charge should bear greater responsibility.
- This theory will bear examination.
- The matter would bear no delay.
- The election results just don't bear examination.
- His claim doesn't bear close examination.
- The paper does not bear ink.
- The passage cannot bear such an interpretation.
- We must face the trouble and bear it.
- Surely there is a limit to what one can bear.
- They are the first to bear hardships, and the last to enjoy comforts.
- He bore all hardships bravely.
- He bears pain well.
- She bore the operation satisfactorily.
- I can't bear the pain any longer.
- She bore the pain with great courage.
- He bore the pain without a word of complaint.
- Seated beside him,I bore the ordeal for two hours.
- I can't bear the noise.
- I can't bear this scent.
- Some people cannot bear the smell of tobacco.
- I can't bear the sound of chalk scraping on a blackboard.
- I cannot bear the sight of that man.
- I couldn't bear it if he left.
- Zoya heroically bore the torture that the Fascists inflicted upon her.
- She can't bear anyone who is more capable than her.
- The Nobel Medal bears the image of the great Swedish inventor.
- A long placard bore the names of all the new recruits.
- The letter bears her signature.
- This letter bears no date or signature.
- This letter bears a wrong address.
- The stone wall bears an inscription.
- His face bears the scars of burns.
- The students all bear their school badges.
- He bore a red badge on his arm.
- Many of them bore posters and charts.
- The old man arrived, bearing a large bundle on his head.
- The bed bore traces of having been slept in.
- All these old novels bear the religions and superstitious characters of the feudal society.
- The scene bore all the marks of a country wedding.
- I bear hatred against no men.
- He has always born a profound feeling for his home village.
- His wife later bore a son and a daughter.
- She has borne a girl.
- She has already borne several children.
- She has borne a child and decided not to bear any more.
- The credit bears interest at the rate of 2.5 per cent.
- The chestnut trees begin to bear fruit.
- The tree is bearing a lot of apples this year.
- The tree bears a hard red fruit.
- The trees have borne rich fruit.
- Peach trees have already begun to bear fruit.
- After a couple of weeks, almost all the cotton plants bore bolls.
- This plant bears many small white blossoms.
- The soil bears good cotton.
- The 4000-metre-high mountain in this area bears various types of forests.
- She bears herself nobly.
- She bears herself gracefully.
- They bore themselves with dignity.
- He bears himself very well when he is marching along.
- The soldiers bore themselves well in the battle.
- You have borne yourself bravely in the battle.
- The boy bears himself without a trace of confusion.
- He bore himself with dignity under such difficult circumstances.
- Despite being heckled by the crowd, the leader bore himself with dignity.
- She bore herself like a queen.
- He bears himself like a soldier.
- He was born by Eve.
- Here Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12th,1809.1809
年2月12日亚伯拉 罕· 林肯诞生于此地。
- He was born on the 19th of June,1967.
- His eldest son was born in 1962.
- In 1949 the People's Republic of China was born.1949
- He was born in 1985 in Tokyo.
- He was born in Beijing in 1950.
- I was born in the family of a seaman.
- He was born of a peasant family.
- He was born of French parents.
- He was born to a tailor's wife in Calcutta.
- Mark Twain was born to the Clemens family, in a small Missouri village,November 30,1835.
- He was born with a good memory.
- Love is born of heart, not mind.
- His wish to become a doctor was born of a desire to help sick people.
- New arts have been born in the course of the history of men.
- All the costs of the repairs will be borne by our company.
- We were borne backwards by the crowd.
- The sound of music was borne on the wind.
- The sound of the children playing was borne across the garden to the house.
- The dead man was borne from the room.
- Can you bear to hear about it again?
- How can your mother bear to part with you?
- I can't bear to see you like this.
- Oh,I can't bear to think of it!
- She couldn't bear to turn around again.
- She couldn't bear to see others suffer.
- She couldn't bear to see animals treated cruelly.
- I cannot bear to leave him alone.
- He can't bear to be laughed at.
- She can't bear to watch them suffer.
- Can you bear hearing about it again?
- Some people cannot bear travelling by sea.
- I can't bear making a long journey by bus.
- She cannot bear travelling long distances.
