- [the B-]【天】天秤座
- [U]平衡,均衡 a state in which all weights and forces are evenly spread, so as to produce a condition of steadiness
- [C]天平,秤 an instrument for weighing things
- [C]结存,结余,余额 an amount that remains or is left over
- vt. & vi. (使)平衡,(使)均衡 put sth in such a way that it does not fall down
- vt. 权衡; 比较 weigh; compare two objects, plans, etc. in order to judge the relative weight, value, etc.
- vi. 结账 record the sum needed to make them equal
- a state of equilibrium
- equality between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design);
"in all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance"
- equality of distribution
- something left after other parts have been taken away;
"there was no remainder"
"he threw away the rest"
"he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
- the difference between the totals of the credit and debit sides of an account
- (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Libra
- the seventh sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about September 23 to October 22
- (mathematics) an attribute of a shape or relation; exact reflection of form on opposite sides of a dividing line or plane
- a weight that balances another weight
- a wheel that regulates the rate of movement in a machine; especially a wheel oscillating against the hairspring of a timepiece to regulate its beat
- a scale for weighing; depends on pull of gravity
- bring into balance or equilibrium;
"She has to balance work and her domestic duties"
"balance the two weights"
- compute credits and debits of an account
- hold or carry in equilibrium
- be in equilibrium;
"He was balancing on one foot"
- The girl lost her balance and fell off the balance beam.
- Great care must be taken in the use of the balance.
- He used a very sensitive torsion balance.
- Sunday is a great time to balance out whatever area of your life has felt disordered as of late.
- We need to maintain some semblance of balance and some sense that we are steering the ship of our life.
- Kindly remit us the balance without delay .
- In other words, the balance of trade may deteriorate rather than improve.
- The balance of the shade and the sun on the tree-trunks and on the ground is beautiful beyond words.
- EBN is balance in Yin and Yang, sweet and mild, making it a surprisingly pleasant medicinal food.
- The balance of terror has replaced the balance of power.
- Locke's ideas on the power balance are still inspiring in modem societies.
- You have to balance the advantages of living in a big city against the disadvantages.
- This year's profits will balance our previous losses.
- The dancer could balance on one toe.
- The aviator warped a wing tip to regain balance.
I found it hard to keep my balance on the icy path.
We try to strike a balance between justice and mercy.
She temporarily lost her balance during the long months of solitude.
The balance of evidence lies against her.
Weigh that loaf of bread on the balance, please.
My bank balance isn't very large.
I'd like to take the balance of my holidays in September.
When you learn to ride a bicycle you must learn to balance.
He tried to balance on one foot.
The dancer could balance on one toe.
My accounts balance.
The company's accounts did not balance.
Income and expenditures exactly balance.
Can you balance yourself on skates?
Can you balance a coin on its edge?
He balanced the two rocks in his hands.
We must balance the good and evil of things.
The weight here balances the weight there.
A child's exercise and rest should balance each other.
A government's revenue and expenditure should be balanced.
- in the balance
悬而未决,犹豫 in a state of uncertainty
The future of the nations hangs in the balance. 国家的前途安危未卜。
- 悬而未决,犹豫 in a state of uncertainty
- on balance
全面考虑之后,总的说来 when everything has been considered
I think on balance I prefer the old system. 总的说来,我觉得自己更喜欢旧体制。
- 全面考虑之后,总的说来 when everything has been considered
- balance against (v. + prep.)
使抵消,均衡 weigh sth against sth balance sth against sth
We must balance his good qualities against his faults.我们应该用他的优点来抵消他的缺点。
We balance the benefits against the costs of medical insurance.我们把医疗保险的好处与其开支加以权衡。
He balanced a trip to the mountains against the chance of a summer job.他把去山里旅行与夏季打工的机会作了比较。
She balanced the attractions of high salary against the prospect of working long hours.她权衡高工资和工作时间长这两方面的利益。
- 使抵消,均衡 weigh sth against sth balance sth against sth
- balance out (v. + adv.)
