- vt. 允许；让某人得到；留出；同意（法律）
- vi. (for)考虑到；允许
- <书>承认 ，认可
- vt. 允许,许可(做某事) let (sb) do sth, let (sth)be done; permit
- vt. 给予,让…得到(尤指金钱和时间) give or let sb/sth have; provide (especially money or time)
- vt. & vi. 承认,认为 permit as possible; admit
- vi. 想到,考虑到 take into consideration
make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen;
"This permits the water to rush in"
"This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"
"This will permit the rain to run off"
consent to, give permission;
"She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"
"I won't let the police search her basement"
"I cannot allow you to see your exam"
"Mandela was allowed few visitors in prison"
give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause;
"I will earmark this money for your research"
"She sets aside time for meditation every day"
make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain;
"This leaves no room for improvement"
"The evidence allows only one conclusion"
"allow for mistakes"
"leave lots of time for the trip"
"This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
allow or plan for a certain possibility; concede the truth or validity of something;
"I allow for this possibility"
"The seamstress planned for 5% shrinkage after the first wash"
"This problem admits of no solution"
"This short story allows of several different interpretations"
allow the other (baseball) team to score;
"give up a run"
grant as a discount or in exchange;
"The camera store owner allowed me $50 on my old camera"
allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting;
"We don't allow dogs here"
"Children are not permitted beyond this point"
"We cannot tolerate smoking in the hospital"
- You are not allowed to smoke here.
- How much holiday are you allowed?
- I should allow an hour to get to London.
- The judge assented to allow the prisoner to speak.
- If you'll allow me,I will send you back.
- It will take you half an hour to get to the station, allowing for traffic delays.
- The patient was allowed up (ie permitted to get out of bed) after 10 days.
- Why do you allow yourself?
- I don't think he would allow it.
- I long to visit you, but my health won't allow it.
- We allowed no discount.
- The facts allow no other explanation.
- The law does not allow such an action.
- We will never allow such a recurrence of that historical tragedy.
- Some youth today do not allow any criticism at all.
- We cannot stand by and allow such things.
- The judge allowed the claim of the man whose property was damaged.
- No, that isn't allowed.
- No smoking is allowed here.
- This is a military area; pedestrians are not allowed.
- Only a few journalists were allowed inside.
- Our teacher does not allow cheating to go unpunished.
- Do they allow smoking in the cinemas?
- The policeman wouldn't allow parking in this street.
- We must allow that he is a very clever politician.
- I allowed that I was a bit hasty.
- He allowed that it had been a mistake.
- I must allow that he is a promising young man.
- I allow that things are not so easy.
- It is allowed that pronunciation is one of the principal things in English.
- How much money do you allow your son each month?
- He allowed his children fifteen pence a week.
- His father allowed him two dollars a week as spending money.
- The boss only allowed David a monthly subsidy.
- They allowed each member of the brigade one cotton-padded suit.
- My father allows himself only three cigarettes a day.
- I allow myself a fair margin of profit.
- They did not allow the serfs any freedom.
- Some parents often allow children too much freedom.
- Each passenger is allowed 30 pounds of luggage free of charge.
- He allowed five yuan a week to his son.
- Jane's aunt allowed 3 pounds to her every week.
- The use of the staircase is allowed only to members of the staff.
- We must allow him to be a good interpreter.
- We must allow him to be versatile genius.
- We must allow him to be an honest man.
- I shall not allow you to be a fair judge in this case.
- You must allow yourself to be wrong.
- Mr. Morris allowed this to be extremely fair.
- We don't allow ourselves to be cheated.
- He did not allow himself to be too upset by the news.
- Please allow me to carry your bag.
- Allow me to say a few words.
- Allow me to congratulate you on your success.
- Allow me to introduce you to our headmaster.
- They allowed her to go to the party.
- The doctor allowed him to take a short walk everyday.
- I cannot allow you to stay here.
- I can't allow you to talk to Mother like that.
- His parents won't allow him to smoke.
