- [P]出席的,到场的 being in the place in question announced
- [A]现在的,目前的 existing or happening now
- [P]存在的,含有的 being in a place, substance. etc.
- [A]正在处理或讨论中的 now being considered, dealt with or discussed
- [S]现在,目前 the time now passing; the present time
- [C]礼物,赠品 thing given or received as a gift
- vt. 出现; 出席; 显示 appear or attend; show
- vt. 介绍 introduce
- vt. 赠与; 交给 give or hand sth to sb
- the period of time that is happening now; any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech;
"that is enough for the present"
"he lives in the present with no thought of tomorrow"
- something presented as a gift;
"his tie was a present from his wife"
- a verb tense that expresses actions or states at the time of speaking
- temporal sense; intermediate between past and future; now existing or happening or in consideration;
"the present leader"
"articles for present use"
"the present topic"
"the present system"
- being or existing in a specified place;
"the murderer is present in this room"
"present at the wedding"
"present at the creation"
- give an exhibition of to an interested audience;
"She shows her dogs frequently"
"We will demo the new software in Washington"
- bring forward and present to the mind;
"We presented the arguments to him"
"We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason"
- perform (a play), especially on a stage;
"we are going to stage `Othello'"
- hand over formally
"This poses an interesting question"
- give, especially as an honor or reward;
"bestow honors and prizes at graduation"
- give as a present; make a gift of;
"What will you give her for her birthday?"
- deliver (a speech, oration, or idea);
"The commencement speaker presented a forceful speech that impressed the students"
- cause to come to know personally;
"permit me to acquaint you with my son"
"introduce the new neighbors to the community"
- represent abstractly, for example in a painting, drawing, or sculpture;
"The father is portrayed as a good-looking man in this painting"
- present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize;
"We confronted him with the evidence"
"He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions"
"An enormous dilemma faces us"
- formally present a debutante, a representative of a country, etc.
- recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position;
"When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"
- He bought me a valuable diamond ring as a birthday present.
- I wish to make you a present in token of my gratitude.
- Focusing on the future instead of the present can cripple any activity.
- There's no certain cure for this illness at present.
- He insists on being present.
- A number of local personalities were present at the meeting.
- According to our present ideas of physics, nothing can travel faster than light.
- I am content to stay in my present job.
- He suspected that a leak was present somewhere along the pipe.
- He presented quite a new view of the affair.
- We should like to present some suggestions which would help settle the question.
- They presented a sum of money to the college in memory of their son.
- The whole village presented a face placid.
- The ships in the bay present a beautiful sight.
The present situation is foreign to me.
It is well known that he is the master of the present situation.
He judged the present situation badly.
This is the present situation of world affairs.
The present wave of strikes stems from discontent among the lower-paid.
What are the issues facing the workers at the present time?
If certain factors limit present investment in industry, this is even more true for agriculture.
They established their present working methods by a process of trial and error.
I propose that a provisional national assembly be held to meet the present emergency.
She was too angry at the present moment to listen to reason.
When is my pay going to be increased from its present rate?
The present contract can't ensure you a job.
I'm feeling rather frustrated in my present job; I need a change.
Your present behaviour cancels out any past help you gave us.
We have all agreed that the present proposal is a good one.
The present proposal will be accepted upon the following conditions.
We hesitated to accept the present proposal.
The men present were his supporters.
He answered all the questions with a readiness that startled everyone present.
He read the story aloud for everybody present to hear.
He was the only Englishman present.
What he said deeply affected the people present.
How many of the group are present today?
All the fashion of the town were present.
A good many people were present at the rally.
All were present at the meeting.
Many of them were present at the conference.
How many people were present at the meeting?
They insisted that he should be present at the meeting.
It so happened that he had to be present at a meeting.
Writers of history books often attempt to integrate the past with the present.
The children were delighted with the presents.
The present to the boy is conditioned on his good marks.
He accepted the present with hearty thanks.
He gave me a handsome present.
We clubbed together to buy her a present.
We chose a Christmas present for her.
