- n. 地面；地方；根据；主题；立场；水平；背景
- v. 使停飞；困在家中；放在地上；使 ... 搁浅；打基础
- 使停飞， 阻止…起飞
- [S]地面 solid surface of the earth
- [U]泥土,土地 soil; earth
- [C]场地 piece of land used for a particular purpose
- [C]地域,水域 large area of land or sea used for the stated purpose
- [C]建筑物四周的土地或花园; 庭园 land or gardens round a building, often enclosed with walls, hedges or fences
- [C]理由 reason
- vt. & vi. 搁浅; 停飞 touch the sea bottoms; (of aircraft, airmen) compel to stay on the ground
- vt. 使接地 earth
- vt. 将…放在地上 lay on the ground
the solid part of the earth's surface;
"the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"
"the earth shook for several minutes"
"he dropped the logs on the ground"
a rational motive for a belief or action;
"the reason that war was declared"
"the grounds for their declaration"
the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface;
"they dug into the earth outside the church"
a relation that provides the foundation for something;
"they were on a friendly footing"
"he worked on an interim basis"
a position to be won or defended in battle (or as if in battle);
"they gained ground step by step"
"they fought to regain the lost ground"
the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground;
"he posed her against a background of rolling hills"
material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use);
"the land had never been plowed"
"good agricultural soil"
a relatively homogeneous percept extending back of the figure on which attention is focused
a connection between an electrical device and a large conducting body, such as the earth (which is taken to be at zero voltage)
(art) the surface (as a wall or canvas) prepared to take the paint for a painting
the first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface
fix firmly and stably;
"anchor the lamppost in concrete"
confine or restrict to the ground;
"After the accident, they grounded the plane and the pilot"
place or put on the ground
instruct someone in the fundamentals of a subject
bring to the ground;
"the storm grounded the ship"
hit or reach the ground
throw to the ground in order to stop play and avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage
hit a groundball;
"he grounded to the second baseman"
hit onto the ground
cover with a primer; apply a primer to
connect to a ground;
"ground the electrical connections for safety reasons"
use as a basis for; found on;
"base a claim on some observation"
- You shouldn't sit on the ground when it's wet.
- The expedition covered a lot of ground.
- Boredom is not a ground for divorce.
- There is no point in going over the same ground twice.
- It said that they were all trying to find the common ground.
- Most stock markets lost ground after their recent gains.
- Germany in the 1920s and 30s was fertile ground for such ideas.
- All aircrafts at London Airport were grounded by fog today.
- His parents grounded him for two weeks.
- They grounded their arms to show surrender.
- The ship was grounded in shallow water.
- She grounded her pupils well in arithmetic.
- He slipped off the ladder and fell to the ground.
- The bird fell to the ground.
- The branch broke and fell to the ground.
- The dead man was lying flat on the ground.
- The aircraft hadn't enough power to get off the ground.
- The ground is dry.
- In winter the ground is too hard to dig.
- The builders broke ground for a new shopping centre.
- They own all the ground in front of you as far as the next hill.
- This is one of the world's best fishing grounds.
- The cheers of the fans echoed round the ground as the team appeared.
- They entered the grounds ahead of us.
- Now that you've seen the house,I'll show you the grounds.
- The house has large and pleasant grounds.
- The grounds around his house are beautiful.
- They managed to cover quite a lot of ground in a short programme.
- This graduate course covers the same ground as the undergraduate degree course in Educational Administration.
- It was absurd to try to cover so much ground in such a short lecture.
- You're on dangerous ground when you criticize his daughter.
- The curtains have white flowers on a blue ground.
- The ship touched ground a few yards from the shore.
- Their ship touched the ground.
- Throw out the coffee grounds.
- They had no ground to arrest him.
- We had sufficient grounds to sue.
- Her claim was disallowed on the grounds that she had not paid her premium.
- You have no grounds for complaint.
- If you continue to behave like this you will give them grounds for dismissing you.
- The grounds for his action was never clearly stated.
- There is no grounds for anxiety.
- Desertion is a ground for divorce.
- I had to retire on medical grounds of ill health.
- On what grounds do you make that accusation?
- They don't give me much ground for complaint.
- The ship has grounded.
- All the planes today have grounded.
- The fog grounded the airliners.
- He grounded a boat.
- The enemy grounded arms.
- He was a pilot in the air force but was grounded because of an eye injury.
- Our ship was grounded in shallow water.
- The boxer was grounded by his opponent.
- The theory is ill grounded.
- below ground
地面之下,在地下 beneath the surface of the earth
- break fresh ground
开辟新天地,开始新的事业 introduce or discover a new method, system, etc.; innovate
- cover ground
行过一段距离,完成一定量的工作 walk a long distance; finish a lot of work
- cut the ground from under
先发制人地破坏某人的计划,拆某人的台 spoil sb's plan, argument, defence, etc. by anticipating it
- from the ground up
- gain ground
逼近 get gradually closer to sb/sth going in the same direction as oneself
- get off the ground
顺利开始 make a successful start
- give ground
- go to ground
潜伏,躲藏 at somewhere that people couldn't find
- hold one's ground
坚守阵地; 坚持立场 not go away; keep one's idea
- lose ground
- on (the) ground〔grounds〕 of
根据…,以…为理由 depend upon sth
- prepare the ground
使…能够或容易发展 make the development of sth possible or easier
- run into the ground
把…搞得精疲力竭 wear sb/sth out completely; exhaust sb/sth
run oneself/sb into the ground
By working 13 hours a day she is running herself into the ground.
