- v. 聚集；集合；收集；推测
- n. 聚集；褶子
- vt. ＆ vi. (使)聚集; 集合 (cause to) come together
- vt. 收集; 渐增 obtain (information or qualities) bit by bit
- vt. 采集,采拾; 收割,收获 collect or pick
- vt. ＆ vi. 推断; 了解 understand from sth said or done
- vt. 把…围住,拉紧…; 打褶子 pull sth around or close to sth; draw together in folds or pleats
sewing consisting of small folds or puckers made by pulling tight a thread in a line of stitching
the act of gathering something
assemble or get together;
"gather some stones"
"pull your thoughts together"
collect in one place;
"We assembled in the church basement"
"Let's gather in the dining room"
collect or gather;
"Journals are accumulating in my office"
"The work keeps piling up"
conclude from evidence;
"I gather you have not done your homework"
draw together into folds or puckers
get people together;
"assemble your colleagues"
"get together all those who are interested in the project"
"gather the close family members"
draw and bring closer;
"she gathered her shawl around her shoulders"
look for (food) in nature;
"Our ancestors gathered nuts in the Fall"
increase or develop;
"the peace movement gained momentum"
"the car gathers speed"
- Clouds gather before a thunderstorm.
- People began to gather outside the palace.
- We'll gather at the school gate at eight tomorrow.
- He took the trouble to gather the materials for me.
- I gather everyone has passed the exam.
- The crowd is gathering.
- That evening they gathered in my house and talked till it was late.
- The storm gathers.
- The dusk is gathering.
- A snowball gathers as it rolls.
- More and more water was gathering in the swamp.
- Dust soon gathers if rooms are not swept.
- Dark clouds were gathering in the skies over Europe.War was soon to break out.
- It was customary for merchants to gather outside to discuss business affairs.
- The teacher gathered all the pupils in the auditorium.
- The farmers gather their crops.
- Bees gather honey.
- Swallows gather mud to make their nest.
- This cloth gathers dust.
- He travels about the world gathering facts about little-known disease.
- The teacher went round the class to gather the papers.
- The car gathered speed on the open road.
- The patient is gathering strength.
- It was with the greatest difficulty that the boy gathered the strength to speak, but spoke with a frightful emphasis.
- The hosts are gathered in the adjoining lounge.
- The child's dress is neatly gathered at the neck.
- She gathered that they were installing the machines.
- From what we saw, we gathered (that) he had left the room in a great hurry.
- I gather that you disagree to the plan.
- I gather you are leaving tomorrow.
- From what John said I gather he'll be giving up his job in the summer.
- Please gather me some flowers.
- They gathered him all the dry sticks they could find.
- My boy friend gathered some beautiful flowers for me.
- He often went into enemy-occupied areas to gather information for the Eighth Route Army.
- They are busy gathering information for the manager.
- He has gathered some data for me.
- Most of the information gathered by early Greek scientists was written down by Aristotle.
- It is a gathered skirt.
- gather from( v.+prep. )
从…中推断出 understand sth because of sth that sb says, or other signs
gather sth from sth
These little animals gather nuts from the ground in the autumn, and store them for the winter.
She has in the main gathered her medical experience from practice.
These souvenirs were gathered from all parts of the world.
这些纪念品是从世界各地收集的。gather from sth
Every time there is an accident, a crowd seems to gather from nowhere.
每当出现事故,围观者便蜂拥而来。gather sth from sth
That is what I gathered from his speech.
I could gather nothing from their statement.
I didn't gather much from the confused story he told me.
他跟我说的故事混淆不清,我不怎么明白。gather from sth that-clause
I gather from his letter that he is very happy now.
Did you gather from what the man said that he intended to make a deal for the house?
I gathered from the way she replied that she wasn't very enthusiastic.
从她回答的样子我看出她不太热心。gather from sth wh-clause
I could not gather from his appearance whether he was satisfied or not.
I could not gather from his expression whether he was against or for the plan.
- gather in (v.+adv.)
打折褶 draw material together into small folds, as by sewing
- gather round〔around〕1 (v.+adv.)
