- [C]理由,原因 the cause of an event or situation; a fact, event, or statement that provides an explanation or excuse for sth
- [U]理性,理智 the ability to think, understand, and form opinions or judgments that are based on facts
- vi. & vt. 推理; 思考 make use of one's reason; exercise the power of thought
- vi. & vt. 争辩 say by way of argument
- a rational motive for a belief or action;
"the reason that war was declared"
"the grounds for their declaration"
- an explanation of the cause of some phenomenon;
"the reason a steady state was never reached was that the back pressure built up too slowly"
- the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination;
"we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
- the state of having good sense and sound judgment;
"his rationality may have been impaired"
"he had to rely less on reason than on rousing their emotions"
- a justification for something existing or happening;
"he had no cause to complain"
"they had good reason to rejoice"
- a fact that logically justifies some premise or conclusion;
"there is reason to believe he is lying"
- decide by reasoning; draw or come to a conclusion;
"We reasoned that it was cheaper to rent than to buy a house"
- present reasons and arguments
- think logically;
"The children must learn to reason"
- That is the reason why I don't like it.
- He is able to explain the reason because he was present at that time.
- We have reason to believe that he was murdered.
- We shall in no way let reason be defeated by impulse.
- His assessment of the situation is based on sheer emotion, not reason.
- Who can reason with you when you are so stubborn?
- Copernicus reasoned that the earth revolved around the sun.
- He reasoned that if we started at dawn, we would be there by noon.
I can only guess the reason.
We must inquire the reason.
You should only stay away from school if you have a legitimate reason, such as illness.
She lost her reason in consequence of a violent emotion caused by a fire.
Only man has reason—animal does not.
His reason ruled his anger.
It is contrary to reason.
I have many reasons to think that he won't come.
We have reason to believe that he was murdered.
They have said the new product will be a success, and I see no reason to doubt it.
We have good reason to believe that he is lying.
In view of her behaviour, you had every reason to be suspicious.
The reason I didn't tell you was that I wanted it to be a surprise.
The reason that he doesn't come is that he is ill.
The reason why she didn't get the job was that her English was not very good.
The reason why he is late is that his car didn't come.
Is there any particular reason why you can't come?
An idiot can't reason.
She can reason very clearly.
A man can reason but an animal can't.
Do you think some animals can reason?
His primary aim was to teach his students to reason.
Copernicus reasoned that the earth revolved around the sun.
We reasoned that the terrorists would not negotiate unless we made some concessions.
He reasoned that if we start at dawn, we could arrive before noon.
- beyond all reason
不合理的,不理智的 not reasonable; not acceptable
Their demands are beyond all reason. 他们的要求完全是不合理的。
Her outrageous words went beyond all reason. 她那些无礼的话全无道理。
- 不合理的,不理智的 not reasonable; not acceptable
- for reason
由于…的原因 due to sth
That child is always crying for no good reason. 那个孩子总是无缘无故地哭。
Some people find themselves burst out crying for no reason at all. 有些人自己也不知道为什么,莫名其妙地就哭起来了。
That girl burst into tears for no reason at all. 那个女孩莫名其妙地哭起来了。
I have searched my mind for a reason, but can't find one. 我绞尽脑汁寻找理由,但是没找到。
He resigned for reasons of health. 他由于健康原因而辞职。
For some reason, he was neither surprised nor frightened. 由于某种原因他既不吃惊也不害怕。
- 由于…的原因 due to sth
- lose reason
失去理智,发狂,发疯 drive sb mad
Don't lose your reason however excited you are. 无论你多兴奋都不要丧失理智。
- 失去理智,发狂,发疯 drive sb mad
- reason for
(某事)的理由 the cause of an event or situation
The reason for the flood was that heavy rain. 水灾是那场大雨造成的。
Give me your reason for doing it. 说说你做这件事的理由吧。
There are a number of reasons for eating good food. 要吃好东西有许多理由。
There is no reason for alarm. 没有理由惊慌。
There must be some other reason for his refusing to help. 他拒绝帮忙,其中肯定还有别的原因。
Our reason for coming to England is to learn. 我们来英格兰的目的是学习。
- (某事)的理由 the cause of an event or situation
- see reason
明白道理 understand reason
He saw reason and gave up smoking. 他听从了劝告而不抽烟了。
- 明白道理 understand reason
- within reason
合乎情理 within reasonable limits
The bank will lend you as much as you need, within reason. 银行会合情合理尽量借给你所需的钱。
He'll do anything for me within reason but he won't break the law. 在合理范围内他会为我做一切事情,但他不会违法。
- 合乎情理 within reasonable limits
- reason against (v.+prep.)
通过说理来反对…; 据理反驳… oppose sth, usually by thoughtful argument reason against sth
The lawyer reasoned against any changes being made in the law.那位律师摆出道理,反对对法律的任何修改。
- 通过说理来反对…; 据理反驳… oppose sth, usually by thoughtful argument reason against sth
- reason from (v.+prep.)
