- v. 委托；离开；留给；遗留；遗赠；听任
- n. 许可；准假；告别
- vi. 生出叶子
- 使保留，让…处于，使发生 ，造成
- vi. & vt. 离开,舍弃 go away from
- vt. 把…留下;遗忘 remain;go without taking
- vt. 听任,让 cause to be or remain in a particular state or position
- vt. 交托,委托 allow sth to be the responsibility of sb or to be decided by (sth)
- [U]准假,假期 holiday from work
- [U]许可,准许 allowing sb to do sth
- [U]辞别 saying good-bye
the period of time during which you are absent from work or duty;
"a ten day's leave to visit his mother"
permission to do something;
"she was granted leave to speak"
the act of departing politely;
"he disliked long farewells"
"he took his leave"
"parting is such sweet sorrow"
go away from a place;
"At what time does your train leave?"
"She didn't leave until midnight"
"The ship leaves at midnight"
go and leave behind, either intentionally or by neglect or forgetfulness;
"She left a mess when she moved out"
"His good luck finally left him"
"her husband left her after 20 years of marriage"
"she wept thinking she had been left behind"
act or be so as to become in a specified state;
"The inflation left them penniless"
"The president's remarks left us speechless"
leave unchanged or undisturbed or refrain from taking;
"leave it as is"
"leave the young fawn alone"
"leave the flowers that you see in the park behind"
move out of or depart from;
"leave the room"
"the fugitive has left the country"
make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain;
"This leaves no room for improvement"
"The evidence allows only one conclusion"
"allow for mistakes"
"leave lots of time for the trip"
"This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
have as a result or residue;
"The water left a mark on the silk dress"
"Her blood left a stain on the napkin"
remove oneself from an association with or participation in;
"She wants to leave"
"The teenager left home"
"She left her position with the Red Cross"
"He left the Senate after two terms"
"after 20 years with the same company, she pulled up stakes"
put into the care or protection of someone;
"He left the decision to his deputy"
"leave your child the nurse's care"
leave or give by will after one's death;
"My aunt bequeathed me all her jewelry"
"My grandfather left me his entire estate"
have left or have as a remainder;
"That left the four of us"
"19 minus 8 leaves 11"
be survived by after one's death;
"He left six children"
"At her death, she left behind her husband and 11 cats"
transmit (knowledge or skills);
"give a secret to the Russians"
"leave your name and address here"
"impart a new skill to the students"
leave behind unintentionally;
"I forgot my umbrella in the restaurant"
"I left my keys inside the car and locked the doors"
- I will leave you to attend to the matter .
- You can leave it with us for safe keeping for no more than a month, or abandon it.
- I leave the gay saloon of New York for the green glade of the country.
- Please, don't forget to hand back your room key before you leave the hotel.
- The measure of our success will be the condition in which we leave the world for the next generation.
- Be sure not to leave anything behind, please.
- Seek not proud riches, but such as thou mayest get justly, use soberly, distribute cheerfully, and leave contentedly.
- The treasure I bequeath and leave entirely to my sole heir.
- We mustn't leave him to his own devices.
- It is necessary to seek the Court's leave to file a document out of time.
- She has my leave to see him.
- She was allowed compassionate leave from work to attend her father's funeral.
- The company has docked us of three days of our annual leave.
- She took leave of her mother, and caught the train to Beijing.
- An unbelieving smile flits on your eyes when I come to you to take my leave.
- It's time for us to leave.
- She apologized and left.
- When we got there the train had left.
- The secretary had threatened to leave.
- We're giving him a party when he leaves.
- So Mary is going to leave, isn't she?
- Our ship leaves port tonight.
- For how long can we leave the steamer at the next port?
- This is the first glass of whisky I have had since I left Paris.
- His wife threatened to leave him if he did not give up gambling.
- She left her husband after she had a quarrel with him.
- He left his wife three months ago.
- Lally will leave him for a while and earn her own living.
- He left school a month before graduation.
- After leaving school, he joined up.
- Has your brother left school yet?
- I'm afraid I've left my books at home.
- Please leave your umbrellas in the corridor.
- Will you leave your name and address?
- Visitors left approving remarks in the comment book.
- He left a bad impression on us.
- The painter has left many water color sketches that have won for him a significant place.
- He gambled away all the money his father left him.
