- v.使停飞；困在家中；放在地上；使 ... 搁浅；打基础
- 使停飞， 阻止…起飞
- [S]地面 solid surface of the earth
- [U]泥土,土地 soil; earth
- [C]场地 piece of land used for a particular purpose
- [C]地域,水域 large area of land or sea used for the stated purpose
- [C]建筑物四周的土地或花园; 庭园 land or gardens round a building, often enclosed with walls, hedges or fences
- [C]理由 reason
- vt. & vi. 搁浅; 停飞 touch the sea bottoms; (of aircraft, airmen) compel to stay on the ground
- vt. 使接地 earth
- vt. 将…放在地上 lay on the ground
- the solid part of the earth's surface;
"the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"
"the earth shook for several minutes"
"he dropped the logs on the ground"
- a rational motive for a belief or action;
"the reason that war was declared"
"the grounds for their declaration"
- the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface;
"they dug into the earth outside the church"
- a relation that provides the foundation for something;
"they were on a friendly footing"
"he worked on an interim basis"
- a position to be won or defended in battle (or as if in battle);
"they gained ground step by step"
"they fought to regain the lost ground"
- the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground;
"he posed her against a background of rolling hills"
- material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use);
"the land had never been plowed"
"good agricultural soil"
- a relatively homogeneous percept extending back of the figure on which attention is focused
- a connection between an electrical device and a large conducting body, such as the earth (which is taken to be at zero voltage)
- (art) the surface (as a wall or canvas) prepared to take the paint for a painting
- the first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface
- fix firmly and stably;
"anchor the lamppost in concrete"
- confine or restrict to the ground;
"After the accident, they grounded the plane and the pilot"
- place or put on the ground
- instruct someone in the fundamentals of a subject
- bring to the ground;
"the storm grounded the ship"
- hit or reach the ground
- throw to the ground in order to stop play and avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage
- hit a groundball;
"he grounded to the second baseman"
- hit onto the ground
- cover with a primer; apply a primer to
- connect to a ground;
"ground the electrical connections for safety reasons"
- use as a basis for; found on;
"base a claim on some observation"
- You shouldn't sit on the ground when it's wet.
- The expedition covered a lot of ground.
- Boredom is not a ground for divorce.
- There is no point in going over the same ground twice.
- It said that they were all trying to find the common ground.
- Most stock markets lost ground after their recent gains.
- Germany in the 1920s and 30s was fertile ground for such ideas.
- All aircrafts at London Airport were grounded by fog today.
- His parents grounded him for two weeks.
- They grounded their arms to show surrender.
- She grounded her pupils well in arithmetic.
He slipped off the ladder and fell to the ground.
The bird fell to the ground.
The branch broke and fell to the ground.
The dead man was lying flat on the ground.
The aircraft hadn't enough power to get off the ground.
The ground is dry.
In winter the ground is too hard to dig.
The builders broke ground for a new shopping centre.
They own all the ground in front of you as far as the next hill.
This is one of the world's best fishing grounds.
The cheers of the fans echoed round the ground as the team appeared.
They entered the grounds ahead of us.
Now that you've seen the house,I'll show you the grounds.
The house has large and pleasant grounds.
The grounds around his house are beautiful.
They managed to cover quite a lot of ground in a short programme.
This graduate course covers the same ground as the undergraduate degree course in Educational Administration.
It was absurd to try to cover so much ground in such a short lecture.
You're on dangerous ground when you criticize his daughter.
The curtains have white flowers on a blue ground.
The ship touched ground a few yards from the shore.
Their ship touched the ground.
Throw out the coffee grounds.
They had no ground to arrest him.
We had sufficient grounds to sue.
Her claim was disallowed on the grounds that she had not paid her premium.
You have no grounds for complaint.
If you continue to behave like this you will give them grounds for dismissing you.
The grounds for his action was never clearly stated.
There is no grounds for anxiety.
Desertion is a ground for divorce.
I had to retire on medical grounds of ill health.
On what grounds do you make that accusation?
They don't give me much ground for complaint.
The ship has grounded.
All the planes today have grounded.
The fog grounded the airliners.
He grounded a boat.
The enemy grounded arms.
He was a pilot in the air force but was grounded because of an eye injury.
Our ship was grounded in shallow water.
The boxer was grounded by his opponent.
The theory is ill grounded.
