- 使休息， 使歇息
- [C][U]休息,睡眠 freedom from activity or from sth tiring or worrying
- [U]静止(状态) the condition of not moving
- [C]支持物 a support, especially for the stated thing
- [S]剩余(部分),余下的人〔物〕 what is left, the ones that still remain
- vt. & vi. (使)休息 (allow to) take a rest
- vi. 停止,不再谈论 be discontinued, not be talked about
- vt. & vi. (使)倚靠〔支撑〕 (allow to) lean or be supported
- something left after other parts have been taken away;
"there was no remainder"
"he threw away the rest"
"he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
- freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility);
"took his repose by the swimming pool"
- a pause for relaxation;
"people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
- a state of inaction;
"a body will continue in a state of rest until acted upon"
- euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb);
"she was laid to rest beside her husband"
"they had to put their family pet to sleep"
- a support on which things can be put;
"the gun was steadied on a special rest"
- a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration
- not move; be in a resting position
- take a short break from one's activities in order to relax
- give a rest to;
"He rested his bad leg"
"Rest the dogs for a moment"
- have a place in relation to something else;
"The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"
"The responsibility rests with the Allies"
- be at rest
- stay the same; remain in a certain state;
"The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"
"He remained unmoved by her tears"
"The bad weather continued for another week"
- be inherent or innate in;
- put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying;
"Rest your head on my shoulder"
- sit, as on a branch;
"The birds perched high in the tree"
- rest on or as if on a pillow;
"pillow your head"
- be inactive, refrain from acting;
"The committee is resting over the summer"
- We'll eat some of the bread and keep the rest for breakfast.
- You look tired. You need a good rest.
- A rest shall be placed at the end of a row of books to keep them upright.
- When the song came to a rest, she paused for a while.
- It would be nice to sit down and rest for a while.
- Rest the ladder against the wall.
- His chin rested on his hands.
- His brown eyes rested on her for a moment.
- The original manuscript rests in the museum.
- How could a country rest its security on such promises?
- The whole argument rests on a false assumption.
- He urged the council not to let the matter rest.
- She was laid to rest beside her late husband.
Sunday is a day of rest.
She needs rest after her long illness.
You need a good night's rest.
Give it a rest, can't you?
The ball rolled down the hill and came to rest at the bottom.
The medicine gave the sick man a short rest from pain.
Wrestling desperately with the controls, the pilot finally managed to bring his aircraft to rest in a cornfield.
This wall will do as a rest for your camera .
Take what you want and throw the rest away .
If you give five dollars, they will make up the rest.
She lived the rest of her life in Vienna.
The rest of the old man was happy.
The rest of the clan thinks the uniform is only fit for a barbarian or a man of the lowest class.
Some agree with Jim, but the rest of us agree with Sam.
The rest needs no telling.
The rest are to wait for us.
He's only got one shirt, because all the rest (of them) are being washed.
Is he resting any better today?
You'll feel better after you've rested.
We just want to rest during the summer vacation.
Tired after walking,I sat down on a rock to rest.
The hikers rested a while.
To one side of the road rested three trucks.
He is too feverish to rest.
I could not rest under the imputation.
Never let your enemy rest.
She couldn't rest easy until her daughter was back.
The matter cannot rest here.
The waves in the sea roll day and night.They never rest.
The police said they wouldn't rest until all the criminals were caught.
The sleds rested at the bottom of the hill.
My mother rests an hour every afternoon.
The murder rested a mystery.
We can't rest easy until they're safely back.
Rest assured that misbehaviour will not go unpunished.
She rested herself there for a long time.
You must rest your soldier after a march.
We stopped to rest the horses.
These sunglasses rest my eyes.
She was obliged to lie down every day after dinner to rest her legs.
Halfway up the mountain we stopped to rest our feet.
I want to leave London—and rest my brain.
The defence rested its case without presenting a single witness.
I rest my case, my lord.
It rests me to watch to kids play skip rope.
