- v. 携带；运送；搬运；带有；传播；承载
- n. 【计】进位；运载
- vt. 提,挑,背 hold off the ground and move sb/sth from one place to another
- vt. & vi. 运送,搬运 take from one place to another
- vt. 携带,具有,包含 involve; entail; include
- vt. 支撑,支承 support
the act of carrying something
move while supporting, either in a vehicle or in one's hands or on one's body;
"You must carry your camping gear"
"carry the suitcases to the car"
"This train is carrying nuclear waste"
"These pipes carry waste water into the river"
have with oneself; have on one's person;
"She always takes an umbrella"
"I always carry money"
"She packs a gun when she goes into the mountains"
transmit or serve as the medium for transmission;
"Sound carries well over water"
"The airwaves carry the sound"
"Many metals conduct heat"
serve as a means for expressing something;
"The painting of Mary carries motherly love"
"His voice carried a lot of anger"
bear or be able to bear the weight, pressure,or responsibility of;
"His efforts carried the entire project"
"How many credits is this student carrying?"
"We carry a very large mortgage"
support or hold in a certain manner;
"She holds her head high"
"He carried himself upright"
contain or hold; have within;
"The jar carries wine"
"The canteen holds fresh water"
"This can contains water"
extend to a certain degree;
"carry too far"
"She carries her ideas to the extreme"
continue or extend;
"The civil war carried into the neighboring province"
"The disease extended into the remote mountain provinces"
be necessarily associated with or result in or involve;
"This crime carries a penalty of five years in prison"
win in an election;
"The senator carried his home state"
include, as on a list;
"How many people are carried on the payroll?"
behave in a certain manner;
"She carried herself well"
"he bore himself with dignity"
"They conducted themselves well during these difficult times"
have on hand;
"Do you carry kerosene heaters?"
include as the content; broadcast or publicize;
"We ran the ad three times"
"This paper carries a restaurant review"
"All major networks carried the press conference"
"Carry the ball"
"dribble the ball"
pass on a communication;
"The news was carried to every village in the province"
have as an inherent or characteristic feature or have as a consequence;
"This new washer carries a two year guarantee"
"The loan carries a high interest rate"
"this undertaking carries many dangers"
"She carries her mother's genes"
"These bonds carry warrants"
"The restaurant carries an unusual name"
be conveyed over a certain distance;
"Her voice carries very well in this big opera house"
keep up with financial support;
"The Federal Government carried the province for many years"
have or possess something abstract;
"I carry her image in my mind's eye"
"I will carry the secret to my grave"
"I carry these thoughts in the back of my head"
"I carry a lot of life insurance"
be equipped with (a mast or sail);
"This boat can only carry a small sail"
win approval or support for;
"Carry all before one"
"His speech did not sway the voters"
compensate for a weaker partner or member by one's own performance;
"I resent having to carry her all the time"
take further or advance;
"carry a cause"
have on the surface or on the skin;
capture after a fight;
"The troops carried the town after a brief fight"
transfer (entries) from one account book to another
transfer (a number, cipher, or remainder) to the next column or unit's place before or after, in addition or multiplication;
"put down 5 and carry 2"
pursue a line of scent or be a bearer;
"the dog was taught to fetch and carry"
bear (a crop);
"this land does not carry olives"
propel or give impetus to;
"The sudden gust of air propelled the ball to the other side of the fence"
drink alcohol without showing ill effects;
"He can hold his liquor"
"he had drunk more than he could carry"
be able to feed;
"This land will carry ten cows to the acre"
have a certain range;
"This rifle carries for 3,000 feet"
cover a certain distance or advance beyond;
"The drive carried to the green"
secure the passage or adoption (of bills and motions);
"The motion carried easily"
be successful in;
"She lost the game but carried the match"
sing or play against other voices or parts;
"He cannot carry a tune"
be pregnant with;
"She is bearing his child"
"The are expecting another child in January"
"I am carrying his child"
- She came in carrying an important-looking piece of paper.