We chose her a nice birthday present.
We lump all our money together to buy our teacher a present.
He got a splendid present for her.
The children band together to buy a present for their teacher.
Please accept the diamond ring as a present.
He refused to accept any present.
Father's birthday present was hidden in the kitchen cupboard.
Jane let out where she had hidden her father's birthday present.
The question naturally presented itself in my mind.
The question presented itself for our attention.
A good opportunity has presented itself for doing what you suggested.
She presents her idea very clearly.
The book presents a faithful account of the event.
He presented himself for an examination.
He presented himself for a checkup at the hospital.
Miss Smith, may I present Mr. Brown?
The characters in the book are vividly presented.
I was presented with a new dictionary.
Michael presented the manager his application.
You'd better present a bunch of flowers to her.
用于be ～ed 结构
A book list was presented to the dean.
- on present form
基于某人先前的行为 based on sb's previous actions
He will never admit that he is lazy on present form. 基于先前的行为,他不会承认他懒惰。
- 基于某人先前的行为 based on sb's previous actions
- the present day
当今 the present age
If the spirit of Caesar could be called up by some spell,I wonder what it would think of the present day. 如果凯撒的灵魂可以用符咒召回的话,我不知道它对当今世界会有什么看法。
- 当今 the present age
- at present
目前,现在 at this time
At present we must energetically encourage the practice of making investigations and studies. 目前,我们要大兴调查研究之风。
- 目前,现在 at this time
- for the present
目前,现在; 暂时,暂且 at present
There is no need to fear for him for the present. He is going to get well. 暂且不必为他担忧,他很快就会好起来。
We will not talk about that for the present. 我们现在不谈这个。
He thought the matter might be left over for the present. 他认为这事眼下也许会缓一缓。
- 目前,现在; 暂时,暂且 at present
- make a present of
She made a present of a book to me. 她给我一本书。
I make a present of a watch to him on his birthday. 我在他生日那天送给他一块手表。
- 赠送 give
- present to (v.+prep.)
向…介绍… introduce to present sb to sb
Allow me to present my former teacher to you.请允许我向你们介绍我以前的老师。
He presented the guests to each other.他介绍客人们互相认识。用于 be ～ed 结构
The new employees were presented to the rest of the staff.新雇员被介绍给其余职员。
The ambassador was presented to the president.大使被总统召见。
He had the honour of being presented to the chairman in the office.他有幸在办公室被主席召见。
- 向…介绍… introduce to present sb to sb
- present continuous tense 现在进行时
- present case 此际,当下,在目前情况下
- present participle 现在分词
- present tense 现在时
- present time 现在
- present writer 本作者,笔者
- the present address 现住址
- the present chairman 现任主席
- the present government 现政府
- the present king 现任国王
- the present situation 当前的形势
- represent present 描绘现在
- sacrifice present 牺牲现在
- accept present 接受礼物
- accept as present 作为礼品接受
- bring sb present 给某人带来礼物
- buy sb present 给某人买礼品
- decline present 谢绝礼品
- deliver present to sb 交给某人礼品
- exchange present 互赠礼物,交换礼品
- get present 得到一件礼物
- give sb present 给某人礼品,给某人赠送礼物
- receive present 收到礼品
- make sb present 赠送某人礼物
- make sb present of book 赠给某人一本书
- offer sb present 给某人礼品
- present sb with a present 向某人赠送礼物
- receive present 接到礼物
- send sb present 给某人送礼物
- take present 接受礼物