围拢 come together in a crowd
Gather around, and I'll tell you a story.
Gather round, friends, and hear the news!
The people gathered round, curious to know what was happening.
Gather round, ladies and gentlemen, and see this wonderful new invention.
When the accident happened, quite a crowd quickly gathered round.
事故发生后,很快就在周围聚集了很多人。gather round〔around〕 to-v
When we left the place, quite a crowd of people gathered around to see us off.
- gather round〔around〕2( v.+prep. )
支持,拥护 support; stand by
gather round〔around〕 sb/sth
He warmly shook hands with those who gathered around the rostrum.
After supper they gathered around the table and worked together.
A small crowd gathered round the speaker to hear what he had to say.
一伙人聚集在演讲者的周围,听他要讲些什么。gather sb/sth round〔around〕 sb/sth
The speaker gathered a small crowd round him, eager to listen to what he had to say.
The kindergartener gathered the children around her.
The boy gathered his toys round him.
这孩子把玩具收拢来放在自己身边。gather round〔around〕 sb
The whole class gathered round the student who had been unfairly failed, and demanded another examination.
- gather to( v.+prep. )
使向…聚拢; 使集拢 collect sb/sth, or things towards sth
gather sb/sth to sth
We must gather the people to our side.
The dressmaker gathered the cloth to the narrowest part of the waist.
- gather together (v.+adv.)
冷静下来; 控制住自己 sober; calm; control oneself
The clouds are gathering together and it's going to rain.
云在聚集,天要下雨了。gather sb/sth ⇔ together
She gathered some friends together.
We must gather the people together to demand our rights.
They gathered their belongings together and set off.
Gather the ends of the wool together and tie them in a knot.
We should often gather together what we have gained in teaching.
Gather together what we have learnt.
把我们学的东西总结一下吧。gather oneself together
I shall have to gather myself together to face the whole board of directors.
You should gather yourself together firstly under conditions of great danger.
- gather up (v.+adv.)
gather sth ⇔ up
The child gathered up his toys and put them away.
We gather up from various sources a great amount of firsthand data.
Gathering up his scattered papers, he pushed them into his case.
I gathered up my few things and left.
If you gather up your strength, you'll be able to do the work well.
如果你集中精力的话,是能做好这项工作的。gather sb/sth ⇔ up
She gathered up the child in her arms.
As the car was overcrowded, we had to gather up our legs.
Gather up your muscles and jump.
收紧肌肉,然后起跳。gather sth ⇔ up
Gathering up all his courage, he turned to face the enemy.
他鼓足勇气,转身面对敌人。gather oneself up
Gather yourself up, and you'll surely succeed.
振作起来,你就一定会成功。gather sb ⇔ up
Gather him up!
- gather an army 招集一支军队
- gather breath 喘过气来
- gather children 把孩子们集合起来
- gather cotton 摘棉
- gather courage 鼓起勇气
- gather data 搜集数据
- gather energy 鼓起劲头
- gather experience 积累经验
- gather facts 搜集事实
- gather figures 搜集数字
- gather flowers 采花
- gather friends 召集朋友
- gather impressions 得出印象
- gather industrial crops 收获经济作物
- gather intelligence 搜集情报
- gather material resources 集中物力
- gather mulberry leaves 采桑
- gather one's things 把东西收拾起来
- gather one's wits 恢复理智
- gather opinions 收集意见
- gather samples 采集标本
- gather speed 逐渐增加速度
- gather taxes 收税
- gather the harvest 收割庄稼
- gather velocity 逐渐加速
