- vt. 告诉 give information (in spoken or written words)
- vt. 吩咐 give order; direct
- vi. 泄露秘密 reveal a secret
- vi. 决定,确定 decide or determine; know definitely
a Swiss patriot who lived in the early 14th century and who was renowned for his skill as an archer; according to legend an Austrian governor compelled him to shoot an apple from his son's head with his crossbow (which he did successfully without mishap)
express in words;
"He said that he wanted to marry her"
"tell me what is bothering you"
"state your opinion"
"state your name"
let something be known;
"Tell them that you will be late"
narrate or give a detailed account of;
"Tell what happened"
"The father told a story to his child"
give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority;
"I said to him to go home"
"She ordered him to do the shopping"
"The mother told the child to get dressed"
discern or comprehend;
"He could tell that she was unhappy"
inform positively and with certainty and confidence;
"I tell you that man is a crook!"
"he was telling on all his former colleague"
mark as different;
"We distinguish several kinds of maple"
- It's very kind of you to tell me the truth.
- Let me tell you some details about clearance.
- Tell that joker to stop using my parking space.
- He always does what his superiors tell him.
- He wanted to tell the news to the world.
- I always tell my daughter a story before she goes to sleep.
- I can't tell you how happy I am.
- Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddnest thought.
- It is hard to tell who is who in the parade.
- I can never tell natural silk from artificial.
- It's impossible to tell who will win the next election.
- I can tell from the way you speak that you are from Australia.
- You promised not to tell but you have done so .
- They pledged themselves never to tell the secret .
- You're saying you gonna tell on me?
- If someone tried to blackmail me I would tell the police.
- Your efforts are beginning to tell.
- His unselfish work is beginning to tell.
- I can't tell.
- Who can tell?
- As far as I can tell,Sylvia has split up with Mark.
- I promise not to tell.
- May your efforts tell in your studies.
- His unselfish work is beginning to tell.
- The influence of the school has begun to tell.
- Her nervousness began to tell as soon as she entered the room.
- My stomach begins to tell.
- Every blow tells.
- Don't look till I tell you.
- What have you been thinking about?Tell me.
- Mind that you don't forget to tell him.
- I'll tell her, but it won't have any effect.
- Do as I tell you and you shall be set free.
- In this hour of victory, we had so much to tell each other.
- I detest people who tell lies.
- You're telling me, the price of beer is ridiculously high!
- The child can already tell the time.
- It was difficult to tell his exact age.
- Her face told her joy.
- She playfully inspected Martin's hand and told his fortune.
- This can hardly be told in words.
- The story was told from one generation to another.
- That's what I was told.
- The recipe tells how to make maple syrup dumplings.
- No one could tell exactly what was going to happen.
- No one can tell where or when or how he will die.
- Can you tell which is which?
- Tell me your address and telephone number, please.
- Why has nobody told me this before?
- Has she told you the price?
- The teacher won't tell the students the answer to the question till everyone hands in his exercise book.
- He finally told her his decision.
- I don't want to influence you either way, so I won't tell you my opinion.
- The editor called me to his office to tell me the news.
- The old lady next door was telling me all her troubles.
- We all jumped for joy when we were told the news.
- I've been told this seriously by some high officials.
- He told the news to everybody in the village.
- Next morning,Beauty told this dream to her father.
- I didn't intend to tell it to you.
- He told the whole story to John.
- I want you to tell my friend your very interesting experience exactly as you have told it to me.
- He will tell you how to get there.
- She told us which number bus to take.
- I'll tell you what to do.
- Did they tell you when to start out?
- Please tell me where to get the form.
- If Brian uses my parking space again,I'll really tell him where to get off.
- She told me in her letter that they had got another bumper harvest this year.
- The old woman told him that she had two grandsons at the front.
- You might tell them that I hope to be back tomorrow night.
- She told me she was going to Shanghai.
- Tell him I'll be back in half an hour.
- I've tried to tell him he's wrong, but he still holds to his original opinion.
- A spotless stove told us that his mother is a diligent housekeeper.
- I was told that he had left the job a long time before.
- I'll tell you what I've been thinking.
- Now,I'll tell you how I got that.
- Can you tell me why you have to say so?
- Tell me to whom I should give the letter.
- The light tells you if the machine is on.
- “She isn't eating,” they told me.
- “Open it and see what's inside,”I was told.
- Tell him to wait for us at the gate.
- I told her to send the letter by airmail.
- The commander told the soldiers to stay where they were.
- He told us again and again to be on guard.
- Mother told you to be home by ten.
- He told us not to worry about him.
- Who told you to come out?
- I have been told to wait here.
- His family, paying $126 a week for the house, were told by the landlord to pay $130.
- all told
总共 be counted and included with all people, items, etc.
- tell about (v.+prep.)