- shift one's ground
改变立场 change the basis of one's argument, claim, etc.
- suit down to the ground
完全适合 completely, utterly
suit sb down to the ground
Mary's new job suits her down to the ground.
- to the ground
夷为平地 destroying completely
- ground in( v.+prep. )
训练…,打好…的基础 give the basic exercise; be well trained in
ground sb/oneself in sth
The teacher grounded his pupils in English.
He grounded himself thoroughly in mathematics.
The class is well grounded in grammar.
Every educated man of the 19th century was well grounded in Latin and Greek.19
I don't know how well this young lawyer performs in court, but at least he's well grounded in the principles of such cases.
- ground on( v.+prep. )
搁浅在… stop the ship at somewhere
- afford ground 提供证据
- break ground 破土动工,创办
- buy up ground 买下地皮
- clean the ground 打扫场地
- clear ground 清理土地
- fall to ground 掉到地上
- lay out the grounds 设计庭园
- leave the ground 离开陆地
- level the ground 平整地面
- own ground 拥有土地
- plough the ground 犁地
- show ground 参观庭园
- take the ground 搁浅,登滩
- touch ground 触到水底
- actual ground 现场
- broken ground 新开垦的土地,凹凸不平之地
- classic ground 文艺胜地
- common ground 共同点,一致点
- damp ground 湿地
- equal ground(s) 同等条件
- firm ground 牢固的基础
- fresh ground 处女地,新天地
- good ground 充分的理由
- high ground 高地,地势高
- historical ground 历史根据,历史的原因
- middle ground 中间的场地
- new ground 处女地,新天地,新的领域
- same ground 同样的理由
- smooth ground 平坦的地面
- soft ground 基础不牢
- solid ground 牢固的基础
- sound grounds 可靠的根据
- strong ground(s) 强硬立场,强有力的根据
- white ground 白底
- battle ground 战场
- parade grounds 阅兵场
- parking grounds 停车场
- tennis ground 网球场
- aviation ground 飞机场
- base ground 基本根据,基点,基础
- coffee grounds 咖啡渣
- college grounds 校园
- exercise ground 操场,练习场地,运动场
- fishing ground 渔场
- football ground 足球场
- grazing grounds 牧场
- holiday ground 游览地
- proving ground 射击场,武器试验场
- rising ground 高台
- school ground 学校校园,学校运动场
- sports ground 运动场
- training ground 训练场
- above (the) ground 活着
- below ground 死了,埋葬了
- from the ground up 从头开始,彻底
- a piece of ground 一块地
- have one's feet on the ground 脚踏实地,现实
- on a white ground 白底
- on firm ground 处于安全地位
- on one's own ground 在自己熟悉的领域里,主场
- on the ground 在地上,当场,在基础上
- on the ground of 以…为理由,以…为借口,以…为基础
- on the ground of failing health 由于健康不佳
We praised God from the ground of the heart.出自： fig.
A large part of altruism,..is grounded upon the fact that it is uncomfortable to have unhappy people about.出自： H. L. Mencken
Culture itself is grounded in man's highly specific psycho-biological nature.出自： P. Fuller
- ground的基本意思是“地面”,指相对于天空而言的地球的表面; 也可指“泥土,土地”。ground也可指陆上或海上一片特殊的“地域,水域”,作“庭园,花园”解时常指建筑物周围的空地。ground还可以指做一件事情的原因,即“理由”。引申可指“内容”“背景”“渣滓”等。
- ground通常用作可数名词,作“场地,庭园”“理由”“渣滓”等解时常以复数形式出现,作“地面”解时一般只用单数形式。ground在作“土地,泥土”“范围,内容,话题”等解时可用作不可数名词,“一块地”说a piece of ground。
- 在作“庭园”解时, grounds前通常加介词in,而不加介词on。
- ground接介词in可表示“在…(方面)打基础”; 接介词on可表示“根据…作出结论”“以…为基础”。
- grounds, cause, excuse, reason
- 这组词都有“理由,原因”的意思。其区别在于:cause指造成一种事实或现象的比较直接的“原因,根源,起因”,它表示的原因是指导致某种结果的客观条件、情况、事件、力量等; reason强调“推理”,指对于某个情况或看法从逻辑推理上引出结论的“理由”; excuse指为了避免责任而设法辩解过错或设法使之显得轻微,指找出的“理由,原因”或“借口”; grounds指一种有根据的“理由”,有时可译作“原因”。例如:
- Give your reason for changing the plan.把你改变计划的理由讲一下。
- He is always late, and always has an excuse.他总是迟到,而且总有借口。
- I have not much grounds for believing the information.我没有充分的依据去相信这个消息。
- ground, earth, land, soil
- earth是相对于天空或太空而言的“地面”; land是指地球表面相对于海洋而言时的“地面”,有时还可指“地产”。例如:
- After working at sea for several years,I got a job on land.在海上工作数年之后,我在陆地找了一份工作。
- The duke's lands stretch for many miles in all directions.方圆许多英里之内都是公爵的地产。
- The apple fell to the ground.苹果掉落到地上。
- This soil is good for growing things.这土壤很适合种植。
- They trod on this country's soil.他们在这个国度里做买卖。
- ground, floor
- 两者都可以表示“地面”,但floor指室内的地面; 而ground则指室外的地面。试比较:
- There was a cat lying on the floor.
- There was a cow lying on the ground.
- on the grounds of
- on the ground of
- on grounds of