- vt. 料想,猜想,以为 accept as true or probable; imagine; assume
- vt. 假定,假设 pretend that (sth) is true; take (sth) as a fact
- vt. 作为建议来考虑 consider as a proposal
- vt. 须以…为条件 require (sth) as a condition
- express a supposition;
"Let us say that he did not tell the truth"
"Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?"
- expect, believe, or suppose;
"I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"
"I thought to find her in a bad state"
"he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"
"I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
- to believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds;
"Scientists supposed that large dinosaurs lived in swamps"
- take for granted or as a given; suppose beforehand;
"I presuppose that you have done your work"
- require as a necessary antecedent or precondition;
"This step presupposes two prior ones"
- Suppose you have a thousand dollars, what will you do with it.
- Let us suppose another planet with conditions similar to those on the earth.
- Some religions suppose that there is a Heaven physically above the earth.
- I suppose we shall be having some sort of celebration for the bride.
- Suppose we dine together.
- I suppose he would be about fifty when he obtained a doctorate.
You are only supposing this on hearsay, you have no proof.
Many scientists hold the theory that supposes the existence of life in outer space.
Every effect supposes a cause.
An invention supposes an inventor.
Purpose supposes foresight.
His plan supposes a universal desire for peace.
I suppose we'll have lunch at Beijing Hotel.
As she's not here,I suppose she must have gone home.
Come to think of it,I suppose that is my fault.
What makes you suppose that I'm against it?
I hadn't supposed that I should get the first prize.
I had always supposed that you and Mrs. Rose would make a match of it.
Suppose you won a thousand pounds, what would you do with it?
Suppose we hadn't helped him, what would have happened?
Suppose your teacher saw you do that, what would he say?
“Daddy, can I watch TV?”“Suppose you did your homework first?”
Suppose they didn't believe it, how should we convince them?
I haven't got a tablecloth.Suppose we use a sheet.
Suppose you organize it, and I'll be the teacher.
Suppose we plant tea shrubs on these hills.
Suppose we set out at seven. What do you say?
I don't suppose (that) anyone will object to my absence.
I don't suppose (that) I shall be back until eight o'clock.
I don't suppose I'll trouble you again.
I don't suppose we need to worry.
I don't suppose it's the rush hour yet.
I don't suppose you're serious, are you?
I don't suppose anyone will volunteer, will they?
What do you suppose that dance is?
It is supposed that many lives have been lost in the train crash.
All her neighbours supposed her to be an actress.
I should suppose him to be about fifty.
I supposed you both at school this morning.
I never supposed him a hero.
They supposed him dead.
I haven't seen it myself, but it's supposed to be a very good film.
Sing up, fellows, this is supposed to be a celebration, not a funeral!
His wound was at first supposed to be fatal and it was announced that he could not live.
They were supposed to be here an hour ago.
Sam is commonly supposed (to be) foolish.
Business was not as good as it was supposed to be.
There is supposed to be a train at 2：00.
At the present moment he is supposed to be in town.
Every pupil is supposed to be in his classroom at 9 a.m.
He is supposed to be at work at the moment.
They suppose the box to contain books.
You are supposed to report it to the police as soon as possible.
Who is supposed to look after Jack?
Am I supposed to clean all the rooms or just this one?
Your're supposed to pay the bill by Friday.
Is the machine supposed to be installed here?
This law is supposed to help the poor.
You slide your coin into the machine here, and that is supposed to start it working.
This coat was supposed to keep rain out, but the water has soaked through.
She was supposed to have already left for home.
No one was supposed to walk on the grass.
You are not supposed to smoke on the bus.
He supposed himself doing the best thing.
“Will he come?” “I suppose so.”
“Has he arrived?”“I suppose so.”
“I suppose you'll be going to the movie?”“No,I don't suppose so.”
“Is Linda coming?”“I suppose not.”
You don't mind my smoking,I suppose?
That, she supposes, was the way they divided labor.
- suppose a second flood 假定有第二次洪水
- suppose a willingness 意味着愿意
- suppose an inventer 假定有位发明家
- suppose case 假定案例
We come short of our suppose so far, That..yet Troy walls stand.出自：Troilus Cressida,Shakespeare
As we are going..suppose we..call upon him?出自：T. Hardy
My objectionsssupposing I have anyswouldn't give you a sleepless night.出自：W. E. Norris
I suppose (that) he is about forty.
Suppose he is absent, what shall we do?
Supposing he is absent, what shall we do?
Suppose you come to my house tomorrow morning, and I will show you all my books.
- suppose的基本意思是指在证据不全、情况未确定时所作的猜想。可指缺乏确切的事实但可根据一些现象来推测; 也可指提出合乎逻辑推理的假设来论证某事; 还可指委婉地提出建议。
- suppose是及物动词,可接名词、代词或that/wh-从句(可用于虚拟式)作宾语。还可接以“(to be+) n./adj. / prep. -phrase”或动词不定式、现在分词充当补足语的复合宾语。suppose搭用to be构成的复合宾语,如用于被动结构, to be有时可以省去。
- suppose作“作为建议来考虑”解时,常用于祈使句,用以提出建议,可译为“…如何〔怎么样〕?”。与“what if”用法相似,动词一般用现在时或过去时。用过去时时,所提建议听起来不十分肯定。
- 在构成反意疑问句时,如果陈述部分是主从复合句, suppose用作主句谓语动词,则疑问部分应同从句的主谓语一致。
- 为避免重复, suppose后可用so/not来替代前面的句子或句子成分。
- 用作连词,表示提出某种假设或提出某种建议,作“如果”解, suppose和supposing可以通用; 作“即使”或“认为”解,则只能用supposing,不能用suppose。例如:Supposing〔Suppose〕 he can't come, who will do the work?如果他不能前来,谁来做这项工作呢?Suppose we put it off till tomorrow?咱们推迟到明天做怎么样?Supposing you miss him, he is not likely to miss you.即使你碰不到他,他可能会碰到你。
- suppose, assume, presume
- suppose, guess, imagine
这三者均可表示“猜想”。其区别是：imagine指没有事实根据,仅凭主观想象进行猜想; guess指未经认真思索而进行猜想,有时指不着边际地瞎猜; suppose指依据某些事实进行探索性的推测。例如:I guess you've already known the answer.我想你已经知道答案了。I suppose he is late again.我想他又迟到了。
误 I supposed to have left my book in the library.
正 I supposed that I have left my book in the library.
- “You won't be here tomorrow, will you?”“I suppose not.”
析 答句全句意为I don't suppose I will be here tomorrow,故应如正句所译。
- ☆ 15世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的supposer，意为假设；最初源自古典拉丁语的supponere： sub(向下）+ponee(r放），意为放在下面。
- suppose:suppose vt. 推想, 假设, 猜想vi. 料想conj. 假使...结果会怎样 英英解释:动词suppose:1. express a supposition同义词：say2. expect…