- This is a dangerous area, so don't carry too much cash on you.
- Pipes carry oil across the desert to the east.
- The box is so heavy that I can't carry it.
- His voice carries the ring of authority.
- Many dangerous diseases are carried by insects.
- This radio station does not carry any advertising.
- Crimes of violence carry heavy penalties.
- These bags carry easily.
- The oil carried in pipe-lines.
- His voice carried through the hall.
- The public speaker must have a voice that carries herself well.
- She carries well.
- The sound of the guns carried many miles.
- The shot carried 200 yards.
- Do you always carry an umbrella?
- He carries two swords at the girdle.
- He was carrying a box on his shoulder.
- She was carrying the baby in her arms.
- I carried the books in a strong paper bag.
- If they hadn't carried me home,I would have frozen to death in the snow.
- If I take any more,I fear I shall be unable to carry myself home.
- Airplanes carry passengers.
- My bike has carried me 300 miles.
- The donkey is carrying a heavy load.
- Railways and ships carry goods.
- This space rocket carries two satellites.
- That pipe carries water.
- Wires carry sounds.
- He carried himself bravely in that ordeal.
- The little girl carries herself gracefully.
- She carries herself haughtily.
- The mare is carrying a foal now.
- The walls carry the weight of the roof.
- He is carrying the department on his shoulders.
- Mr. A carried great authority.A
- He spoke calmly, but every sentence carried weight.
- He may be the boss at work but his wishes seem to carry very little weight at home.
- People have a great deal of respect for that man, therefore what he says carries weight.
- He carries his age very well.
- He carries his eighty years well.
- The newspaper usually carries several pages of advertisements.
- This radio station does not carry any advertising.
- All the newspapers carried articles about the pop star's marriage.
- Love for the art carried him abroad.
- Her outstanding ability carried her right to the top of her profession.
- He ran out of the burning building as fast as his legs would carry him.
- He is carrying a torch for the actress, though she is already in love with somebody else.
- The goods are carried by a goods train.
- The waste is carried hundreds of miles by the wind.
- The important statement was soon carried all over the world by radio.
- The bill was carried.
- This article was carried in yesterday's The People's Daily .
- Please carry me an umbrella.
- Tom carried this accident to his wife.
- She carried a letter to me.
- They carried the slave still alive into the jungle.
- Though exhausted, the horse still carried his head high.
- carry about〔around〕( v.+adv. )
随身带,携带 keep with sb
This big case is too heavy to carry about.
这个大箱子太沉,无法随身携带。carry sth ⇔ about〔around〕
Why does she always carry that little dog about?
The traveller carries about a camera.
The seller carried books about for sale.
Don't carry the blue-print about with you all the time.What if you should lose it?
I carry memories of my homeland around with me.
- carry all before( v.+prep. )
迅速获胜; 势如破竹 be highly successful all rivals
carry all before sb/sth
He carried all before him in badminton.
Sean carried all before him in our club's tennis tournament and won the champion's trophy.
The people's will is irresistible and will carry all before it.
- carry along( v.+adv. )
感染,吸引; 鼓舞,支持 cause sb to share one's feelings, opinion, etc.
- carry away( v.+adv. )
使激动,使着迷 excite sb so that he is no longer capable of sensible thought or behavior
- carry back( v.+adv. )
使回想; 使陷入回忆 make sb return in thought or memory
- carry down( v.+adv. )
把(习语或观念)传给年轻人或晚辈 give or leave sth such as an idea to people who are younger or come later
- carry for( v.+prep. )
为…拿 catch sth for sb
carry for sb
I don't fetch or carry for you, or wait on you personally.
- carry forward( v.+adv. )
前进,推进 cause sth/sb to advance
- carry into( v.+prep. )
带进,搬进 lift sth into a building
carry sth into sth
Please carry the chairs into the house for me.
Carry the war into Africa.
