- 使悬浮， 使飘浮
- vt. 悬挂,吊起 hang sth up
- vt. 暂停; 悬而未决 stop for a time; delay; keep in an undecided state for a time
"The secret police suspended their victims from the ceiling and beat them"
cause to be held in suspension in a fluid;
"suspend the particles"
bar temporarily; from school, office, etc.
stop a process or a habit by imposing a freeze on it;
"Suspend the aid to the war-torn country"
make inoperative or stop;
"suspend payments on the loan"
render temporarily ineffective;
"the prison sentence was suspended"
- As the workers went on strike, the company was obliged to suspend its operations.
- Such fine particles suspend readily in water.
- They decided to suspend trade with that country.
- The policeman was suspended while the complaint was investigated.
- They suspended a football player.
- He suspended the delivery of the goods.
- They have suspended work until next week.
- Both papers suspended publication.
- The committee suspended a rule.
- Both governments are refusing to suspend hostilities.
- The court has suspended judgement till next Monday.
- He was caught on a branch as he fell and was suspended above the ground.
- A beam of sunlight lit up the particles of dust that were suspended in the air.
- A pall of smog was suspended over the city.
- All business in the city will be suspended until after the funeral.
- The goods traffic was almost entirely suspended.
- Bus service will be suspended until the highway is repaired.
- Sales of this drug have been suspended until more tests have been performed.
- The judgement was suspended.
- The trial is to be suspended while new evidence is considered.
- suspend from (v.+prep.)
勒令暂时停职,暂时取消 prevent sb officially from holding his usual position, carrying out his usual duties, etc. for a timeThe only way to deal with that boy is to suspend him from school for a week.对付这个男孩最好的办法就是让他停学一周。
- suspend diplomatic relations 中止外交关系
- suspend judgement 缓期宣判
- suspend a license 暂时吊销执照
- suspend negotiations 中止谈判
- suspend payment 暂停付款
- suspend train service 暂停铁路运输
Pusey had been suspended from preaching.出自： G. Battiscombe
- suspend, dangle, hang, sling
- 这组词都有“悬挂”的意思。它们的区别是:hang指一端固定在一点或一条线上,另一端悬在空中的状态,也指依附在一点上; dangle指晃来晃去地吊着某物; sling指用吊索轻松地吊起笨重的物体或指吊在肩上; suspend指悬浮在空中可以灵活运动。例如:
- Hang the picture on the wall.把画挂在墙上。
- He sat on the edge of the table dangling his legs.他坐在桌子沿上,悬荡着双腿。
- He stood up and slung his gun over his shoulder.他站起来把枪往肩上一背。
- They could see the dust suspended in the beam of light.他们能看见悬浮在那道光中的灰尘。
- delay，postpone，defer，suspend，prolong，put off
- put off口语用词，与postpone同义，但较通俗。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的suspendre；最初源自古典拉丁语的suspendere：sub (自下而上） + pendere (挂，称），意为悬挂，停止。
- suspender n. 吊的东西；吊带