- at rest
静止,不动 not moving
Measure the mass of the body while it is at rest. 测量物体在静止时的质量。
The sails of the windmill are now at rest. 风车的帆叶现在静止不动了。
安息 rest in peace
The poor man is now at rest. 那个可怜的人现在已经安息。
- 静止,不动 not moving
- for the rest
至于其他,除此之外 as far as other matters are concerned; apart from that
Ensure that our traditional markets are looked after; for the rest,I am not much concerned. 一定要满足我们传统市场的需要,其他方面倒无所谓。
- 至于其他,除此之外 as far as other matters are concerned; apart from that
- go to one's rest
安息,长眠 go to sleep forever
The poor man went to his rest under the earth. 这个可怜的人长眠于地下。
Lucy Passmore has gone to her rest beneath the Atlantic waves. 露丝·帕斯莫尔长眠于大西洋海底。
- 安息,长眠 go to sleep forever
- go to rest
就寝,去睡觉 go to bed
It is time to go to rest. 该休息了。
- 就寝,去睡觉 go to bed
- lay to rest
安葬 bury sb
She was laid to rest beside her late husband. 她安葬在亡夫的身旁。
I'm glad that ridiculous plan has finally been laid to rest. 我很高兴那个可笑的计划终于被取消了。
- 安葬 bury sb
- take〔have〕 a rest
休息一下 take freedom from activity or from sth tiring or worrying
Let's sit down and have a rest. 让我们坐下来休息一会儿吧。
I'm tired. Let's take a rest. 我累了,咱们休息一会儿吧。
Let's go to the waiting room and take a rest. 我们到候车室去休息一下吧。
- 休息一下 take freedom from activity or from sth tiring or worrying
- take (one's) rest
就寝,睡觉 go to bed
My aunt always takes her rest at nine. 我姑妈平时总是九点去睡。
I often take rest at ten o'clock. 我通常在10点就寝。
- 就寝,睡觉 go to bed
- rest against (v.+prep.)
(使)靠在…之上,由某物支撑 (cause to) lean against; be supported by (sth) rest against sth
Her cheek came to rest against my shoulder.她的脸靠在我的肩上。rest sth against sth
Rest the ladder against the wall.把梯子靠在墙上。
He rested his back against the schoolroom door.他把背靠在教室的门上。
- (使)靠在…之上,由某物支撑 (cause to) lean against; be supported by (sth) rest against sth
- rest from (v.+prep.)
停下…休息 stop working after (work); change one's activity to sth such different or less tiring than (sth) rest from sth
You need to rest from your labours, you look very tired.你的样子很疲劳,需要放下工作休息一下。rest sth from sth/v-ing
Rest my voice from much talking.讲话过多之后让我的嗓子休息一下。
- 停下…休息 stop working after (work); change one's activity to sth such different or less tiring than (sth) rest from sth
- rest in (v.+prep.)
(使)舒服地躺在,睡在或长眠于…中 (cause to) lie in comfort, sleep, or death in (sth such as furniture, the ground, or a state) rest in sth
It was so comfortable resting in his arms.躺在他的怀抱里真是舒服。
My father is dead, may he rest in peace.我父亲去世了,愿他安息吧。rest sb/oneself/sth in sth
Let us rest his body in his family grave.我们把他的遗体安放在他的祖坟中吧。
Some villagers were resting themselves in the shade.一些村民正在阴凉处休息。
产生于…,归因于…,在于 have as the chief or only element rest in sth
A good share of the answer rested in the kind of pride that is stimulated by the job, by the activity of accomplishing.答案很大程度上在于工作和成就所激发出来的那种自豪。
把…赋予,交与 give (sth such as power) to (sb) rest sth in sb
The nation rests too much power in the President.国家赋予总统的权力过大了。
寄…于 place (faith, trust, etc.) in (sb/sth) rest sth in sb/sth
The teachers always say that the country rests its hope in us, so we should not let the people down.老师常对我们说,国家寄希望于我们,因此我们不应当让人民失望。
