- [C] 字,词 the smallest unit of spoken language which has meaning and can stand alone
- [C] (说的)话,话语,言语 anything said; remark or statement
- [S] 消息,信息; 谣言 piece of news; message; rumour
- [S] 口令,号令; 命令 spoken command or signal
- [S] 诺言,保证 a promise
- vt. 用词语表达; 选用 express (sth) in particular words; phrase sth
a unit of language that native speakers can identify;
"words are the blocks from which sentences are made"
"he hardly said ten words all morning"
a brief statement;
"he didn't say a word about it"
information about recent and important events;
"they awaited news of the outcome"
a verbal command for action;
"when I give the word, charge!"
an exchange of views on some topic;
"we had a good discussion"
"we had a word or two about it"
"he gave his word"
a word is a string of bits stored in computer memory;
"large computers use words up to 64 bits long"
the divine word of God; the second person in the Trinity (incarnate in Jesus)
a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group;
"he forgot the password"
the sacred writings of the Christian religions;
"he went to carry the Word to the heathen"
put into words or an expression;
"He formulated his concerns to the board of trustees"
- Could we have a word before you go to the meeting?
- Tell me what happened in your own words.
- My friend sent word that he was well.
- What does this word mean?
- I couldn't look up the spelling of the word, as I hadn't a dictionary at hand.
- Many English words are derived from Latin.
- All the words beside the central idea should be crossed out.
- The editor eliminated slang words from the essay.
- These words can't be staled by repetition.
- He gave me his visiting card, with a few words in pencil.
- I don't believe a word of his story.
- At the press conference, the reporters copied down every word spoken by the prime minister.
- Tell me what happened in your words.
- Deeds are better than words when people are in need of help.
- I would like a word with you.
- After a word with the colonel he went away .
- There's been no word from her for weeks.
- Word came that I was needed at home.
- Word has come that meeting will be held on Tuesday.
- Word is that the election will be held in June.
- Word is that he's left the country.
- Word got round that he had resigned.
- Stay hidden until I give the word.
- Their word is law.
- He gave the word and they let him in.
- The word now is “freedom”.
- I give you my word I'll go.
- Stand by your word.
- Hear The Word of God .
- Be careful how you word your answer.
- She worded the explanation well.
- The advice wasn't very tactfully worded.
- The suggestion might be worded more politely.
- This is a carefully worded contract.
- a man of his word
守信用的人 a person who keeps his promise
- at a word
立刻 right now; immediately
- be as good as one's word
说话算数 keep one's promises
- break one's word
食言 fail to keep a promise
- eat one's words
收回前言 take back one's words
- Famous last words!
你自称的!你说的! So you claim!
- have a word in sb's ear
与…说悄悄话 speak to sb in private
- have a word with
和…简单谈谈 talk briefly to sb
- have the last〔final〕 word
强辩到底 make the final comment in an argument
- have words
- in a word
总而言之 in brief〔conclusion〕
- in other words
换句话说 putting in another way
- in word
- keep one's word
遵守诺言,守信用 keep a promise
- man〔woman〕 of few〔many〕 words
沉默寡言〔多言〕的人 sb who says little〔much〕
- my word!
〈口〉哎呀!天哪!好家伙! (exclamation of surprise)
- not a word
什么也别说; 别说 not say anything; be silent
- not in so many words
不明确地 not exactly
- not the word for it
不恰当的字眼 an understatement
- operative word
最重要的词 most significant word
- pick one's words
谨慎措辞 choose those words that express one's meaning best, that will not cause offence, etc.
- put in a good word for
为…说好话,为…说情 praise sb/sth; recommend sb/sth
- swallow one's words
承认说错了话 admit that one has said sth wrong
- take at sb's words
相信…的话; 照…的话做 believe sb without question; do sth at sb's words
take sb at sb's words
When the hotel manager promised us a first-class dinner, we foolishly took him at his words.
He suggested that if I was not satisfied I should leave, so I took him at his words.