相等,平衡,比得上 be equal weight balance out
I hope that the figures for income and costs balance out.我希望收支平衡。
At the end of the year the accounts balance out.年终时,账上正好收支平衡。balance sth ⇔ out
The advantages of having a car and the money it costs balance each other out.有汽车的好处与买汽车的破费相互抵偿了。
The enthusiasm of your side and the determination of the other balance each other out.你们劲头十足,对方决心很大,两者不相上下。
- 相等,平衡,比得上 be equal weight balance out
- balance with (v. + prep.)
使(一方)抵消; 均衡(另一方) weigh (sth) against (sth else); consider (sth) in relation to (usually sth opposite) balance with sth
The punishment did not balance with the offense.惩罚与罪过不相称。
The total of the figures should balance with that one in the third column.这些数字的总和应和第三栏的总和保持平衡。
- 使(一方)抵消; 均衡(另一方) weigh (sth) against (sth else); consider (sth) in relation to (usually sth opposite) balance with sth
- achieve balance 获得平衡
- acquire balance 获得平衡
- collect the balance 收取余款
- disturb the balance 打乱平衡
- keep balance 保持平衡
- lose one's balance 失去平衡
- maintain balance 保持平衡
- make up the balance 补足差额
- recover the balance 恢复平衡
- refund the balance 补偿差额
- regain the balance 恢复平衡
- restore the balance 恢复平衡
- strike a balance 结算账目
- throw off one's balance 失去平衡
- upset the balance 打乱平衡
- analytical balance 分析天平
- favorable balance 顺差,出超
- international balances 国际平衡
- perfect balance 恰到好处
- strategic balance 战略平衡
- unfavorable balance 逆差,入超
- balance beam (体操的)平衡木
- balance accurately 准确地衡量
- balance cautiously 慎重地权衡
- balance dexterously 娴熟地保持平衡
- balance equally 均衡
- balance eventually 最终平衡
- balance exactly 恰好相抵
- balance both physically and mentally 从身心双方面权衡
- balance off 抵消
- balance out 抵消掉
- balance up 相抗衡
The balance is held in my constituency by the tradesmen and shopkeepers.出自：G. B. Shaw
I balanced all, brought all to mind, The years to come seemed waste of breath.sssss J. le Carr&eacusc;出自：ssssYeats
- 美国人习惯用the balance表示“其余”，而英国人则习惯用the remainder或the rest来表示。
- balance还可作“天平,秤”解,引申可表示“平衡力,制衡作用,抵消作用”。balance也可作“结存,结余,余额”解,指财务上的收支差额或余额。在美式英语中the balance可作“残余,余额”解。
- 表示“一副天平”，可说a balance，也可说a pair of balance。表示“用天平称某物”可接介词in或on。
- balance, compensate, counterbalance, counterpoise, countervail, offset
这组词都可表示“赔偿,弥补”。其区别是：compensate表示“赔偿”,意思最广泛,可以指补偿损失、酬报劳役、弥补缺陷等; countervail表示“补偿”，强调在能力或效率方面可以抵消已造成的影响、伤害或损失。balance表示“弥补”,指相互调节,以达到在数量、质量、大小、重要性或效率等方面的平衡或均衡; offset表示“弥补”,强调在善与恶、得与失、赢与亏等方面的均衡; counterbalance表示“弥补”“抵消”,多指弥补不足之处; counterpoise表示“抵消”“均衡”,指提供相同的重量或相等的价值等。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的banalce，意为天平，秤；最初源自拉丁语的binalx：bi (双） + nalx (盘子），意为有双盘的度量衡。
- balance:balance n. 秤, 天平, 平衡, [商] 收支差额, 结余, 余额v. 平衡, 称, 权衡, 对比, 结算n. 资产平稳表习惯用语in the balance （命运）未定，在危急中；不确定…