- vt. 拿,抱,握住 have a thing in one's hands; have and keep fast in or with the hands or some other part of the body
- vt. 包含; 容纳 contain; have a capacity of
- vt. & vi. 举行,进行 have; cause to take place; make sth happen
- vt. & vi. 保持,持续 remain unchanged; last
- vt. 认为,相信 believe
- [U]握住,抓住 having sth in the hands
- [S]控制,掌握 power or control of sb/sth
- the act of grasping;
"he released his clasp on my arm"
"he has a strong grip for an old man"
"she kept a firm hold on the railing"
- understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or magnitude of something;
"he has a good grasp of accounting practices"
- power by which something or someone is affected or dominated;
"he has a hold over them"
- time during which some action is awaited;
"instant replay caused too long a delay"
"he ordered a hold in the action"
- a state of being confined (usually for a short time);
"his detention was politically motivated"
"the prisoner is on hold"
"he is in the custody of police"
- a stronghold
- a cell in a jail or prison
- the appendage to an object that is designed to be held in order to use or move it;
"he grabbed the hammer by the handle"
"it was an old briefcase but it still had a good grip"
- the space in a ship or aircraft for storing cargo
- keep in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g.,
"hold in place"
"She always held herself as a lady"
"The students keep me on my toes"
- have or hold in one's hands or grip;
"Hold this bowl for a moment, please"
"A crazy idea took hold of him"
- organize or be responsible for;
"hold a reception"
"have, throw, or make a party"
"give a course"
- have or possess, either in a concrete or an abstract sense;
"She has $1,000 in the bank"
"He has got two beautiful daughters"
"She holds a Master's degree from Harvard"
- keep in mind or convey as a conviction or view;
"take for granted"
"view as important"
"hold these truths to be self-evident"
"I hold him personally responsible"
- maintain (a theory, thoughts, or feelings);
"bear a grudge"
"entertain interesting notions"
"harbor a resentment"
- to close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement;
"This holds the local until the express passengers change trains"
"About a dozen animals were held inside the stockade"
"The illegal immigrants were held at a detention center"
"The terrorists held the journalists for ransom"
- secure and keep for possible future use or application;
"The landlord retained the security deposit"
"I reserve the right to disagree"
- have rightfully; of rights, titles, and offices;
"She bears the title of Duchess"
"He held the governorship for almost a decade"
- be the physical support of; carry the weight of;
"The beam holds up the roof"
"He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"
"What's holding that mirror?"
- contain or hold; have within;
"The jar carries wine"
"The canteen holds fresh water"
"This can contains water"
- have room for; hold without crowding;
"This hotel can accommodate 250 guests"
"The theater admits 300 people"
"The auditorium can't hold more than 500 people"
- remain in a certain state, position, or condition;
"The weather held"
"They held on the road and kept marching"
- support or hold in a certain manner;
"She holds her head high"
"He carried himself upright"
- be valid, applicable, or true;
"This theory still holds"
- assert or affirm;
"Rousseau's philosophy holds that people are inherently good"
- have as a major characteristic;
"The novel holds many surprises"
"The book holds in store much valuable advise"
- be capable of holding or containing;
"This box won't take all the items"
"The flask holds one gallon"
- arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance;
"reserve me a seat on a flight"
"The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family"
"please hold a table at Maxim's"
- protect against a challenge or attack;
"Hold that position behind the trees!"
"Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
- bind by an obligation; cause to be indebted;
"He's held by a contract"
"I'll hold you by your promise"
- hold the attention of;
"The soprano held the audience"
"This story held our interest"
"She can hold an audience spellbound"
- remain committed to;
"I hold to these ideas"
- resist or confront with resistance;
"The politician defied public opinion"
"The new material withstands even the greatest wear and tear"
"The bridge held"
- be pertinent or relevant or applicable;
"The same laws apply to you!"
"This theory holds for all irrational numbers"
"The same rules go for everyone"
- stop dealing with;
"hold all calls to the President's office while he is in a meeting"
- lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits;
"moderate your alcohol intake"
"hold your tongue"
"hold your temper"
"control your anger"
- keep from departing;
"Hold the taxi"
"Hold the horse"
- take and maintain control over, often by violent means;
"The dissatisfied students held the President's office for almost a week"
- cause to stop;
"Halt the engines"
"Arrest the progress"
"halt the presses"
- cover as for protection against noise or smell;
"She held her ears when the jackhammer started to operate"
"hold one's nose"
- drink alcohol without showing ill effects;
"He can hold his liquor"
"he had drunk more than he could carry"
- aim, point, or direct;
"Hold the fire extinguisher directly on the flames"
- declare to be;
"She was declared incompetent"
"judge held that the defendant was innocent"
- be in accord; be in agreement;
"We agreed on the terms of the settlement"
"I can't agree with you!"
"I hold with those who say life is sacred"
"Both philosophers concord on this point"
- keep from exhaling or expelling;
"hold your breath"
- I want you to stand beside me and hold the torch.
- He has been trying hard to hold his temper.
- The new football stadium can hold eighty thousand people.
- They hold different views on this matter.
- I fear that this fine weather won't hold much longer.
- Executive power is held by the president.
- We hold that all nations should be equal.
- We held a party to celebrate our success.
- His hold on her arm tightened.
- Their forces had consolidated their hold on the area.
- You have to get a good hold of this idea.
- When you are climbing, you need to find a good hold to prevent you from falling.
- There was an aeroplane hold again due to the heavy fog.