I have always rested complete faith in your ability to deal with matters of sudden urgency.对于你的应变能力,我向来是完全信任的。
- (使)舒服地躺在,睡在或长眠于…中 (cause to) lie in comfort, sleep, or death in (sth such as furniture, the ground, or a state) rest in sth
- rest on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
搁在〔支撑在〕…上 lean on; be supported by rest on〔upon〕 sth
Her elbows were resting on the table.她的两肘倚在桌上。
The bridge rests on stone arches.这座桥由石拱支撑。
依赖于,寄托于…上,基于 depend on; rely on rest on〔upon〕 sth
The plan rests on your cooperation.这项计划有赖于你的合作。
All their hopes rested upon this venture.他们的一切希望都寄托在这次冒险上。
One theory about the existence of extraterrestrial life rests on the presence of carbon compounds in meteorites.地球外存在生命的理论是基于陨星上存在碳化合物质这一事实的。
The industry in Britain rests on a broad and firm base.英国的工业有广泛坚实的基础。
Keats' reputation as a great poet rests largely upon the odes and the later sonnets.作为一个伟大的诗人,济慈的声誉大部分建立在他写的长诗和后期的十四行诗上。
Our policy should rest on the basis of self-reliance.我们的政策是放在自力更生的基础上。rest sth on〔upon〕 sb
The poor mother rests all her hope upon her son.这位可怜的母亲把她所有的希望寄托在儿子身上。
Her parents have three children, but two of them are good for nothing.They rest all their hopes on her.她父母有三个子女,但是其中的两个都一事无成。他们只好把希望都寄托在她身上。
接触到,达到或朝向; (使)落在…上 (cause to) touch, reach, descend; be directed towards (sth) rest on〔upon〕 sth
His eyes rested on the peaceful valley below.他的目光落在下面宁静的山谷中。rest sth on〔upon〕 sth
It's good to rest one's eyes on such a beautiful view.观看这样的美景使人赏心悦目。
- 搁在〔支撑在〕…上 lean on; be supported by rest on〔upon〕 sth
- rest up (v.+adv.)
休养,休息 have a complete rest as from illness or weakness rest up
I think I'll just rest up for an hour or two before starting work again.我看我还是好好休息一两个小时再开始工作吧。
- 休养,休息 have a complete rest as from illness or weakness rest up
- rest with (v.+prep.)
在于,取决于 be left in the hands or charge of sb rest with sb
The burden rests with me.这副重担归我承担。
The ultimate responsibility rests with the President.最终的责任由总裁来承担。
The management of affairs rests with Wolsey.沃尔西负责管理事务。
Putting the children to bed rests with the baby-sitter.让孩子上床睡觉是保姆负责的事。
The fate of this prisoner rests with the judge.这个犯人的命运掌握在法官手里。
Any further investigation rests with the supervisor.任何进一步的调查要由主管人去做。
It rests with you to propose terms.要由你来提出条件。
Whether the talks are successful or not rests with a small number of people.会谈能否成功取决于少数人。
- 在于,取决于 be left in the hands or charge of sb rest with sb
- come to rest 静止下来,停止移动
- enjoy a rest 享受休息
- get a rest 休息一下
- give sb no rest 不让某人休息
- have a rest 休息一下
- have a good night's rest 一夜睡得很好
- hope for a rest 希望休息
- make a rest 休息一会儿
- need a rest 需要休息
- obtain a rest 得到休息
- retire to rest 去休息,去睡
- snatch a rest 抓紧时间休息一下
- take a rest 休息一会儿
- take one's rest 就寝
- destroy the rest (of) 毁坏了(…的)其余部分
- do the rest of 做(…的)其余部分
- keep the rest for oneself 自己保留其余的部分
- know the rest of 知道〔了解〕…的其余部分
- take the rest (of) 拿走(…的)其余部分
- a little rest 稍事休息
- active rest 积极的休息
- comfortable rest 舒舒服服的休息
- complete rest 完全休息