- Red wine leaves a stain.
- The injury left a scar on his face.
- The accident left a scar on her leg.
- He has left word I should wait in his room.
- If he happens to be out, you may leave word with his secretary.
- Ten minus seven leaves three.10
- Flying out of the country, we left the cliffs on our left.
- He left business for a new job as a schoolteacher.
- He left his sister 300 pounds.
- We have left him enough food.
- His father left him nothing when he died.
- In his will, my uncle has left me all his property.
- Leave him the book before you go.
- I'd like to leave you the books I've kept for so many years.
- This schedule would leave you time to make preparations for the conference.
- She was left a big fortune by her husband.
- This letter needs answering. Can I leave it to you?
- Leave him to his father, he'll deal with him.
- He left the dictionary to me.
- I don't like leaving important decisions to inexperienced people.
- The catering can be left to mother.
- The postman left a letter for you.
- I'll make sure to leave word for you as to where you can find me.
- He leaves all the worst jobs for me.
- We can leave the difficult jobs for the chairman to do.
- A parcel has been left for you at the desk.
- He said he had left the door open on purpose.
- We can leave it open for the moment.
- As to your wish to have an extra secretary , let's leave it open until the next fiscal year.
- His illness has left him very weak.
- The famine in 1933 left peasants helpless.1933
- His long and dull speech left all of us cold.
- That'll leave the whole morning free, won't it?
- This will leave the joints free to move.
- The absence of the director left him the chief of the office.
- I was left an orphan at the age of eight.
- He was left rich by his father.
- That firm is looking for a new accountant. At present, the salary they will offer has been left open.
- They left it undecided who was to be the chief.
- Leave him to do it himself.
- We must leave the children to settle their affairs themselves.
- I'll leave you to settle all the business.
- Her parents left her to choose her own friends.
- You must leave me to decide what course to follow.
- We'll leave you to negotiate with them.
- How could I leave him to suffer in a strange family?
- She was left to organize the party herself.
- He left me waiting outside in the rain.
- Why did you leave the guests standing there?
- They walked off and left me sitting there all by myself.
- She always leaves the light burning all night long.
- Our roaring guns left the enemy trembling with fear.
- They could not leave the city unguarded.
- I'm sorry I've left some of your questions unanswered.
- But a day's talk left them still divided on some issues.
- I felt I had little energy left.
- There is nothing left in the box.
- She asked for a day's leave.
- John had a week's sick leave.
- His leave is up tomorrow.
- They are given two leaves each year.
- I don't know if you can get leave for that long time.
- My brother, who is in the army, is home on leave.
- I'm in command of the regiment while the colonel's on leave.
- The boy was happy to have leave to be away from school.
- Have you got leave to go with us?
- Who gave you leave to do that?
- He asked leave of the landlord to use his telephone.
- You have my leave to stay away from the office tomorrow.
- May I have your leave to photograph the place?
- We got the leave to visit the military base.
- I have leave to do what I like.
- In case you give me leave,I'll start at once.
- I'd like to read the letter by your leave.
- He took the book without my leave.
- leave about (v.+adv.)
乱丢,乱放 fail to put away carefully and tidily
leave sth ⇔ about
He is apt to leave things about.
She told her child not to leave his toys about .
- leave about
- leave aside (v.+adv.)
搁置,不考虑 not consider
leave sth ⇔ aside
Let's leave the matter aside for a moment.
- leave behind (v.+adv.)
使落后,丢在后面 cause to lag behind
- leave for (v.+prep.)
离开(某人)以同(他人)生活在一起;离开(某职位)以寻求 abandon, in order to follow sb/sth
leave for sth
We're leaving for Rome next week.
The newly married couple are leaving for their honeymoon.
这对新婚夫妇将动身外出度蜜月。leave sth for sth
She left Beijing for New York last year.
Before leaving Guangzhou for Hong Kong, the foreign guest came with her sons and daughters to thank the hotel assistants.
在离开广州去香港之前,那个外宾带着儿子和女儿来向旅馆服务员表示感谢。leave sb/sth for sb/sth
He left his wife for a worthless actress.
The director is thinking of leaving the firm for a better position elsewhere.
He left medicine for the law.
- leave holding the bag〔sack〕
让某人背黑锅 leave sb to take all the blame for sth that others have done one should share
leave sb holding the bag〔sack〕
They all ran off and left me holding the bag.