根据…作出判断 make a judgment based on sth such as an idea reason from sth
The employer reasoned from his opinion of the workers and decided to increase their pay.雇主根据其对工人的评价来决定提高他们的工资。reason from sth that-clause
I reasoned from his silence that he was unhappy.我从他的沉默中判断他不高兴。
- 根据…作出判断 make a judgment based on sth such as an idea reason from sth
- reason into (v.+prep.)
以理劝说使之相信或使之做某事 persuade sb by thoughtful argument to believe sth or start doing sth reason sb/oneself into sth/v-ing
See if you can reason the members into agreement with each other.看看你是否能劝会员们取得一致的意见。
You can easily reason yourself into even greater fear if you always think about the worst possibilities.如果你总是考虑最坏的可能性,你就会使你自己更加害怕。
Let me try to reason him into joining us.让我想办法说服他加入到我们当中来。
After some hours of discussion I managed to reason him into adopting a more conciliatory attitude.经过几个小时讨论以后,我终于说服他采取比较和解的态度。用于 be ～ed 结构
This is something he can be reasoned into, given time.如果有时间,这件事是可以劝他接受的。
No one can be reasoned into accepting an idea that his feelings oppose.无法说服任何人去接受自己感情上接受不了的观点。
- 以理劝说使之相信或使之做某事 persuade sb by thoughtful argument to believe sth or start doing sth reason sb/oneself into sth/v-ing
- reason out (v.+adv.)
通过推理得出结论 find an answer to sth by thinking of all possible arguments reason sth ⇔ out
The solution is there if you care to reason it out.只要你愿意把它琢磨透,解决问题的办法就不难找到。
He reasoned the problem out and came to a conclusion.他推想问题并得出结论。reason out that/wh-clause
The workers have reasoned out that the real power is in their own hands.工人们通过推理懂得真正的权力是在他们自己手中。
We would not reason out where we were, because of the mist.因为天有雾,我们当时不能推断出我们所在的位置。
- 通过推理得出结论 find an answer to sth by thinking of all possible arguments reason sth ⇔ out
- reason out of (v.+adv.+prep.)
以理说服,使其放弃 persuade sb against sth or doing sth by thoughtful argument reason sb out of sth/v-ing
How can you reason her out of fears that she has had all her life?你怎样才能劝说她消除她一生中的恐惧呢?
Can't you reason the boy out of such stupid behaviour?你难道不能说服这孩子别做这种蠢事吗?
Try to reason him out of that idea.试一试劝他放弃那种念头。
It is you who can reason him out of his prejudice.只有你才能劝他消除偏见。用于 be ～ed 结构
Father must be reasoned out of driving home in such dangerous conditions.必须以理来说服父亲不要在如此危险的情况下开车回家。
- 以理说服,使其放弃 persuade sb against sth or doing sth by thoughtful argument reason sb out of sth/v-ing
- reason with (v.+prep.)
跟…讲道理,以理规劝… try to persuade usually sb, by fair argument reason with sb
You should reason with the child instead of just telling him to obey.你应该同孩子讲清道理,不要只叫他听话。
The teacher tried to reason with the boy but he refused to listen; children like that can often not be reasoned with.老师想用道理来规劝这孩子,但是他不听,像他那样的孩子常常是不可理喻的。
There's no reasoning with that woman.那个女人简直不可理喻。
There was no use reasoning with him.跟他讲道理毫无效果。
Reasoning with him was useless.与他讲道理没有用。
I reasoned with her for hours about the danger, but she would not change her mind.我跟她争辩了几个小时,想让她认识到危险性,但她就是不听。
- 跟…讲道理,以理规劝… try to persuade usually sb, by fair argument reason with sb
- analyze reasons 分析原因
- assign reasons 指出理由
- bear reason 听从道理,服理
- bring to reason 恢复理智
- cite a reason 引证理由
- cook up reasons 编造理由
- explain a reason 说明理由
- give a reason 说明原因
- have a reason 有理由
- hear reason 听从道理
- list five reasons 提到五点理由
- listen to reason 听从道理
- lose sb's reason 失去理智
- mention five reasons 列举五点理由
- see reason 看出理由,明白原因
- stand to reason 合乎情理
- state a reason 阐述理由
- use one's reason 用理智
- above reason 上述理由
- abundant reason 充分的理由
- apparent reason 明显的理由
- convincing reason 令人信服的理由
- every reason 充足的理由
- false reason 虚假的理由
- good reason 充足的理由
- logical reason 逻辑推理
- necessary reason 必要的理由