- below ground
地面之下,在地下 beneath the surface of the earth
Their missile silos are below ground. 他们的导弹发射井在地下。
- 地面之下,在地下 beneath the surface of the earth
- break fresh ground
开辟新天地,开始新的事业 introduce or discover a new method, system, etc.; innovate
This physics book breaks fresh ground. 这本物理学著作探讨了新的课题。
- 开辟新天地,开始新的事业 introduce or discover a new method, system, etc.; innovate
- cover ground
行过一段距离,完成一定量的工作 walk a long distance; finish a lot of work
Did you cover much ground on the hike? 你们徒步行走了很多路吗?
We've covered a lot of ground at this morning's meeting. 在今天上午的会上我们讨论了很多问题。
- 行过一段距离,完成一定量的工作 walk a long distance; finish a lot of work
- cut the ground from under
先发制人地破坏某人的计划,拆某人的台 spoil sb's plan, argument, defence, etc. by anticipating it
We mustn't allow these people to cut the ground from under us while we sit looking on. 我们绝不能坐视这些人拆我们的台。
I was about to raise my offer for the farm when a neighbour cut the ground from under my feet by offering a sum that I couldn't possibly match. 我正要出价买下那农场时,我旁边的一个人报出了一个我绝对无法竞争的价钱,破坏了我的计划。
- 先发制人地破坏某人的计划,拆某人的台 spoil sb's plan, argument, defence, etc. by anticipating it
- from the ground up
从头开始 start from the beginning
He came to work for Uncle Julian and learn the business from the ground up. 他来替朱利安伯伯干活,从头学习做生意。
He changed everything from the ground up. 他使一切彻底改观了。
- 从头开始 start from the beginning
- gain ground
前进,有进展,越来越为人们所接受 forward; be accepted by people little by little
The movement rapidly gained ground. 运动进展很快。
The People's Party is gaining ground in this country. 人民党在这个国家正壮大起来。
The sick man gained ground after being near death. 那病人在生命垂危之后又有所好转。
He has had a hard time in his new business but he is gaining ground now. 他起初干这一行时吃了一些苦头,现在有进展了。
The idea of equal pay for women is gaining ground. 男女同工同酬的思想正日益被人们所接受。
Acupuncture anesthesia is rapidly gaining ground in surgical operations. 针刺麻醉在外科手术上正在得到广泛应用。
占优势 gain the advantage
Godley's views are gaining political ground. 戈德利的观点正在取得政治上的优势。
This big contract will help us to gain ground on our competitors. 这个重要的合同将会有助于我们在对付竞争对手时取得优势。
The soldiers fought hard and began to gain ground. 士兵们奋勇作战,开始占领敌军阵地。
逼近 get gradually closer to sb/sth going in the same direction as oneself
The police car was gaining ground on the robbers. 警车正在逼近抢劫犯。
A glance behind confirmed his fears. His pursuer was gaining ground on him rapidly. 往后看使他越发害怕,追他的人很快就要赶上来了。
- 前进,有进展,越来越为人们所接受 forward; be accepted by people little by little
- get off the ground
起飞 take off
The aircraft hadn't enough power to get off the ground. 那架飞机的动力不够,无法起飞。
How does such a heavy plane get off the ground? 这样一架重型飞机怎样起飞?
顺利开始 make a successful start
Lack of money meant the plan didn't even get off the ground. 缺乏资金意味着我们甚至无法开始实施计划。
- 起飞 take off
- give ground
The army was forced to give ground when the enemy started its new offensive. 当敌人发动新的攻势时,部队被迫撤退。
If we cancel this autumn's big publicity drive, it'll give ground to our main competitors. 如果我们取消今年秋季的大型推广运动,这就如同向我们的主要对手让步。
- 退却,让步 retreat
- go to ground
潜伏,躲藏 at somewhere that people couldn't find
The criminals went to ground in a deserted old farm house. 罪犯们逃到一间废弃的破旧农舍中躲藏起来。
The criminals have gone to ground somewhere, waiting until it is safe to complete their escape. 罪犯在某处藏身,等安全时才逃走。
- 潜伏,躲藏 at somewhere that people couldn't find
- hold one's ground
坚守阵地; 坚持立场 not go away; keep one's idea
Although many were killed, the soldiers held their ground. 虽然很多人阵亡了,士兵们仍然坚守阵地。
Albert managed to hold his ground in that field. 艾伯特力图在那个领域站稳脚跟。
