- [C]目的,意图 thing that one intends to do, get, be, etc.; intention
- [C]作用,用途,效果 a use; effect; result
- [U]意志,毅力,决心 ability to form plans and carry them out; determination
- vt. 有意,打算 intend
- an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions;
"his intent was to provide a new translation"
"good intentions are not enough"
"it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"
"he made no secret of his designs"
- what something is used for;
"the function of an auger is to bore holes"
"ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- the quality of being determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose;
"his determination showed in his every movement"
"he is a man of purpose"
- propose or intend;
"I aim to arrive at noon"
- reach a decision;
"he resolved never to drink again"
- What is the purpose of your visit?
- He was a man of purpose.
- I am sure that he came here with ill purpose.
- What is the purpose of this meeting?
- He purposed to visit South America.
- I purpose that next year I will go to Hong Kong .
The answer came pat to his purpose.
I bought it for a specific purpose.
Their exact purpose was not always evident to observers.
What you say is foreign to our purpose.
He was disappointed of his purpose.
This machine serves a double purpose.
Don't waste your money; put it to some good purpose.
Her approach to the job lacks purpose.
I know she is steady in her purpose.
A person who is weak of purpose cannot hope to achieve much.
He knew my purpose in writing this book.
His purpose in going to the US is to look for his uncle.
This is the main purpose of my coming here.
What's the purpose of our being?
They purpose a further attempt.
I purpose to continue with the plan.
He purposed to become one of the world's leading conductors.
He purposes to visit America.
He purposes writing a book on his travels.
I purpose coming next week.
I purpose that next year I will go to Hong Kong.
He purposed that he would marry after graduation.
- at cross purposes
彼此不合 not have the same idea or not agree with each other
We are at cross purposes. 我们合不来。
The man and his wife have been at cross purposes in the training of their child. 这对夫妇教育孩子的方法彼此不同。
Tom's parents acted at cross purposes in advising him. 汤姆的父母给他的建议是截然不同的。
That is what comes of getting at cross purposes with Nature. 这就是违背大自然的结果。
- 彼此不合 not have the same idea or not agree with each other
为了…目的 for some intention
This computer is not quite as powerful as the other one, but for all practical purposes it is just as good. 这台电脑的功能不如那一台强,不过在多数情况下它还是挺管用的。
The money is to be used for specific purpose. 这笔钱有专门用途。
The book is valuable for my purpose. 这本书对我很有价值。
Does he come here for business purposes? 他来这儿是做生意的吗?
Talks between the two countries are for political purposes. 两国间的谈判是出于政治目的。
All these are for military purposes. 所有这些都是为了军事目的。
- 为了…目的 for some intention
- for (the) purpose(s) of
为了…目的 for some intention of (sth or doing sth) for (the) purpose(s) of sth/v-ing
Did you come to Paris for the purpose of seeing your family, or for business purposes?你到巴黎来是为了和家人团聚呢,还是为了办公事?