It's time I carried my intentions of hard work into practice.
The case was carried into court.
- carry off1( v.+adv. )
〈非正〉夺去生命,害死 cause death of; kill
- carry off2( v.+prep. )
带离 take sb/sth away from a place
carry sb/sth off sth
She picked up the actor's sword and carried it off the stage.
- carry on( v.+adv. )
〈非正〉继续进行 continue work, an activity, etc.; continue to conduct or manage a business, a conversation, etc.
carry sth ⇔ on
That family has carried on a hardware business for five generations.
He carried on a bookstore in the town.
We must try to carry on as if nothing had happened.
They carried on in spite of the difficult conditions.
If you carry on in that way, you will be more and more divorced from the masses.
Please carry on as usual while I am away.
我不在的时候,请照常干。carry on (with) sth
Just carry on (with) your work as if I wasn't here.
Now we have got the light-fuse mended we can carry on (with) our work.
They decided to carry on (with) the work in spite of the weather.
After his father died,Tom carried on with the business.
They carried on with their experiment in spite of the lack of facilities.
The doctor told her to carry on with the treatment.
We have carried on a correspondence for years.
They carried on the discussion.
We will certainly carry on the work he left.
They carried on a long conversation yesterday afternoon.
He has learned enough German to carry on a conversation.
The conversation was carried on in a cordial and friendly atmosphere.
会谈是在亲切友好的气氛中进行的。carry on v-ing
We must carry on hoping for the best.
He carried on working as if nothing had happened.
- carry out( v.+adv. )
完成,实现 finish; realize
- carry over( v.+adv. )
推迟; 延期 be put off
The habit carries over from my childhood.
The Red Army's glorious revolutionary traditions have carried over to the present day.
红军的光荣革命传统一直发扬到今天。carry sth ⇔ over
The group agreed to carry over their discussion on the topic to the next meeting.
There wasn't time to finish all the games last night and so some have had to be carried over until next week.
- carry through1( v.+adv. )
帮助…渡过难关 support or help through a difficult situation
- carry through2( v.+prep. )
帮助…渡过… help sb to live through (danger or trouble)
- carry with( v.+prep. )
带着,含有 hold sth with sb; have sth inside it
carry sth with sb/sth
He carried much luggage with him.
The privileges carry with them great responsibilities.
- carry a baby 背孩子
- carry a bone in the mouth 开足马力破浪前进
- carry a box 扛箱子
- carry a burden 挑担子
- carry a cargo 运载货物
- carry a disease 带有疾病
- carry a fight 鏖战
- carry a flag 无业游民改姓易名旅行
- carry a fortress 攻占一要塞
- carry a lot of figures 记住许多数字
- carry mail 运送邮件
- carry a message 捎口信
- carry a motion 表决通过提案
- carry a peculiar sense 带有特殊含义
- carry a resolution 表决通过决议
- carry a road 使公路延伸
- carry a small notebook 带着一个小笔记本
- carry a torch for 迷恋,单恋,热烈赞助
- carry a value 具有价值
- carry a watch 戴着表
- carry a weapon 携带武器
- carry aims 实现目标
- carry all before one 获得巨大的成功,势如破竹,所向无敌
