lay out orderly or logically in a line or as if in a line;
"lay out the clothes"
"lay out the arguments"
get ready for a particular purpose or event;
"set up an experiment"
"set the table"
"lay out the tools for the surgery"
spend or invest;
"lay out thousands on gold"
"he laid out a fortune in the hope of making a huge profit"
bring forward and present to the mind;
"We presented the arguments to him"
"We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason"
provide a detailed plan or design;
"She laid out her plans for the new house"
- He showed us how to lay out a printed page.
- We must map out our program step by step.
- She mapped out her time very well.
- These are the tasks cut out for this week.
- The goods for sale are set out attractively.
- Bestsellers were sold out before they were displayed.
- We should work out what our weekly costs are.
- His expenditure is out of proportion to his income.
- Mr Powel has marked out a general course of action.
- Then they began to lay their plans.