- 西伊（Thomas Jefferson Jackson，1866—
- vt. & vi. 看见; 观察 be able to use one's eyes; observe with one's eyes
- vt. 领会,理解 understand
- vt. & vi. 访问; 会见 visit; meet
- vt. & vi. 考虑 consider; think over
- vt. 务必做到; 保证 be sure to do sth; promise to do sth
- vt. 发生; 经历,经受 happen; undergo; experience
the seat within a bishop's diocese where his cathedral is located
perceive by sight or have the power to perceive by sight;
"You have to be a good observer to see all the details"
"Can you see the bird in that tree?"
"He is blind--he cannot see"
perceive (an idea or situation) mentally;
"Now I see!"
"I just can't see your point"
"Does she realize how important this decision is?"
"I don't understand the idea"
perceive or be contemporaneous with;
"We found Republicans winning the offices"
"You'll see a lot of cheating in this school"
"The 1960's saw the rebellion of the younger generation against established traditions"
"I want to see results"
imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind;
"I can't see him on horseback!"
"I can see what will happen"
"I can see a risk in this strategy"
deem to be;
"She views this quite differently from me"
"I consider her to be shallow"
"I don't see the situation quite as negatively as you do"
get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally;
"I learned that she has two grown-up children"
"I see that you have been promoted"
see or watch;
"view a show on television"
"This program will be seen all over the world"
"view an exhibition"
"Catch a show on Broadway"
"see a movie"
"I'll probably see you at the meeting"
"How nice to see you again!"
find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort;
"I want to see whether she speaks French"
"See whether it works"
"find out if he speaks Russian"
"Check whether the train leaves on time"
be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something;
"He verified that the valves were closed"
"See that the curtains are closed"
"control the quality of the product"
go to see for professional or business reasons;
"You should see a lawyer"
"We had to see a psychiatrist"
go to see for a social visit;
"I went to see my friend Mary the other day"
go to see a place, as for entertainment;
"We went to see the Eiffel Tower in the morning"
take charge of or deal with;
"Could you see about lunch?"
"I must attend to this matter"
"She took care of this business"
receive as a specified guest;
"the doctor will see you now"
"The minister doesn't see anybody before noon"
date regularly; have a steady relationship with;
"Did you know that she is seeing an older man?"
"He is dating his former wife again!"
see and understand, have a good eye;
"The artist must first learn to see"
deliberate or decide;
"See whether you can come tomorrow"
"let's see--which movie should we see tonight?"
observe as if with an eye;
"The camera saw the burglary and recorded it"
observe, check out, and look over carefully or inspect;
"The customs agent examined the baggage"
"I must see your passport before you can enter the country"
go or live through;
"We had many trials to go through"
"he saw action in Viet Nam"
accompany or escort;
"I'll see you to the door"
match or meet;
"I saw the bet of one of my fellow players"
make sense of; assign a meaning to;
"What message do you see in this letter?"
"How do you interpret his behavior?"
- If you shut your eyes you can't see.
- When the sun goes down, we can see the stars.
- It is getting dark and I cannot see to read.
- "The door opens like this.""Oh, I see."
- I'm mystified; I just can't see how he did it.
- The teacher checked the roster to see whom he would teach this year.
- In so far as I can see, the representatives are all satisfied with the arrangement.
- This little girl has seen so much misery in her time.
- I can't see myself allowing people to cheat me.
- The see of the pope is namely the bishop of Rome.
- The blind do not see.
- I can hardly see without my glasses.
- He sees poorly with his left eye.
- She sees no further than her nose.
- None is so blind as those who will not see.
- I see, you are on leave.
- Let me see, maybe we will be free Saturday morning.
- Can you see to write?
- It's getting dark and I couldn't see to read.
- Whenever anyone teased Jacelin about his weight, he saw red.
- See you again!
- I'm glad to see you.
- I hope to see him shortly.
- I looked but saw nobody.
