take and lift upward
take up by hand;
"He picked up the book and started to read"
give a passenger or a hitchhiker a lift;
"We picked up a hitchhiker on the highway"
gather or collect;
"You can get the results on Monday"
"She picked up the children at the day care center"
"They pick up our trash twice a week"
get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally;
"I learned that she has two grown-up children"
"I see that you have been promoted"
get in addition, as an increase;
"The candidate picked up thousands of votes after his visit to the nursing home"
take into custody;
"the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
buy casually or spontaneously;
"I picked up some food for a snack"
register (perceptual input);
"pick up a signal"
lift out or reflect from a background;
"The scarf picks up the color of the skirt"
"His eyes picked up his smile"
meet someone for sexual purposes;
"he always tries to pick up girls in bars"
fill with high spirits; fill with optimism;
"Music can uplift your spirits"
improve significantly; go from bad to good;
"Her performance in school picked up"
perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily;
"I caught the aroma of coffee"
"He caught the allusion in her glance"
"ears open to catch every sound"
"The dog picked up the scent"
"Catch a glimpse"
eat by pecking at, like a bird
gain or regain energy;
"I picked up after a nap"
- He picked up his knife and fork.
- He picked up the child and put her on his shoulders.
- He picked up news from all sources.
- She picked up a valuable first edition at a village book sale.
- But we have to survive, so I have to pick myself up, and then continue my work.
- I am able to pick you up on the short wave radio.
- The dog easily picked up the scent of the murderer.
- The next morning, my mum came to pick me up.
- He picked up the girl at a college disco.
- She's living with some man she picked up on holiday.
- Pick yourself up and brush yourself down.
- She soon picked up French when she went to live in France.
- He is picked up on a charge of killing a man.
- A cup of coffee might pick you up.
- dredge 用挖泥机疏浚...
- straighten 弄直
- lift 举起
- refresh （使）恢复精神...
- gain 获得
- lift up 升起
- gather up 使聚集, 收拢, 集拢...
- get wind 为人所知; 传插出去...
- nail 钉子
- apprehend 理解
- hear 得知
- perk up 昂首翘尾
- peck 啄
- find out 发现
- elate 使兴奋
- see 看见
- get word 听说
- turn around 转身(转变
- collar 衣领
- percolate 过滤
- collect 收集
- nab 抓住或逮捕
- perk （使）振作
- discover 发现
- uplift 鼓舞
- receive 接到
- get a line 取得关于 ... 的情报...
- cop 纺锤状线团、管纱...
- catch 赶上
- learn 学会
- call for 需要
- arrest 逮捕
- intoxicate 下毒