- take the words out of sb's mouth
抢先讲出某人要讲的话 anticipate what sb is about to say
- upon my word
的确,真的 on my honour
- with this〔these〕 words
说着就… as saying
- word for word
一字不变地 exactly as spoken or written
- words fail
无法用语言来表达,激动得说不出话来 be unable to find words to express one's feelings
- address a few words 讲几句话
- await word from sb 等待某人的消息
- break one's words 食言
- breathe a word 走漏消息
- bring word 带来消息
- choose a word 选择词
- coin a word 杜撰一个词
- cook up words 造新词
- cross out a word 划掉一个词
- cut out many words 删掉许多词
- digest a word 消化一个词
- doubt sb's words 怀疑某人的话
- drink in all the words 吸收所有的词语
- eat one's words 收回前言,认错,道歉
- exchange angry words 发生口角
- find words 找出言语(来表达)
- gain the good word of 博得…的赞扬
- get word 得到消息
- get a word 插嘴
- give one's word 保证,允许
- give the word 发出命令
- have words together 争吵
- have words with sb 与某人吵嘴
- have a word with sb 同某人谈一谈
- hunt up a word 查一个词
- keep one's word 信守诺言
- leave word 留言
- leave out a word 省略一个词,丢掉一个词
- look up a word (在词典里)查一个词
- memorize words 记单词
- play on words 玩弄字眼
- pronounce a word 读一个词
- put in words for 为…说几句话
- put the words into sb's mouth 教某人怎么讲
- quote a word 引用一个词
- receive word of 收到…消息
- regret one's words 为说过的话而后悔
- respect one's word 遵守自己许下的诺言
- say a word 说句话,进一步,走漏消息
- say a few words 说几句话
- say a good word for sb 为某人说好话
- send sb a word 给某人捎个信儿
- spell a word 拼写一个词
- stress the word 重读那个词
- take back one's word 收回自己的话
- take sb's word for it 相信了某人的话
- understand a word 理解某个词的意思
- use words 用词
- waste one's words 白费口舌
- weigh words 斟酌词句
- write a word 写一个词
- advance word 事先传出的消息
- angry words 气话
- beautiful words 优美的言辞
- big words 大话
- borrowed word 外来词
- broken words 断断续续的话
- burning words 热情洋溢的话
- choice words 精选的词句
- colorful words 丰富的言辞
- cross words 气话
- empty words 空洞的话,无意义的话
- everyday word 日常用语
- farewell words 送别词
- fighting words 容易引起争论的话,挑战性的话
- foreign word 外来词
- hard words 愤怒的话,激烈的话
- heated word 激烈的言词,争吵时使用的话
- high words 愤怒的话,激烈的话
- hollow words 虚假的言语
- honeyed words 甜言蜜语
- hot words 激烈的言词,争吵时使用的话
- household word 家喻户晓的词
- irresponsible words 不负责任的话
- key words 关键的字眼
- last words 临终遗言
- living words 现代语
- meaningful words 意味深长的言语
- meaningless words 无意义的话
- misspelled word 拼错的词
- native word 本国词,本地词
- pleasant words 动听的语言
- regional word 方言
- scientific word 科学用语
- semi-technical words 半科技词
- sharp words 愤怒的话,激烈的话
- simple word 简单的词
- sincere words 真诚的话
- small word 小词
- spoken words 口头语
- suggestive words 含蓄的话
- sweet words 甜言蜜语
- tearful parting words 伤感的离别之言
- the latest word 最新消息,最后消息
- uncleanly words 下流话
- unfamiliar word 生词
- unusual word 冷僻词
- warm words 忿怒的话,激烈的话
- written words 书面语
- wrong words 错词
- at a word 立即,立刻
- in a word 简言之,总之
- in one's own words 用自己的话说
- in other words 换言之
- upon my word 的确,真的
- without a word 一声没吭
- word in heavy type 黑体字
- words in season 时宜的话
- words of comfort 安慰的话
- words of command 命令
- words of complaint 怨言
- the W- of God 圣经
- words of praise 表扬的话
- word of six letters 六个字母的词
- words of thanks 感谢的话
Rome shall perishswrite that word In the blood that she has spilt.出自： W. Cowper
We have striven..to draw some word from her; but she..answers nothing.出自： G. P. R. James
To use his own words, he was in a cleft stick.出自： H. Conway
Actions speak louder than words.出自：Proverb
He words me, girls, he words me, that I should not Be noble to myself.出自：Anthony Cleopatra , Shakespeare
- at a word, in a word
- 这两个短语意思不同:at a word的意思是“一口气”“立刻”,用来加强谓语的语气; in a word的意思是“一句话”“总而言之”,用来总结全部意见,常放在句首。
- in a word, in word
- 这两个短语意思不同:in word的意思是“口头上”“表面上”, in a word是“总而言之”的意思。
- He was at a loss for word.
- He was at a loss for words.
误 I should like to have word with him.
正 I should like to have a word with him.他们听到消息说足球比赛将在今晚电视实况转播。
误 They had a word that the football match would be televised live this evening.
正 They had word that the football match would be televised live this evening.
析 have word是“听到消息〔新闻〕”的意思,“说句话”是have a word。对逐词背课文,我感到厌倦。
误 I was tired of reciting the texts word after word.
正 I was tired of reciting the texts word for word.
析 “一字不变地,逐字(背诵或翻译)”是word for word,不是word after word。我说了什么错话吗?
误 Have I said any wrong words?
正 Have I said anything wrong?
误 He broke his words.
正 He broke his word.
析 break one's word意为“不遵守诺言”, word在此短语中不用复数形式。我刚得知他到达的消息。
误 I have just received the word of his arrival.
正 I have just received word of his arrival.有消息传来说我们的篮球队赢了这场比赛。
误 The word came that our basketball team had won the match.
正 Word came that our basketball team had won the match.
析 作“消息”“信息”解时, word前不加冠词。他大约是30年前开始当教师的,换句话说,他当教师已经有30年了。
误 He began to work as a teacher some thirty years ago, in another word, he has been a teacher for thirty years.
正 He began to work as a teacher some thirty years ago, in other words, he has been a teacher for thirty years.
析 in other words是固定短语,意为“换句话说”。他带信给我说怀特先生不久将动身去美国。
误 He carried me words that Mr.White would soon leave for America.
正 He carried me word that Mr. White would soon leave for America.
误 We had a word this morning.
正 We had words this morning.他们曾为鸡毛蒜皮的小事同邻居吵过嘴。
误 They had word with their neighbour over some trifles.
正 They had words with their neighbours over some trifles.
析 表示“同某人发生口角”时,用have words with sb, words用复数形式。他说的大话使我们都感到惊讶。
误 His big word surprised us all.
正 His big words surprised us all.我们绝不收回前言。
误 We should on no account eat our word.
正 We should on no account eat our words.
析 习语big words, eat one's words中, words词尾的s不可省。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的word，意为演讲，谈话；最初源自原始日耳曼语的wurden，意为说。