- vt. 区别；辨认；使显著
- vt. & vi. 辨别,区别 see, hear, recognize, understand well the difference
- vt. 显扬自己,使自己扬名 behave so as to bring credit to oneself
mark as different;
"We distinguish several kinds of maple"
detect with the senses;
"The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"
"I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
be a distinctive feature, attribute, or trait; sometimes in a very positive sense;
"His modesty distinguishes him from his peers"
make conspicuous or noteworthy
identify as in botany or biology, for example
- Speeches distinguish human beings from animals.
- It's important to distinguish fact from fiction.
- The twins were so much alike that it was impossible to distinguish one from the other.
- We should distinguish between right and wrong.
- She distinguished herself by her coolness and bravery.
- Can you distinguish the twins apart?
- The twins are so much alike that you could scarcely distinguish them.
- She can distinguish them by their voices.
- He is good at distinguishing the sounds of different instruments in an orchestra.
- A person with good eyesight can distinguish distant objects.
- We could distinguish the path only by the flashes of lightning.
- Sometimes formal English and informal English must be carefully distinguished.
- distinguish between (v.+prep.)
辨别,识别(两者)之间的不同 recognize the difference between (two things or people)
distinguish between sth
People who can't distinguish between colours are said to be colour-blind.
We can distinguish between gold and silver.
- distinguish for (v.+prep.)
因…而出名 be famous for (sth)
be distinguished for sth
He was distinguished for his eloquence.
He is distinguished for his sense of humour.
He is distinguished for his profound learning in mathematics.
- distinguish from (v.+prep.)
显示出特性; 将…与…区别开 show the difference between (sb or sth) and (sb or sth else) set (sb or sth) apart from (sb or sth else)
- distinguish oneself (v.+pron.)
突出; 炫耀 make oneself noticeable by one's behaviour
- distinguish a distant object 辨识远处物体
- distinguish light in the distance 看得见远处的灯光
- distinguish road mark in the fog 看清雾中的路标
- distinguish carefully 仔细区别
- distinguish clearly 使十分显著
- distinguish crudely 粗俗地显耀
- distinguish justly 公正地区别
- distinguish obviously〔sharply〕 明显地区别
- distinguish readily 容易看清
- distinguish among 在…之间辨别
- distinguish as 以…而出名
- distinguish as a poet 以诗人而著名
- distinguish as a writer 作为一名作家出了名
- distinguish between ... and 把…和…区别开来,辨别
- distinguish between good and evil 区别善恶
- distinguish between illusion and reality 分清虚实
- distinguish between innocence and guilt 分清无罪和有罪
- distinguish by 因…而出名
- distinguish by bravery 因勇敢而出名
- distinguish by scholarship 以博学而著名
- distinguish by winning gold medal 因获得金牌而出名
- distinguish for 因…而出名
- distinguish for eloquence 因雄辩而扬名
- distinguish for its public service 为公务尽力而闻名
- distinguish from 把…和…区别开来,分清
- distinguish in 在(某方面)出名
- distinguish in literature 在文学上出人头地
- distinguish in music 在音乐方面成就出众
- distinguish into classes 把(东西)分成类
Self-consciousness is one of the things that distinguish men from animals.出自： B. Russell
- distinguish作“与众不同”解时,后常接介词by, for或in。
- distinguish between, distinguish from
- distinguish between与distinguish from的意思基本相同。但between有时可以省略,意思仍然不变,而from则不可省略, distinguish from偶尔也作“使…不同于”解, distinguish between则无此义。
- distinguish, differ
- distinguish既可作及物动词,也可作不及物动词,而differ只可作不及物动词。当differ译作“有区别,不同于”时,一般不以人作主语。此外, differ还可作“看法不同,与…意见相左”解,而distinguish则无此义。
- distinguish, demarcate, differentiate, discriminate
- distinguish用于有联系的各种事物,可以相像,也可以不相像; differentiate用于同类物品; discriminate用于只有细微差别的事物,如真伪钞票; 而demarcate则用于区别明显,犹如有一条界线的事物。
- ☆ 16世纪60年代进入英语，直接源自中古法语的distinguiss；最初源自古典拉丁语的distinguere，意为分辨，分开。
- differentiate 区分
- see 看见
- discriminate 区分
- tell apart 辨别
- perceive 注意到
- characterize 表示 ... 的典型...
- dignify 使高贵
- honor 荣誉
- detect 发觉
- define 规定
- discern 辨别
- recognize 承认
- pick out 挑出
- separate 分开的
- make out 起草
- mark 记号
- decide 决定
- extricate 使解脱
- spot 地点
- identify 鉴定
- set apart 分开
- single out 挑选
- classify 分类
- individualize 使具有个性
- coordinate （使）协调
- grace 优美
- qualify 使具备资格
- specify 详细说明
- know 了解
- tell 告诉
- make 做
- famous 著名的
- apart 相距
- signalize 使显著
- key 键
- recognise <英>承认
- key out 切断
- discover 发现
- name 名称
- describe 描述
- secern 区别
- signalise 表明