- 轻声的,无声的,安静的 with little or no sound; not noisy or loud
- 不动的,静止的; 平静的,安定的 with little or no movement or disturbance
- 无感情波动的,无干扰的 without excitement, activity or interruption
- 文静的,温和的,温顺的 gentle; not forceful
- 克制的,不大声表达的 restrained; not expressed loudly
- 不鲜艳的,暗淡的 not bright
- vt. & vi. (使)变平静 (make) become quiet
- vt. 使缓解,使减轻 make less severe
- [U]安静,寂静,宁静 the state of being quiet; quietness
- a period of calm weather;
"there was a lull in the storm"
- an untroubled state; free from disturbances
- the absence of sound;
"he needed silence in order to sleep"
"the street was quiet"
- a disposition free from stress or emotion
- characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity;
"a quiet life"
"a quiet throng of onlookers"
"quiet peace-loving people"
"the factions remained quiet for almost 10 years"
- free of noise or uproar; or making little if any sound;
"a quiet audience at the concert"
"the room was dark and quiet"
- not showy or obtrusive;
"clothes in quiet good taste"
- in a softened tone;
"a subdued whisper"
"a quiet reprimand"
- (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves;
"a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"
"the quiet waters of a lagoon"
"a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"
"a smooth channel crossing"
"scarcely a ripple on the still water"
- of the sun characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sunspots e.g.
- with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly');
"her hands rested quietly in her lap"
"the rock star was quietly led out the back door"
"sit here as quiet as you can"
- become quiet or quieter;
"The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
- make calm or still;
"quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- Please keep quiet while others are studying.
- His health has turned all the better for him after a quiet holiday abroad.
- Everything was quiet under the blinking stars.
- Leave me alone. I just want some peace and quiet.
- There was such a world of hereditary quiet in her.
- The cure for this lies in admitting the part of sane and quiet enjoyment in a balanced ideal of life.
- He was the bard of the farmers and workers of New England and his quiet verse mirrored the staid New Hampshire countryside.
- I am well aware that nothing else will quiet Tom.
- The principal tried to quiet the students.
- When he quieted down, I began to tell him the truth.
It was a warm, quiet, drowsy afternoon.
It is in a quiet, desirable neighborhood that they live.
He lived in a quiet village near the sea.
It's a quiet street.
The quiet decor of her home made her feel comfortable and at ease.
My parents are quiet people.They never go out in the evening.
The children's quiet behaviour was unusual.
Can I have a quiet word with you?
He may have domestic problems; I'll have a quiet word with him.
Be quiet!I'm telephoning.
Everything was quiet.
The downstairs rooms are not as quiet as the upstairs ones.
There was no wind and everything was quiet.
She put her finger to her lips as a sign to be quiet.
She is quiet in her demeanor.
I've decided to resign but I'd prefer you to keep quiet about it.
It was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.
They came back quiet and cheerless.
The principal tried to quiet the students.
Boon walked in and quieted the engine.
The aspirin seems to quiet the headache.
He quieted my suspicions.
The frightened child was quieted by his mother.
The crying boy must be quieted.
Quiet is requested for the benefit of those who have retired.
He had a bad headache and needed quiet.
I enjoy the quiet of the country.
There was peace and quiet for some time after this storm.
He spent a whole month just kicking around the countryside, enjoying the peace and quiet.
His letter disturbed my quiet.
I'd like a few hours of quiet after the day's work.
In the quiet of studio it sounded like a pistol shot.
Quiet was restored throughout the town.
- as quiet as a mouse〔grave〕
非常宁静 very quiet
Tina is as quiet as a mouse—you hardly know she's there. 蒂娜很文静——你几乎不知道她在那儿。
There's usually something going on in town, although it's as quiet as the grave on a Sunday evening. 通常镇上总有一些活动在进行,然而星期日的夜晚却很寂静。
- 非常宁静 very quiet
- quiet down (v.+adv.)