- leave in (v.+adv.)
让…留下 permit to stay
leave sth ⇔ in
They have left those words in after all.
The editor finally agreed to leave the paragraph in.
- leave it at that
〈非正〉行了,够了,到此为止 say or do nothing further about a matter
- leave nothing(〔much〕) to be desired
(不)十分完美,(不)令人满意 (not) be very good,(not) be better than others
- leave off (v.+adv.)
停止(做)某事,戒掉 cease or stop doing sth;give up
Has the rain left off yet?
Let's leave off here for lunch.
I think we should leave off now and have some coffee.
我想现在我们该休息一下,喝点咖啡了。leave sth ⇔ off
Do not leave off your overcoat, it is cold.
We left off work earlier than usual today.
Cooling pumps were left off for more than an hour.
冷却泵关了一个多小时。leave off v-ing
Leave off doing that, will you?
Please leave off biting your nails.
Leave off teasing that boy.
Leave off interrupting me whenever I'm talking!
It is time to leave off talking and to start acting.
They leave off quarrelling to sleep.
- leave on (v.+adv.)
让(火)燃着,让…开着 allow to remain alight;be burning
- leave out (v.+adv.)
遗漏,省略,删去;未顾及,忽略 not include or mention;not consider;ignore
leave sb/sth ⇔ out
In copying this document, be careful not to leave out any word.
I notice that the advertisement leaves out the price of the product.
If you leave your bicycle out at night, it'll soon have trouble with rust.
If you aren't in when I go to bed. I'll leave some food out for you.
The headmaster won't like it if we leave his son out of the team.
You left out the possibility that the train might be late.
Don't leave me out, please!
Whenever Helen holds a party, she invites my brother, but leaves me out in the cold.
Not a comma was left out.
Nothing of value is left out.
Nobody speaks to him;he is always left out.
Please complete this cheque properly;the date has been left out.
- leave over (v.+adv.)
延后,推迟;(暂时搁置)留待以后处理 postpone;leave to be dealt with at a later date
- leave up to (v.+adv.+prep.)
由某人作决定 let some important decision be made by sb
leave sth up to sb
Leave it up to me,I'll see to it.
At some colleges, the amount of work you will do is left entirely up to you.
- leave with (v.+prep.)
将…留给…处理 give as the main story in a newspaper
- take leave (of)
告别,离开 say good-bye;go away from
- leave a address 留下地址
- leave a message 留个话
- leave a note 留个字条
- leave England 离开英国
- leave it at that 行啦,到此为止吧
- leave party 离开聚会
- leave room 留些地方
- leave school 毕业
- leave the club 退出俱乐部
- leave umbrella 忘记拿伞
- leave wife 离开妻子
- leave word 留话
- leave affectionately 亲切地离开
- leave diplomatically 圆滑地离开
- leave inadvertently 粗心大意地离开
- leave judiciously 明智地离开
- leave politely 有礼貌地离开
- leave prudently 谨慎地离开
- leave ultimately 最后离开
- leave unceremoniously 无礼地离开
- leave unwillingly 不情愿地离开
- leave voluntarily 自愿地离开
- leave about 乱丢
- leave around 乱放
- leave behind 抛弃,不再往来
- leave down (被)留在下边
- leave in these words 保留这些词句(不要删去)
- leave off 停止,中断
- leave off one's winter clothes 脱去冬衣
- leave off the bad habit 戒除这个坏习惯
- leave off work 下班
- leave out 遗漏,省去,删去,把…排除在外
- leave out a word 漏了一个单词
- leave over 延迟,推迟,剩下
- leave up 任(某物)悬挂着或摆放着
- leave by train 乘火车离开
- leave for 离开…赴…,把…留给(某人)
- leave for England 动身去英国
- leave from station 离开车站
- leave on 使…处于…境地,把…放在…上
- ask leave 请求同意
- ask for leave 请假
- beg leave 请假
- break leave 超假
- cancel sb's leave 取消假期
- desire leave 请求得到允许
- extend sb's leave 延长某人的假期
- get sb's leave 得到许可
- give leave 允许
- go on leave 休假
- grant leave 准假
- have a leave 休假
- obtain leave 获假
- overstay sb's leave 超过假期
- postpone leave 推迟假期
- take leave 告别
- take French leave 不辞而别,擅自离开(行动)
- take one's leave (向…)告别,(从…)离开
- affectionate leave 热情告别
- annual leave 年度休假
- compassionate leave (尤指给军人的奔丧等)私事假
- formal leave 正式告别
- one-year leave 一年的假期
- passionate leave 热情告别
- sick leave 病假
- sorrowful leave 依依惜别
- terminal leave 军官退休前的最后一次假期
Upon which subject I shall beg leave to dwell a little.出自： W. H. Ireland
The young girl gave him gracious leave to accompany her.出自： H. James
Free to say what they like in print without prior leave of the Government.出自： W. S. Churchill
I was left a thousand pounds by an uncle.出自： Addison
My father died a year ago and left me the business.出自： J. Buchan
He made a new will, leaving everything to me.出自： L. Whistler
- on leave的意思是“在休假”。
I leave tomorrow.
