- adj. 安静的；宁静的；平静的
- n. 安静；平静；闲适
- vt. 使平静；使安心
- vi. 平静下来
- 轻声的,无声的,安静的 with little or no sound; not noisy or loud
- 不动的,静止的; 平静的,安定的 with little or no movement or disturbance
- 无感情波动的,无干扰的 without excitement, activity or interruption
- 文静的,温和的,温顺的 gentle; not forceful
- 克制的,不大声表达的 restrained; not expressed loudly
- 不鲜艳的,暗淡的 not bright
- vt. & vi. (使)变平静 (make) become quiet
- vt. 使缓解,使减轻 make less severe
- [U]安静,寂静,宁静 the state of being quiet; quietness
a period of calm weather;
"there was a lull in the storm"
an untroubled state; free from disturbances
the absence of sound;
"he needed silence in order to sleep"
"the street was quiet"
a disposition free from stress or emotion
characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity;
"a quiet life"
"a quiet throng of onlookers"
"quiet peace-loving people"
"the factions remained quiet for almost 10 years"
free of noise or uproar; or making little if any sound;
"a quiet audience at the concert"
"the room was dark and quiet"
not showy or obtrusive;
"clothes in quiet good taste"
in a softened tone;
"a subdued whisper"
"a quiet reprimand"
(of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves;
"a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"
"the quiet waters of a lagoon"
"a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"
"a smooth channel crossing"
"scarcely a ripple on the still water"
of the sun characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sunspots e.g.
with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly');
"her hands rested quietly in her lap"
"the rock star was quietly led out the back door"
"sit here as quiet as you can"
become quiet or quieter;
"The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
make calm or still;
"quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- When you are in a library, you must be quiet.
- Please keep quiet while others are studying.
- His health has turned all the better for him after a quiet holiday abroad.
- Everything was quiet under the blinking stars.
- Leave me alone. I just want some peace and quiet.
- There was such a world of hereditary quiet in her.
- The cure for this lies in admitting the part of sane and quiet enjoyment in a balanced ideal of life.
- He was the bard of the farmers and workers of New England and his quiet verse mirrored the staid New Hampshire countryside.
- I am well aware that nothing else will quiet Tom.
- The principal tried to quiet the students.
- When he quieted down, I began to tell him the truth.
- It was a warm, quiet, drowsy afternoon.
- It is in a quiet, desirable neighborhood that they live.
- He lived in a quiet village near the sea.
- It's a quiet street.
- The quiet decor of her home made her feel comfortable and at ease.
- My parents are quiet people.They never go out in the evening.
- The children's quiet behaviour was unusual.
- Can I have a quiet word with you?
- He may have domestic problems; I'll have a quiet word with him.
- Be quiet!I'm telephoning.
- Everything was quiet.
- The downstairs rooms are not as quiet as the upstairs ones.
- There was no wind and everything was quiet.
- She put her finger to her lips as a sign to be quiet.
- She is quiet in her demeanor.
- I've decided to resign but I'd prefer you to keep quiet about it.
- It was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.
- They came back quiet and cheerless.
- The principal tried to quiet the students.
- Boon walked in and quieted the engine.
- The aspirin seems to quiet the headache.
- He quieted my suspicions.
- The frightened child was quieted by his mother.
- The crying boy must be quieted.
- Quiet is requested for the benefit of those who have retired.
- He had a bad headache and needed quiet.
- I enjoy the quiet of the country.
- There was peace and quiet for some time after this storm.
- He spent a whole month just kicking around the countryside, enjoying the peace and quiet.
- His letter disturbed my quiet.
- I'd like a few hours of quiet after the day's work.
- In the quiet of studio it sounded like a pistol shot.
- Quiet was restored throughout the town.
- as quiet as a mouse〔grave〕
非常宁静 very quiet
- quiet down (v.+adv.)
(使)安静,(使)平静 (cause to) become calmer; stop
The city quieted down after the disturbances.
Things quieted down and all around was still.
The storm quieted down.
The excitement is quieting down.
兴奋的情绪渐渐平静下来。quiet sb/oneself/sth ⇔ down
You should quiet the children down.
He quieted himself down.
See if you can quiet the dog down, it's annoying the neighbours with its noise.
- at quiet
安定地 stably; quietly
- on the quiet
悄悄地,偷偷地,秘密地 secretly; unobtrusively
- quiet sb's suspicions 消除某人的疑虑
- quiet the engine 使发动机熄火
- quiet the headache 使头痛减轻
- quiet the students 让学生们安静下来
- quiet from 使平静
Why is not the nation's quiet secured?出自： Burke
The little girls fall quiet: terror silences them.出自： F. Weldon
Had the class been quieter and more orderly it might have been easier.出自： U. Bentley
Medicinal sherry to quiet his nerves.出自： G. Santayana
- quiet, calm, peaceful, silent, still
- 1.在修饰环境时各词所指的状态为:calm指风平浪静; peaceful指没有战争或骚乱; quiet指没有吵闹干扰; still指完全没有声音。例如:
- The sea was calm yesterday.昨天海水是平静的。
- Countries should settle their disputes by peaceful means.各国应通过和平手段解决他们的争端。
- Differences among them could have been reconciled by them through peaceful consultations.他们中间的分歧本来可以由他们和平协商调解。
- He had a bad headache and needed being quiet.他头疼得厉害,需要安静。
- Everything was deadly still.万籁俱寂。
- 2.在修饰人时:calm指人心平气和,毫不激动; peaceful表示“安详的”“温和的”; quiet指性情温和、安静等,有时也指人的闲散或不活动; still指“一动不动”; silent侧重“沉默”“不说话”,但不一定不动。例如:
- The teacher is peaceful when the student appeared.当这个学生出现时,这个老师很温和。
- We should keep quiet in the hospital.在医院里我们应该保持安静。
- His hands were never still.他的双手一刻也不停。
- We've been silent for too long. It's time to speak out.我们沉默得太久了,现在是大胆地发表意见的时候了。
- She sat silent in her own room.她在自己的房间里一动不动地坐着。
- at quiet, in quiet, on the quiet
- 这三个短语意思并不相同:at quiet的意思是“安定地”; in quiet的意思是“安静地”; 而on the quiet的意思是“秘密地”。
- quiet, quietness, quietude
- 这三个词都可作“寂静,平静,清静”解。其区别在于:quiet表示事物的状态或气氛; quietness指人或物所展示出来的一种品质; quietude则表示人的习惯。例如:
- After a busy week in London, he looked forward to the peace and quiet of his country home.在伦敦忙碌了一周之后,他渴望乡下家里宁静的生活氛围。
- We were surprised at the quietness of his manner and gentleness of speech.我们为他那文静的举止和亲切的话语而感到惊讶。
- Quietude is out of fashion in these days.如今清静不流行了。
误 Please sit quietly in your seats.
正 Please sit quiet in your seats.这位老人不喜欢静静地坐着。
误 The old man doesn't like to sit quietly.
正 The old man doesn't like to sit quiet.
误 He lives in a silent street.
正 He lives in a quiet street.
析 silent主要指“不出声”“缄默的”, quiet主要指“没有吵闹和骚乱”的一种安静状态。她上学时是一个文静的姑娘。
误 She was a quite girl in school.
正 She was a quiet girl in school.
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的quiete；最初源自古典拉丁语的quies，意为休息，安静的。
- steady v.
- calm n.