(使)安静,(使)平静 (cause to) become calmer; stop quiet down
The city quieted down after the disturbances.骚乱过后,这座城市平静了。
Things quieted down and all around was still.万物逐渐安静下来,四周一片寂静。
The storm quieted down.暴风雨停了。
The excitement is quieting down.兴奋的情绪渐渐平静下来。quiet sb/oneself/sth ⇔ down
You should quiet the children down.你应该让孩子们静下来。
He quieted himself down.他很快让自己平静下来。
See if you can quiet the dog down, it's annoying the neighbours with its noise.看你是否能使狗安静下来,它吵得左邻右舍都不安宁。
- (使)安静,(使)平静 (cause to) become calmer; stop quiet down
- at quiet
安定地 stably; quietly
After the war, the villagers lived at quiet for many years. 战后村民们安定地生活了好些年。
He began to grow more at quiet with himself. 他开始变得比较安定了。
- 安定地 stably; quietly
- on the quiet
悄悄地,偷偷地,秘密地 secretly; unobtrusively
They went and got married on the quiet.No one knew about it. 他们走了,并且悄悄地结了婚,谁也不知道这事。
We thought he was working in the other room, but he was just having a cigarette on the quiet. 我们以为他在另一个房间里干活,而他却在那里偷偷地抽烟。
I don't mind telling you on the quiet that I have just been left five thousand pounds. 我可以悄悄地告诉你,我刚刚得到5000英镑遗产。
- 悄悄地,偷偷地,秘密地 secretly; unobtrusively
- quiet sb's suspicions 消除某人的疑虑
- quiet the engine 使发动机熄火
- quiet the headache 使头痛减轻
- quiet the students 让学生们安静下来
- quiet from 使平静
Why is not the nation's quiet secured?出自：Burke
The little girls fall quiet: terror silences them.出自：F. Weldon
Had the class been quieter and more orderly it might have been easier.出自：U. Bentley
Medicinal sherry to quiet his nerves.出自：G. Santayana
- quiet, calm, peaceful, silent, still
这组形容词的共同意思是“安静”“平静”“寂静”。其区别在于:1.在修饰环境时各词所指的状态为:calm指风平浪静; peaceful指没有战争或骚乱; quiet指没有吵闹干扰; still指完全没有声音。例如:The sea was calm yesterday.昨天海水是平静的。Countries should settle their disputes by peaceful means.各国应通过和平手段解决他们的争端。Differences among them could have been reconciled by them through peaceful consultations.他们中间的分歧本来可以由他们和平协商调解。He had a bad headache and needed being quiet.他头疼得厉害,需要安静。Everything was deadly still.万籁俱寂。2.在修饰人时:calm指人心平气和,毫不激动; peaceful表示“安详的”“温和的”; quiet指性情温和、安静等,有时也指人的闲散或不活动; still指“一动不动”; silent侧重“沉默”“不说话”,但不一定不动。例如:The teacher is peaceful when the student appeared.当这个学生出现时,这个老师很温和。We should keep quiet in the hospital.在医院里我们应该保持安静。His hands were never still.他的双手一刻也不停。We've been silent for too long. It's time to speak out.我们沉默得太久了,现在是大胆地发表意见的时候了。She sat silent in her own room.她在自己的房间里一动不动地坐着。
- at quiet, in quiet, on the quiet
这三个短语意思并不相同:at quiet的意思是“安定地”; in quiet的意思是“安静地”; 而on the quiet的意思是“秘密地”。
- quiet, quietness, quietude
这三个词都可作“寂静,平静,清静”解。其区别在于:quiet表示事物的状态或气氛; quietness指人或物所展示出来的一种品质; quietude则表示人的习惯。例如:After a busy week in London, he looked forward to the peace and quiet of his country home.在伦敦忙碌了一周之后,他渴望乡下家里宁静的生活氛围。We were surprised at the quietness of his manner and gentleness of speech.我们为他那文静的举止和亲切的话语而感到惊讶。Quietude is out of fashion in these days.如今清静不流行了。
- quiet calm silent still noiseless peaceful serene
误 Please sit quietly in your seats.
正 Please sit quiet in your seats.
误 The old man doesn't like to sit quietly.
正 The old man doesn't like to sit quiet.
误 He lives in a silent street.
正 He lives in a quiet street.
析 silent主要指“不出声”“缄默的”, quiet主要指“没有吵闹和骚乱”的一种安静状态。
误 She was a quite girl in school.
正 She was a quiet girl in school.
- ☆ 1300左年右进入英语，直接源自古法语的quiete；最初源自古典拉丁语的quies，意为休息，安静的。
- adj.(形容词) calm noiseless silent soundless speechless pacific peaceful restful stable stationary gentle mild steady
- v.(动词) calm
- n.(名词) calmness ease peace rest silence
- quiet:quiet adj. 静止的, 宁静的, 从容的n. 安静, 闲适vi. 平静下来vt. 使平静, 使安心, 减轻(疑虑、恐惧等) 英英解释:名词quiet:1. a period of calm w…