- carry an analogy 具有类似之处
- carry an enemy's position 攻占敌方阵地
- carry an election 选举取胜
- carry an umbrella 带着伞
- carry arms 携带武器
- carry authority 具有权威
- carry conviction 令人信服
- carry debate 辩论获胜
- carry debt 拖债
- carry election 选举获胜
- carry five percent interest 具有5%的利息
- carry gas 输送煤气
- carry goods 运输货物
- carry heat 传热
- carry inference 包含着推理
- carry it 占优势,取胜
- carry meanings 言词达意
- carry memories 有记忆力
- carry money 带钱
- carry the necessary consequence 包含着严重警告
- carry news 传送消息
- carry nine 20-inch guns 配备9门20英寸的大炮
- carry oil in pipeline 用管道输送石油
- carry one's audience 博得听众的同感
- carry one's ideas 阐述想法
- carry one's joke 开玩笑
- carry one's liquor like a gentleman 慢慢地喝
- carry one's passport 带好护照
- carry one's point 通过主张
- carry order 执行命令
- carry package 携带包裹
- carry principle 拘泥原则
- carry responsibility 负有责任
- carry sewage 输导污水
- carry signals 传播信号
- carry sound 传声
- carry a sword 佩着剑
- carry ten tons of goods 载重十吨货物
- carry the books 带书
- carry the can 〈英口〉单独承担全部风险、责任
- carry the chair 搬椅子
- carry the day 取胜
- carry the enemy's position 夺取敌人的阵地
- carry the house 博得满堂喝彩
- carry the measure into effect 实施这项措施
- carry the news 传播消息
- carry the roof 支撑屋顶
- carry things 处理事情
- carry twins 怀双胞胎
- carry a walking stick 拄着手杖
- carry water 输送水
- carry weight 有分量,重要
- carry wound 负伤
- carry abroad 带到国外
- carry along 刮走,吸引住
- carry astray 误入歧途
- carry far 把…做得过分
- carry farther 传得远
- carry home 回家
- carry shoulder-high 抬到肩上
- carry sth upstairs 把某物搬上楼
- carry well 举止彬彬有礼
- carry actively 得到大力发展
- carry defiantly 举止无礼
- carry gracefully 举止彬彬有礼
- carry perfunctorily 执行马虎
- carry properly 恰当地传播
- carry strictly 严格执行
- carry successfully 很成功地攻占
- carry systematically 系统地贯彻
- carry unanimously 一致通过
- carry unflinchingly 果断地执行
- carry about a camera 随身带着一只照相机
- carry along 鼓励…完成,说服,使继续
- carry around 携带
- carry away 运走,冲昏…头脑
- carry back 运回,拿回,使回想起
- carry down 结转,滚入
- carry forward 推进,发表,归入,贯彻
- carry an enterprise forward 发展事业
- carry forward one's achievement 发扬成绩
- carry off 带去,夺去
- carry off most of the medals 夺得大部分奖牌
- carry on 继续
- carry on a conversation 继续交谈
- carry on business in 以…方式经营
- carry on health movements 继续开展卫生运动
- carry on mass work 做群众工作
- carry out 开展,实现,贯彻,执行
- carry out a decision 执行决定
- carry out a order 执行命令
- carry out patriotic education 进行爱国教育
- carry out a plan 执行计划
- carry over 延期,贮存(货物)
- carry over the discussion to the 4th 把讨论延期至4号
- carry the matter over to the next time 下次会议讨论这个问题
- carry through 贯彻
- carry the wounded through 帮助伤员渡过难关
- carry in one's hand 提某物
- carry in mind 记住,把…记在心上
- carry in one's arms 抱着某物
- carry into effect 实现,实行,贯彻
- carry like a soldier 举止像军人
- carry on a stretcher 用担架抬人
- carry on one's back 背负某物
- carry on one's head 头顶着某物
- carry one's head on the left side 把头侧向左边
- carry on one's shoulder 肩扛某物
- carry to excess 做得过分
- carry to success 引向成功
- carry under one's arm 把某物夹在腋下
- carry with 记得,随身携带
- carry with assurance 表现自信