- Old people usually can't bear living alone.
- She couldn't bear seeing others suffer.
- I can't bear parting with them.
- She can't bear being laughed at.
- The words won't bear repeating.
- It doesn't bear thinking about.
- This cloth won't bear washing.
- Polyester bears washing.
- I cannot bear his speaking to me in that rude manner.
- She can't bear him making fun of her.
- He could not bear that his friends should laugh at him.
- He could not bear that they should be so conceited.
- I couldn't bear that Mother should scold me in the face of my friends.
- I'll bear you company.
- I know you bear him a grudge for acting like that.
- I bear him no grudge.
- She bears us no prejudice.
- She bears us no ill-will.
- She bears him hatred.
- He bore the horse much affection.
- She bore him two sons.
- No man is born a genius.
- I can't bear him to do this.
- The old man can't bear anyone in the family to oppose him.
- She could not bear me to be away.
- The child couldn't bear me to be away so long.
- I couldn't bear the girl to be seized and taken away by the nobleman.
- He could not bear his company to be attacked like that.
- Could you bear your favourite child to be ruined?
- He was born wise.
- He was born shoulder-high after his victory.
- He was born an orator.
- The bear attacked me from behind.
- The bear is a large, heavy animal with thick fur.
- The black bear is larger than the panda.
- The bear eats fruit and insects as well as flesh.
- Don't sell the bear's skin before one has caught the bear.
- Look at the bear, how funny it is!
- Look, that polar bear is very big.
- There are two bears in the zoo.
- They went out to hunt bears.
- Some animals, including bears, only half-hibernate.
- There is a ban on hunting bear in the country.
- Yesterday was a bear market.
- He is a perfect bear.
- That man is as cross as a bear.
- She is nice, but her husband is such a bear that nobody likes him.
- That boy was a bear at mathematics.
- The rally in U.S. futures yesterday encouraged pre-holiday bear covering.
- bear along (v.+adv.)
推着…前进 cause (sb/sth) to move forward by pushing heavily
bear sb/sth ⇔ along
The crowd bore us along.
He was borne along by the crowd.
The boat is borne along by the tides to the shore.
- bear away (v.+adv.)
(被某种情感)驱使; 左右 be seized (by a feeling)
bear sb/sth ⇔ away
She bore away the first prize in the singing competition.
We bore away the championship in the table-tennis tournament.
The young boxer bore away the prize.
Jim bore away most of the prizes at the races.
He bore away the first prize in the men's singles.
他获得了男子单打冠军。bear sb/sth ⇔ away
It took ten cars to bear the wedding guests away.
A horse-drawn carriage was coming along the road to bear away the royal party.
The ambassadors to the emperor bore away great gifts.
When all the people were on board, the boat bore away.
人们都上船后,那船离岸了。bear sb ⇔ away
Lady Alice was borne away with joy when her child was given back to her.
- bear back (v.+adv.)
使人回想起 bring back to mind
bear sb/sth ⇔ back
It was he who bore back the latest news.
His own cry, which clattered down the silent ravines, was borne back to his ears in the countless repetitions.
他自己的叫声在寂静的山谷回响,一而再,再而三地传回到他耳中。bear sb/sth ⇔ back
We bore back the crowd to let the ambulance pass.
The attackers were borne back.
The crowd bore back so that the ambulance could pass.
人群向后退开,让救护车可以开过去。bear sb/sth ⇔ back
The sight of the garden bore back the days when we lived in Paris.
- bear down (v.+adv.)
把…拿下来,搬下来 take away
bear sb/sth ⇔ down
The heavy coat seemed to bear him down.
The heavy burden bore him down.
What a bumper harvest! The stalks are borne down with the weight of the rice ears.
真是个大丰收! 稻穗重得把稻秆都压弯了。bear sb/sth ⇔ down
He bore down his opposition.
We bore down the enemy.
The indubitable evidence we produced bore down our opponents in the debate.
Eventually, after much dogged fighting, our troops bore down all resistance.
After two hours' heavy fighting, we bore down the enemy's resistance.
The defendant was borne down by the weight of evidence.
The enemy on the hill were borne down by our massive attack.
Far from being discouraged, he actually bore down.