- good rest 痛痛快快地休息一会儿
- momentary rest 临时休息,暂短的休息
- passive rest 消极的休息
- short rest 短暂的休息
- some rest 休息一会儿
- well-earned rest 应得的休息
- after a rest 休息一会儿后
- at rest 平静,安静
- at parade rest (军队口令)稍息
- an hour for rest 一小时的休息时间
- without any rest 不曾休息
- rest for sailors 海员之家
- rest for telephone receiver 电话听筒的托架
- rest for telescope 望远镜的支架
- rest from … 后的休息
- rest well 休息得好
- rest completely 完全静止
- rest entirely 彻底休息
- rest firmly 固定休息
- rest fully 充分休息
- rest heavily 沉重地负担
- rest listlessly 无精打采地休息
- rest mainly 主要依靠
- rest quietly 安静地休息
- rest solely 完全依靠
- rest ultimately 最后依靠
- rest unsoundly 静静地休息
- rest up a little 休息一会儿
And post o'er Land and Ocean without rest.出自：Milton
From toilsome life to never-ending rest.出自：W. Cowper
We ascended.., often stopping for a rest.出自：S. Bellow
One..reads a paper, and the rest discuss it.出自：R. G. Collingwood
The rest of the flat cart was filled with hens.出自：Day Lewis
They are only human, like the rest of us.出自：Jan Morris
Both met women who were to fashion the rest of their lives.出自：W. M. Clarke
Let her rest in peace.出自：C. Kingsley
Mother would rest easier in her grave, knowing it was guarded.出自：F. O
My Lord, I rest your servant.出自：Henry VIII,Shakespeare
Rest assured that the more wise..you are, the happier you will be.出自：B. Jowett
Folks can..rest sure that their money is well spent.出自：K. Gibbons
- the rest作“其余的”“剩余的”解时,在句中作主语代替可数名词时,谓语动词用复数形式; 代替不可数名词时,谓语动词用单数形式。
- rest不能用作定语修饰其他名词,若表示“余下的…东西”,须用the rest of结构。
- take (one's) rest, have〔take〕 a rest
- rest, repose
这两个词都可表示“休息”。其区别是：rest为普通用词,指劳作之后的放松过程; repose为正式用语,并不一定含有劳作后的放松过程的意味。例如:Don't disturb her repose.不要吵醒她。
- rest, remainder, remains, residue
这组词都有“剩余”的意思。其区别是：remains指某物已用掉或毁掉一部分后的剩余部分或残余部分; remainder着重指作了扣除之后剩下的东西,也可指算术中的差数或余数; residue指某一过程中的残余物,尤指在化学反应中; rest表示在原有总体上剩下来的人或事物。例如:Take five from eight and the remainder is three. 8减5余3。Twenty of us went to reap wheat and the remainder worked in the cotton fields.我们之中20人去割麦,其余人在棉花田劳动。Mary scraped the residue of food from the plates before putting them under water.玛丽在把盘子放入水之前先刮去上面的食物残渣。There is a green residue in the bottom of the test tube.试管底部有绿色的沉淀物。Keep the rest for yourself.剩下的都给你了。
- rest on, rest with
这两个短语意思不同:rest on的意思是“依靠,依赖”, rest with的意思是“在于,取决于”。例如:Science rests on observation.科学要靠观察。The decision rests with you.决策由你负责定夺。
- break rest pause interval recess cease stop end
- comfort ease leisure relaxation relief rest
误 The school will be rest tomorrow.
正 There will be no lessons tomorrow.
误 Only two students remain in the classroom, and the rest has gone to the library.
正 and the rest have gone to the library.
析 the rest表示“其余的”,当它用作主语时,其谓语动词用单数还是用复数,要根据the rest所指的内容来定。句中的the rest等于the rest of the students,其中students是复数,因此谓语动词要用复数形式。
误 The mistake still rests uncorrected.
正 The mistake rests uncorrected.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的rste，意为休息，劳动间歇；最初源自古北欧语的rasjto。
- restful adj. 平静的,悠闲的,让人得到休息的
- rest:概念准则 REST(Representational State Transfer)是一种针对网络应用的设计和开发方式，可以降低开发的复杂性，提高系统的可伸缩性。REST提出了一些设计概念和准则：1…