I aw leaving tomorrow.
- leave不可以与away搭配，所以不能说leave away；
- leave不能表示“与（朋友）分别”，一般不说It is a month since I left him（他离开我有一个月了。）；
- 句子He left her a watch有三种意思：他遗赠给她一只表，他把一只表交给她保管，他拿走了她的一切，只留下了一只表；
I shall leave the city soon.
He has left for a week.
He left a week ago.
He took his leave yesterday.
They took their leave(s) yesterday.
I've forgotten my umbrella.
- leave, leave for
- leave和leave for意思正相反。leave的意思是“离开(某地)”;leave for作“去(某地)”解。试比较下列两句：
- The delegation left Guangzhou by plane.
- The delegation left for Guangzhou by plane.
- leave, depart
- 1.用作及物动词时, leave为普通用语,表示“离开某地”“退出学校〔社团〕”“辞去职务”等;而depart表示“离开人间”。例如:
- He wanted to go to the toilet, and asked if he could leave the room.他想上厕所,便问是否可以离开这个房间。
- He departed his life.他离开了人世。
- 2.用作不及物动词时, leave常附带说明离开时所使用的交通工具;depart强调运动的出发点,指按计划开出或起程,尤指火车按时刻表出发。例如:
- I'm leaving England and going to live in Spain by airplane.我将乘飞机离开英国去西班牙定居。
- The train departs at 7：30.这列火车上午 7：30 开出。
- The train to Beijing will depart from platform 6 in five minutes.开往北京的火车将于五分钟后从六号站台开出。
- leave, forget, lose
- He lost his nerve and his memory for names.他不知所措且想不起名字来。
- Don't forget your duties.别玩忽职守。
- We mustn't forget our origin.我们不能忘本。
- I clean forgot to ask him about it.我完全忘了向他打听那件事。
- I forgot reading the book.我忘记了以前读过这本书。
- He left his keys in his bed.他把钥匙遗忘在床上了。
- Oh dear! The travelling bag has been left.哎呀!忘拿旅行袋了。
- leave, start
- He left the school at thirteen.他13岁就离开了学校。
- The accountant has threatened to leave.会计曾威胁说要辞职。
- The ship starts.船开了。
- Well,I think we ought to be starting.嗯,我看我们该动身了。
- 3.用作不及物动词时, leave常附带说明离开时所使用的工具,有时还可表示“辞职”。
- leave...to, leave...with
- leave, abandon, desert, forsake, give up, quit
- He abandoned medicine for literature.他弃医从文。
- desert的宾语主要是职责或应尽的义务; forsake的宾语可以是某种宗教信仰或爱好等,也可以是某人曾经一度爱慕或依恋过的人或物。例如:
- She forsook her worldly possessions to devote herself to the church.她抛弃所有而献身教会。
- It's time you left off that childish habit of thought.你该放弃那种孩子似的思维习惯了。
- I would never abandon any friends.我永远不会遗弃我的朋友。
- desert强调背信弃义,违背允诺、誓言或逃避责任,为法律或道德所不容; forsake强调断绝感情上的依恋,含有并不违背法律和道德规范的意味; quit表示突然地、仓促地放弃; give up包含有abandon, quit或leave的意思。
- 3.在原因或动机上, abandon, leave, give up可以是主动的、自愿的,也可以是被迫的、勉强的; quit则是主动的、自愿的,例如:
- I'd had enough, so I quit.我受够了,所以我辞职不干了。
- leave alone, let alone
- Leave〔let〕 that bag alone.It's not yours!别动那个包,那不是你的!
