- [C]画,图片,照片 a painting or drawing; a photograph
- [S](生动的)描述,写照 account or description of sth that enables one to form a mental picture or impression of it
- [C]影片,电影,画面 a cinema film; what is seen on a television or cinema screen
- [S]美景,景色 beautiful object, scene, person, etc.
- [S]情况,事态,局面 a situation
- vt. 绘画; 描绘 draw or paint; make a picture of
- vt. 想象 imagine
- a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface;
"they showed us the pictures of their wedding"
"a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"
- graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface;
"a small painting by Picasso"
"he bought the painting as an investment"
"his pictures hang in the Louvre"
- a clear and telling mental image;
"he described his mental picture of his assailant"
"he had no clear picture of himself or his world"
"the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
- a situation treated as an observable object;
"the political picture is favorable"
"the religious scene in England has changed in the last century"
- illustrations used to decorate or explain a text;
"the dictionary had many pictures"
- a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement;
"they went to a movie every Saturday night"
"the film was shot on location"
- the visible part of a television transmission;
"they could still receive the sound but the picture was gone"
- a graphic or vivid verbal description;
"too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures"
"the author gives a depressing picture of life in Poland"
"the pamphlet contained brief characterizations of famous Vermonters"
- a typical example of some state or quality;
"the very picture of a modern general"
"she was the picture of despair"
- a representation of a person or scene in the form of a print or transparent slide; recorded by a camera on light-sensitive material
- imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind;
"I can't see him on horseback!"
"I can see what will happen"
"I can see a risk in this strategy"
- show in, or as in, a picture;
"This scene depicts country life"
"the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
- May I take a picture of you?
- The Pianist is the fourth movie nominated for Best Picture.
- The book gives a good picture of everyday life in ancient rome.
- This book gives a good picture of life in China 100 hundred years ago.
- Draw a picture of the house so we know what it looks like.
- I can't picture the village without the old church.
- You should picture to yourself the brilliant future ahead of us .
- The artist used red and orange to picture the sun set.
- They were pictured against a background of flowers.
- Could you take a picture for me?
- She's taking a picture of the children.
The beautiful picture caught her attention.
The picture was painted in broad masses of colour.
The pictures gripped my imagination.
I bid ten dollars for that picture.
Mary colored her picture with pencils.
You may be only an amateur painter, but your pictures can knock mine into a cocked hat.
Her letters paint a wonderful picture of her life in Burma.
All the pictures should be faced forward.
He cut out the picture from the newspaper.
She likes to collect stories and pictures of Dr. Bethune.
Do you approve of the pictures in the book?
The stamp bears the picture of George Washington.
The photographer grouped the family together so that he could get them all in the same picture.
Since many people want to get his autographed picture, the famous football player cannot get away.
His picture has been incorporated without his permission into an advertisement.
She said good-bye and added that she would send us some pictures.
We wanted to see some old family pictures so Jenny brought them out and showed them to us.
May I take a picture of you?
Shall we have a few pictures taken?
The author of the book painted a dismal picture of the future.
The report gave a detailed picture of what was happening.
Can you form a picture in your mind of what I described to you?
This picture attracts a large audience.
Movie pictures are projected onto the screen.
Have you seen her latest picture?
The movie company spent much money building up its new picture.
The attention of all the audience converged on the screen as soon as the motion picture started.
She looked a picture in her new dress.
The park is a picture when flowers are in bloom.
The lake was a picture as we skirted it at dusk.
After long study there emerged an overall picture of conditions that were extremely disheartening.
The painter pictured the general sitting on a horse.
The soldier pictured the battle.
Picture yourself in that suit.
Picture yourself in her situation!
I can picture that he will come.
Please picture what you have seen at the park for me.
Can't you picture how she must feel?
The artist pictured her as a girl.
The artist pictured him as a young man in riding dress.
I can't quite picture him as a family man.
I cannot picture her as an actress.
He can't quite picture himself as a father.
Can you picture them leading a demonstration?
Can you picture her riding a bicycle?
Can you picture her working as a diplomat?