I wouldn't go to London for the mere purpose of buying a new tie.我不会只为买一条新领带而去伦敦。
He came here for the purpose of borrowing money from you.他特地来这里是向你借钱。
He would not sell them because he wanted to keep them for purposes of comparison.他不愿卖掉它们,因为他想把它们留下来作比较用。
- 为了…目的 for some intention of (sth or doing sth) for (the) purpose(s) of sth/v-ing
- on purpose
并非偶然地,故意地 not by accident; intentionally on purpose
I'm sure nobody shot Jack on purpose.我确信没人故意射伤杰克。
“Did you break it accidentally?” “No, on purpose.”“你是无意中损坏的吗?”“不,是故意的。”
She seems to do these things on purpose.她似乎是有意做这些事情的。
“I'm sorry I stepped on your toe; it was an accident.” “It wasn't! You did it on purpose.”“对不起,我踩了你的脚趾了,我不是故意的。”“不,你是存心踩的。”
特地,特有的目的 with a particular stated intention on purpose to-v
I came here on purpose to see you.我特地来这里看你。
He had gone there on purpose to see what happened.他特地去那里看发生了什么事。
He came here on purpose to discuss it with you.他来这儿是要与你讨论这事的。
- 并非偶然地,故意地 not by accident; intentionally on purpose
- serve〔answer〕 one's/the purpose
适合需要〔要求〕,令人满意 do what is necessary or required; be satisfactory
We have found a meeting-place that will serve our purpose. 我们找到了一个很合适的会址。
I haven't got a pen, but a pencil will answer the same purpose. 我没带钢笔,不过铅笔也能起到一样的作用。
- 适合需要〔要求〕,令人满意 do what is necessary or required; be satisfactory
- to little〔no〕 purpose
几乎徒劳地,毫无成效地 with little〔no〕 result or effect
Money has been invested in the scheme to very little purpose. 资金已投入那计划中却几无成效。
I've tried hard for you, but all to no purpose. 我已经为你出了不少力,可是毫无结果。
We begged him not to sign that contract, but to no purpose. 我们求他不要在那份合同上签字,但完全无济于事。
- 几乎徒劳地,毫无成效地 with little〔no〕 result or effect
- to the purpose
His defending argument was well to the purpose. 他的辩白非常中肯。
- 中肯地 honestly
- accomplish purpose 实现目的
- achieve purpose 达到目的
- answer purpose 符合目的,能解决问题
- attain purpose 达到目的
- bring about purpose 达到目的
- carry (out) purpose 实现目标,达到目的
- conceal purpose 掩盖目的
- cover purpose 掩盖真相
- defeat sb's purpose 挫败某人的意图
- disclose purpose 泄露意图
- effect purpose 实现目的
- execute purpose 实现目的
- fit sb's purpose 适合某人的意图
- fulfil purpose 实现目的
- gain purpose 达到目的
- meet purposes of 迎合…的意图
- miss purpose 达不到目的
- realize purpose 实现目的
- serve purpose 起作用,符合目的,能解决问题
- set up purpose 确定目标
- suit sb's purpose 适合某人的意图
- central purpose 中心目的
- chief purpose 主要目的
- commercial purpose 商业意图
- decorative purpose 装饰目的
- definite purpose 明确的目的
- direct purpose 直接目的
- double purpose 双重作用
- evil purpose 罪恶目的
- fixed purpose 固定的目的,坚定不移的宗旨
- good purpose 好的用途,卓有成效
- hidden purpose 不可告人的目的
- high purpose 崇高的目标
- little purpose 少有成效
- main purpose 主要目的
- military purpose 军事目的
- no purpose 毫无成效,毫无结果
- political purpose 政治目的
- practical purpose 实用目的
- primary purpose 首要目的
- real purpose 真正目的,真实的意图
- religious purpose 宗教的目的
- scientific purpose 科学的目的
- selfish purpose 自私的目的
- sole purpose 唯一的目的
- some purpose 相当成功
- temporary purpose 临时的目的
- this purpose 在这一意义上
- useful purpose 有益的作用
- for purpose 为…目的
- be used for ... purpose 用于…目的
- suitable for purpose of 适合…的目的〔用途〕
- for advertising purpose 为了广告的目的
- for business purpose 为了商业目的
- for defence purpose 为了防御目的
- for examination purpose 为了考试
- for literary purpose 为了文学目的
- for most purposes 在大多数情况下
- for religious purpose 为了宗教目的
- similar in purpose 目的相似
- of purpose 有计划地,故意
- a man of purpose 有坚强意志的人
- a sense of purpose 有坚定的追求的意志
- on purpose 故意地,为了
- with purpose of 以…为目的
- drift without purpose (某人)毫无目的地到处漂泊
- purpose a further attempt 企图做进一步的尝试
Fair Helen told me..Of this their purpose hither to this wood.出自：Midsummer Night's Dream,Shakespeare
Studied..with the purpose of profiting by their experience.出自：E. Wilson
A meeting at the Summit may well have served its purpose.出自：Blackwood's Magazine
Our purpose was to avoid casualties.出自：USA Today
Does he also purpose great things?出自：H. Belloc
They purposed to strike from Niagara.出自：W. S. Churchill
- purpose作名词指“目的”时，注意在for charitable purposes等词组中，使用复数形式purposes；
- purpose作名词在for (the) purposes of travel等词组中也使用复数形式，且定冠词the通常略去；
My purpose in writng the book purpose.