- He has a tremendous hold over his younger brother.
I hope the fine weather holds until they arrive home, at least.
Winter still holds.
How long will this fine weather hold?
Will the coal hold through the voyage?
Will the rope hold?
How long will the anchor hold?
These nails will not hold.
The rule doesn't hold in this case.
The contract still holds.
What he said still holds.
The weather holds fine.
The weather will hold warm.
I fear this fine weather won't hold long.
The sellers hold firm.
Prices hold comparatively firm.
This colour will hold fast.
The enemy attacked fiercely, but the line held firm.
The argument does not hold good.
The contract holds good for three years.
Does the principle still hold good?
This principle holds good only in this place.
This rule doesn't always hold good.
Your remarks do not hold good in this case.
It holds good for any place.
This rule holds true in every case.
Do you think these regulations still hold true?
This proposition holds true no matter how you apply it.
We will hold responsible for their safety.
They must hold fully responsible for all the consequences arising therefrom.
Do you think who are to hold responsible for this state of affairs?
Hold the baby a minute, please.
They held me so that I could not move.
She held me by the sleeve.
The girl was holding her father's hand.
We held each other's hand, not knowing what to say.
You should hold the rail, it is dangerous here.
The police held the thief.
She holds a pen, thinking.
The lifeguard held the drowning man's head above water.
He held the pipe between his teeth while he was typing.
She was holding her sides with laughter.
There is no holding him.
Hold the dogs so the strangers can pass.
She tried hard to hold her tears.
Hold your breath under water.
We held our breath in the dark, for fear of being discovered.
They'll hold your luggage at the station until you collect it.
He held that appointment for two years.
They shall hold office until the next regular election.
They don't hold the power to hire or fire at will.
The State Council holds the executive power.
He has held the political power for ten years.
He holds the rights to hunt on this land.
In our country people are encouraged to hold their views and express them in the open.
He holds some strange ideas.
His friends hold a high opinion of him.
My car holds four people comfortably.
This bus can hold about fifty people.
The stadium holds sixty thousand people.
The jar holds water.
Sea-water holds many salts in solution.
The higher the temperature, the warmer the air, and the more water vapor it can hold.
This nail won't hold such a heavy mirror.
We'll have to use large screws to hold that shelf in place.
Yesterday we held a meeting to discuss our plan.
That evening they held a feast in honour of some foreign guests.
The strikers held demonstrations to demand better working conditions.
A fever held him for a week.
There is no holding him when he is angry.
None of his arguments seems to me to hold water.
The theory may hold water.
He was held at the station house.
He was held in custody for two weeks.
A meeting will be held next week.
Chinese film weeks will also be held in other cities.
A great protest meeting in their support will be held tomorrow.
The banquet is being held in an atmosphere of friendship and cordiality.
He held that his ground was right.
We hold that no country should interfere in the internal affairs of other countries.
In ancient time, people held that the earth was flat.
The theory holds that the universe was endless.
People once held that the earth was flat.
I hold that he is an honest man.
I hold that they are wrong.
He holds that the plan is impracticable.
He holds that you are the right man.
The scientist held that the cannabis was dangerous.
Plato held that the soul is immoral.
We have always held that internal affairs of each country should be settled by its own people.
They hold it self-evident that all men are created equal.
Some students hold it necessary to be able to speak English.
He held it convenient to come at once.
They don't hold it a sin to steal.
His speech held them silent.
We held her the best of all the students in the class.
The court held him innocent.
Hold yourself upright when you walk.
We've held the job open for him for two weeks now.
I hold you responsible.
We hold him cheap because he does nothing all day.
She held herself upright and was grave in manner.
These are principles which I have held dear all my life.
The captives held their hands high.
The little boy held his head high.
Hold yourself still for a second while I take your photograph.
It is hard for a child to hold himself still while being photographed.
I couldn't hold the door closed.
Sophia held the telegram concealed in her hand and its information concealed in her heart.
They hold him to be a fool.
They held this way to be workable.
The president is held accountable.
The evidence was held by the court to be inadmissible.
She kept a firm hold of her little boy's hand as they crossed the road.
My hands quitted their hold.
He clapped hold of me by the arm.
He seized hold of my leg.
He wants to have a hold on you.
A habit has a hold on you.
It will retain its hold in the future.
The military had tightened its hold on the country.
How long can the government maintain its hold over the district?
The climber couldn't find a hold to climb any higher.
There are very few holds on the cliff face.
The cliff affords no holds for us to take.
The rock face afforded few holds to climbers.
Can you find a hold for your hands so that you can pull yourself up?
I'm going to put a hold on a library book.
He's got a good hold of his subjects.
This weakened his hold on his audience.
He's got a good hold of his subject.
Educational films have secured firm hold in the educational field.
- hold back (v.+adv.)
