- n. 照片；影片；描述；图画
- vt. 想像；画；拍照
- [C]画,图片,照片 a painting or drawing; a photograph
- [S](生动的)描述,写照 account or description of sth that enables one to form a mental picture or impression of it
- [C]影片,电影,画面 a cinema film; what is seen on a television or cinema screen
- [S]美景,景色 beautiful object, scene, person, etc.
- [S]情况,事态,局面 a situation
- vt. 绘画; 描绘 draw or paint; make a picture of
- vt. 想象 imagine
a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface;
"they showed us the pictures of their wedding"
"a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"
graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface;
"a small painting by Picasso"
"he bought the painting as an investment"
"his pictures hang in the Louvre"
a clear and telling mental image;
"he described his mental picture of his assailant"
"he had no clear picture of himself or his world"
"the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
a situation treated as an observable object;
"the political picture is favorable"
"the religious scene in England has changed in the last century"
illustrations used to decorate or explain a text;
"the dictionary had many pictures"
a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement;
"they went to a movie every Saturday night"
"the film was shot on location"
the visible part of a television transmission;
"they could still receive the sound but the picture was gone"
a graphic or vivid verbal description;
"too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures"
"the author gives a depressing picture of life in Poland"
"the pamphlet contained brief characterizations of famous Vermonters"
a typical example of some state or quality;
"the very picture of a modern general"
"she was the picture of despair"
a representation of a person or scene in the form of a print or transparent slide; recorded by a camera on light-sensitive material
imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind;
"I can't see him on horseback!"
"I can see what will happen"
"I can see a risk in this strategy"
show in, or as in, a picture;
"This scene depicts country life"
"the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
- May I take a picture of you?
- The Pianist is the fourth movie nominated for Best Picture.
- The book gives a good picture of everyday life in ancient rome.
- This book gives a good picture of life in China 100 hundred years ago.
- Draw a picture of the house so we know what it looks like.
- I can't picture the village without the old church.
- You should picture to yourself the brilliant future ahead of us .
- The artist used red and orange to picture the sun set.
- They were pictured against a background of flowers.
- Could you take a picture for me?
- She's taking a picture of the children.
- The beautiful picture caught her attention.
- The picture was painted in broad masses of colour.
- The pictures gripped my imagination.
- I bid ten dollars for that picture.
- Mary colored her picture with pencils.
- You may be only an amateur painter, but your pictures can knock mine into a cocked hat.
- Her letters paint a wonderful picture of her life in Burma.
- All the pictures should be faced forward.
- He cut out the picture from the newspaper.
- She likes to collect stories and pictures of Dr. Bethune.
- Do you approve of the pictures in the book?
- The stamp bears the picture of George Washington.
- The photographer grouped the family together so that he could get them all in the same picture.
- Since many people want to get his autographed picture, the famous football player cannot get away.
- His picture has been incorporated without his permission into an advertisement.
- She said good-bye and added that she would send us some pictures.
- We wanted to see some old family pictures so Jenny brought them out and showed them to us.
- May I take a picture of you?
- Shall we have a few pictures taken?
- The author of the book painted a dismal picture of the future.
- The report gave a detailed picture of what was happening.
- Can you form a picture in your mind of what I described to you?
- This picture attracts a large audience.
- Movie pictures are projected onto the screen.
- Have you seen her latest picture?
- The movie company spent much money building up its new picture.
- The attention of all the audience converged on the screen as soon as the motion picture started.
- She looked a picture in her new dress.
- The park is a picture when flowers are in bloom.
- The lake was a picture as we skirted it at dusk.
- After long study there emerged an overall picture of conditions that were extremely disheartening.
- The painter pictured the general sitting on a horse.
- The soldier pictured the battle.
- Picture yourself in that suit.
- Picture yourself in her situation!
- I can picture that he will come.
- Please picture what you have seen at the park for me.
- Can't you picture how she must feel?
- The artist pictured her as a girl.
- The artist pictured him as a young man in riding dress.
- I can't quite picture him as a family man.
- I cannot picture her as an actress.
- He can't quite picture himself as a father.
- Can you picture them leading a demonstration?
- Can you picture her riding a bicycle?
- Can you picture her working as a diplomat?