- 1.作“不理〔管〕而听其自然”“不烦扰”解时,多用leave alone; 作“不干涉”解时,多用let alone; 作“更不用说”解时, let alone比leave alone更正式。
- 2.leave alone可用于被动结构; 而let alone不常用于被动结构。
- leave go, let go
- 1.let go后可直接接宾语,也可接of再加宾语;而leave go后必须接of再加宾语。
- 2.let go可用于被动结构,而leave go一般不用于被动结构。
- leave the door open, keep the door open
- Do not leave the door open at night!
- She kept the door open at night to wait for her husband.
- He leaves tomorrow.
- He is leaving tomorrow.
- (现在进行时,按计划或安排行事,含 “最近”之意。)
- He will leave tomorrow.
- We can leave the committee to make the final arrangements.
- We can leave it to the committee to make the final arrangements.
- 第2句中的it指代to make the final arrangements。
- His father left him an orphanage.
- His father's death left him an orphan.
- We left off walking.
- We left off to walk.
- Mr. Smith has left the office.
- Mr. Smith has left office.
- Tom has left the school〔hospital〕.
- Tom has left school〔hospital〕.
- leave, day, festival, holiday, vacation
- 这五个词都有“假日”的意思。其区别在于:holiday来源于宗教的节日、假日,是普通用词,多用于英式英语中,指的是一个人在一年中不干工作的那段时间,也可用来表示一两天的短假期; day表示法定节日,多用于专有名词中; festival指民俗或宗教节日,并含有定期欢度的意味; leave指政府工作人员或军人的假期; vacation用于大学停课放假长达多周的假日或法院停止开庭时间,在美式英语中,凡是较长时间的休假都可用这个词。例如:
- August and September are the months of the year during which most English people take their holidays.一年中8、9两个月是大多数英国人休假的月份。
- We celebrate National Day every year.我们每年都庆祝国庆节。
- Christmas is one of the festivals of the Christian church.圣诞节是基督教的节日之一。
- The soldiers will go home on leave once every two years.士兵们每两年回家休假一次。
- Three vacations occur in the course of the year, viz, two weeks at Christmas, ten days at Easter and the usual two months in summer.一年中有三个假期,即圣诞节两周,复活节十天以及通常的两个月暑假。
误 I haven't got any left money.
正 I haven't got any money left.
误 We're leaving Beijing next month.
正 We're leaving for Beijing next month.
析 leave a place指“离开某个地方”。如表示“去往,动身去…”,就应该说leave for...。我叔叔上周从上海去北京。
误 My uncle left from Shanghai for Beijing last week.
正 My uncle left Shanghai for Beijing last week.
析 leave本身就是depart from的意思,故其后不可再用from。他离开家乡已10年了。
误 He has left his hometown for ten years.
正 He left his hometown ten years ago.
正 It is ten years since he left his hometown.
误 He is not one who will leave anything for chance.
正 He is not one who will leave anything to chance.
析 leave sth to chance表示“听任命运”“任其自然”,其中to不能换成for。剧烈的地震之后,那座城市只剩下一堆废墟。
误 Nothing but ruins was left from the city after the severe earthquake.
正 Nothing but ruins was left of the city after the severe earthquake.
析 表示“某处剩余”“某处余留”时, leave常与of连用。他们走开了,让我一个人独自呆在那儿。
误 They walked off and left me to sit there all by myself.
正 They walked off and left me sitting there all by myself.
析 表示“让…继续处于某种状态”时, leave后面常接分词构成复合宾语。现在分词表示宾语的主动动作,过去分词则表示被动意义或完成意义。约翰现已戒烟。
误 John has left off to smoke now.
正 John has left off smoking now.
析 leave off的宾语可以是 v -ing形式,不可以是动词不定式。Allen has left Taibei for a week.
析 for a week在这里的意思是“一共离开一周”,如表示“已离开一周”,应说Allen left Taibei a week ago.
误 Have you got a leave to come here this afternoon?
正 Have you got leave to come here this afternoon?
误 She plans to go on leave for most of August.
正 She plans to go on vacation for most of August.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的lfan，意为保留，遗留；最初源自原始日耳曼语的laibijan，意为离开。