阻碍,阻止 restrain hold sb/sth ⇔ back
The police held back the crowd.警察挡住了人群。
If they had not held him back, he would have beaten you black and blue.如果不是他们挡住他,他已把你打得遍体鳞伤。
They tried to hold us back when we fought the enemy.我们和敌人战斗时,他们想制止我们。
He was so impatient that I could hardly hold him back.他是那样急躁,我简直拉不住他。
Now that the end's in sight, nothing can hold him back.终点已经在望,什么也阻止不了他继续前进。
No one can hold back the wheel of history.谁也无法阻挡历史车轮的前进。
They built dykes and dam to hold back the rising flood waters.他们修筑了堤坝来阻挡上涨的洪水。
Shortage of capital was a factor holding back economic development.缺乏资金是阻碍经济发展的一个因素。
控制; 抑制 control hold sth ⇔ back
Jim was able to hold back his anger and avoid a fight.吉姆总算抑制住了愤怒,从而避免了一场殴斗。
They are accustomed to holding back their emotions.他们习惯于抑制自己的感情。hold back from v-ing
Though very angry,I held back from telling him exactly what I thought.尽管我非常生气,仍克制自己未将我的感想告诉他。
隐瞒,保留 keep a secret; keep or delay hold sth ⇔ back
The laboratory has been advised to hold back any announcement of its findings.实验室已得到通知,不要宣布发现的成果。
They held back some important information.有一些重要情况他们没讲。
Do not hold back the truth.别隐瞒真相。
We were sure he was holding something back from us.我们肯定他有些情况没告诉我们。
犹豫不决 be slow or reluctant to do sth hold back
Mary is afraid of people; she always holds back when we take her to a party.玛丽怕见生人,我们带她参加聚会时她总是畏缩不前。
When danger appeared, every one of them held back.当危险到来的时候,他们每一个人都退缩了。
Buyers are holding back.买主们不愿出价。
Because of the uncertain state of the market, buyers are holding back.由于市场不稳定,买主都踌躇不前。
- 阻碍,阻止 restrain hold sb/sth ⇔ back
- hold down (v.+adv.)
压住,使固定 keep on the ground or in place
He took a dictionary to hold down the test papers for fear that they might be blown away by the wind. 他拿了本词典压住试卷,以防被风吹掉。
We must hold down the tents because of the strong wind. 风很大,我们必须把帐篷固定好。
When my father is in bad temper, no one can hold him down. 我父亲发脾气时,没人能让他安静下来。
Hold down that noise! Mother is sleeping. 声音小一点!妈妈在睡觉。
The government has done something to hold down food prices. 政府已经采取措施控制食品价格上涨。
We must try to hold prices down. 我们必须设法降低物价。
They were blamed for their failure to hold down expenditure. 他们因未能缩减开支而受到责备。
镇压,压制,使屈服 keep at a low level or make to give in
They tried every means to hold down the workers on strike. 他们采取一切手段镇压罢工工人。
How long can a small force of mercenaries hold down an entire people? 一小股雇佣军能把整个人民压制多久呢?
You won't be able to hold such a man down. 你是无法叫这样的人屈服的。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
The whole nation was held down by the cruel rule of the king. 整个国家处于国王的残酷统治的压制之下。
- 压住,使固定 keep on the ground or in place
- hold forth (v.+adv.)
长篇大论地讲; 侃侃而谈 speak at length hold forth
I've never seen anyone who could hold forth so long.我从没见过这么说话没完没了的人。
When we left the room he was still holding forth on his adventures.我们离开那房间时,他还在侃侃而谈他的历险记。
〈正〉给予; 提供 give or offer hold forth sth
Senator Smith held forth a suggestion.史密斯参议员提出了一项建议。
- 长篇大论地讲; 侃侃而谈 speak at length hold forth
- hold in1 (v.+adv.)
抑制,压抑 control (feelings, etc.); control oneself hold oneself/sth ⇔ in
He was so tempted to laugh that he could scarcely hold himself in.他太想笑了,几乎控制不住自己。
Jane was very much abused by the landlady, but she held in her temper.简被女房东狠狠地骂了一顿,但是她没有发脾气。
- 抑制,压抑 control (feelings, etc.); control oneself hold oneself/sth ⇔ in
- hold in2 (v.+prep.)
- 〔说明〕 hold in通常不用于进行体。 hold sb/sth in sth
拿着; 抱住; 夹住 keep or support with a part of the body, especially with the hands
He held a magazine in his hand. 他手里拿着一本杂志。
She held her baby in her arms. 她抱着她的小孩。
She held the pen in her teeth. 她把钢笔咬在嘴里。
托住; 支持住 keep in the stated position or condition
She was holding her face in her hands. 她用双手托住脸。
以…对待 treat sb by sth
They all held him in ridicule. 他们都讥笑他。
They all held him in great esteem. 他们都很敬重他。
They held the imperialism in contempt. 他们鄙视帝国主义。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
He is held in regard. 人们不怎么尊敬他。
He was a bishop who was held in reverence by all. 他是一位被大家都尊敬的主教。
A man who is cruel to his children should be held in contempt. 虐待自己孩子的人应受鄙视。
The Prime Minister is held in the greatest respect. 首相备受拥戴。
- hold off (v.+adv.)
拖延,被拖延 fail to arrive; delay hold off
The rain held off and they went out.雨没有下起来,他们外出了。
He held off for half an hour because of the rain.因为下雨,他晚了半个小时才动身。
If the rain holds off for a few days more, they can finish the planting.如果这场雨还能晚几天再下,他们的种植任务就可以完成了。
The storm has held off so far. Let's hope it will move away.现在风暴已延缓了,但愿它能过去。hold sth ⇔ off
Their attorney has promised to hold off legal action for another week.他们的律师已答应把诉讼再延迟一个星期。
They're holding off their decision because of changing conditions.由于情况变化,他们迟迟不作决定。
抵抗; 抗拒 resist hold sb/sth ⇔ off
A squad of our troops held off six attacks of a numerically superior enemy.我们部队的一个班打退了在人数上占优势的敌人的六次进攻。
We used five columns to hold off enemy reinforcements.我们使用了五个纵队来阻止敌人的增援部队。
使…疏远,使不接近 fail to arrive; cause to keep at a suitable distance hold sb/sth ⇔ off
Hold your cat off.把你的猫赶走。
Finally he came to realize it was his haughtiness that held people off.他终于意识到是他的傲慢态度使人不敢同他接近。
- 拖延,被拖延 fail to arrive; delay hold off
- hold on (v.+adv.)