- I have not seen him for a long time.
- Do you see that light in the distance?
- Fifty thousand people saw the match.5
- Let me see your ticket, please.
- For more information, see page 11.
- We have never seen such rudeness.
- Did anyone see the accident?
- I saw much of him.
- I saw little of him.
- I saw quite a lot of him.
- I have seen much less of him.
- I saw a great deal of him.
- I saw nothing of him.
- This was the last I saw of him.
- I have come to see the last of him.
- It was the first I ever saw of him.
- He saw a strange sight.
- I can't see the advantage of doing that.
- I can see a great future for you in music.
- Can you see my point?
- She laughed politely even though she didn't see the joke.
- She saw a little of life.
- You'd better see a doctor.
- We're going to see grandma in hospital tomorrow.
- I went to see an old friend yesterday.
- Brooks is too busy to see visitors.
- The manager can see you for ten minutes at present.
- April 1st saw the opening of the meeting.4
- This stadium has seen many thrilling football matches.
- This year has seen a big increase in road accidents.
- The coat of mine has seen hard wear.
- He has seen a great deal in his life.
- She never saw such grief.
- I am seeing him this evening.
- I don't approve of his action, but he explained his reason and then I saw the light.
- He wouldn't agree, no matter how hard we argued, but eventually he saw the light and changed his mind.
- A new method will see the light.
- During the war, he saw service in the Far East.
- He saw service in both World Wars.
- If you watch carefully, you will see how to do it.
- We often write down a word in order to see how to spell it.
- I saw his eyes fixed on me.
- They saw the job had been done.
- I saw that she did not intend to come back.
- I saw that his mind was elsewhere then.
- He saw at a glance that something unusual had happened.
- I see in the paper that the Prime Minister has been in London.
- I see in the magazine that the government lost two votes in parliament.
- We saw that the plan would work.
- I see that it is useless arguing about it.
- They saw that further resistance was hopeless.
- See who is at the door.
- Can you see what that sign says?
- Now I could see more clearly what loneliness was.
- I see why he did it.
- I can't see why she's so against the idea.
- I could not see how the trick is done.
- I will come and see if it is true.
- Can you really see Facer as the new headmaster?
- Her colleagues see her as a future Prime Minister.
- She sees this incident as further proof of his incompetence.
- I can't see her as a ballet dancer.
- Can you see him as Hamlet?
- I saw myself as the saviour of my country.
- We're happy to see China a strong country.
- I saw him as trustworthy.
- I saw the box as empty.
- I am delighted to see all so happy.
- I have never seen her so sure of herself.
- I saw the trouble to be unavoidable.
- The director did not see (it) fit to call another committee meeting so soon.
- I saw her face go pale.
- You wouldn't see her leave here all alone?
- You can't see people starve without trying to help them, can you?
- He was seen to fall.
- I saw him getting on a bus just now.
- I'm very glad to see you looking so happy.
- We saw him working in the garden this morning.
- It's thrilling to see people diving into the sea from a cliff.
- Did you see that creep eyeing up every woman at the party?
- Can you see women going into combat carrying forty-pound guns?
- I can't see myself lending him money, can you see him ever paying it back?
- I saw her lying there.
- They were seen speaking to the teacher.
- She was seen running away from the scene of the crime.
- A panda was seen climbing up a bamboo.
- Have you ever seen a man hanged?
- He saw his own brother murdered by the terrorists.
- Looking up,I saw her eyes fixed on me in curiosity.
- Have you ever seen the mountains covered in snow?
- At last the sailors saw land ahead.
- I see many difficulties ahead.
- I'm glad to see you back.
- Eby will see you back as far as the supermarket.
- He insisted on seeing me home.
- She is seeing him home.
- I'll see you to the station.
- see about (v.+prep.)
考虑 considerWe can't decide now, but we'll see about it.我们现在还不能决定,但我们会考虑的。
- see across (v.+prep.)
