- 纳尔（英旧制量布长度单位，=2 1/4英寸）
- [C]钉子,钉状物 a thin pointed piece of metal for hammering into a piece of wood, usually to fasten the wood to sth else
- [C]指甲,趾甲 a fingernail or toenail
- vt. 钉住,钉牢 make a door, window, etc. secure with nails
- vt. 抓住,逮住 catch up
horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
attach something somewhere by means of nails;
"nail the board onto the wall"
take into custody;
"the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
"He smashed a 3-run homer"
succeed in obtaining a position;
"He nailed down a spot at Harvard"
succeed at easily;
"She sailed through her exams"
"You will pass with flying colors"
"She nailed her astrophysics course"
"can you pinpoint the position of the enemy?"
"The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome"
complete a pass
- He hit the nail into the wall with a hammer.
- I found a nail sticking in the tyre.
- You can try this nail polish on your nails.
- She was paring her nails with nail scissors.
- I will nail up the new pictures on the wall.
- It's the best chance we have to nail the crime.
- Police nailed the suspect.
- Signing the contract will nail down our agreement.
- See if you can nail him down to an exact date.
- The nail caught her dress.
- The picture is attached to the wall by a nail.
- In order to hang the picture, he had to hammer a nail.
- We had to fasten the notice to the door with a nail.
- The carpenter will drive every nail home before he pronounces the work finished.
- I would have been early enough, but I caught my coat on a nail just as I was leaving.
- Magnets attract nails.
- Help me to hammer in these last few nails,I'm tired!
- He took some nails and bits of wood, and built them into a rough cupboard.
- Do not throw these nails away, they may come in use one day.
- The tail won't come off the toy plane, it's fixed on with nails.
- Their fists were clenched so tightly that their nails dug deep into their palms.
- We must break the child of his habit of biting his nails.
- She cleans her nails with a nailbrush every week.
- He nailed boards together to make a box.
- He nailed a rabbit with his first shot.
- They finally nailed the thief.
- The boy was nailed by the toy.
- a nail in sb's/sth's coffin
使某人早亡〔死、完蛋、垮台等〕 one of several cumulative mistakes that contributes to sb's downfall
- fight tooth and nail
激烈争斗 fight fiercely
- hit the nail on the head
说得中肯; 击中要害 do exactly the right thing; do sth in the most effective and efficient way
- nail back (v.+adv.)
用钉子把(某物)反钉住 fasten (sth) in a backward position with a nail or nails
nail sth ⇔ back
If you want the cupboard door open all the time, why don't you nail it back?
- nail down (v.+adv.)
迫使(某人)作出决定,讲明意图或采取行动 force (sb) to make a decision, state his intentions, or take action, etc.
nail sth ⇔ down
Will you nail down that loose board in the floor?
I can't get this lid off, it seems to be nailed down.
我打不开这个盖子,好像是被钉住了。nail sb ⇔ down to sth
We shall have to nail him down to his promise.
I never nail her down to anything.
We've been trying to nail him down to a precise agreement.
Before they repair the car, nail them down to a price.
- nail onto〔to〕 (v.+prep.)
用钉子将(某物)钉在(某物)上 fasten (sth) on with a nail or nails
nail sb/sth onto〔to〕 sth
Nail the boards onto the fence posts, they will make a good fence.
Nail the sign to the post.
Surprise nailed him to the spot.
The letter was nailed to the wall with an arrow.
- nail up (v.+adv.)
将(某物)钉牢,钉紧 fasten (sth) in a closed position with nails
- draw a nail 拔钉子
- draw out a nail 拔出钉子
- drive in a nail 把钉子敲进去
- drive the nail home 彻底探究
- fight tooth and nail 尽全力攻击
- hammer a nail 把钉子敲进去
- hammer in a nail 把钉子敲进去
- hit the nail on the head 击中要害,一针见血
- knock in a nail 把钉子敲进去
- loose a nail 松动钉子
- pull out a nail 拔出钉子
- remove a nail 拔掉钉子
- bite one's nails 咬指甲,束手无策
- break a nail 折断指甲
- clip one's nails 剪指甲
- cut one's nails 剪指甲
- do one's nails 修剪指甲
- dye one's nails 染指甲
- file one's nails 锉指甲
- gnaw one's nails 咬指甲
- have one's nails long 留长指甲
- have one's nails pared 请人修指甲
- manicure one's nails 修剪〔洗净、涂染〕指甲
- pare one's nails 修剪指甲
- pave one's nails 修指甲
- polish one's nails 修饰指甲
- trim one's nails 修剪指甲
- concave nails 凹形指甲
- loose nail 已松动了的钉子
- pink-tipped nails 尖端涂红的指甲
- bamboo nail 竹钉
- finger nails 手指甲
- iron nails 铁爪
- toe nails 脚趾甲
- nail clippers 指甲刀
- nail file 指甲锉
- nail scissors 指甲剪
- on the nail 立即,马上,当场
- fasten sth with nails 用钉把某物钉牢
- scratch an itch with nails 用指甲搔痒
- a nail in sb's coffin 催命的东西
- nail a cover 钉上盖子
- nail a label 钉上标签
- nail a lid 钉上盖子
- nail a rabbit 击中一只兔子
- nail a shelf 钉架子
- nail the boards 钉木板
- nail accurately 准确地钉
- nail alternately 轮流钉
- nail assiduously 持之以恒地钉
- nail delightedly 高兴地钉
- nail immediately 立即钉
- nail incessantly 持续不断地钉
- nail reluctantly 勉强地钉
- nail slowly 慢慢地钉
- nail down 钉牢,钉住,要求履行诺言,要求把…讲明
- nail up 把…钉牢〔钉死〕
- nail the window up 把这窗子钉牢
- nail on 把…钉在…上
- nail a label on a box 给箱子钉上标签
- nail a lid on the box 给箱子钉上盖子
- nail to 把…钉到…上
- nail a lie to the counter 揭露谎言
- nail one's colors to the mast 决不让步〔投降〕
- nail a shelf to the wall 把架子钉在墙上
- nail the plaque to the wall 把匾钉在墙上
- nail sb with the goods 人赃俱获
An astonishingly small..hand, with beautiful square-cut nails.出自： P. H. Johnson
Her tight-knuckled hands and bitten nails.出自： M. Bradbury
Close by the threshold of a door nailed fast.出自： W. Cowper
The royal anathema was nailed on the Episcopal gate at London.出自： I. D
The draught..prevented by a small tarpaulin nailed across the opening.出自： S. S. Buckman
The second Shaft..pierc'd his Hand, and nail'd it to his side.出自： transf.
- nail常在宾语后接down,作“迫使某人明确表态; 强迫某人明确说出意图或心愿”解,是一种比较正式的用法。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的negel，意为金属别针。