等一等,停一停 wait or stop hold on
Hold on! I'd like some of that apple-pie too, you know!等会儿!你要知道我也想吃一些苹果派。
Hold on for a minute,I've just got to put on my makeup.等一会儿,我得化装一下。
抓紧不放 maintain a grip or footing hold on
Hold on,Zhang Long!抓紧,张龙!
〈口〉别挂电话 wait (often on the telephone) hold on
She told the speaker to hold on while she was going to call the man he wanted to speak to.她告诉说话的人不要挂电话,她就要去叫通话的人。
The operator asked the caller to hold on until a connection was made.接线员请打电话者不要挂断,等候电话接通。
坚持 persist hold on
I'll stay in Mexico as long as my money holds on.只要我的钱还能维持一天,我就在墨西哥呆一天。
They were holding on, waiting for the reinforcement.他们仍然坚守,等待援军的到来。
It was rather hard to fulfil the task, but they held on and overfulfilled it.虽说完成任务是困难的,但是他们坚持干下去,结果超额完成了任务。hold sth ⇔ on
He was determined to hold on this job whatever difficulties he might run into.他下定决心,不管碰到什么困难,都要坚持做这工作。
I'm pleased to know that you still hold on a correspondence with her.听说你和她仍保持着通信联系,我很高兴。
- 等一等,停一停 wait or stop hold on
- hold onto (v.+prep.)
紧紧抓住,不卖出 grip tightly hold onto sth
My child holds onto my hand tightly while we cross the street.横穿马路时,孩子紧拉着我的手不放。
It was so windy that I had to hold onto my hat all the way along the street.风很大,走在街上我只好一路抓住帽子。
How long can the climber hold onto the cliff?这个登山者能抓住悬崖多久?
Don't panic, just hold onto that rock and I'll come to fetch you down.别怕,你只要抓住那岩石,我就接你下来。
The old man held onto his job stubbornly and would not retire.那老人倔强地不肯脱离工作岗位,不愿意退休。
You should hold onto your company and it will get better.别卖掉你的公司,它会好起来的。
You should hold onto your oil shares.你应当握紧你手中的石油股票,不要卖出。
- 紧紧抓住,不卖出 grip tightly hold onto sth
- hold out (v.+adv.)
伸出,张开 extend; stretch (sth such as a hand) forward hold sth ⇔ out
Hold your arms out.伸出手臂。
Seeing her son again after two years' absence,Mother held out her arms to embrace him.离家两年再次见到儿子时,母亲张开双臂拥抱他。
They held out the hand of friendship to me.他们向我伸出了友谊之手。
拿出,提出,提供 offer sth hold sth ⇔ out
She held out her new skirt for us to see.她把新裙子拿出来给我们看。
In his speech he held out a special example.他在讲话中举了一个很特别的例子。
Radio astronomy investigations seem to hold out the best hopes of obtaining such proof.射电天文学的调查研究似乎提供了获得此种证据的最大希望。
顶住,坚持 continue to resist hold out
We must hold out till victory.我们必须坚持到胜利。
In spite of the earthquake damage, the residents are holding out in their determination to remain in their village.尽管地震造成了破坏,居民们还是决心不离开村子。hold out against sth
Our troops cannot hold out much longer against the superior force of the enemy.面对敌人的优势我们的部队不可能坚持很久。hold out for sth
The strikers held out for a raise of five cents an hour.罢工的人坚持要求每小时增加5分钱。
I hope this good weather will hold out for another week.我希望这好天气能再持续一个星期。
呈现 appear hold out sth
This state of things holds out a cheerful prospect.事态呈现出可喜的前景。
隐瞒,保密 keep a secret from sb hold out on sb/sth
I don't know why he's been holding out on me.我不知道他为何一直瞒着我。
Why didn't you tell me at once, instead of holding out on me?你为什么不立即告诉我,而瞒着我呢?
The police suspected him of holding out on information important to the case.警方怀疑他隐瞒了有关这件案子的重要情况。
- 伸出,张开 extend; stretch (sth such as a hand) forward hold sth ⇔ out
- hold over (v.+adv.)
推迟,延续 move to a later date hold over
The meeting holds over until next week.会议延期至下星期召开。
The matter held over until the next meeting.这件事推迟到下次会上再讨论。hold sth ⇔ over
The judge said he would hold over the case till the next sitting of the court.法官说他将把这一案件推迟到下次开庭再审理。
As for the hero's fate,I will hold it over for my next book.关于主人公的命运问题,我将留到下一本书中再谈。用于 be ～ed 结构
The matter was held over until the next meeting.此事被延至下次会议解决。
保留,留用 continue using hold sth ⇔ over
Would you please hold over the rest of the goods?请将其余货物保存起来好吗?
继续上映 continue (a show) longer than originally planned hold sth ⇔ over
They are going to hold that movie over for a week again, it's very successful.他们打算把那部片子再继续上映一周,上座率非常好。
- 推迟,延续 move to a later date hold over
- hold to (v.+prep.)
紧握 adhere; clasp
Hold firmly to the rail. 紧紧抓住栏杆。
Hold to my hand while we cross the street. 我们过马路时,你要抓住我的手。
坚持 persist in holding an opinion, principle, belief, etc.