带(某人)安全地通过 take sb safely across sth
see sb across sth
I saw the old lady across the road.
She was employed to see the children across the busy street into the school yard.
- see after (v.+prep.)
照料; 料理 receive; take care of; attend to
see after sb/sth
Who's going to see after the visitors when they arrive?
It's the duty of the young people to see after the aged.
She promised to see after the children when their mothers were on the night shift.
Will you please see after my luggage while I'm away?
I'll see after the details of the contract.
- see against (v.+prep.)
根据…考虑 consider according to sth常用于 be ～ed 结构
- see alone (v.+adv.)
单独见面 meet sb alone
see sb alone
I wish to see you alone.
- see around (v.+prep.)
(带某人)参观 visit; take sb on a tour of a place〔说明〕 see around作此解时通常不用于被动结构。
see around sth
This mirror enables you to see around corners.
你从这面镜子里可以看到拐角那边的东西。see sb around sth
I've seen her around the school, but I don't know her name.
我在学校附近看到过她,但是我不知道她叫什么名字。see around sth
May we see around the house?
Would you like to see around the old castle?
你想参观这座古老的城堡吗?see sb around sth
Mr. Smith will see the visitors around the factory.
- see for oneself
亲眼看看 use one's own judgement in forming an opinion, by experiencing or examing the facts directly
- see from (v.+prep.)
从…角度观察〔考虑〕 observe or think over sth from a certain angle
see sth from sth
He sees things from a different angle from ourselves.
Try to see the matter from her point of view.
- see in1 (v.+adv.)
把(某人)引进来 conduct sb in
Close the door, so that no one can see in while I dress.
关上门,这样我穿衣服时别人就看不见了。see sb ⇔ in
The garage doors are rather narrow, you'd better let me see you in.
- see in2 (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉看中〔喜欢〕 have sth as a reason for liking (sb/sth)〔说明〕 see in作此解时不用于进行体,也不用于被动结构。
- see into (v.+prep.)
预见 understand or have knowledge of (sb/sth such as the future)〔说明〕 see into作此解时不用于进行体,也不用于被动结构。
see into sth
Can you see into the room?
你能看见房间的里面吗?see sb into sth
Would you like me to see you into the garage?
我引你把车开进车库好吗?see into sth
He said he would see into the matter himself.
It is difficult for me to see into his full meaning.
我很难弄清他的全部意思。see into sth
The old man claims to be able to see into the future.
- see of (v.+prep.)
与(某人)在一起; 见到某人 be in (the company) of sb
see sth of sb
They're good friends and see a lot of each other.
They've seen little of each other recently.
Where's Facer?I've seen nothing of him all week.
- see off1 (v.+adv.)
把(某人)赶走 drive sb awayAfter a few hours of fierce fighting, we saw the intruding bandits off.经过几小时的激烈战斗,我们赶走了入侵的匪徒。
- see off2 (v.+prep.)
(把某人)从…赶走 drive sb away from some place
see sb off sth
The farmer threatened to see the thieves off his land with a gun.
- see out (v.+adv.)
持续到结束 last until the end of sthI don't think grandfather will see out another month.我认为祖父再也活不到一个月了。
- see over1 (v.+adv.)
从上方看 see sth from a high place
The little children can't see over; will you lift them up?
- see over2 (v.+prep.)
查看 visit and examine a placeWe want to see over the house before we decide to rent it.我们想先看一下房子然后再决定租不租。
- see through1 (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉帮助渡过难关 help sb survive a difficult time or crisisHis business was about to fail, but the bank saw him through.他的生意几乎破产,银行帮他渡过了难关。
- see through2 (v.+prep.)
帮助渡过难关 help sb survive a difficult time or crisis
see through sth
Don't fool me; I can see through your tricks!
The old man's story was seen through at once.
老家伙的谎言一下子就被识破了。see sb through sth
That overcoat should see me through the winter.
This money will see us through the week.
- see to (v.+prep.)