We are sure to fulfil the task ahead of schedule if everyone bears down.
He ran behind the other competitors most of the way, but in the last 50 yards he bore down and overtook them.
The driver bore down with all his strength to control the car when the wheel stuck.
The nurse will tell you when to bear down.
护士会告诉你该什么时候用劲。bear sth ⇔ down
The boys climbed the ladder to pick the apples off the tree and then bore them down.
- bear down on〔upon〕 (v.+adv.+prep.)
责骂,责罚 scold, reprimand, punish
- bear in (v.+adv.)
抬进 take in
bear sb/sth ⇔ in
They bore in his body.
- bear in mind
记住,考虑 remember to consider, take account of
bear sth in mind
I'll bear your advice in my mind.
This should always be borne in mind.
Yet there is an other point to be borne in mind.
但还有另外一点是应当记住的。bear in mind that-clause
He didn't do the job very well, but you must bear in mind that he was ill at the time.
As generation gap exists, we must bear in mind that the younger people might not like that idea.
Please bear in mind that they are our enemy.
He has born in mind that you hurt him.
You must bear in mind that some of those plants are poisonous.
- bear in on〔upon〕 (v.+adv.+prep.)
使…切实地意识到 bring to the attention of
bear sth in on〔upon〕 sb
〔说明〕 本短语中bear的宾语通常为that从句，此时常用“It is/was borne in on〔upon〕 sb+that-clause”句型。
It was slowly borne in on me that he would never return.
Slowly it was borne in on the citizens that the enemy had surrounded them.
It must be borne in upon you all that such behaviour will not be tolerated.
- bear in with (v.+adv.+prep.)
驶向 run or tend towards
bear in with sth
The ship is bearing in with the land.
- bear off (v.+adv.)
驶离 (of a boat) to move away
bear sb/sth ⇔ off
The bird seized the insect and bore it off to its nest.
The raiders bore off many of the local girls.
A horse-drawn carriage was coming along the road to bear off the royal party.
沿路驶来一辆四轮马车要把皇室一行拉走。bear sth ⇔ off
He bore off all the prizes.
We bore off the championship in the table-tennis tournament.
The clever boy bore off every prize.
Our army bore off the palm in the battle.
Is everyone on board?Let's bear off, we have no time to waste.
We followed the course until the afternoon, then we bore off to the eastward.
- bear on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
指向; 瞄准; 用于 point in the direction of
- bear out (v.+adv.)
证明,证实 support the truth of
bear sb/sth ⇔ out
He will bear me out in what I advance.
John will bear me out.
If I tell the judge that I wasn't there, will you bear me out?
I'm sure my friend will bear me out in all that I have said.
I am sure he will bear me out in what I have said.
He will bear me out that I actually saw it.
I'm sure you will all bear me out that far too much money has been spent on this project already.
Facts will bear out the statement.
Modern findings do not bear out the old belief that the earth is flat.
I'm afraid that the results bear out my earlier suspicions.
All these facts have borne out the hypothesis.
The investigation bears out my own theory.
The results of the experiment bear out your theory.
What he said bears out my argument.
The school does not bear out the claims made of it.
His success bore out the fact that the key to success is hard work.
She recently won a beauty contest, which bears out the fact that she is one of the prettiest girls in town.
The prisoner's story was borne out by his wife.
It has been borne out by statistics.
This expectation is not borne out.
Her account of what happened is simply not borne out by the facts.
His decision was borne out by the fact that most of the people were young.
他的决定立足于大多数人都很年轻这一事实。bear out wh-clause
I hope you will bear out what I tell them.
The developments of events bore out what he had said.
Time will bear out what I've said.
This bears out what you said.
- bear to (v.+prep.)
相像 bear a resemblance to
bear sb/sth to sb/sth
The vehicle bore me to the capital.
The carriage bore us to our destination.
The passers-by bore the wounded driver to the hospital.
Sadly, the men bore the dead child to his mother.
A line of servants entered, bearing food to the guests.
仆人们排成一行走了进来,为客人们端来了食物。bear a resemblance to sb/sth
What a remarkable resemblance she bears to the famous actress!
The finished book bears no resemblance to the material I sent.