- welcome present 对礼物表示欢迎
- historical present 历史上的现在
- immediate present 目前
- acceptable present 可接受的礼物
- anniversary present 周年纪念礼物
- beautiful present 好看的礼物
- excellent present 漂亮的礼品,很好的礼物
- expensive present 贵重的礼物
- free present 免费赠品
- good present 好的礼物
- interesting present 有趣的礼品
- little present 区区薄礼
- lovely present 漂亮的礼品,使人喜欢的礼物
- official present 正式赠送的礼品
- parting present 临别赠品
- pleasant present 美好的礼品
- practical present 实用的礼物
- precious present 珍贵的礼物
- small present 小礼物
- valuable present 宝贵的礼物
- wonderful present 很好的礼品
- birthday present 生日礼物
- Christmas present 圣诞礼物
- farewell present 临别赠品
- graduation present 毕业礼物
- wedding present 结婚礼物
- present adequately 充分地介绍
- present aimlessly 无目的地介绍
- present appropriately 适当地介绍
- present brazenly 厚颜无耻地交给
- present carefully 仔细介绍
- present casually 偶尔出现
- present conditionally 有条件地出席
- present consciously 自觉地介绍
- present cordially 真心诚意地介绍
- present curtly 三言两语地介绍
- present directly 直接交给
- present formally 正式出现
- present handsomely 大方地介绍
- present humbly 谦恭地介绍
- present listlessly 无精打采地出席
- present modestly 合适地介绍
- present necessarily 必要地介绍
- present parenthetically 附带介绍
- present passively 被动地出席
- present philosophically 冷静地介绍
- present reasonably 有理地介绍
- present reluctantly 不情愿地介绍
- present unanimously 一致出席
- present unflaggingly 悄悄地介绍
There is no past and future, only a sort of eternal present.出自：U. Le Guin
The next part brought the story to the present.出自：E. Leonard
Maybe he'd be saying he loved her, bringing her flowers, buying her presents.出自：R. Ingalls
Jon was present at the next meeting.出自：A. Davis
I had not wanted him to be present when I introduced Hal and Cora.出自：C. McWilliam
An aunt in London..was going to present her at court.出自：P. Mortimer
After completing high school, Emily was presented to Boston society.出自：L. Gordon
- at present，for the present都属于固定搭配格式，不能修改成at the present，in present等其他格式。前者指“现在”，后者指“暂时”；
- at present同presently意思不同，但前者常用于现在时，表示“目前”，后者则常用于将来时，表示“一会儿”；
- present和gift的比较：present指“礼物”，但gift可以不是“礼物”。Birthday/Christmas gift中，gift属于礼物。在别人需要而将东西送给他时，如一本旧书或是把书捐给图书馆，都属于gift，但不算送“礼”；
He presented a book to her.
He presented her with a book.
He made her a present of a book.
There are other people present.
- present作“出席的”“在场的”解时用作后置定语,这是因为此时present表示的特征是“暂时的”,而不是“永久的”。类似的形容词还有absent, concerned, involved等。
- be present, attend
这两者均可译为“出席”。二者的区别是：attend强调的是过程, be present强调的是状态。例如:
- I attended a meeting this morning.
- He was present at the scene.
- at present, for the present
这两个短语常可互换使用,但含义并不完全相同。at present指说话的当时; 而for the present则指短时间之内。试比较：
- He can't come at present.
- He can't come for the present.
- present, gift
这两个词的共同意思是“礼物”。其区别是：1.gift常指贵重的礼品,可以是具体的,也可以是抽象的东西; present则往往指一般的具体的礼物,价值可高可低。2.赠送gift往往被看作慷慨的行为; 而赠送present则往往出于好心、礼貌、尊敬等。3.gift多指送给团体、机构或个人的礼品,一般没有回赠; present则多指送给亲友的礼品,往往有回赠。例如:The company makes a yearly gift to the Fund.这家公司一年一度向该基金会捐赠。We bought a wedding present for John.我们给约翰买了一件结婚礼物。4.gift是比较正式的用语; present则多用于非正式场合。5.gift的主体的身份可高于客体,也可低于客体,而present的主体的身份一般都低于客体或与客体相当。
- present, introduce