照顾; 料理 take care of; attend to
see to sb/sth/v-ing
He knew the cut was dirty but he would not see to it, and so contracted poisoning.
A man was there to see to our luggage.
See to the fire while I'm out.
We should see to the people's housing problem.
I'll see to the actual business.
I must go and see to some things.
The electrician's come to see to the faulty light-switch.
I must see to getting the dinner ready.
- see (to it) that
务必做到; 保证 be sure to do sth; promise to do sth
see (to it) that-clause
See to it that you're ready on time!
See to it that you are here punctually tomorrow.
I'll see to it that they are present at the meeting.
They saw that the same mistake didn't happen again.
I promise to see that the job is done on time.
See that everything is ready by twelve.
When you leave, see that you lock the door.
Steps are taken to see that the paper appeared regularly.
- see up1 (v.+adv.)
引上去 take sb to a place on a higher level
If there's light at the top you should be able to see up.
如果顶端有灯光,你就能看到上面的情景了。see sb ⇔ up
I'll see you up to the director's office on the top floor.You'll never find it on your own.
- see up2 (v.+prep.)
往…的上方看 look sth upwards
see sth up sth
I can see a bird up the chimney; how can we get it out?
- see with (v.+prep.)
借助…看 visit and examine (by tool or sth else)
see with sth
I see so much better with my new glasses!
我戴上新眼镜后看得清楚多了!see sth with sth
You can see distant objects with this special instrument.
- seeing that
因为,由于,鉴于 since, because of
- see aboard 送(某人)上船〔飞机〕等
- see again 再见
- see ahead 看到前方的…,朝前看,预见
- see alone 单独见面
- see double 把一物看成二形
- see far and wide 高瞻远瞩
- see further 看得更远
- see hardly 几乎看不见
- see home 送(某人)回家
- see well 看得清楚
- see clearly 清楚地体会到
- see comprehensively 综合地理解
- see differently 以不同角度观察
- see dimly 朦胧地看见
- see distinctly 独特地理解
- see faintly 看得不清楚
- see lately 最近见到
- see objectively 客观地考虑
- see poorly 视力不好
- see previously 预先考虑
- see regularly 定期看望
- see shortly 不久见到
- see subjectively 主观地考虑
- see vividly 清晰地看见
- see sb back 送某人回家
- see in 往里看,把…引进,庆祝…的到来
- see the New Year in 庆祝新年的到来
- see off 送行
- see out 进行到底
- see over 从上方看,查看〔视〕
- see through 做到底,帮助渡过难关
- see about 查看,负责处理
- see about an important matter 着手办理一件重要事情
- see about the tickets 负责弄到票
- see after 照料,看管
- see after children 照顾孩子
- see around 看到,参观
- see around the factory 带…参观工厂
- see as 视为,考虑可接受
- see sb as a friend 把某人看作朋友
- see sb as a member of organization 接受某人成为组织中的一员
- see for a job 求职
- see sb in a dream 梦见某人
- see into 调查,看出,了解
- see into a matter 调查某事
- see out of the corners of one's eyes 斜眼偷看,侧目而视
- see over 从…的上方看
- see to 负责,留心,照料,陪伴到
- see to the arrangements 照看安排的情况
- see to the cooking 负责做饭
- see to the people's housing problem 注意人民的住房问题
- see sb to the director's office 陪某人去主任办公室
- see sb to the door 送某人到门口
- see sb to the station 送某人到火车站
- see through 领会,看透,帮助…渡过(困难等)
- see sb through college 供某人读完大学
- see sb through period of grief 帮助某人渡过悲痛的时期
