exert a force with a heavy weight;
"The snow bore down on the roof"
contract the abdominal muscles during childbirth to ease delivery
to make a rush at or sudden attack upon, as in battle;
"he saw Jess charging at him with a pitchfork"
exert full strength;
"The pitcher bore down"
pay special attention to;
"The lectures bore down on the political background"
exert a force or cause a strain upon;
"This tax bears down on the lower middle class"
- At last we bore down on our fear.
- It is difficult to fight down a desire to sleep.
- The white racists tried to keep down the Indians by force.
- Mr Carter bowled down his opponent in the debate.
- He tried his best to bear down all of his oppositions.