- bear up (v.+adv.)
打起精神,坚持下去 encourage; keep one's spirits; carry on
bear sb/sth ⇔ up
The old bridge can hardly bear up its own weight now.
The sticks are strong enough to bear up the weight of the roof.
Bear up!Bear up!
Tell her to bear up.
In view of the death of her husband, she's bearing up as well as can be expected.
The news of her mother's death was a great shock to her, but she bore up bravely, going on doing her work well.
There's no need to be unhappy.You must try to bear up.
How are you today?—Not very well, but managing to bear up.
She bore up well during her convalescence.
Tom bore up bravely during his father's illness.
How is she bearing up after her illness?
How is Mrs.Smith bearing up after the death of her husband?
The young girl bore up well after her dad and granny were killed by the aggressors.
How can you bear up when you face so many difficulties?
面对这么多困难,你怎能支持得住?bear sb/sth ⇔ up
The aid should bear them up.
The timely aid from the old workers bore us up.
He tried to bear up her spirit.
The famous poet was borne up by love of his motherland.
He was borne up by a strong sense of responsibility.
强烈的责任感使他坚持了下来。bear up against〔under〕 sth
It is particularly difficult to bear up against the midsummer heat in Wuhan.
The bridge can bear up against the force of the current.
He bore up well against his father's death.
In spite of his tiredness he bore up well against the fatigue.
He bore up well against all these misfortunes.
This ship will bear up under strong winds.
We should always bear up under stress.
Mrs.Lewis is bearing up under her great sorrow.
Some of the older patients bear up under pain more easily than the younger ones.
I don't know how she continues to bear up under the strain of having to look after her invalid mother.
- bear with (v.+prep.)
耐心等待 wait for with patience
- be a bear for
在…方面很顽强的人 an indomitable person in some respect
- like a bear with a sore head
脾气坏; 情绪恶劣 irritable, bad-tempered
- bear a heavy burden 负重荷〔重担〕
- bear a heavy load 负重荷〔重担〕
- bear a loss 承担损失
- bear charges 负担经费
- bear consequences 承担后果
- bear expenses 承担费用
- bear one's weight 承受重量
- bear responsibility 承担责任
- bear the stone 抬起石头
- bear the supplies 驮着补给品
- bear a person 容忍某人
- bear a severe test 经受严峻的考验
- bear examination 经得住检验
- bear exploitation 受剥削
- bear handling 经得起摆弄
- bear hardship 忍受艰难困苦
- bear inquiry 经得起查问
- bear investigation 值得调查
- bear misfortunes 忍受灾难
- bear no comparison with... 与…不能相比
- bear no delay 耽误不得
- bear oppression 受压迫
- bear pain 忍受痛苦
- bear punishment 忍受处罚
- bear repeating 值得重复
- bear scrutinizing 经得起检查
- bear such an interpretation 适宜这样解释
- bear test 经受住考验
- bear the blame 受责备
- bear the heat 耐热
- bear the manner 容忍那样的态度
- bear the noise 忍受吵闹声
- bear the ordeal 经得起严峻考验
- bear the scent 忍受这气味
- bear the smell 忍受这气味
- bear the sound 忍受这声音
- bear torture 忍受折磨
- bear two explanations 容许两种解释
- bear washing 耐洗
- bear a complaint 心中有怨气
- bear a grudge 怀恨在心
- bear an affection 怀着爱慕的感情
- bear an affection for sb 对某人怀着爱慕的感情
- bear deep feelings 怀有深厚感情