The ship held to its course in spite of the storm. 尽管遇上了暴风雨,轮船还是没有改变航向。
If we believe something is true and good, we should hold to it. 如果我们认为一件事是正确的而且有好处,就应该坚持下去。
I've tried to tell him he's wrong, but he still holds to his original opinion. 我试图让他知道自己错了,但他仍坚信原来的想法。
After considering various alternatives we decided to hold to our first plan. 考虑了几种不同的可以采用的方案之后,我们决定仍用最初的计划。
I hold to what I have always said. 我仍然坚持我一贯的说法。
- 紧握 adhere; clasp
- hold together (v.+adv.)
把…结合在一起; 团结一致 remain firm or united, or be complete or consistent hold together
I've tied up the parcel with string, but I'm afraid it won't hold together.我已把那个包用绳捆上了,只是怕捆不牢。
You can't be defeated as long as you hold together.只要你们团结起来,就不会被打败。hold sth together
The country needs a leader who will hold the nation together.这个国家需要有一个能把全民族团结起来的领袖。
- 把…结合在一起; 团结一致 remain firm or united, or be complete or consistent hold together
- hold up (v.+adv.)
举起,抬起,拿起 raise or lift hold sth ⇔ up
Hold up your right hand.请举起右手。
She was holding up an umbrella when I saw her in the street.我在街上看到她时,她手里撑着把伞。
He held up the map so it could be seen more clearly.他举起地图,这样可以看得更清楚些。
They held their heads up.他们昂着头。
支持,支撑,承受住 support hold up
Don't worry. The house will hold up.别担心,房子不会倒下来。hold sth ⇔ up
I thought that no one else could hold up such pain.我认为任何别的人都忍受不住这样的疼痛。
拦住,使停顿,耽搁 obstruct or stop the progress of sb/sth hold sb/sth ⇔ up
Won't this hold up the field work?这会不会耽误农活?
Please step aside, my children! You are holding me up.孩子们,请站开点儿。你们挡住我了。
Two policemen held up a truck so as to inspect the driver's license.两个警察让一辆卡车停住以便检查司机的驾驶证。用于 be ～ed 结构
Traffic on the bridge was held up for several hours because of the accident.由于出了交通事故,桥上的交通受阻了好几个小时。
拦劫,抢劫 stop in order to rob hold sb/sth ⇔ up
The thief pointed a gun at Wendy and held her up.那个强盗拿枪逼着温蒂,抢走了她的东西。
Masked men held up a wages van in South London.蒙面人在伦敦南部抢劫了一辆运钞车。用于 be ～ed 结构
That bank has been held up three times.那家银行已遭劫三次。
举出,提出 show as an example hold sb/sth ⇔ up
Don't hold me up as a model.不要拿我当典型。
(天)继续晴下去,放晴 (the weather) continue to be fine hold up
I hope that the fine weather will hold up for some more days.我希望晴天再持续几天。
The weather held up and the match was played on time.天气很好,比赛按时进行。
(情况)良好 (situation) be true hold up
Everyone was doubtful at first, but his statement in detail held up.起初大家都怀疑,但他的详细叙述证明情况属实。
- 举起,抬起,拿起 raise or lift hold sth ⇔ up
- hold with (v.+prep.)
同意 approve of; agree with hold with sth
Why did you go with them if you don't hold with their plan?如果你不同意他们的计划,你为什么和他们一起去呢?
I don't hold with these modern ideas.我不赞成这些新观念。
I don't hold with the idea of postponing further discussion of the matter.我不赞成推迟进一步讨论这件事的想法。hold sth with sb
I hold with you that young people should dare to think, speak and act.我同意你的看法,青年人是应该敢想、敢说、敢干。
容忍 put up with hold with sb
I can't hold with him, he's insupportable.我不能容忍他,他简直使人受不了。
- 同意 approve of; agree with hold with sth
- catch hold of
抓住,握住 keep sth fast with the hands
You must catch hold of this rope. 你必须抓住这根绳子。
I caught hold of him by the neck. 我抓住他的脖子。
- 抓住,握住 keep sth fast with the hands
- get hold of
找到某物以供使用 find and use sth
How soon can you get hold of that young man? 你怎么才能很快找到那年轻人呢?
Wherever did you get hold of that idea? 你那想法究竟是从哪里来的?