- gather wealth 聚集财富
- gather amiably 亲切地召集
- gather annually 一年一度地聚会
- gather assiduously 不知疲倦地收集
- gather cautiously 小心地收集
- gather comprehensively 全面收集
- gather exclusively 独家收集
- gather formally 正式召集
- gather gaily 愉快地聚拢
- gather laboriously 勤奋地收集
- gather methodically 巧妙地收集
- gather noiselessly 无声无息地聚拢
- gather painstakingly 苦心地收集
- gather slowly 慢慢地恢复
- gather around 聚集
- gather in 进去,进入,收割,收进
- gather in a crowd 集成一群
- gather in crops 收庄稼
- gather in the cloth 把布收起来
- gather in the wheat crop 收割小麦
- gather out 选出,挑出
- gather together 集合,聚集
- gather oneself together 重新振作
- gather up 拾拢,拾起,收集,集中,概括,蜷曲(肢体等)
- gather oneself up 打起精神,振作起来
- gather up data 收集资料
- gather up the broken pieces 收拾碎片
- gather up the crumbs 把食品碎屑收在一起
- gather up one's strength 集中精力
- gather up one's tools 收拾工具
He would in time gather a great crowd round him.出自： R. Lynd
He had gathered up in his novels the two divided strands of Restoration fiction.出自： G. Greene
- 在美国口语中I gather的意思是“我想”,只用于一般现在时单数第一人称,相当于I suppose,但语气更婉转。
- gather, assemble, collect, congregate
- He hung up the map on the wall and collected political cadres and teachers to address them.他把那张地图挂在墙上,召集政治干部和政治教员来给他们讲话。
- He travels about the world gathering facts about the little-known disease.他走遍世界,收集鲜为人知的疾病资料。
- The hosts are gathered in the adjoining lounge.许多人聚集在隔壁的休息室里。
- More and more water was gathering in the swamp.沼泽地里的水越积越多。
- He called us all together, and told the assembled company that the exams had been cancelled.他把我们召集到一起,告诉大家考试已经取消。
- The members assembled in the meeting room.成员们都聚集在会议室。
- Assemble your papers and put them in the file.把你的文件归拢好放在这个文件夹内。
- A crowd congregated around the orator.一群人聚集在演说者的周围。
- The crowd congregated in the town square to hear the President speak.人群聚集到市镇广场上来听总统讲话。
- Cattle congregate during a storm.在暴风雨中,牲口聚集在一起。
- gather, conclude, deduce, infer, judge
- 这几个词的共同意思是“推断”。其区别在于:infer指从不太充分的论据或前提中推断出结论; conclude指通过推理或判断而得出结论; deduce指有充分根据地推论或逻辑上地演绎; gather指综合事物得出印象或感想等; judge通常指经过仔细鉴定或评价之后作出的决断。例如:
- From his a manner of dress and style of living,I gather that he is man of considerable means.从他的穿着式样和生活方式,我揣想他是个相当富有的人。
- She had concluded from that her grandmother did not like her.她已从那一点得出结论,断定她祖母不喜欢她。
- If you saw a doctor leaving a house, you might deduce the fact that someone in the house was ill.你要是看到医生从一家出来,你就可以推想那家有人生病。
- We see smoke and infer fire.我们看到烟,从而推断有火。
- Judging from what you said, they ought to succeed.从你说的情况看来,他们应当能成功。
- gather, garner, glean, harvest, reap
- 1.reap常指收割谷物; glean专指收拾或拾起遗留在收割完毕的田里的庄稼或落穗; gather是常用词,指采集蔬菜、花草、水果等; garner是诗歌用语,指贮藏谷物等农产品; harvest则包括以上各词所指的任何一种意义。
- 2.reap引申指遭到报应或得到报偿; glean引申指搜集有价值的零星物品; gather引申指归拢人或物; garner引申指积累具体或抽象的事物。
误 Tom and John gathered together.
正 Tom and John got together.
析 gather有“聚集在一起”的含义,所以当gather后面无宾语使用together,就产生了意义上的重叠。另外,两个人聚到一起也不能用gather,应该用get together。我们盼望着能再次聚会。
误 We are looking forward to our gathering again.
正 We are looking forward to our meeting again.
析 亲朋好友间的“聚会”多用meet或get together。我猜你已经采纳了我的意见。
误 I gathered that you've taken my advice.
正 I gather that you've taken my advice.
析 在I gather这样的词组里,通常用一般现在时,而不用一般过去时或现在完成时来引出已经了解到的情况或一段引语。她的爱好是集邮。
误 Her hobby is gathering stamps.
正 Her hobby is collecting stamps.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的gadrian，意为聚集。