- bear hatred 怀恨
- bear love 怀有爱慕之情
- bear love for... 怀着对…的爱
- bear forest 有森林
- bear interest 生息
- bear sb company 与…作伴
- bear sb goodwill 对…怀着善意
- bear sb ill feeling 对某人有恶感
- bear sb ill will 对某人心怀恶意
- bear sb's advice in mind 记住某人的忠告
- bear a boy 生一个男孩
- bear a daughter 生一个女儿
- bear a girl 生一个女孩
- bear a lot of apples 结许多苹果
- bear a son 生一个儿子
- bear sb child 为…生孩子
- bear blossoms 开花
- bear cotton bolls 结棉花桃
- bear fruit 结果实
- bear good cotton 出产优质棉花
- bear the market 拉跌市价
- bear a badge 佩戴徽章
- bear insignia 佩戴标志
- bear a sword 佩着剑
- bear a gentle look 有和善的面孔
- bear a hand 帮忙
- bear a reputation 有信誉
- bear a revolver 带着左轮手枪
- bear a sign 有记号
- bear a title 具有头衔
- bear an amiable expression 带着和蔼的表情
- bear an evil look 带着一副凶相
- bear an expression of... 带着…的表情
- bear an inscription 有题词
- bear arms 带着武器
- bear designs of... 有…样的设计图案
- bear false witness 做假见证
- bear little relation 没什么关系
- bear many meanings 含有多义
- bear mosquito bites 有蚊虫叮的斑点
- bear much relation 有很大关系
- bear news 传播消息
- bear no date 没有日期
- bear no relation 没有关系
- bear resemblance to 与…有相似之处
- bear some relation 有一些关系
- bear the charts 拿着图表
- bear the image 有像
- bear the marks 有痕迹〔标志〕
- bear the poster 拿着标语牌
- bear the scar 有伤疤
- bear the traces 带有痕迹
- bear the words 带有字
- bear wounds 有伤痕
- bear again 再生
- bear any long 不再忍受
- bear hard 沉重地压着
- bear hardest 影响最严重
- bear left 朝左
- bear right 朝右
- bear well 结果很好
- bear west 位于西方
- bear bravely 勇敢地忍受
- bear coldly 冷冷地忍耐
- bear directly 直接影响
- bear extremely 极端地忍耐
- bear heavily 困苦不堪,沉重地压着
- bear heroically 英雄般地忍受
- bear hurriedly 仓促地承担
- bear manfully 男人气概地忍耐
- bear nobly 举止高尚
- bear oppressively 残酷地忍受
- bear patiently 耐心地忍受
- bear personally 个人承担
- bear philosophically 冷静地忍受
- bear recklessly 轻率地忍受
- bear severely 严重影响
- bear stiffly 极度地忍耐
- bear stoically 安然地忍受
- bear untimely 过早地结果
- bear valiantly 勇敢地担负
- bear along 推着…向前
- bear away 驶离,赢得,夺走
- bear back 带回到
- bear down 送下来,压倒,压服
- bear off 赢得,夺走
- bear out 证实
- bear up 支持,拥护,撑持下去
- bear up one's spirit 情绪好起来
- bear against 否决
- bear hatred against 怀着对…的仇恨
- bear at 带着
- bear by 佩着,产生
- bear for 怀着
- bear from 由…生的
- bear in 生于
- bear of 出身
- bear on〔upon〕 佩戴着; 与…有关,涉及
- bear on an important case 同一个重要案子有关
- bear to 带有
- bear to the right 向右转
- bear with 宽容,容忍
- black bear 黑熊
- brown bear 棕熊
- polar bear 北极熊,白熊
- white bear 白熊
- grizzly bear 灰熊
- the Great B- 大熊座
- the Little B- 小熊座
- like a bear with a sore head 脾气坏,情绪恶劣
This great soldier..was no better than a Low Dutch bear.出自： Ld Macaulay
On his bak he bar..Anchises.出自： Chaucer
This pope Leo..bare but seauen and thirtie yeeres of age.出自： R. Holinshed
I bear a charmed life, which must not yield To one of woman born.出自：Macbeth , Shakespeare
Music was borne in from the next room.出自： E. Waugh
I met a child beside a river, Who asked if I would bear him over.出自： T. Blackburn
We all have our crosses to bear.出自： K. Laffan
Forgiveness, horse! Why do I rail on thee, Since thou..Wast born to bear?出自：Richard II , Shakespeare