He was ready to defend himself with any weapon he could get hold of. 他随时准备用他所能找到的武器进行自卫。
I must get hold of some more writing paper. 我必须再找到一些稿纸。
找到某人 find sb
We should get hold of this young lady. 我们必须找到这个年轻女子。
I've been trying to get hold of her for days but she's never at home. 我找了她好几天,她始终不在家。
- 找到某物以供使用 find and use sth
- have a hold over〔on, upon〕
对…有影响 know sth which gives one an influence over sb/sth
Her brother has always had a strong hold over her. 她兄弟一直对她有巨大的影响力。
- 对…有影响 know sth which gives one an influence over sb/sth
- keep hold of
握紧 take a very tight forceful hold
The soldiers keep a tight hold of the rifle. 战士们紧握手中枪。
Keep tight hold of this so as not to drop it. 抓紧点,免得把它掉了。
I can't keep hold of it, it's too slippery. 我不能握住它,它太滑了。
- 握紧 take a very tight forceful hold
- lay hold of
抓住,持有,了解 grasp, seize firmly with the hand; get possession of; understand in the mind
He laid hold of the rope and pulled the boat ashore. 他抓住绳子拉船靠岸。
He sold every washing machine he could lay hold of. 他卖掉了他所有的洗衣机。
Some ideas in this science book are hard to lay hold of. 这本科技书里的一些概念很难理解。
- 抓住,持有,了解 grasp, seize firmly with the hand; get possession of; understand in the mind
- take hold of〔on〕
握住,控制住,吸引,对…有影响力 seize firmly; control; attract; have an influence on
Take hold of the stick. 握住这根手杖。
The music took hold of her slowly. 这音乐慢慢吸引了她。
Their writings took powerful hold of academic circles. 他们的著作在学术界有巨大的影响力。
I should not allow such a thought to take hold on me. 我不能让这种思想影响我。
- 握住,控制住,吸引,对…有影响力 seize firmly; control; attract; have an influence on
- hold a baby in one's arms 怀抱孩子
- hold a banquet 举行宴会
- hold a belief 相信
- hold a book in one's hands 手中拿着一本书
- hold a box together 把箱子钉牢
- hold a celebration 举行庆祝会
- hold a ceremony 举行仪式
- hold a chair 抓住椅子
- hold a cigarette between the lips 叼着一根香烟
- hold a consultation 磋商,协商
- hold a conviction 坚信
- hold a council of war 开军事会议
- hold a court 开庭
- hold a dance 举行舞会
- hold a debate 举行辩论
- hold a demonstration 举行示威游行
- hold a discussion 展开讨论
- hold a general election 举行大选
- hold a hammer in the hand 手拿锤子
- hold a high opinion 对某人有好感
- hold a meeting 举行会议
- hold a military base 拥有军事基地
- hold a military manoeuvre 举行军事演习
- hold a military parade 举行阅兵
- hold a parcel 提着包
- hold a pen 拿着钢笔
- hold a pipe between the teeth 嘴里衔着烟斗
- hold a platform by pillars 用柱子支撑平台
- hold a rally 举行群众集会
- hold a referendum 举行公民投票
- hold a rein 握住缰绳
- hold a strange view 有奇妙的见解
- hold a test tube 握住试管
- hold a wedding ceremony 举行婚礼仪式
- hold all one's clothes 装下所有的衣服
- hold an argument on some question 就某问题进行辩论
- hold an examination 举行考试
- hold an exhibition 举办展览
- hold an important office 担任一重要职务
- hold an opinion of one's own 坚持自己的意见
- hold attention 吸引某人的注意力
- hold captive 拘捕
- hold copy 读原稿,作校对助手
- hold counsel 进行商量,听取意见
- hold court 主持法庭会议,举止高贵
- hold each other's hands 互相握手
- hold electric torch 拿着电筒
- hold everything 停止,等一下
- hold fire 忍着不表态
- hold games 举办运动会
- hold ground 坚守阵地,一步不退
- hold intercourse with a person 与人交往
- hold land 拥有土地
- hold many people 容纳很多人
- hold milk 装有牛奶
- hold much property 拥有许多资产
- hold one's emotions 控制某人的感情
- hold one's hand(s) 握住某人的手,谨慎,留余地
- hold one's hands at one's side 两手扶腰
- hold one's head high 趾高气扬,骄傲
- hold one's nose 用手掩鼻,保持沉默
- hold one's peace 保持沉默,不开口
- hold one's seat 保留座位
- hold one's temper 忍住怒气
- hold one's tongue 保持沉默
- hold position 担任职务
- hold power 掌权
- hold right 保持权力
- hold salt 装盐,含有盐
- hold sb's attention 吸引某人注意
- hold sb's talk 制止某人讲话
- hold shares 拥有股份
- hold silence 保持安静
- hold the attention of the audience 吸引住听众
- hold the bag 受害
- hold the bridge 支撑着这座桥
- hold the cards in one's hands 稳操胜券,握有成功的手段
- hold the child by the hand 手领着孩子
- hold the city 占领该城
- hold the first position 占第一位
- hold the flowers 拿着花
- hold the fort 固守堡垒,毫不示弱
- hold the job 拥有这份工作
- hold the line 别挂断电话
- hold the office of chairman 担任主席职务
- hold the place of adviser 担任顾问的职务
- hold the price increase to a minimum 把价格的上涨控制在最低限度
- hold the rein 掌权,执政,支配
- hold the sheep by the horns 抓住羊角
- hold the stage 继续活跃在舞台上
- hold the title of model worker 享有劳动模范的称号
- hold the weight of sb/sth 支撑某人或某物的重量
- hold water 不漏水,论点站得住脚
- hold aloof 不接近,不参与
- hold fast 紧紧抓住
- hold automatically 自动控制
- hold cheaply 虚伪地认为
- hold concurrently 兼任某职
- hold conscientiously 真心实意地认为
- hold deferentially 谦逊地认为
- hold desperately 拼命地抓住
- hold dexterously 敏捷,灵巧地抓住
- hold diplomatically 举行外交仪式
- hold disdainfully 认为不屑一顾
- hold firmly 紧紧抓住
