- vt. 建议；暗示；使想起；表明；要求
- 启发，使人想起， 使人联想到，提示，启示
- vt. 建议; 提议 put forward an idea or plan for sb to consider or propose
- vt. 表明,暗示 give signs (of); make clear, perhaps indirectly
- vt. 使想起 cause (a new idea) to appear or form in the mind
make a proposal, declare a plan for something;
"the senator proposed to abolish the sales tax"
drop a hint; intimate by a hint
imply as a possibility;
"The evidence suggests a need for more clarification"
suggest the necessity of an intervention; in medicine;
"Tetracycline is indicated in such cases"
call to mind;
"this remark evoked sadness"
- I suggested going for a walk.
- I suggested to him that we should tackle the problem another way.
- He had the effrontery to suggest that she enjoyed being unhappy.
- The thought of summer suggests swimming.
- His pale face suggests bad health.
- Such a crime suggests apt punishment.
- He suggested London for their meeting.
- The river was inviting.I suggested a swim.
- He suggested several possibilities for revision.
- What would you suggest?
- We suggested an exchange of visitors.
- The government suggested large-scale afforestation.
- He suggested immediate negotiations between the two countries.
- Her smile suggests her consent.
- Her expression suggested anger.
- His pale face suggests bad health.
- His sun-tanned face suggests good health.
- Her large house suggests wealth.
- Harry's bad manner suggests a lack of education.
- The work had been only on a small scale but it suggested a solution.
- The sight of birds suggested a new idea for flying machines.
- A new procedure has been suggested.
- Various improvements are suggested.
- The following points are suggested for consideration.
- The idea was probably suggested by his wife.
- The way out of the difficulty was suggested by a casual remark from a young engineer.
- The short story was suggested by an actual incident.
- Could you suggest how to get to the station?
- What I suggest to do in this matter is this.
- She suggested staying there another day.
- We have so much to do,I don't suggest going away.
- I suggested going to the theatre.
- I suggest trying it once more.
- I suggest bringing the meeting to an end.
- The agronomist suggested growing rice on the dried river bed.
- Who suggested doing it this way?
- I suggested asking her advice.
- I have written him a letter and suggested his giving the plan up.
- Who suggested his taking part?
- We suggested Eby's doing it a different way.
- He suggested that we should come another day.
- She suggested that Brooks might go to Chicago and try to find a job there.
- Facer suggests that we walk home.
- I suggest that we leave early for the airport.
- They suggested we should visit a class right away.
- I suggest you investigate the case again.
- The doctor suggested he go for a holiday.
- I suggest he adapt himself to his new conditions.
- The letter suggested that a new clinic be built.
- I suggested that both of them were worthy of help.
- The police suggested that the motive for the crime was jealousy.
- Some people have suggested that Proust is not a novelist at all, but an essayist.
- Haas suggested Gara might be interested in going with us.
- I'd like to suggest that it was put in the wrong place.
- Her expression suggested that she was angry.
- The mistakes in your exercise books suggest that you have not paid enough attention to grammar.
- Its institutional tone suggested that it was written in the foreign office.
- Tiny rippling whirlpools on the water's surface suggest that the ponds are full of fish.
- It was suggested that we should leave as early as possible.
- It's suggested that we put on a short play at the party.
- It is suggested that we should modify our working plan.
- It has been suggested that the meeting be adjourned for the present.
- It has been ingeniously suggested that we leave the door open so that no one can escape our notice.
- Could you suggest where I can park the car?
- He suggested the plan to Haas.
- I have a better plan to suggest to the committee.
- She suggested to me one or two suitable people for the committee.
- I suggested to her that she have lunch now.
- I would like to suggest to you that this is not a suitable time.
- A new teaching method has been suggested to us.
- She has suggested Brooks as the next chairman of the society.
- suggest oneself
出〔浮〕现在(某人的)脑海中 come to the mind of (sb)
That question naturally suggested itself.
Many reasons suggested themselves.
很多理由出现在脑中。suggest oneself to sb
Then an idea suggested itself to her.
A more promising way out of our difficulties then suggested itself to me.
This is a thought that has frequently suggested itself to us.
Two possibilities suggest themselves to me at the moment.