- get the picture
了解(形势、情况等) understand a (situation)
There is quite a lot of rivalry between the people who work here, if you get the picture. 如果你了解一下的话,你就能发现在这儿工作的人中间有着很大的竞争性。
- 了解(形势、情况等) understand a (situation)
- in〔out〕 of the picture
知道〔不知道〕详情,熟悉〔不熟悉〕一切 in〔not in〕 the position of knowing all the facts
I haven't heard about the latest developments; perhaps you could put me in the picture. 我没有听到最新的发展情况,也许你能告诉我详情。
Since you are going there, let me put you in the picture about the situation there. 既然你要到那里去,我就把那里的基本情况给你介绍一下。
I've been away for a few weeks so I'm rather out of the picture. 我外出了几个星期,所以对这件事情不太清楚。
He's been away from the country for many years, so he's rather out of the picture. 他离开那个国家许多年了,所以不太了解那里的情况。
引起〔不引起〕他人注意 receiving〔not receiving〕 sb's share of attention
She always wants to be in the picture. 她总是希望引人注目。
- 知道〔不知道〕详情,熟悉〔不熟悉〕一切 in〔not in〕 the position of knowing all the facts
- picture to oneself
给自己想象出 imagine (sth) to oneself picture to oneself sth/wh-clause
You should picture to yourself the brilliant future ahead of us.你该想象一下我们光明灿烂的未来。
She pictured to herself what it might be like to live in England.她想象生活在英国的情况。picture to oneself sb v-ing
He pictured to himself the family sitting out to the lawn.他想象家里人坐在草坪上。
- 给自己想象出 imagine (sth) to oneself picture to oneself sth/wh-clause
- cherish picture 珍爱画作〔照片〕
- collect pictures 收集画作
- colour picture 在画上着色
- come into picture 出现,引起注意,被牵涉到
- copy picture 仿制画作
- draw a picture 绘图,描绘,描写
- feast on a picture 尽情欣赏一幅画
- frame (up) picture 装帧画〔照片〕
- get picture 了解情况
- give a picture 描绘,描写
- hang (up) picture 挂画
- paint a picture 画油画,描绘,描写
- put up picture 贴画
- reproduce picture 复制画
- retouch picture 修改〔润色〕图画
- speak one's picture 表达意见,直言相告
- submit picture 呈交画作
- go to pictures 去看电影
- play picture 演戏
- project picture 放映影片
- run picture 放映影片
- shoot pictures 摄影
- snap a picture 拍照
- take a picture 拍照
- abstract picture 抽象的画
- beautiful picture 美丽的画
- celebrated picture 名画
- clear picture 清晰的图画,透彻的描绘
- close-up pictures 特写镜头
- detailed picture 详细的描绘
- erotic picture 色情画
- exaggerated picture 夸张的图画,夸张的描写
- fine picture 精美的画作〔照片〕
- full-length picture 全身像
- full-size picture 全身照片
- genuine picture 真画
- gloomy picture 模糊的图画,令人沮丧的描绘
- high-coloured picture 色彩鲜艳的画
- immortal picture 不朽的画作
- lovely picture 可爱的照片〔图画、景色〕
- moving picture 电影
- newsworthy picture 有新闻价值的照片
- overdrawn picture 夸张的描写
- realistic picture 现实主义的绘画,真实写照
- silent picture 无声电影
- true picture 真实写照
- valuable picture 珍贵的画
- vivid picture 栩栩如生的描写
- Western pictures 西部片
- wide-screen picture 宽银幕影片
- world-famous picture 世界著名的画作
- animal picture 动物画,动物图片
- conversation picture 描绘一群人物的风俗画
- group picture 团体照
- landscape picture 风景画
- motion picture 〈美〉电影
- sound picture 有声电影
- wedding picture 结婚照
- picture from life 写生画
- picture of girl 描绘女孩子的画
- picture of Indian life 印度生活的描写
- picture on screen 银幕上的图像
- picture artistically 富有艺术性地描绘
- picture brilliantly 绘画出色
- picture easily 很容易想象
- picture faithfully 如实地描绘
- picture mystically 神奇地想象
- picture ruthlessly 无情地刻画
- picture vividly 生动地描绘
That subtler spirit..which picture cannot express.出自：Leigh Hunt
Madly exuberant herbaceous borders pictured in a seedsman's catalogue.出自：Day Lewis
- picture有时可作“美人”或“形成的看法”解。例如:She still looked a picture if she made herself up a little bit.只要她稍加打扮,仍然十分漂亮。Do you think you could change his picture of Iran?你以为你可以改变他对伊朗的看法吗?
- picture还常用于picture to oneself结构中,表示“给(自己)想象出”,其后可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接以现在分词充当补足语的复合宾语。
- picture, drawing, painting, photo, portrait
这组词的共同意思是“画”。其区别是：drawing指“素描”或“工程图纸”。例如:This is a drawing in pencil.这是一幅铅笔素描。We produced a working drawing.我们绘制了一幅施工图。painting多指油画。例如:There are many paintings in the room.这间屋子里有很多油画。在表示水彩画时,用drawing或painting均可。例如:This is a water-colour drawing〔painting〕.这是一幅水彩画。photo指“照片”。例如:I have some photos taken in my hometown.我有一些在家乡拍的照片。picture指各种“画,照片或影片”。例如:He has collected some famous pictures.他收集了一些名画。May I take your picture?我可以为你拍张照片吗?Let's go and see a good picture.我们去看一部好电影吧。portrait指“(人物)肖像”。例如:This portrait looks real.这幅肖像简直像真的。
- I like pictures.
- I like the pictures.
- This is a picture of the President.
- This is a picture of the President's.
- picture oneself, picture to oneself
这两个短语的区别在于前者中oneself是picture的宾语,而后者中to oneself是picture的状语。另外,前者的意思是“想自己的情况”; 后者的意思是“想自己或别人的情况”。
- cinema film movie picture
- describe represent sketch picture
- drawing illustration cartoon diagram picture sketch painting portrait
误 What is on the picture?
正 What is in the picture?
误 The artist finished the photograph in two days.
正 The artist finished the picture in two days.
- ☆ 15世纪初进期入英语，直接源自拉丁语的pictura，意为绘画。