- see sb through the difficulty 帮助某人克服困难
- see through the little game 看穿那套小把戏
- see through the scheme 看穿阴谋
- see through trick 看穿诡计
- see with 同意
O'er Roslin..A wondrous blaze was seen to gleam.出自： Sir W. Scott
She turned so that he could see all her face.出自： G. Vidal
Do you see the light on those green trees?出自： W. Bronk
- “see+量词+of”表示看见某人的频率。see more of sb 是固定习语,意为“较多地见到”, more可换用little, quite a lot, much less, a great deal等表示相应的意义。
- see接现在分词或动词不定式构成复合宾语时,现在分词表示宾语的一个主动、正在执行的动作(多是目前的事情),有时也可表示某动作过程的一部分,还可表示状态; 而动词不定式则侧重一个完整的过程(多是指过去的事情),表示一个事件。see接以动词的过去分词充当补足语的复合宾语时,表状态,含有被动意义。
- see表示“看见”时,为表知觉的动词,通常不用一般现在时态或进行时态,而常常用 can see和 could see来表示“(当时)看到”。作“会见”“送”解时,可用进行体。
- 在see to it that后的从句中常用一般现在时表示将来,强调某一愿望或要求一定要实现,即使在句子中有明确表示将来的时间状语,也用一般现在时,不用将来时。在口语中to it可省略。
- You see?的意思是“明白吗”,常用于句首,是一种无实义的口语。let me see和I will see意为“我考虑考虑”“我想想”。
- see a/the doctor的意思是“看病”,在方言中可译为“看医生”。
I often see him walk up the hill.
He is often seen to walk up the hill.
I often see him walk up the hill.
I often see him walking up the hill.
I hope to see you well again soon.
I was sorry to see him so much changed.
I shall come to see you tomorrow morning.
If you call tomorrow morning, I shall be glad to see you.
I must see to getting the dinner ready.
- see after和see into同look after和look into的意思相同，但是没有look的使用普遍。
- see sb/sth to/ -v, see sb/sth v-ing, see sb/sth v-ed
- 1.接动词不定式时表示动作的全过程; 接现在分词只表示动作过程的一部分; 而接过去分词则表示已经完成的动作,含有被动意义。例如:
- I saw her put the key in the lock, turn it and open the door.我看见她把钥匙插进锁眼,转动钥匙,把门打开。
- I saw the train coming into the station.我看见火车开进站来。
- He saw the man knocked down by a car.他看到那男子被汽车撞倒了。
- We saw the sun rise.
- We saw the sun rising behind the trees.
- see, call, drop in, visit
- 1.从语气上说:visit是正式用语; call比较正式; drop in则是日常用语,有“顺便”“不定期”的意味; see一般用于亲友间的访问。例如:
- The foreign delegation is visiting in Beijing.外国代表团正在北京访问。
- The Britain Ambassador called on Premier Zhou Enlai yesterday.英国大使昨天拜会了周恩来总理。
- He sometimes drops in to see me in the evening.他有时晚上来看我。
- I'll go to see my parents tomorrow.明天我要去看望父母。
- I visited〔called〕 on the foreign guests yesterday.昨天我走访了外国客人。
- In China, restaurant and hotel kitchens are visited〔called〕 on regularly by officers of public health.在中国,卫生人员经常检查饭店和旅馆的厨房。
- The doctor is out.He went to visit an emergency case.医生不在。他有急病号,出诊去了。
- I shall call on you this afternoon.
- When he visited us last year he told us a story every evening.
- 去年他来我们这儿作客时,每晚都给 我们讲一个故事。
- 5.社交场合用的“名片”英美说法不同。美国称calling card,英国称visiting card。
- see, look, watch
- We looked but saw nothing.我们看了,可是什么也没看到。
- They are watching a TV play.他们在看电视剧。
- see, eye
- She eyed him from top to toe.她从头到脚打量他。
- They eyed each other's newly bought shoes.他们看着彼此新买的鞋。
- see, observe, perceive
- 这三个词都可表示“察觉”。它们之间的区别是：see是一般用语,指意识到眼前的东西,但不一定有意去注意或加以识别; perceive是正式用语,含有有意识地去注意或识别所见东西的意思; observe则表示有意识地察看。试比较以下三个句子的含义：
- I saw someone standing in the doorway.