- suggest a book 建议(写、看)一本书
- suggest a chance 暗示一个机会
- suggest a further investigation 建议进一步调查
- suggest a lack of proper training 暗示缺乏训练
- suggest a plan 提出计划
- suggest a solution 提出解决问题的方法
- suggest a talk 提议进行一次谈判
- suggest a two-day tour 建议作一次二日游
- suggest an exchange of visitors 建议人员互访
- suggest an idea 提出想法
- suggest immediate negotiation 建议立即进行协商
- suggest large-scale afforestation 建议大规模植树造林
- suggest the following points 提出下列几点
- suggest wealth 暗示财富
- suggest bringing the meeting to an end 建议会议结束
- suggest doing it a different way 建议换个方法做这件事
- suggest sending one's paper to the conference 提出把论文寄给大会
- suggest casually 偶然提起
- suggest contemptuously 轻蔑地暗示
- suggest craftily 狡猾地暗示
- suggest deftly 巧妙地暗示
- suggest facetiously 可笑地提出
- suggest frequently 使时常想起
- suggest gloomily 愁绪满怀地提议
- suggest ingeniously 巧妙地暗示
- suggest insidiously 阴险地暗示
- suggest irrelevantly 离题地提出
- suggest mildly 温和地提出
- suggest pacifically 平和地提出
- suggest promptly 迅速提议
- suggest readily 使立即想到
- suggest respectfully 尊敬地提议
- suggest significantly 重要性地建议
- suggest slyly 狡猾地暗示
- suggest tentatively 试探性地提议
- suggest vaguely 含糊地提出
Jealousy..Gives false alarms, suggesteth mutiny.出自：Venus Adonis , Shakespeare
As soon as Finn suggested this idea it seemed..an irresistible one.出自： I. Murdoch
Housman suggested returning to Chablis for dinner.出自： R. P. Graves
They suggested to my parents that..I should pursue a career as an artist.出自： K. Vonnegut
The devil may suggest, compel he cannot.出自： absol.
- suggest作“建议”“提议”解后接that从句作宾语时,从句中的谓语动词要用虚拟式; 作“表明,暗示”“使想起”等解时,从句中的谓语动词可用陈述式。
I suggest asking her advice.
suggest后可接that从句，有多种不同的用法：在英国，suggest所引导的that从句中的动词可以是一般现在时，也可以是过去时。在英国，从句中加that加不定式也属常见。给出直接建议的时候，一般省略should，如I suggest (that) you get...。suggest后有时可直接加主语。
Her uncle suggests that she gets a job in a bank.
He suggested that she got a job in a bank.
I suggest hamburgers.
- suggest, connote, denote, imply, indicate, mean, signify, symbolize
- 1.mean是普通用语,对于明确与否的观点、物品都可以用; suggest意为“具有…的含义”,暗示“表明”。例如:
- He claims to mean one thing, but his choice of words suggests quite another.他宣称指的是一件事,而他的话却含有另外一个含义。
- 2.indicate与imply意为“说明,表明,象征”, indicate通常指明显、明确的事物。例如:
- A high fever indicates a severe illness.高烧预示着要生病了。
- His smile implied that he had forgotten all about the time.他的笑预示着他完全忘记了时间。
- The word “lion” denotes〔connotes〕 a certain kind of animal.“狮子”这个词指一种动物。
- Hunger connotes〔suggests, implies〕 unhappiness.饥饿就预示着不高兴。
- 5.signify与symbolize表示“意味,象征”, symbolize通常指用物、符号代表某物,着重表示抽象的概念。例如:
- What does this strange mark signify〔symbolize〕?这个奇怪的符号代表什么?
- A red sunset signifies〔means〕 fine weather.一轮火红的落日象征着一个好天气。
- suggest, hint, intimate
- hint和intimate指用间接、含蓄的语言“暗示”, intimate更为坦白; suggest可指直接“建议”,也可指暗中流露。例如:
- He hinted his dissatisfaction with her work.他暗示了对她工作的不满。
- She hinted that it was time we left.她暗示我们该走了。
- He intimated that he intended to marry her.他暗示要娶她。
- The dean intimated his approval of the plan.系主任表明同意这一计划。
- suggest, pose, propose, propound
- propose指在争辩或讨论中提出意见或建议,请求给予考虑、解决、采纳或赞同,指较积极地提议; suggest指客气地、谦虚地建议; propound指向别人提出可供考虑的方案或建议,强调建议者不怀个人偏见或好恶; pose指提出不谋求立刻得到答复的问题。
误 He suggested to go for a walk.
正 He suggested going for a walk.
正 He suggested that we (should) go for a walk.我建议他不要加水喝。
误 I suggested him to drink it without adding any water.
误 I suggested his drinking it without adding any water.
正 I suggested that he (should) drink it without adding any water.
析 suggest后不能接动词不定式或“宾语+动词不定式”结构。在表示“建议某人做某事”时,可接动名词或接that从句来表示,从句中的谓语多用should加动词原形构成, should可省略。她打哈欠表示她很困了。
误 Her yawn suggests that she should be sleepy.
正 Her yawn suggests that she is sleepy.
- ☆ 直接源自拉丁语的suggestus，意为带来。