- get the picture
了解(形势、情况等) understand a (situation)
- in〔out〕 of the picture
引起〔不引起〕他人注意 receiving〔not receiving〕 sb's share of attention
- picture to oneself
给自己想象出 imagine (sth) to oneself
picture to oneself sth/wh-clause
You should picture to yourself the brilliant future ahead of us.
She pictured to herself what it might be like to live in England.
她想象生活在英国的情况。picture to oneself sb v-ing
He pictured to himself the family sitting out to the lawn.
- cherish picture 珍爱画作〔照片〕
- collect pictures 收集画作
- colour picture 在画上着色
- come into picture 出现,引起注意,被牵涉到
- copy picture 仿制画作
- draw a picture 绘图,描绘,描写
- feast on a picture 尽情欣赏一幅画
- frame (up) picture 装帧画〔照片〕
- get picture 了解情况
- give a picture 描绘,描写
- hang (up) picture 挂画
- paint a picture 画油画,描绘,描写
- put up picture 贴画
- reproduce picture 复制画
- retouch picture 修改〔润色〕图画
- speak one's picture 表达意见,直言相告
- submit picture 呈交画作
- go to pictures 去看电影
- play picture 演戏
- project picture 放映影片
- run picture 放映影片
- shoot pictures 摄影
- snap a picture 拍照
- take a picture 拍照
- abstract picture 抽象的画
- beautiful picture 美丽的画
- celebrated picture 名画
- clear picture 清晰的图画,透彻的描绘
- close-up pictures 特写镜头
- detailed picture 详细的描绘
- erotic picture 色情画
- exaggerated picture 夸张的图画,夸张的描写
- fine picture 精美的画作〔照片〕
- full-length picture 全身像
- full-size picture 全身照片
- genuine picture 真画
- gloomy picture 模糊的图画,令人沮丧的描绘
- high-coloured picture 色彩鲜艳的画
- immortal picture 不朽的画作
- lovely picture 可爱的照片〔图画、景色〕
- moving picture 电影
- newsworthy picture 有新闻价值的照片
- overdrawn picture 夸张的描写
- realistic picture 现实主义的绘画,真实写照
- silent picture 无声电影
- true picture 真实写照
- valuable picture 珍贵的画
- vivid picture 栩栩如生的描写
- Western pictures 西部片
- wide-screen picture 宽银幕影片
- world-famous picture 世界著名的画作
- animal picture 动物画,动物图片
- conversation picture 描绘一群人物的风俗画
- group picture 团体照
- landscape picture 风景画
- motion picture 〈美〉电影
- sound picture 有声电影
- wedding picture 结婚照
- picture from life 写生画
- picture of girl 描绘女孩子的画
- picture of Indian life 印度生活的描写
- picture on screen 银幕上的图像
- picture artistically 富有艺术性地描绘
- picture brilliantly 绘画出色
- picture easily 很容易想象
- picture faithfully 如实地描绘
- picture mystically 神奇地想象
- picture ruthlessly 无情地刻画
- picture vividly 生动地描绘
That subtler spirit..which picture cannot express.出自： Leigh Hunt
Madly exuberant herbaceous borders pictured in a seedsman's catalogue.出自： Day Lewis
- picture还常用于picture to oneself结构中,表示“给(自己)想象出”,其后可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接以现在分词充当补足语的复合宾语。
- picture, drawing, painting, photo, portrait
- This is a drawing in pencil.这是一幅铅笔素描。
- We produced a working drawing.我们绘制了一幅施工图。
- There are many paintings in the room.这间屋子里有很多油画。
- This is a water-colour drawing〔painting〕.这是一幅水彩画。
- I have some photos taken in my hometown.我有一些在家乡拍的照片。
- He has collected some famous pictures.他收集了一些名画。
- May I take your picture?我可以为你拍张照片吗?
- Let's go and see a good picture.我们去看一部好电影吧。
- This portrait looks real.这幅肖像简直像真的。
- I like pictures.
- I like the pictures.
- This is a picture of the President.
- This is a picture of the President's.
- picture oneself, picture to oneself
- 这两个短语的区别在于前者中oneself是picture的宾语,而后者中to oneself是picture的状语。另外,前者的意思是“想自己的情况”; 后者的意思是“想自己或别人的情况”。
误 What is on the picture?
正 What is in the picture?
误 The artist finished the photograph in two days.
正 The artist finished the picture in two days.
- ☆ 15世纪初期进入英语，直接源自拉丁语的pictura，意为绘画。