- hold gingerly 兢兢业业地供职
- hold hungrily 渴望持有
- hold inviolably 不可侵犯地拥有
- hold jealously 戒备地控制住,妒忌地认为
- hold obstinately 顽强地控制
- hold permanently 持久拥有
- hold personally 个人以为
- hold proudly 自豪地认为
- hold securely 安全可靠地固定住
- hold staunchly 坚定地相信
- hold stoutly 断然地制止,坚决地继续进行
- hold strictly 严格遵守
- hold strongly 强烈地认为
- hold stubbornly 顽固地认为
- hold tenderly 温和地托着,慎重地决定
- hold tentatively 暂时地控制住
- hold tremulously 颤抖地握着
- hold universally 普遍认为
- hold back 犹豫,阻止,积攒,储蓄,隐瞒,忍住
- hold back some important information 隐瞒一些重要消息
- hold back ten dollars 扣下10美元钱
- hold back the wheel of history 阻止历史车轮前进
- hold forth 提供,提出
- hold forth hopes of recovery 有复原的希望
- hold forth the possibility 提供…的可能性
- hold down 使降低,使保持低水平,使不提高,控制或压制(某人),保持(职位等)
- hold down a good job 保有一个很好的职位
- hold down food prices 不让食品涨价
- hold down one's eyes 垂下目光
- hold down one's head in shame 羞愧地低下头
- hold down people 镇压人民
- hold down student intake 减少招生人数
- hold down the city's population 减少城市人口
- hold down the enemy's reinforcements 牵制敌人的援军
- hold off (使)保持一段距离,(使)推迟
- hold off the invaders 抵挡入侵者
- hold on 继续抓住某物,系住,固定住,继续,持续,等候
- hold on a correspondence 与…保持联系
- hold on one's way 不顾干扰地继续前进
- hold out 伸(手),伸手(拿或放),坚持要求,坚持到底,隐瞒,拖延答复
- hold out a bad example 举出一个坏的例子
- hold out a promise 作出许诺
- hold out against 经受得住,顶住
- hold out one's hand 伸出手来
- hold out the worker's pay 扣发工人的工资
- hold out till victory 坚持到胜利
- hold out unlimited prospects 前途无量
- hold power over 有支配…的权力
- hold together 使团结在一起
- hold up 举起,展示,托住,支持住,使停滞,耽搁,拦路抢劫,列举出(榜样),授人以(笑柄),(理论等)经得住(检验)
- hold up a large blue banner 举着一面蓝色大旗
- hold up one's hand 举起某人的手,投降
- hold up one's head 抬起头,打起精神
- hold up the bank 抢劫银行
- hold up the roof 支撑屋顶
- hold up the work 停工
- hold back from doing sth 阻止某人做某事
- hold off from answering 迟迟不作回答
- hold off from people 和别人保持一段距离
- hold off from smoking 戒烟
- hold against the enemy 反抗敌人
- hold demonstration against sb 举行游行示威反对某人
- hold strike against 举行罢工反对
- hold as 扣押作…
- hold at arm's length 冷漠对人
- hold by 坚持,忠于
- hold by one's principles 遵循自己的原则
- hold in 约束,克制
- hold in abhorrence 厌恶,痛恨
- hold in balance 使不稳定,悬而未决
- hold in derision 嘲笑某人
- hold in esteem 尊重,尊敬
- hold in estimation 尊重某人
- hold in honour 尊重,尊敬
- hold in memory 记住
- hold in one's temper 克制自己的脾气
- hold in place 使…保持固定位置
- hold in play 使劳动,使有事做
- hold in pledge 抵押
- hold in position 使…位置固定
- hold in regard 尊重,尊敬
- hold in respect 尊重,尊敬
- hold in trust 保管
- hold onto 紧紧抓住,抓牢,坚持,不改变,忠于
- hold onto one's plan 不放弃自己的计划
- hold out against the enemy 抵抗敌人
- hold over 以…要挟,威胁
- hold it over sb 以此要挟某人
- hold to 坚持,信守
- hold to a promise 遵守诺言
- hold to derision 嘲笑某人
- hold to ransom 绑某人的票
- hold a candle to the devil 助纣为虐,为虎作伥
- hold under control 控制
- hold with 赞成,同意,和…持同一意见
- hold with excessive drinking 赞成酗酒
- hold one's sides with laughter 捧腹大笑
- afford a hold 提供可抓住之物,提供支撑点
- announce a hold 宣布延迟
- bar a hold 阻止掌握,不让控制
- break hold 突破控制,打开局面
- catch hold 抓住,握住
- clap hold 一把抓住
- claw hold 抓住
- correct hold 调整控制
- divert hold 转移影响力,转移吸引力
- emerge from hold 摆脱控制
- escape hold 避免受控制
- evade hold 逃避控制
- find hold 找到支撑点
- force hold 强迫控制,把影响强加于
- keep hold of 紧握
- knit a hold 严密控制
- loose a hold 放松手,放弃
- maintain a hold 加以控制,抓牢
- mend a hold 改善控制
- obtain a hold 获得理解
- retain one's hold 保持其控制
- secure firm hold 获得稳固的控制
- seize a hold 抓住,掌握
- strengthen one's hold upon hold 加强对…的控制
- take hold 生根
- take a firm hold of sth 把某物紧抓在手
- tighten one's hold over hold 加紧对…的控制
- weaken one's hold on 削弱对…的控制
- careless hold 漫不经心的握着
- considerable hold 有相当大的影响力
- convulsive hold 双手痉挛性的抓住
- fast hold 牢牢抓住
- fragile hold 易碎的容器
- good hold 很好的掌握
- great hold 很大的支配力
- legitimate hold 合法的拥有权
- passionate hold 易被感情支配
- powerful hold 巨大的影响力
- spiritual hold 精神的威力
- strong hold 强大的影响力
- tenacious hold 紧紧抓住不放
- vertical hold 帧频微调
The hold was generally firm when the fissures were not filled with ice.出自：L. Stephen
Leslie Stephen's hold on his..daughter's imagination was the result..of the education he gave her.出自：L. Gordon
My father..tried to break the Conservative hold on the Royal Borough.出自：A. McCowen
The ship was simultaneously unloading cargo from three holds.出自：T. Heggen
Oyia held her in a vice-like grip.出自：E. Amadi
She held his hand.出自：R. Ingalls
- take hold of指“抓住”，比take hold(up)on常用；
We hold him innocent.We hold him to be innocent.We hold that he is innocent.
hold sb by sth指“抓住某人的什么东西”。
She held me by hand.
hold on to指“紧紧抓住”。
Hold on to my arm.