- His wife did not allow him to touch any drink or tobacco.
- They didn't allow the workers to organize.
- We could not allow the workers at the plant to go on being hungry day after day.
- He didn't allow himself to show his satisfaction, of course, let alone to speak of it.
- Don't allow yourselves to indulge in false hopes.
- The extra money will allow us to buy a car.
- Your gift allows me to buy a car.
- Some substances allow electricity to flow through them freely.
- The stove has a hole to allow the smoke to escape.
- Roads and railways allowed the world market to extend.
- You're not allowed to use calculators in examinations.
- May I be allowed to use this typewriter?
- They shouldn't be allowed to act like this.
- The child wasn't allowed to go out without wearing his coat.
- No one was allowed to talk with him.
- Children are not allowed to play on the lawn.
- allow for (v.+prep.)
允许有,留出,给予 provide sth for sth else; give sth for a certain purpose, often by law
allow for sb/sth/v-ing
We must allow for the train being late.
We should allow for unexpected difficulty.
In working with this cloth, be sure to allow for shrinkage.
Many of the low worn-out buildings are being demolished to allow for street wid- ening .
This is for winter wear, so will you allow for woolies underneath.
We must allow for losing our way in the dark.
She allowed for my poor eyesight.
You must allow for his youth.
Allowing for the bad weather, we should set off right now.
Allowing for delays, he should reach London next week.
It will take an hour to reach the airport, allowing for traffic delay.
Has everything been allowed for in your plan?
你的计划是否把各种情况都考虑进去了?allow sth for sth/v-ing
This plant allows half an hour for lunch.
Buy the children's shoes big enough to allow room for growth.
The court allowed a sum of money for clothing.
How much time did they allow us for making the preparations?
We must allow three days for travelling from London to Hong Kong.
Allowing for exceptions, the rule may stand.
Between classes, ten minutes are allowed for play and rest.
Five dollars are allowed each month for pocket money.
Ample time must be allowed for the investigation.
Only thirty kilos are allowed for personal luggage.
每人只准许携带30公斤行李。allow sb sth for sb/sth/v-ing
My mother allows me ten yuan a month for my pocket money.
How much money does your father allow you for books?
The teacher allowed us one hour for written work.
How much time did they allow us for making the preparations?
Only half-hour intervals were allowed them for meals.
- allow in1 (v.+adv.)
准许进入 permit in
allow sb/sth in
Most modern hospitals allow the mother in when a baby is ill.
She wouldn't allow me in.
The children are not allowed in until the school bell rings, whatever the weather.
- allow in2 (v.+prep.)
准许进入 permit sb to enter a place
allow sb/sth in sth
I don't allow cats in my kitchen!
They won't allow dogs in the house.
Strictly speaking, nobody is allowed in here.
No parking is allowed in this street.
- allow into (v.+prep.)
准许 permit sb to enter a place
allow sb/sth into sth
They wouldn't allow him into the house.
Children are not allowed into this cinema without their parents.
You are allowed into the room.
Black people aren't allowed into such places.
They were even allowed into some areas which were previously forbidden to foreigners.
- allow of (v.+prep.)
容许,允许 permit; leave for; give the possibility of sth
allow of sth
The question allows of no dispute.
The situation allows of no delay.
His responsible position allowed of no unseemly behaviour in public.
Mr. Pearson's income allows of no extravagance in his way of living.
Our financial situation allows of no unnecessary expenditures.
The statement does not allow of more than one interpretation.
The internal affairs of any state, whether it's big or small, do not allow of external interference.
国家虽有大小,但它的内政是不容许外国干涉的。allow of v-ing
His weakened condition would not allow of his being sent to town.
The stream is too shallow to allow of boating.
- allow out (v.+adv.)
准许外出,离开住处 permit out; permit sb to go out of doors
allow sb out
I've sent the boy to his room and will not allow him out until he says that he's sorry.
They allowed me out in order to make a telephone call.
The children are too young to be allowed out at night.
The prisoners are allowed out for half an hour's exercise each day.