- We perceived the figure to be your room- mate.
- We observed a change in her.
- see, appreciate, comprehend, understand
- The child read the story but didn't comprehend its full meaning.那孩子看了这篇故事,但没有理解它的全部意思。
- If you can use a word correctly and effectively you comprehend it.如果你能正确、有效地使用一个词,你就是了解它了。
- My wife doesn't understand me.我的妻子不理解我。
- I've read the letter but I don't understand it.这封信我已经看过了,可是看不懂。
- She appreciated a work of art.她欣赏一件艺术品。
- I am incapable of appreciating classical music.我不会欣赏古典音乐。
- Seeing is believing.
- To see is to believe.
- call on，see，visit，drop in
- call on社交上的正式用语，指无目的、礼节性的短暂拜访，访问者与被访问者之间一般只有社交或公务关系。
- drop in多指在计划之外或事先未打招呼的偶然、顺便访问。也可指参观。
误 The old woman saw him from head to foot.
正 The old woman looked at him from head to foot.
析 look at和 see 都有“看”的意思。前者侧重“看”的动作和过程,后者强调“看”的结果。你气色很好,我从来没看见你气色这样好过。
误 You look so well. I've never seen you to look so well before.
正 You look so well. I've never seen you look so well before.有人看见那贼走进一家杂货店。
误 The thief was seen come into a grocery.
正 The thief was seen to come into a grocery.
析 在主动语态中, see后面可以接不定式作补语,不带to; 被动语态中则须带to。我们看见书店前一大群人在等着买那本书。
误 We saw crowds of people waited outside the bookshop wanting to buy the book.
正 We saw crowds of people waiting outside the bookshop wanting to buy the book.
误 Thousands of people were at the airport to see off them.
正 Thousands of people were at the airport to see them off.
析 see...off意为“为…送行”,它的宾语是人称代词时,需放在see off之间。我每天吃过晚饭就看电视。
误 I see television after dinner every day.
正 I watch television after dinner every day.
析 习惯上,“看电视”应该说 watch television,而不使用see television。我临窗站着,望着人们匆匆走过。
误 I stood by the window, seeing people passing by in a hurry.
正 I stood by the window, watching people passing by in a hurry.
误 Through the window,I was seeing nothing but roofs.
正 Through the window,I could see nothing but roofs.我看到了海。
误 I see the sea.
误 I am seeing the sea.
正 I can see the sea.
正 I could see the sea.
析 当see表示“看见”时,是表示知觉的动词,通常不用一般现在时或进行时,而常常用 can see或 could see来表示“(当时)看到”,一般现在时表示将来动作。如果我负责扫地,你是否负责擦窗户?
误 If I'll see to sweep the floor, will you see to clean the windows?
正 If I'll see to sweeping the floor, will you see to cleaning the windows?
析 see to表示“负责,注意”,其中to是介词,所以 see to后面应跟动名词,而不能跟动词不定式。务必使你班上的每个学生都拿到一本新词典。
误 See it that each student in your class gets a copy of the new dictionary.
正 See to it that each student in your class gets a copy of the new dictionary.
正 See that each student in your class gets a copy of the new dictionary.
析 see to it that...是动词 see的一个常用句型,作“务必要”解,这里的 to不能省略,但在口语中常将 to it 一起省去,仅说see that...。他骗不了她; 她每次都能识破他的骗局。
误 He can't fool her; she sees him through every time.
正 He can't fool her; she sees through him every time.
析 短语see through表示“看透”或“识破”, through在此为介词,宾语应置于through后。我很高兴,见到了你的妈妈。
误 I am glad to see your mother.
正 I am glad to have seen your mother.
析 当不定式to see所表示的动作发生在谓语所表示的动作之前时,该不定式就要用完成式 have seen。现在你明白我的意思了吗?
误 Now you are seeing what I mean?
正 Now you see what I mean?
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的seon，意为观察，看。