- bear在作“忍受,容忍”解时,在肯定句中,表示某人虽然受痛苦与困难,但以勇敢方式忍受了其痛苦经历; 在否定句中,表示某人或某物过于令人烦恼,令人无法忍受,作此义解时bear可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词,常与can, could的否定式连用,其后常接动词不定式、动名词或that从句,也可接以动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。不用于被动结构。
- bear也可作“生育”解,但常被引申为“结果实,产出”等意思, bear在作“出生”解时,只用于被动结构。
- bear作“降生”解,常与介词in, to, into, with连用。
- abide，bear, endure, put up with, stand, suffer, tolerate
- 1.bear和stand主要指对饥寒、疼痛、不幸、损失、困难和侮辱等的忍受或承受; endure主要指对重大灾祸和困难的长时间地忍受; tolerate主要指容忍和自己的愿望相反的事; put up with指容忍某些不愉快的或有轻微伤害的事情；abide既指忍受自身的痛苦，也指容忍他人的行为。例如:
- He can stand more pain than anyone else.他比任何人更能忍受痛苦。
- You must be ready to endure hardships and even death.你必须准备忍受艰苦,甚至死亡。
- The teacher cannot tolerate eating in the class.老师不容许在课堂上吃东西。
- There're many inconveniences that have to be put up with when you're camping.在你露营时,有很多不便之处须忍受。
- You'll have to abide by the consequence.你将必须忍受其后果。
- I can't abide loud noise.我无法忍受大声吵闹。
- 2.bear多用于强调忍受的能力,不太强调其态度; endure则强调默默地、无怨言地忍受,但不屈服; stand强调自我约制、经受得起、不屈不挠; suffer侧重于表示无可奈何、无能为力的状态; tolerate强调宽恕和耐力；abide强调耐心和顺从。例如:
- She endures all her troubles bravely.她勇敢地忍受着种种不幸。
- She couldn't stand being kept waiting.她不能忍受别人让她等候。
- He suffered a great deal from cold and hunger.他备受饥寒交迫之苦。
- They happily tolerated the existence of opinions contrary to their own.他们以愉快的心情容许反对意见的存在。
- I had to abide by the consequence.我不得不忍耐这种结果。
- 3.suffer指不是出于自己的主观意志,而是被动、不随主观意志的动作; 而其余各词(组)则与之相反,表示出自己主观意志的动作。例如:
- He suffered the humiliation of being forced to resign.他蒙受了被迫辞职的羞辱。
- I cannot put up with your behaviour any longer.我再也不能忍受你的行为了。
- I won't tolerate your bad manners any longer.我再也不能忍受你的无礼。
- I can't stand his boasting.我受不了他的自吹自擂。
- I can't endure his suffering.我不忍看他受苦。
- I can't abide rude people.我不能容忍粗鲁之人。
- 4.abide，bear, stand和endure多用于否定句, put up with可用于否定句,也可用于肯定句。bear是个普通用语,而stand和put up with多用于口语中。put up with是非正式用法, endure比bear和stand更正式,语气较强。
- bear, produce, turn out, yield
- bear表示“产仔或结果实”,可引申指“再生产”; produce的用法更广,可指生产一切有形的或无形的东西; yield也表示生产,但强调结果与回报,而不是所做的努力; turn out强调结果,但同时还侧重先前付出的劳动与艰辛。例如:
- The soil bears good cotton.
- Gas can be produced from coal.
- His business yields big profits.
- This factory can turn out 100 cars a day.
- bear on〔upon〕, apply, belong to, pertain to, relate to
- bear on〔upon〕强调直接联系和前者的重要作用; relate to强调二者的紧密和一致,侧重相互的影响; pertain to侧重在实践中或思想方面,强调联系的必要性和关系的紧密; belong to强调前者和不可分割的部分, apply通常强调前者对后者的解释、描述。例如:
- This problem bears on the interests of the labour.
- The cost relates directly to the amount of time spent on the job.
- Any inquiries pertaining to the granting of planning permission should be ad- dressed to the Town Hall.
- 一切有关发放计划许可证的询问应该 向市政厅提出。
- What party do you belong to?
- This rule does not apply in your particular case.
- I cannot bear him.
- I cannot bear with him.
误 She bore a baby last night.
正 She had a baby last night.
析 说某一次、某一天生孩子通常不用bear,而说have a baby〔child〕或give birth to a baby〔child〕.在口语中尤用have a baby〔child〕。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的beran，意为生产，开发；最初源自原始印欧语的beranan，意为提，生产。
- put up with
- bull 公牛