- v. 发现；偶然撞见；发觉
- vt. 发现 find or learn out
- vt. 碰见,撞见 find unexpectedly
- vt. 了解到,认识到,发觉 come to know; realize
discover or determine the existence, presence, or fact of;
"She detected high levels of lead in her drinking water"
"We found traces of lead in the paint"
get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally;
"I learned that she has two grown-up children"
"I see that you have been promoted"
make a discovery, make a new finding;
"Roentgen discovered X-rays"
"Physicists believe they found a new elementary particle"
make a discovery;
"She found that he had lied to her"
"The story is false, so far as I can discover"
"the archeologists chanced upon an old tomb"
"she struck a goldmine"
"The hikers finally struck the main path to the lake"
make known to the public information that was previously known only to a few people or that was meant to be kept a secret;
"The auction house would not disclose the price at which the van Gogh had sold"
"The actress won't reveal how old she is"
"bring out the truth"
"he broke the news to her"
"unwrap the evidence in the murder case"
see for the first time; make a discovery;
"Who discovered the North Pole?"
identify as in botany or biology, for example
- He was later discovered to have been a spy.
- The fact is that he did not discover it.
- I discovered him kissing my wife.
- We discovered that our luggage had been stolen.
- He was dead for three weeks before anyone discovered him.
- As soon as he discovered the police, he ran away.
- One day while sweeping the compound he discovered seven eggs in a pile of straw.
- The prospectors have discovered such minerals as calcite, quartz here.
- Recently they have discovered a comet.
- Our oil-workers have discovered another big oil field.
- Columbus discovered America, but did not explore the new continent.
- He discovered his mistake too late.
- Gilbert discovered electricity, but Edison invented the light bulb.
- Modern astronomers have discovered over 100 million such galaxies.
- The prisoner had discovered the danger and was now working very quietly.
- Issac Newton discovered the law of gravity.
- She would not discover her name to the stranger.
- He discovered their plans to his brother.
- He was cautious lest he should be discovered by the enemy.
- If their identity had been discovered it would have meant sure death.
- Xi Er was at last discovered in a cave where she had been living for many years.
- The bicycle which had disappeared was discovered at the football ground.
- If one is discovered to have developed high blood-pressure or heart-disease, he is immediately transferred to light work.
- His talent as an author was soon discovered.
- The first virus was discovered in 1898.
- I never discovered how to open the box.
- He discovered how to start the machine.
- They have not discovered how to improve their techniques.
- Chemists discovered how to make synthetic rubber.
- Issac Newton discovered that white light is made of seven colours.
- We have discovered that he is quite careless in his work.
- I suddenly discovered that I forgot my wallet in the taxi.
- We discovered that we had been cheated.
- We discovered that it was too late to do anything about it.
- We suddenly discovered that it was too late to catch the train.
- Scientists have discovered that this disease is carried by rats.
- The doctor discovered that he had T.B. of the lung.
- She discovered that she was being closely watched.
- A certain scientist had discovered that a metal called uranium gave off a kind of radiation, which Marie Curie was later to call radioactivity.
- Finally they discovered that he was leaving them to search for wild plants for his meals.
- Police have discovered that Mary's money was stolen by her neighbor.
- The enemy started to retreat, but they discovered that it was too late, for the bridge they had to pass had been destroyed.
- I quickly went to the nearby village but discovered that there was not a person to be seen.
- It was discovered that their food was running short.
- It was discovered that her pearls were missing.
- At last I have discovered what true pleasure is.
- Have you discovered when they are going to attack us?
- We'll discover who did it.
- Did you ever discover who sent you the flowers?
- Has the doctor discovered how the man died?
- We discovered her to be a good cook.
- They discovered her to be a good singer.
- We discovered her to be a good dancer.
- We discovered him to be an impostor.
- The public eventually discovered it to be a deception.
- If she was discovered to be pregnant, she would be fired.
- When returning back, he discovered the room to be in disorder.
- She discovered the cat under the table.
- We discovered them sitting round a fire and talking.
- An old man discovered the boy stealing the pens.
- They discovered him stealing public property.
- I discovered him living next to me.
- He was ashamed to think that they should discover him doing such a thing.
- He was asked to resign from the club when he was discovered cheating at cards.
- We discovered the powder to consist of harmful ingredients.
- The policemen discovered the murderer to have run away.