We hold our ground that the struggle for disarmament must be combined with fight against hegemonism. 我们坚持原来的主张,那就是裁军的斗争必须同反霸斗争结合起来。
The workers held their ground in the long strike, and finally wages were raised. 工人们在漫长的罢工中坚持不让步,最后终于增加了工资。
He could not hold his ground in the face of relentless opposition. 在遭到激烈反对的情况下,他无法再坚持自己的立场。
- 坚守阵地; 坚持立场 not go away; keep one's idea
- lose ground
The gas lamp gradually lost ground to electric lighting. 煤气灯逐渐为电灯所代替。
The general sent in reinforcements when he saw that his troops were losing ground. 将军看到自己的军队退却,便派出增援部队。
Our opponents have lost ground on this point in debate. 对方在这个论点上站不住脚。
Superstition and illiteracy are losing ground as people become more educated. 由于人们受的教育更多了,迷信和文盲便逐渐减少。
- 败退,退却,失去地盘,失利 retreat
- on (the) ground〔grounds〕 of
根据…,以…为理由 depend upon sth
He was always declining their invitations on ground of ill health. 他总是以身体不好为理由而谢绝他们的邀请。
Mrs. Snavely got a divorce on the grounds of desertion. 史内夫利太太以被遗弃为由而获准离婚。
- 根据…,以…为理由 depend upon sth
- prepare the ground
使…能够或容易发展 make the development of sth possible or easier
Early experiments with military rockets prepared the ground for space travel. 早期军用火箭的试验为太空旅行奠定了基础。
- 使…能够或容易发展 make the development of sth possible or easier
- run into the ground
把…搞得精疲力竭 wear sb/sth out completely; exhaust sb/sth run oneself/sb into the ground
By working 13 hours a day she is running herself into the ground.她一天工作13个小时,把自己搞得精疲力竭。
- 把…搞得精疲力竭 wear sb/sth out completely; exhaust sb/sth run oneself/sb into the ground
- shift one's ground
改变立场 change the basis of one's argument, claim, etc.
It's impossible to prove him wrong because he keeps shifting his ground. 要证明他错是不可能的,因为他不断地改变立场。
It's difficult to argue with her— she's constantly shifting her ground. 很难与她辩论,她总是变换论点。
Just when I thought I had won the argument she shifted her ground and put forward a whole new set of objections. 正当我觉得已经赢得这场辩论的时候,她改弦易辙,提出了一连串新的反对意见。
- 改变立场 change the basis of one's argument, claim, etc.
- suit down to the ground
完全适合 completely, utterly suit sb down to the ground
Mary's new job suits her down to the ground.玛丽的新工作正合她的心意。
- 完全适合 completely, utterly suit sb down to the ground
- to the ground
夷为平地 destroying completely
Many villages were razed to the ground. 许多村子被夷为平地。
- 夷为平地 destroying completely
- ground in( v.+prep. )
训练…,打好…的基础 give the basic exercise; be well trained in ground sb/oneself in sth
The teacher grounded his pupils in English.老师使学生们在英语方面打下良好的基础。
He grounded himself thoroughly in mathematics.他在数学方面接受过全面的基础训练。用于 be ～ed 结构
The class is well grounded in grammar.这个班的学生语法基础好。
Every educated man of the 19th century was well grounded in Latin and Greek.19世纪凡是受过教育的人在拉丁语和希腊语方面都有很好的基础。
I don't know how well this young lawyer performs in court, but at least he's well grounded in the principles of such cases.我不知道这位年轻的律师在法庭上的表现如何,不过,他起码精通处理这类案件的原则。
- 训练…,打好…的基础 give the basic exercise; be well trained in ground sb/oneself in sth
- ground on( v.+prep. )
根据…作出结论,以…为基础 base sth on sth
He grounded his arguments on experiences. 他根据经验立论。
Always ground your opinion on fact. 要永远根据事立而实论。
I grounded my opinion on facts. 我的观点是基于事实的。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
Our development plans are grounded on the result of our market research. 我们的开发计划是以对市场的研究结果为依据的。
Your fears were grounded on nothing but superstition. 你的恐惧只不过是以迷信为依据。
His argument is grounded on a series of wrong assumptions. 他的论点是以一系列的错误假设为依据的。