- allow through1 (v.+adv.)
允许通过,穿过 permit to pass through
allow sb/sth through
The soldiers had orders to allow no stranger through.
- allow through2 (v.+prep.)
允许通过,穿过 permit to pass through sth
allow sb/sth through sth
They had orders to allow nobody through the gates.
- allow up (v.+adv.)
允许下床活动 permit sb (who has been ill) to get out of bed
allow sb/sth up
The doctor will not allow mother up until her leg is better.
The doctor allows her up for two hours each day.
- allow a privilege 给予特权
- allow a rest 允许休息
- allow a thing 允许这种事
- allow an hour 给一个小时(时间)
- allow advice 允许建议
- allow changes 允许改变
- allow criticism 允许批评
- allow democracy 允许民主
- allow development 允许有发展
- allow differences 允许有分歧
- allow errors 允许出错
- allow failures 允许失败
- allow freedom 允许自由,给予自由
- allow hunting 允许狩猎
- allow imprison 允许囚禁
- allow increase 允许增加
- allow mistakes 允许错误
- allow oneself 放纵自己
- allow opinions 允许言论
- allow parking 允许停车
- allow pitting 允许吐痰
- allow smoking 允许抽烟
- allow some money 给一些钱
- allow some time 给一些时间
- allow such behaviour 允许这样的行为
- allow such conduct 允许这样的行为
- allow suggestion 允许建议
- allow talking 允许说话
- allow the claim 同意要求
- allow the deduction 允许扣除
- allow the demand 同意这个要求
- allow the goal 承认这次进球
- allow three days 给出三天时间
- allow wrongs 允许(犯)错误
- allow only 只允许
- allow absolutely 绝对允许
- allow conditionally 有条件地允许
- allow frequently 经常允许
- allow generously 慷慨地允许
- allow graciously 宽厚地允许
- allow grudgingly 勉强允许
- allow handsomely 慷慨地允许
- allow readily 欣然允诺
- allow reasonably 明智地允许
- allow regularly 经常想到
- allow reluctantly 勉强承认
- allow ultimately 最终允许
- allow unconditionally 无条件地允许
- allow unwillingly 勉强允许
- allow usually 经常允许
- allow willingly 欣然允诺
- allow out 准许外出
- allow up 允许下床活动
- allow by 被…允许
- allow for any possible miscalculation 考虑到任何可能的计算错误
- allow for errors 把误差估计进去
- allow for future development 考虑到将来的发展
- allow for the inexperience of the basketball team 体谅这个篮球队缺乏经验
- allow for sb's innocence 原谅某人的无知
- allow for some possible factors 把某些可能的因素考虑进去
- allow for the difference of their ages 体谅他们年龄上的差异
- allow for the fact that... 考虑到…这样的事实
- allow for unexpected difficulty 把意想不到的困难考虑到
- allow sb in 允许某人进入
- allow sb into 允许某人进入
- allow of 承认,许可
- allow sb through 允许某人通过
Proud To find the triumphs of his youth allow'd.出自： G. Crabbe
- allow的基本含义一是“允许某人进入某地”“允许某人做某事”; 二是“给予某人金钱〔时间、物品、权力等〕”。引申可表示“承认,认为”。allow所表示的“允许”含有“有能力或有权阻止却默许、放任、不加阻止”,而“允许”其发生的意味。
- allow作“承认”“认可”解时则可以接that从句或以“to be+ n./adj. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。
- allow of作“许可”或“留有余地”解,其客体常由介词of引出,多用于否定的非人称结构。
- 在美式英语中, allow还可作“说”或“声称”解。
He allows his son ￥10 a week.
Allow/Permit me to congratulate you on your success.
We do not allow/permit smoking in the kitchen.
Smoking is not allowed/permitted in the kitchen.
She wouldn't allow me in.
Nothing is permitted, everything is allowed.
allow of同admit of一样，指“有…的余地”。
The question allows of no dispute.
We must allow for accidents.