告诉有关…的情况 give sb information such as a story, concerning sb/sth
tell about sb/sth
She told about Linda, who was very kind to her.
He told about Mrs.Emily, who was kind and charitable.
He told about his plans.
I don't want to tell about my failure.
His face tells about his honesty.
他的表情可以说明他的诚实。tell sb/sth about sb/oneself/sth/v-ing
Then briefly she told us about herself.
Can you tell me about that?
I'll tell you about it later.
I told Brosin about that the other night.
Can you tell me about a way to prevent milk from turning sour in hot weather?
Has she told you about leaving China for home?
- tell against (v.+prep.)
证实对…不利 be recorded as unfavourable to sb/sth
tell against sb/sth
In an investigation, a new fact became known, which told against him.
Her poor eyesight is bound to tell against her applying for a job.
- tell apart (v.+adv.)
区分开 be able to recognize the difference between (two or more people or things)
tell sb/sth apart
The two brothers are so much alike that their own mother can hardly tell them apart .
- tell from (v.+prep.)
辨别 be able to distinguish one person or thing from another
tell sb/sth from sb/sth
Can you tell her from her twin sister?
How can we tell the good from the bad?
He is a fellow who can't tell right from wrong.
- tell it like it is
讲真话,说实话 speak the truth; be perfectly honest
- tell me another
不见得 not believe sth
- tell of (v.+prep.)
告诉某人有关…的情况或信息 give sb information such as a story, concerning sb/sth
tell of sth
I'm telling here of a time long ago.
He also told of the intimate friendship he had formed with the Burudi people.
They told of the excellent situation prevailing in their province.
The book tells of her sister's life in new China.
Her blush told of her embarrassment.
The calculating look in his eyes told of Norman blood.
他那工于心计的眼神显示出他有诺曼人的血统。tell sb of sth
She told us of the difficulties she had met with in her work.
She told me of what she had been reading and her plan for the next term.
We must tell them of our decision.
- tell off (v.+adv.)
分派 order sb to do sth
tell sb ⇔ off (for sth/v-ing)
Mr. Black got angry and told off the boss.
Some of them have assumed arrogant airs and become fond of telling people off.
Mum told me off for wearing my best shoes for playing football.
The conductor told the school boys off for the throwing litter on the floor of the bus.
The director told him off for being late for work again.
The little boy's mother told him off for being naughty.
He didn't like being told off for something he hadn't done.
He was told off for being careless.
他因粗心大意挨说了。tell sb ⇔ off
We were told off for special duty.
They were told off to clean the latrines.
- tell on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
产生(坏的)影响 have a bad effect on
- tell to sb's face
当面讲 not speak of it behind sb's back
tell sth to sb's face
An upright man ought to tell a man of a fault to his face instead of speaking of it behind his back.
- there is no telling
很难说 it is impossible to know
- you never can tell
很难说 it is impossible to know
- tell a falsehood〔lie〕 说谎
- tell a story 讲故事
- tell one's beads 边数念珠边祈祷
- tell one's experiences 诉说自己的经历
- tell sb's fate〔fortune,future〕 给某人算命
- tell the difference 分辨差别
- tell the soldiers 命令士兵们
- tell the stars 数星星
- tell the time 报时
- tell the truth 说实话
- tell twins 区分双胞胎
- tell amply 充分说明
- tell artfully 机智地说
- tell badly 讲得很拙劣
- tell bluntly 直言不讳地告诉
- tell candidly 讲话公正
- tell complacently 自鸣得意地讲
- tell conclusively 最后决定
- tell dispassionately 心平气和地讲述
- tell effectively 有效地影响
- tell exactly 确切地说出
- tell fearlessly 大胆地说
- tell fervently 讲话热情
- tell flatly 直截了当地说
- tell frankly 直率地告诉
- tell genially 愉快地讲述
- tell gravely 严重泄密
- tell heavily 影响很大
- tell hysterically 歇斯底里地责骂
- tell impressively 讲话感人