- carry with one 获得…的赞同
I'll bear your logs..I'll carry it to the pile.出自：Tempest , Shakespeare
If we carry our thoughts from the corporeal to the moral world.出自： G. Berkeley
The news..had been carried to the Earl of Pembroke.出自： Ld Macaulay
He wore his overcoat and carried his wet hat.出自： E. Hemingway
Carried out to sea by the tide.出自： R. Macaulay
The master of the Osprey will carry you to Newcastle.出自： P. V. White
I went back..as fast as my artificial leg would carry me.出自： R. Davies
Offshore islands..composed of the materials the rivers had carried down to the sea and deposited.出自： J. D. MacDonald
- carry的基本意思是“运输”“传送”,可指人自身提、搬、拿、抱、背、扛,也可指人役使牲畜或使用交通工具如飞机、汽车将某物由一地运往另一地。作此解时, carry多用作及物动词,主语多为人,也可为天然或人工的通道等,宾语则为运送的有形物或无形物。carry也可用作不及物动词,这时多与hardly, easily之类的状语连用,主动形式含有被动意义。
- carry用作及物动词时还可作“支撑”“支承”解,指承受静止物体的重量,接抽象名词时意为“经得住,承受得了”; carry也可接双宾语,其间接宾语可转化成介词to的宾语。
- carry on with the work意思是“继续工作”，其中的介词with可有可无。
- carry, convey, transfer, transmit, transport
- The seeds of dandelion were carried to the meadow by the wind.风把蒲公英的种子吹到草地上。
- The truck conveyed the furniture.这辆货车运送家具。
- Those passengers were transported by a Boeing 747.那批旅客是用波音747飞机运送的。
- Please have my luggage transferred to the railway station.请把我的行李转到火车站去。
- The station transmits from 6 a.m. until midnight.电台从早晨6点开始播音,一直持续到半夜。
- Many serious diseases are carried by insects.许多严重疾病都是由昆虫传染的。
- I can't convey my feelings in words.我无法用言语来表达我的情感。
- We transport logs by train.我们用火车运送圆木。
- carry, bring, fetch, get, take
- 1.bring 表示“拿来”,指从别处拿过来,方向一般是说话者,多指比较近的东西,也可以指带到一个说话人将要到达的地方,有时还可指由说话者随身带着(去某处),可以包括“带走”; take 表示“拿走”“带走”,指从此处拿出去,例如:
- When you go home take the letter with you.你回家去的时候,把信带去。
- fetch表示“去拿来”; carry则指“随身带着”,没有明确的方向性,同时强调体力方面的负担,可代替bring和take,例如:
- The mother carries her baby in her arms.母亲把小宝宝抱在怀里。
- 2.bring 和 take 都表示单程,只是方向相反,而fetch则表示一往一返。
- 3.fetch强调目的性,即专门到一个地方把(某人)某物请〔带〕回来; bring则强调方向性,即动作朝着说话者的方向或所在地。
- 4.take, bring和carry都可指携带〔运送〕较小的东西, carry还可指携带〔运送〕较大、较重的东西。
- 5.take, bring和carry都可指人运送, carry还可指马、车等牲口或运输工具运送,也可指以管道的形式运输。
- fetch指一往一返，相当于go and bring，去取了东西或带人再返回到出发处。
误 We carried the discussion late into the night.
正 We carried on the discussion late into the night.
析 表示“进行继续下去”时, carry用作不及物动词,其后须接副词on。我们要尽快做完这项工作。
误 We shall carry on the work as soon as we can.
正 We shall carry out the work as soon as we can.
析 carry on表示“继续进行”, carry out是“做好,做完”的意思。上星期天老师带学生们去了公园。
误 The teacher carried her students to the park last Sunday.
正 The teacher took her students to the park last Sunday.他把孩子抱到母亲跟前去。
误 He took the baby to Mother.
正 He carried the baby to Mother.
析 表示“将某人带到某处”,应该说take sb to some place,其中take是“带着”“领着”的意思; 而carry则表示“抱着或背着”的意思。他们继续盖房子。
误 They carried on to build the house.
正 They carried on building the house.
析 “继续做某事”,可以说carry on doing sth,但不可以说carry on to do sth。你身上带钱了吗?
误 Did you carry any money with you?
正 Did you take any money with you?
- ☆ 14世纪初期进入英语，直接源自盎格鲁法语的carier，意为以交通工具传输（人或物）；最初源自古典拉丁语的carrum。