- discover a new star 发现一颗新的恒星
- discover a particular activity 发现特定的活动
- discover a thief 发现小偷
- discover America 发现美洲
- discover facts 发现事实
- discover gold mine 发现金矿
- discover mistakes 发现错误
- discover new coal mines 发现新煤矿
- discover one's identity 暴露自己的身份
- discover subject 发现学科
- discover the islands 发现岛屿
- discover the law of gravity 发现万有引力定律
- discover the truth 查明真相
- discover vast realms of the spirit 显示出广阔的天地
- discover long ago 很久以前就发现
- discover sooner or later 迟早发现
- discover then 然后发现
- discover too late 很晚发现
- discover amazingly 惊奇地发现
- discover astonishingly 惊奇地发现
- discover astoundingly 震惊地发现
- discover finally 最终发现
- discover miraculously 不可思议地发现
- discover painfully 充满艰辛地发现
- discover readily 有准备地发现
- discover remarkably 非凡地发现
- discover scientifically 科学上发现
- discover spectacularly 壮观地发现
- discover startlingly 大吃一惊地发现
- discover stupendously 了不起地发现
- discover subsequently 随之发现
- discover suddenly 突然发觉
- discover thrillingly 惊心动魄地发现
- discover traitorously 发现不忠
- discover trivially 不重要地发现
The Prince discovered to Claudio that he loved my niece.出自：Much Ado about Nothing , Shakespeare
They contain some secrets which Time will discover.出自： J. Davies
- discover是及物动词,可接名词、代词、带疑问词的不定式、that/wh-从句作宾语,也可接以动词不定式、现在分词和“to be+ n./adj./prep. -phrase”充当补足语的复合宾语。可用于被动结构。
- discover, find, find out, invent, look for
- 这组词(组)都有“发明”“发现”的意思。discover指发现或偶然发现原来就存在但一直未被认识的东西; look for作“寻找”解时,指寻找的动作和过程; find指寻找的结果,即“找到”,是非延续性动词,不如discover正式; find out指经过观察、调查把某事、某物查出来,搞清楚,弄明白,多用于复杂而不易直接查出的情况; invent指发明原来不存在的东西,有时也可指虚构、捏造。例如:
- Whilhelm Roentgen discovered X rays.威尔海尔姆·伦琴发现了X射线。
- He was amazed to find her there.发现她在那里,他很吃惊。
- Let's try and find out what's at the back of this problems.咱们想法弄清问题的背景是怎样的。
- Whatt invented the steam engine.瓦特发明了蒸汽机。
- She ran across some old letters when she was looking for something else.她找别的东西时,偶然翻出几封过去的信。
- discover, uncover
- uncover只用于贬义,一般译作“揭露”。另外, discover还可接复合宾语,而uncover不可。例如:
- We uncovered the essence of the thing.我们揭露了那件事的本质。
- discover, ascertain, determine, learn, unearth
- discover指经过调查、探索去发现已经存在或可能存在、事实上的东西,这种发现也可能出于偶然; ascertain很少指偶然的发现,侧重先前的无知与无把握,以及认真地去发现真理或真相; determine比ascertain更强调寻找事实或真理,以解决争端或争执,主要用于科学和法律方面; unearth指将隐藏的、被遗忘的、失去的或极其难以追寻的东西公之于众或暴露于世,常常强调发现以前所做的认真长期的调查; learn指获得知识,发现者一般没有或很少花多大力气。例如:
- The surgeon general has determined that cigarette smoking is dangerous to our health.卫生局长已确定吸烟危害健康。
- The question is to ascertain what the people really want.问题在于一定要弄清人们究竟需要什么。
- We discovered the powder consisting of harmful ingredients.我们发现这种粉末含有害成分。
- Projecting ourselves into the future world, we should learn as much as we can now.设想一下处身于未来的世界当中,我们现在就应该尽可能多学一点东西。
- They have unearthed the secret.他们已经发现了这个秘密。
- discover, betray, disclose, divulge, expose, reveal
- reveal指揭示迄今为止仍在保密状态的东西或启示超乎常人领悟能力的真理; discover指把原来已经存在,但未被发现、看见或理解的事物加以揭露; disclose侧重把事先未宣布或一直保密的事情公之于世; divulge侧重在公开场合不正当或背信弃义的泄露秘密或暴露隐私; betray指背约或辜负别人信任的告密,也指不自觉地泄密; expose揭露的对象一般是丑恶的、见不得人的,也可指把人或物暴露于不利地位。
- We have discovered that he is quite un- trustworthy.
- He has been discovered to be quite un- trustworthy.
- We have discovered him to be quite un- trustworthy.
误 I discovered swimming in our pool.
正 I discovered them swimming in our pool.
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的discoveren，意为发现，暴露，显示。