- obvious reason 明显的理由
- personal reason 个人理由
- political reasons 政治原因
- real reason 真正的原因
- sound reason 充分的理由,有根据的原因
- strong reason 强有力的原因
- sufficient reason 充分的理由
- the best reasons 最充分的理由
- the following reasons 下述理由
- understandable reasons 可以理解的原因
- urgent reason 紧迫的原因
- various reasons 种种原因
- against reason 背理
- by reason of 由于…的原因,因为,为了
- by reason of good planning 因为安排得好
- for a reason 由于…原因
- for no other reason than that 只是因为…
- for some reason 由于某些原因
- for what reason 为什么
- in reason 合理,有道理,正当
- with reason 合乎情理
- without reason 不合乎情理
- reason against 反对…的理由
- reason behind… 真正的理由
- reason for… 的原因,赞成…的理由
- reason for changing the plan 改变计划的理由
- reason point 讨论这一点
- reason deviously 不正当推理
- reason ineffectually 无效推理
- reason intelligently 明智地推断
- reason soundly 正确地推论,合理地思考
- reason away sb's nervousness 通过推理分析除去紧张不安感
- reason a person down 说服某人
- reason out a conclusion 推出一结论
- reason things out 讲道理
- reason out of 说服…不要做…
- reason sb out of going away 说服某人不要走
- reason out of sb's anxiety 劝某人不要担心
- reason sb out of the prejudice 说服某人消除偏见
- reason about a subject 就一个题目作推论
- reason against 反驳,进行反对…的辩论
- reason by syllogisms 用三段论法推论
- reason for 为维护…而辩论
- reason from the cause to the effect 从原因推论到结果
- reason from experience 根据经验推断
- reason sb into 说服某人(做)…
- reason sb into accepting the suggestion 说服某人接受建议
- reason sb into consent 说得某人表示同意
- reason sb into going away 说服某人离开
- reason on subject 研究课题
- reason with 同某人争辩
- reason with a person 同某人讲道理
Ordinary life..has saved many a man's reason.出自：G. Greene
She reasoned carefully with herself whether..to go away..or to fall flop under Ernest's nose.出自：A. P. Herbert
- 引导the reason的定语从句,多数语法学家认为应是that,而章振邦和张道真两位先生却只给出why,实际上这两种都是可以的,许多语法书或辞书都有收录,故可放心使用。
- 传统的语法规则认为the reason...is because...句型是错误的,应将because改为that。但是,近些年来, the reason...is because...不仅在口语中,而且书面语也用得颇多,甚至得到了某些词典的认可。例如:The real reason people no longer wanted to be secretaries was because the pay was so low.人们不想当秘书的真正原因是工资太低。不过为了稳妥些,还是少用because为好。
- reason可接介词into表示“说服某人做某事”; 接out of表示“说服某人放弃某事”; 接out表示“推断出”; 接with表示“说服,规劝”。
- reason, cause, excuse, grounds
这组词都有“理由,原因”的意思。其区别在于:cause指造成一种事实或现象的比较直接的“原因,根源,起因”,它表示的原因是指导致某种结果的客观条件、情况、事件、力量等; reason强调“推理”,指对于某个情况或看法从逻辑推理上引出结论的“理由”; excuse指为了避免责任而设法辩解过错或设法使之显得轻微,指找出的“理由,原因”或“借口”; grounds指一种有根据的“理由”,有时可译作“原因”。例如:Give your reason for changing the plan.把你改变计划的理由讲一下。He is always late, and always has an excuse.他总是迟到,而且总有借口。I have not much grounds for believing the information.我没有充分的依据去相信这个消息。
- There is every reason why you should be displeased.
- There is every reason for your being dis- pleased.
- He did it in reason.
- He did it with reason.
- reason with, with reason
这两个短语的用法和意思不同：reason with是动词+介词型短语,后接“人”,意思是“同…争辩”; with reason是介词+名词型短语,表示“合理,有理由”,在句中作状语。
- argue quarrel debate dispute discuss reason
- cause reason excuse
- think deliberate meditate muse reason reflect speculate
误 The reason why he was late was because it rained.
正 The reason why he was late was that it rained.
误 The reason for his lateness is because he missed the train.
正 The reason for his lateness is that he missed the train.
析 “…的原因是因为…”,英文的正确表达是the reason... is that...,这里需要用that引导表语从句,而不能用because引导从句,以免意思重复。
误 Sickness is the reason of her absence.
正 Sickness is the reason for her absence.
析 “…的原因”是reason for ( v -ing) sth,其中的for不能用of代替。
误 He always tried to make reasons for being late.
正 He always tried to make excuses for being late.
- ☆ 13世纪初期进英入语，直接源自盎格鲁法语的resoun；最初源自古典拉丁语的rationem，意为计算、理解、动机、事业。
- reason:reason n. 理由, 原因, 动机, 理智, 前提vt. 说服, 推论, 辩论vi. 推论, 劝说, 思考 英英解释:名词reason:1. a rational motive for a be…