- v. 退休；撤退；离去；就寝；主动退出比赛；收回（货币）；赎回（票据）
- n. 退休，退职
- vt. & vi. (使)退休; 退下; 撤退 (cause to) stop working at one's job, profession, etc.; go away to a quiet or less control place; move back intentionally, without being forced to
- vi. 就寝 go to bed
go into retirement; stop performing one's work or withdraw from one's position;
"He retired at age 68"
withdraw from active participation;
"He retired from chess"
pull back or move away or backward;
"The enemy withdrew"
"The limo pulled away from the curb"
withdraw from circulation or from the market, as of bills, shares, and bonds
break from a meeting or gathering;
"We adjourned for lunch"
"The men retired to the library"
make (someone) retire;
"The director was retired after the scandal"
dispose of (something no longer useful or needed);
"She finally retired that old coat"
"he retired from life when his wife died"
cause to be out on a fielding play
cause to get out;
"The pitcher retired three batters"
"the runner was put out at third base"
prepare for sleep;
"I usually turn in at midnight"
"He goes to bed at the crack of dawn"
- My father retired at the age of 60.
- The old worker decided to retire to the country.
- Our forces retired to prepared positions.
- After lunch he retired to his study.
- I decided to retire early with a book.
- She fell badly, spraining her ankle, and had to retire.
- Companies may retire their bonds payable before maturity.
- Mr. Smith retired last month and now lives his ease.
- Once people retire they automatically cease to be union members.
- Immediately after dinner they retired.
- My wife usually retires at 10 o'clock.
- The house was shut up; everyone had retired.
- She retired early with a good book this night.
- We'll retire him the first chance we have.
- It was found necessary to retire several generals who lacked energy and enterprise.
- Some of the older workers were retired early.
- retire from (v.+prep.)
从…撤退 move back from (a position)
retire from sth/v-ing
When Jim's uncle retired from the railway company, he was given a gold watch.
They had decided to retire from farming.
Gradually the shore retired from view.
海岸逐渐后退,最终从视野中消失。retire sth from sth
The government retires worn or torn dollar bills from use.
政府将破烂的钞票回收停用。retire from sth
The officer ordered the troop to retire from the action.
The soldiers received orders to retire from the positions that they had just won.
- retire from the world (v.+prep.+n.)
归隐 enter a religious order, or live alone from principle, seeing no one
- retire into oneself (v.+prep.+pron.)
变得沉默寡言,不愿同别人交谈 become very quiet and unwilling to talk to people
- retire on (v.+prep.)
退休后靠…(生活) have a (income) at the end of one's working life
retire on sth
People who retire on fixed incomes have the greatest difficulty with rising prices.
- retire to (v.+prep.)
退到,去往… move to (a place) at the end of one's life's work
retire to sth
He retired to his bedroom.
At the end of the meal, we all retired to the garden.
Many people retire to the country, where they can enjoy peace and fresh air.
The old man retired to the country for rest.
- retire early 提早退休
- retire cautiously 小心地撤退
- retire compulsorily 强迫退休
- retire decently 光荣退休
- retire forcedly 强迫退休
- retire modestly 慎重地撤退
- retire timidly 胆小地撤退
- retire unwillingly 不情愿地退休
- retire voluntarily 自愿退休
- retire back stage 退居幕后
He made retire From his companions, and set forth.出自： Keats
No. 28 overturned and..retired from the race.出自： E. Waugh
They retired early and lay in their beds.出自： E. Langley
The doctor in disgust..had retired to the country.出自： G. Greene
His illness..finally forced him to retire.出自： E. Pawel
- retire, retreat, withdraw
- retire指从公共场所移到私人场所,用法较为正式; withdraw与retire相似,为正式用语,现已较少使用; retreat多指从危险的处境中退出,也可能从一个地方移到另一个安静的私人场所。
- withdraw 撤回
- retreat 撤退
- go to bed 去睡觉
- discharge 排出
- vacate 空出
- recede 后退
- resign 辞职
- remove 消除
- quit 停止
- relinquish 放弃
- dismiss 开除
- expel 驱逐
- abdicate 正式放弃
- suspend 暂停
- turn in 上缴
- hit the sack 就寝
- hit the hay 上床睡觉
- go 去
- step down 逐渐缩小
- call it a day 收工
- leave 委托
- take your leave 放弃(离开
- go away 离开(走掉)
- go off 爆炸
- bed 床
- release 释放
- to 对于
- adjourn (使)延期
- put out 熄灭
- move back 退缩
- sack out 睡觉
- strike out 删去
- pull away (把 ... )开走...
- pull back 拉回
- draw back 撒回
- kip down 睡觉
- go to sleep 入睡
- retired adj. 退休的；退职的；退后的‖retiredness n. 退休‖retirement n. 退休,退职,退役