- 名词purpose的三种固定用法：be to the/little/no purpose，do something to some/much/no/little purpose，serve the/my purpose；
I purpose giving/to give the committee all the details.
We purpose that such disasters shall not occur again.
- purpose后可跟介词in,也可跟介词of。当purpose前是物主代词时,后面的介词要用in,而不能用of; 当purpose前是定冠词the时,后面的介词要用of,而不用in。purpose后不可跟介词for。
- 在for...purposes短语中, purpose一般多用复数形式,表示泛指的“目的”; 在for purpose(s) of短语中, purposes一般表示泛指, purpose表示特指。
- purpose, aim, goal
这组词的共同含义是“目的”,常通用,如aim〔goal,purpose〕 in life人生目标。它们之间的区别主要在于:1.goal指比较宏大的总目标; purpose指近期比较确定的意图; aim指短期内比较具体、实际的目标。例如:He often asked himself what his goal in life should be.他常常自问人生的目标该是什么。Do you come here for the purpose of seeing your family or for business purpose?你来此地是为了看家还是为了做生意?Their aim was to take over industry for her.他们的目标是为她接管产业。再如下面把aim和goal用在同一个句子里,其区别就更明显易见了：His aim was to pass his examinations this year and go to college so he could eventually reach his goal of being a teacher.他的目标是今年考上大学,以便最终实现当教师的抱负。2.purpose强调“有意去做”(行动坚决); aim强调“集中精力去做”(联想“瞄准”)。在努力程度上, aim比purpose要弱。例如:I am afraid he did it on purpose.我担心他是有意这么做的。His only aim in life is to make a fortune.他生活的唯一目标是赚钱发财。3.goal具有理想性,并不强调最后一定要实现; purpose和aim则暗示能够实现,这在动词aim for中体现最明显。例如:The presidency was the goal of his ambition.他的奋斗目标是当总统。His aim is to become a doctor.他的目标是当一个医生。4.purpose可以由他人来完成; 而goal则往往靠自己去努力。例如:The purpose of a tutorial system was to let each student realize his own educational goal.导师制旨在让学生认清自己的学习目标。5.aim不如goal和purpose生动。
- purpose, object, objective
这三个词均可表示“目标”“目的”。其区别在于:object常指基于个人决心的目标,常较抽象; objective常指具体的、直接的或很快可以达到的目标,为正式用语; purpose为普通用词,既可指人们期望出现的结果,也可指为此进行的活动过程。例如:He has a definite object in life.他对人生有明确的目标。My objective this summer is learning to swim.我今年夏天的目标是学会游泳。The purpose was to halt the rise in the exchange rate of the Swiss franc.目的在于制止瑞士法郎兑换率上涨。
- aim goal purpose end target object objective
误 The table is not sufficiently wide to our purpose.
正 The table is not sufficiently wide for our purpose.
正 The table is not wide enough for our purpose.
误 I didn't want to hurt you on the purpose.
正 I didn't want to hurt you on purpose.
析 表示“有意,故意”,可以说on purpose, purpose前不带定冠词。
误 This is our purpose of publishing our opinions on this matter.
正 This is our purpose in publishing our opinions on this matter.
误 What's the purpose in his visit?
正 What's the purpose of his visit?
析 purpose of sth 表示“某事的目的”; purpose in v -ing表示“做某事的目的或意图”。
误 What was the purpose for your journey to Guangzhou?
正 What was the purpose of your journey to Guangzhou?
误 His purpose for coming home is to see whether his parents are well.
正 His purpose in coming home is to see whether his parents are well.
错句：what is your purpose of going abroad?
纠正：what is your purpose in going abroad?
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的porpos： por (向前） + pos (放），意为向放前。
- purposeful adj. (人或行为)有明确目标的；果断的；坚定的‖purposefully adv. 果断地,有明确目标地‖purposeless adj. 无目的的；无意义的‖purposely adv. 故意地;蓄意地
- purpose:前言部份音标 Phonetic symbol ['pe:pes] 词性及解释 Part of speech and defination n. 目的,意向, 决心, 用途,效果, 论题vt. 意欲,…