这两个词都有“介绍”的意思。其区别在于:1.introduce的客体可以是人或物,而present的客体则只能是人。例如:Let me introduce a new method of work to you.让我向你们介绍一种新的工作方法。The new employees were presented to the rest of the staff.新雇员被介绍给其余职员。2.introduce适用于涉及的人在地位上彼此平等的场合; present则适用于涉及的人地位高低不等的场合。例如:He introduced the guests to each other.他介绍客人们互相认识。Freshmen are presented to the president of the college.一年级学生被介绍给学院院长。
- present, offer, prefer, proffer, tender
这组词都可表示“提出”。它们之间的区别是：1.present特指通过礼仪形式或彬彬有礼的行为向对方提供考虑、选择或认可的服务、建议或物品。2.offer是最基本、最常用的词,表示主动奉献某物或提出别人可能接受或拒绝的建议、意见、职务等。例如:The teacher offered a few ideas to improve the plan.老师提出了几点改进计划的意见。She offered to help me to learn English.她提出要帮我学英语。3.proffer强调因慷慨所产生的自愿奉献行为,是较正式用语。例如:Many people proffered blood and skin for the badly burnt worker.很多人要求为那个严重烧伤的工人献血献皮。4.tender专指在公务上或法律上呈请正式批准,作一般用法时,强调温和有礼。例如:She tendered him her resignation.她向他提交了辞呈。5.prefer只用在19世纪的英语中或某些法律场合才表示“提出”。例如:The police preferred a charge against the motorist.警方控告那个汽车司机。Will the police prefer charges against the boys or just give them a warning?警方会控告那些男孩吗?还是只给他们一个警告?
- present, award, confer, give, grant
这组词都有“给予”的意思。其区别是：give是最普通用语。present较正式,指以一定的形式或程序赠给,并暗示所给的物有一定的价值。例如:When Mr. Brown left the firm, the director presented a gold watch to him.布朗先生离开这家公司时,董事长送给他一只金表。grant指依照对方的希望或要求给予,有权者以正式手续给予。例如:They have been granted permission to pull down the old theatre.他们已获准拆除这座旧戏院。award指有充分理由给予奖赏。例如:She's been awarded a scholarship to study at Oxford University.她获得了去牛津大学念书的奖学金。confer指地位较高者把名誉或地位授予较低者。例如:An honorary degree was conferred on him by the university.这所大学授予他荣誉学位。
- He presented a pistol to me.
- He presented a pistol at me.
- He presented me a book.
- He presented a book to me.
- He presented me with a book.
- modern contemporary current recent present up-to-date
误 She was not present for the meeting yesterday.
正 She was not present at the meeting yesterday.
析 表示“出席会议”,应该说 be present at the meeting。
误 He was the only present Englishman.
正 He was the only Englishman present.
误 The situation in the present China is very good.
正 The present situation in China is very good.
析 中国只有一个,不是“暂时的”事物,故不可说the present China。
误 I have not any dictionary at the present.
正 I have not any dictionary at present.
误 At present day there are two thousand workers in our factory.
正 At the present day there are two thousand workers in our factory.
析 表示“目前”,应该说at present,这是固定短语,其中present前没有定冠词。但当present后还有其他名词时, present前就须加定冠词,此时的present是形容词。
误 For present we had better do nothing.
正 For the present we had better do nothing.
析 说“暂时”,用for the present, present前必须有the。
误 This watch is a birthday present of my parents.
正 This watch is a birthday present from my parents.
析 “ 由某人处收到的礼物”用a present from sb,其中的from不能换作of,因为of含有“所有权”的意味,误句应译为“这表是我父母的生日礼物”。
误 The President presented the prize winners the prizes.
正 The President presented the prize winners with the prizes.
析 作“授予”解时不用于present sb sth 结构,须用present sb with sth 结构。
错句：go to the post office and wait there; i will come at present.
纠正：go to the post office and wait there; i will presently.
- ☆ 1300年左右进英入语，直接源自古法语的present；最初源自拉丁语的prsentem，意为当前，迅速。
- adj.(形容词) at hand attending current here immediate near ready there to hand
- n.(名词) favour gift offering
- v.(动词) award donate give offer pose state
- present:present n. 赠品, 礼物, 现在, 瞄准adj. 现在的, 出席的, 当面的vt. 介绍, 引见, 给, 赠送, 上演, 提出, 呈现vi. 举枪瞄准 英英解释:名词present:1. t…