- hold的基本意思是“保持某一位置或状态”,指因个人心愿或被迫滞留或耽误不放。引申可指“托住,支持”“掌握权力,担任职务”“容纳,包含有”“正式举行〔办〕”“拥有财产,占据,守住”“持…见解,怀有激情”“认为,相信”“抑制,保留”“遵守诺言”等 。
- hold作“认为,相信; 保持,使…处于某种状态”解时,还可接以“(to be)as+ n./adj. ”充当补足语的复合宾语,当hold的复合宾语中的宾语是动词不定式或that从句时,常采用形式宾语结构,而将真实宾语置于宾语补足语之后。
- hold指动作时,可用于被动结构; 指处于某种状态时,只能用于主动结构。
- hold water意思是“站得住脚,经得起考验”,通常用在否定句或疑问句中,偶尔可出现在肯定句中。
- hold, have, have got, occupy, own
这组词(组)的共同意思是“有”“拥有”“具有”。其区别是：1.have既可指有生命物及无生命物之间的所属关系,也可指部分与整体的关系,或指精神上、身体上的特点; have got与have意义相同,但在口语中比have用得广泛; own则指具有在法律上的所有权,即使不在身边的东西,只要拥有法律上的所有权,就应用own; hold语气较强,有占据、控制、抓住〔保持〕住某物的意思; 而occupy则指占有空间、时间或占领、占据某地,或拥有某种职务或地位等。例如:I didn't have the books that she asked for.我没有她所要的书。Your books have got all over the place.你的书到处都是。They don't hold the power to hire or fire at will.他们没有雇用或随意解雇的权力。Enemy troops occupied the country.敌军占领了这个国家。2.have是普通用语,在这几个词中概念最广,运用最广泛。own的主语只能是人。例如:These enterprises are owned by him.这些企业是属于他的。
- hold, contain
这两个词都有“容纳”的意思。其区别在于:contain指实际所包含的部分,而hold强调能包含的能力。例如:The bookcase contains fifty volumes but holds a hundred.这书柜装有50册书,但它能装下100册。A bookshelf held 100 books perhaps only contains 50 ones.一个可容纳100本书的书架可能只装50本书。
- hold, keep
- hold, open
这两个词的词义相近,但并不相同。hold指“举行”会议、会谈、比赛等; 而open则指为大楼等举行揭幕典礼或宣布会议、运动会等开幕。例如:They decided to hold a meeting next Tuesday.他们决定下星期二举行一次会议。The exhibition will open the day after tomorrow.展览会将在后天开幕。
- hold, catch, grasp, grip
这组词的共同意思是“掌握”。其区别是：hold含义最广,指抓牢或掌握具体或抽象的事物; grip指全力紧抓事物; grasp常指对抽象理论、原理的领悟或理解; catch指拼命抓牢不放,唯恐其滑掉或丢失,比其他三个词更强调控制。例如:Hold the reins tight.把缰绳抓紧。I threw the ball, and the dog caught it in his mouth.我把球抛出,狗用嘴接住了球。I think I grasped the main points of the speech.我想我已经领会了演说的要点。She gripped my hand in fear.她因害怕而紧握住我的手。
- hold up, uphold
这两个词(组)的共同意思是“支持”“承受”,指支撑重量时两者可换用。例如:Stout columns uphold〔hold〕 up the roof.牢固的柱子支撑着屋顶。The building's heavy roof was upheld〔held〕 up by four columns.建筑物沉重的屋顶靠四根柱子支撑着。其区别是：1.uphold常用作引申义,指人对某事的支持、对制度的维护等; hold up几乎不用于比喻义。例如:They upheld our opinions.他们支持我们的意见。The Supreme Court is expected to uphold the death sentence.预计最高法院将维持死刑的原判。2.hold up可作“举起 ”解, uphold无此义。例如:He held up the map so it could be seen more clearly.他举起地图,这样可以看得更清楚些。
- hold still, keep still
这两个短语中hold和keep都用作系动词, still是形容词作表语,在作“坚持不动”解时,两者可互换,只是hold still是美式英语; 而keep still是英式英语。另外, keep still还有“保持沉默”的意思,而hold still则无此义。
- contain include embrace involve comprehend hold comprise
误 He had hold over his younger brother.
正 He had a hold over his younger brother.
析 have a hold over〔upon〕中的冠词a不能省略。
错句：was the match held in shanghai?
纠正：was the match played in shanghai?
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的haladn；最初源自原始日耳曼语的khaladnan。
- hold:hold n. 把握, 把持力, 柄, 控制, 监禁, 掌握, 货舱vt. 拿着, 保存, 支持, 占据, 持有, 拥有vi. 支持, 保持, 有效n. 控制, 保留 英英解释:名词hold:1. t…