- v. 防守；防护；辩护
- vt. & vi. 保卫 protect; make safe; keep safe from harm; protect against attack
- vt. & vi. 辩护; 辩解 support, protect, or show the rightness by argument
argue or speak in defense of;
"She supported the motion to strike"
be on the defensive; act against an attack
protect against a challenge or attack;
"Hold that position behind the trees!"
"Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
fight against or resist strongly;
"The senator said he would oppose the bill"
"Don't fight it!"
protect or fight for as a champion
be the defense counsel for someone in a trial;
"Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
state or assert;
"He maintained his innocence"
- Some players are better at defending.
- The union said that they would take action to defend their member's jobs.
- He was afraid of being attacked by Liu Bei and Sun Quan, so he sent a troop to defend Jingzhou.
- She demonstrated how best to defend oneself.
- He undertook to defend this attitude.
- He is better at defending than attacking.
- Who is defending in this case?
- Finally they took up arms to defend themselves.
- They raised a large army to defend their country.
- We shall defend our country, whatever the cost may be.
- The soldiers are fighting bravely to defend their country.
- The duty of a soldier is to defend his country.
- During the Warring States period, more walls were put up to defend the borders of the different kingdoms.
- The country needs a stronger army to defend itself.
- They couldn't prevent us defending the rights of students.
- He had defended the institution of a celibate priesthood.
- He incurred the wrath of the emperor for defending Li Ling.
- She defended herself successfully in court.
- The accused had a lawyer to defend him.
- You'll need lawyers to defend you.
- He defends his doctrine in his book.
- He made a long speech defending his ideas.
- He is so obstinate that he still tries to defend his theory, although it has been proved wrong.
- I can't defend his drinking on the job.
- The city was defended by mountains on three sides.
- This view was also defended by other deputies.
- God defends that ever I should do such a thing.
- This was his world, he could defend it secure from fear.
- defend against (v.+prep.)
保护…不受,防御 protect against attack
defend sb/oneself/sth against sb/sth
They tried to defend themselves against the enemy with all their might.
We must defend ourselves against the invaders.
She defended herself against a false accusation.
He defended himself against robbery.
The sentry defended the platoon against sudden attack.
We defend our country against enemies.
Their duty is to defend their country against both domestic and foreign enemies' attack.
The newspaper defended her against the accusations.
The fort cannot be defended against an air attack.
- defend from (v.+prep.)
保护…使不受危险 protect out of danger
defend sb/sth from sb/sth/v-ing
We defended her from harm.
The law defends people from injustice.
He made a long speech defending his views from objection.
The dyke was built to defend the road from being washed away by the sea.
- defend with (v.+prep.)
用…来保卫 protect sb with sth
defend with sth
Our two guards defended with great skill.
我队的两名后卫技巧娴熟地进行防守。defend sb/oneself with sth
We defended ourselves with guns.
When the dog attacked me,I defended myself with a stick.
We will defend our motherland with our blood and lives.
They were defended with guns.
- defend a place 保卫一个地方
- defend a theory 支持某种理论
- defend a child 保护孩子
- defend interests of 捍卫…的利益
- defend one's actions 支持某人的行动
- defend one's conduct 为某人的行为辩解
- defend one's drinking on the job 为在工作时饮酒辩护
- defend one's ideas 支持某人的见解
- defend one's title 保住某人的权力
- defend oneself 自卫,为自己辩护
- defend road 护路
- defend the accused 为被告辩护
- defend the country 保卫国家
- defend the national interest 保护民族利益
- defend the wrong cause for the right reason 以正当理由捍卫错误的事业
- defend angrily 愤怒地辩护
- defend ardently 积极地辩护
- defend bravely 勇敢地辩护
- defend courageously 英勇地辩论
- defend desperately 毫无顾忌地辩护
- defend easily 易于辩解
- defend effectually 有效地辩论
- defend eloquently 雄辩
- defend heroically 英勇地辩论
- defend obstinately 顽强地辩护
- defend passively 被动地辩护
- defend philosophically 用哲学的观点辩护
- defend principally 主要地辩解
- defend stoutly 有力地辩护
- defend successfully 成功地辩护
Trees..defended and clad with thick leaued branches.出自： P. Holland
Defending the airport against enemy attack.出自： F. Fitzgerald
- defend常与against连用表示“防守,捍卫”; 与from连用表示“保护…以防,使…免遭危害”。
- defend, assert, justify, maintain, vindicate
- 这组词都有“坚持”的意思。其区别在于:maintain指坚持维护某种主张或某一事物,暗示在反对意见面前或在争论当中怀有坚定不移的信念; assert强调把自己的信念强加于人或者企图硬要别人信服或认可; defend专指捍卫某种行动、意见、决定等以免受到非难、惩罚或责备; vindicate特指在受到非难、责备、轻视等时为自己辩明或剖白; justify指用无可辨别的理由“证明…有道理或有根据”。
- defend, guard, protect, safeguard, shield
- 1.defend指对迫在眉睫的危险或侵袭而采取武力或其他手段防御,也可指为某人辩护或捍卫原则的纯洁性; guard指小心翼翼地保持警惕,防止实际存在的或可能发生的危险,以确保人身安全; safeguard指采用保护措施防御潜在的危险; protect指借用某种东西作为防御、保护的工具,使人或物免受伤害; shield指将防护物置放在保护者和伤害物之间,有遮挡的意思。例如:
- The soldiers defended the castle.士兵们守卫城堡。
- The player was guarded closely by her opponent.那名运动员被她的对手紧紧地看住。
- This special cream will protect your skin from the burning sun.这种独特的乳霜可以保护皮肤免受烈日的伤害。
- This agreement will safeguard the newspapers from government interference.这项协定将保护报界免遭政府干预。
- The police were equipped with riot shields.警察配备了防护盾牌。
- 2.protect和shield两者相比较, shield在避开危险的成功率上没有protect高。
误 Their duty is to defend the enemy.
正 Their duty is to defend themselves against the enemy.
析 defend含义是“保卫自己,免受敌人攻击”,其宾语是保护的对象; against后接防御的对象。她保护她的孩子不被疯狗咬伤。
误 She defended her children off the mad dog.
正 She defended her children from the mad dog.
析 表示“保护…使免遭危害”时, defend常与from连用。
- ☆ 13世纪中期进入英语，直接源自古法语的defendre；最初源自古典拉丁语的defendere：de (离开） + fendere (击打，推），意为击打开来，推开。