- tell jestingly 说话没趣
- tell much 讲得充分
- tell musically 声调和谐
- tell plainly 明白地告诉
- tell regretfully 遗憾地说
- tell reverently 敬言
- tell seriously 郑重地告诉
- tell simply 简明地讲述
- tell straight 直率地说
- tell vividly 讲述生动
- tell well 讲得很好
- tell apart 把…区别开
- tell off number 报数
Barnabas and Paul..tolde what signes and wondres God had shewed.出自：Bible (Tyndale): Acts
He told of bloody fights.出自： G. Crabbe
He was telling another fishing story.出自： G. Greene
- tell, acquaint, advise, inform, notify
- 2.在“通知”的手段上, acquaint主要指向某人提供资料; tell是指将某事直接告诉某人或把某些内容向他人讲述,即口头通知; inform既可指提供有关资料或信息,也可指直接告知某事; notify指正式用书面通知; advise则常用于商业活动,既可指书面通知,即通告,电告,也可指口头告知或电话通知,但不一定是正式的。
- 3.在通知的内容上, acquaint常用于范围广泛的内容复杂的信息; tell多指一个故事或一件事; inform既可指重要的信息,也可指普通的一件事; advise多指商业活动中对方应知晓的信息; notify则指严肃的事或对方应知晓的事,暗含事情紧迫,需立即答复或处理的意味。
- 4.在用法上,这组词均为及物动词,可跟简单宾语或“间接宾语+that/wh-从句”, acquaint还可跟with短语,常用于被动结构; advise还可跟of短语; inform还可跟含“带疑问词的动词不定式和含介词as to或about的复合宾语”; notify还常跟of短语和含动词不定式的复合宾语,常用于被动结构。
- tell, tell about〔of〕
- tell可直接接宾语,如story, news, time, name, answer, difference, reason等名词或代词,意思是“告诉…”; tell about〔of〕的意思是“讲述〔说明〕关于…的事”。
- tell of, speak to, talk to
- tell, bid, command, order
- 2.order和command一般指上级命令下级; command是权力用语,更强调下命令的人有权威,特别指军官命令士兵; 而order却可以指某个人对他人下命令,如医生嘱咐病人; tell则多用于日常情况,“吩咐”的意味往往大于“命令”。
- 3.bid态度并不十分强制; command却有“强迫”“命令”“必须服从”的意味; order语气比command弱,不那么正式; tell的语气则更弱。
- 4.跟动词不定式的复合结构时, bid多不带to,而command和order则须保留to。
- tell, say, speak, talk
- say指“说出”,着重指说出具体的内容,一般用作及物动词,后面的宾语是所说的话; speak指“说话,发言”,着重开口说话的动作,一般用作不及物动词,其宾语通常是表示某种语言名称的词; talk指“讲话,谈论”,意思与speak相近,在一些情况下可以通用,通常talk用作不及物动词; tell指“告诉”,是直接给对方讲或以间接的方式转诉某事,在多数情况下, tell的后面通常接双宾语,在少数情况下可用简单宾语。试体会下面这几个词的用法和含义:He had talked for a long time, but he spoke so fast that we couldn't catch what he said.他讲了很长时间,但他说得太快了,我们没听清他讲了些什么。
- Mr. Green was invited to speak〔talk〕 to us on Greek philosophy.格林先生应邀给我们讲希腊哲学。
- He told me the news.他告诉了我这个消息。
- He told me that he was coming.他告诉我说他就来。
误 He told that he had passed the exam.
正 He told us that he had passed the exam.
析 tell后不能直接接从句表示“告知某人某事”时,须接双宾语,即tell sb sth。老师叫我们不要吵闹。
误 The teacher told us don't make any noise.
正 The teacher told us not to make any noise.
析 “告诉某人不要做某事”,英语用“tell sb not to do sth ”,即用不定式作复合宾语。说实在话,我不太想去看演出。
误 Telling the truth,I'm not very interested in going to the show.
正 To tell the truth,I'm not very interested in going to the show.
析 to tell the truth常在句中作插入语,这是一种固定表达方式,不用分词短语。正如我昨天告诉你的,他在会上站起来说话却不知所云。
误 As I spoke to you yesterday, he got up to speak and said nothing at the meeting.
正 As I told you yesterday, he got up to speak and said nothing at the meeting.
误 Don't say lies!
正 Don't tell lies!
误 She told,“I am leaving.”
正 She said,“I am leaving.”
析 tell后面一般要加说话的对象(人称代词),然后再加说话的内容; 而say可以直接加内容。简和萨长得这么相像,只有她们的母亲才分得清她们。
误 They are so alike that only their mother can tell Jane and Sar.
正 They are so alike that only their mother can tell Jane and Sar apart.
正 They are so alike that only their mother can tell Jane from Sar.
析 “把…分得清楚,把…辨别开”英文用tell...from...或tell...and... apart表示。每个学生都能讲述他在考试前的紧张心情。
误 Every student can tell his nervousness before the examinations.
正 Every student can tell of his nervousness before the examinations.
析 tell 作为“告诉,讲述”讲,用在能讲完整的事物前,如story, news, truth, lie, opinion, views等时是及物动词; 用在不能讲清楚或讲完整的事物前,是不及物动词,后面要跟of或about。他告诉了我有关这所名牌大学的一些消息。
误 He told me some information about this prestigious university.
正 He gave me some information about this prestigious university.
析 可以说give sb information, supply〔provide〕 sb with information,但不能说tell sb information。她查看约翰的手掌,给他算命。
误 She inspected John's palm and said his fortune.
正 She inspected John's palm and told his fortune.
析 表示“(给某人)算命”,要说 tell sb's fortune,不可以说 say sb's fortune。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的tellan，意为考虑。