Your accusation must be grounded on facts. 你的指责必须以事实为依据。
The insurance is grounded on trust. 保险业立足于信用。
搁浅在… stop the ship at somewhere
A storm grounded the ship on a sandbar. 一场风暴使船搁浅在沙洲上。
- 根据…作出结论,以…为基础 base sth on sth
- afford ground 提供证据
- break ground 破土动工,创办
- buy up ground 买下地皮
- clean the ground 打扫场地
- clear ground 清理土地
- fall to ground 掉到地上
- lay out the grounds 设计庭园
- leave the ground 离开陆地
- level the ground 平整地面
- own ground 拥有土地
- plough the ground 犁地
- show ground 参观庭园
- take the ground 搁浅,登滩
- touch ground 触到水底
- actual ground 现场
- broken ground 新开垦的土地,凹凸不平之地
- classic ground 文艺胜地
- common ground 共同点,一致点
- damp ground 湿地
- equal ground(s) 同等条件
- firm ground 牢固的基础
- fresh ground 处女地,新天地
- good ground 充分的理由
- high ground 高地,地势高
- historical ground 历史根据,历史的原因
- middle ground 中间的场地
- new ground 处女地,新天地,新的领域
- same ground 同样的理由
- smooth ground 平坦的地面
- soft ground 基础不牢
- solid ground 牢固的基础
- sound grounds 可靠的根据
- strong ground(s) 强硬立场,强有力的根据
- white ground 白底
- battle ground 战场
- parade grounds 阅兵场
- parking grounds 停车场
- tennis ground 网球场
- aviation ground 飞机场
- base ground 基本根据,基点,基础
- coffee grounds 咖啡渣
- college grounds 校园
- exercise ground 操场,练习场地,运动场
- fishing ground 渔场
- football ground 足球场
- grazing grounds 牧场
- holiday ground 游览地
- proving ground 射击场,武器试验场
- rising ground 高台
- school ground 学校校园,学校运动场
- sports ground 运动场
- training ground 训练场
- above (the) ground 活着
- below ground 死了,埋葬了
- from the ground up 从头开始,彻底
- a piece of ground 一块地
- have one's feet on the ground 脚踏实地,现实
- on a white ground 白底
- on firm ground 处于安全地位
- on one's own ground 在自己熟悉的领域里,主场
- on the ground 在地上,当场,在基础上
- on the ground of 以…为理由,以…为借口,以…为基础
- on the ground of failing health 由于健康不佳
We praised God from the ground of the heart.出自：fig.
A large part of altruism,..is grounded upon the fact that it is uncomfortable to have unhappy people about.出自：H. L. Mencken
Culture itself is grounded in man's highly specific psycho-biological nature.出自：P. Fuller
- ground的基本意思是“地面”,指相对于天空而言的地球的表面; 也可指“泥土,土地”。ground也可指陆上或海上一片特殊的“地域,水域”,作“庭园,花园”解时常指建筑物周围的空地。ground还可以指做一件事情的原因,即“理由”。引申可指“内容”“背景”“渣滓”等。
- ground通常用作可数名词,作“场地,庭园”“理由”“渣滓”等解时常以复数形式出现,作“地面”解时一般只用单数形式。ground在作“土地,泥土”“范围,内容,话题”等解时可用作不可数名词,“一块地”说a piece of ground。
- 在作“庭园”解时, grounds前通常加介词in,而不加介词on。
- ground接介词in可表示“在…(方面)打基础”; 接介词on可表示“根据…作出结论”“以…为基础”。
- grounds, cause, excuse, reason
这组词都有“理由,原因”的意思。其区别在于:cause指造成一种事实或现象的比较直接的“原因,根源,起因”,它表示的原因是指导致某种结果的客观条件、情况、事件、力量等; reason强调“推理”,指对于某个情况或看法从逻辑推理上引出结论的“理由”; excuse指为了避免责任而设法辩解过错或设法使之显得轻微,指找出的“理由,原因”或“借口”; grounds指一种有根据的“理由”,有时可译作“原因”。例如:Give your reason for changing the plan.把你改变计划的理由讲一下。He is always late, and always has an excuse.他总是迟到,而且总有借口。I have not much grounds for believing the information.我没有充分的依据去相信这个消息。
- ground, earth, land, soil
这组词的共同意思是“地面,陆地”。其区别是：earth是相对于天空或太空而言的“地面”; land是指地球表面相对于海洋而言时的“地面”,有时还可指“地产”。例如:After working at sea for several years,I got a job on land.在海上工作数年之后,我在陆地找了一份工作。The duke's lands stretch for many miles in all directions.方圆许多英里之内都是公爵的地产。ground指人们在上面行走的地面或具有一定面积限度的空地。例如:The apple fell to the ground.苹果掉落到地上。soil主要表示栽培植物的“土壤”,也可引申为“国土,国度”。例如:This soil is good for growing things.这土壤很适合种植。They trod on this country's soil.他们在这个国度里做买卖。
- ground, floor
- There was a cat lying on the floor.
- There was a cow lying on the ground.
- on the grounds of
- on the ground of
- on grounds of
- ground:ground n. 地面, 土地, 战场, 场所, 范围adj. 土地的, 地面上的vt. 把...放在地上, 使搁浅, 打基础vi. 具有基础, 着陆, 搁浅vbl. grind的过去式习惯用语ab…