He has indeed made many mistakes, but you must allow for his inexperience.
- allow for, allow...for
- allow for是“动+介”型短语动词,用作及物动词短语,不可分,意为“考虑到”“体谅”; 而allow...for不是短语动词,这里的allow是及物动词,作“给予”解,其后接sb/sth,再接for引起的短语,表示“用途”。
- allow sb sth, allow sth to sb
- 1.allow sb sth 比allow sth to sb 更常用。
- 2.allow sth to sb 比allow sb sth 更强调对象。
- 3.表示“依照法律给予某人钱财”时,须用allow sth to sb。
- allow v-ing, allow to-v
- 这两种用法的区别在于:动名词在allow之后是用作宾语; 而不定式在allow之后是用作宾语补足语。例如：
- They allowed us to dance here.
- They allowed dancing here.
- allow for, allow of
- 1.allow for的意思是“考虑到”“体谅到”; 而allow of的意思是“容许有”“留余地”。
- 2.allow for的主语通常是人; 而allow of的主语通常是事。
- 3.allow for可用于被动结构; 而allow of则不能用于被动结构。
- 4.allow for多用于肯定式; 而allow of多用于否定式。
- 5.allow for有时也可作“容许有”解,但这是美式用法。
- allow, promise
- He has allowed me to come.
- He promised me to come.
- allow, admit, let, permit
- She opened the door reluctantly to admit the unwelcome visitor.她很不情愿地把门打开,让不受欢迎的客人进去了。
- Jack was admitted to the hospital to have his tumour removed.医生收杰克住院切除肿瘤。
- allow指“允许某人做…”,给予客体执行某任务的权力,或同意某人的要求,和permit同义。它们在许多场合中可以通用。不过两者的意思也有细微差别, allow的意思是“允许”,表示主体有权不阻止、不妨碍或默许某事进行的意思。例如：
- Playing ball is not allowed in the park.公园内不许打球。
- Parking is not allowed here.此处不准停车。
- Time does not permit me to stay longer.时间不容许我在这里多留一会。
- Tom's parents will not let him swim in the lake.汤姆的父母不让他在湖里游泳。
- 2.permit 后可接不定式和动名词,但不可接名词从句; let不用动名词作宾语,其宾语后接动词原形。
- Allow me to〔Let me〕 thank you on behalf of our factory.请允许我代表全厂职工向你致谢。
- The facts permit no other explanations.这些事实不容许作其他解释。
- let 是口头语。例如：
- We won't let such a thing happen again.我们绝不允许再发生这样的事。
- allow of, admit of, permit of
- 这组短语都可以表示“容许,留有…的余地”,多用于否定句,有时也可用于肯定句,三者常可互换,但admit of和permit of的主语多为物质或抽象名词,而allow of的主语间或可以是人。例如：
- The matter admits of no delay.这事不容耽搁。
- Your fault doesn't permit of any excuse.你的过失不容争辩。
- You allow of no chance.你没有机会了。
- allow, concede, grant
- 这组词都可表示“允许”“赞同”。它们之间的区别是:grant强调为了说明问题或把注意力集中在要点上而主动应允某事或承认某事属实; concede指在对方提出有力证据的前后勉强承认; allow指权威地承认某事属实、符合逻辑或有道理。
误 We don't allow people smoking in the cinema.
正 We don't allow people to smoke in the cinema.
析 表示“允许某人做某事”, allow后面要跟宾语加带to的动词不定式而不是动名词构成复合宾语。教室内禁止吸烟。
误 It is not allowed to smoke in the lecture hall.
正 Smoking is not allowed in the lecture hall.
析 allow一般不用it is not allowed to do sth 的结构。我不许你那样做。
误 I cannot allow of you doing that.
正 I cannot allow you to do that.
析 allow of不能以人作主语。人民银行付给存款三厘利息。
误 The People's Bank allows giving 3 per cent interest on deposits.
正 The People's Bank allows 3 per cent interest on deposits.
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的alouer，意为赞成；最初源自拉丁语的allocare。