- vi. 聊天,闲谈 talk in a friendly way about unimportant topics
- [C][U]闲谈,聊天 friendly informal conversation
an informal conversation
birds having a chattering call
songbirds having a chattering call
talk socially without exchanging too much information;
"the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
- He came round last week and we chatted for a while.
- He likes to chat with his e-pals on the Internet.
- Ask him to stop by for a chat.
- It is pleasant to chat with friends, and with no chat is it more pleasant than with close friends.
- They were chatting in the corner.
- The boys chatted gaily while they dressed.
- My neighbor and I were chatting over the fence after supper.
- We usually chat together for a while between classes.
- We sat by the fire and chatted all evening.
- We spent a cozy evening chatting by the fire.
- He enjoys a chat for his own sake.
- There is too much chat in this office!
- We need less chat and more work if we're to finish this job today.
- He sat down and went into chat with her.
- She called up a friend just for a chat.
- My friends often drop in for coffee and a chat.
- Would you care to come and have a chat with me?
- You've been having quite a long chat with the doctor.
- I had a chat about that with Mary.
- We had a nice chat about our schooldays.
- The two friends had a pleasant chat about old times.
- chat away (v.+adv.)
闲谈 chat; talk or converse casually
They sometimes chatted away for hours.
Mary and Nancy chatted away across the room.
玛丽和南希一个在房间这一端,一个在房间那一端闲聊着。chat away about sth
They were chatting away about old times.
The two friends chatted away to each other about the weather.
- chat of〔about〕 (v.+prep.)
闲聊… speak freely
chat of〔about〕 sth
They were chatting of old times.
We chatted about the Russian ballet which is to give its first-night performance next week.
- chat over (v.+prep.)
一边…一边聊天 do as (sth) as talk
chat over sth
They like to chat over tea.
- chat up (v.+adv.)
闲谈 talk to sb in a way that is intended to win their friendship or gain an advantage
chat sb ⇔ up
Stop trying to chat me up!
I wouldn't try chatting her up if I were you.
He likes chatting up the newcomers.
She chatted up the producer in the hope of getting a part in his next film.
Peter is at his usual tricks again, chatting up the girls.
She was being chatted up by a young man when I arrived on the scene.
- chat with (v.+prep.)
与某人闲聊某事 talk to sb
chat with sb (about sth)
I chatted with his father for a while.
He was happily chatting with Jack.
He chatted with me about our affairs.
- chat aimlessly 漫无目的地闲聊
- chat charmingly 愉快地闲谈
- chat discursively 漫谈
- chat gaily 快活地聊天
- chat genially 亲切交谈
- chat away 不停地聊天
- chat up 跟…搭讪
- chat about the affair 闲聊某事
- chat about the weather 闲聊天气
- chat in groups 成群地交谈
- chat of old times 闲谈往昔的事情
- chat on a variety of topics 谈各种题目
- chat over tea 边喝茶边聊天
- chat over wine 边喝酒边聊天
- chat with 与…闲聊
- chat show (电台或电视台)现场采访节目
O, how I long to have some chat with her!出自：Taming of Shrew , Shakespeare
Scarce list'ning to their idle chat.出自： Swift
'I am writing my memoirs.' 'Theatre chat?'出自： I. Murdoch
The remainder..chatted with one another.出自： T. F. Powys
They were chatted to in the streets.出自： M. Laski
We sat..chatting of nothing in particular.出自： P. H. Johnson
- chat, converse, speak, talk
- speak含义较广,较正式,可指连贯、系统地发言、讲话,也可指支离破碎地交谈,还可指自言自语; converse常指在谈话中交换意见或想法,且表示在几个人之间的交谈; chat往往指以友好的态度,谈一些不重要的事情; talk强调“交谈”多半是指数人之间的交谈,包括严肃的讨论,也表示轻松的闲聊。例如:
- The two friends sat in a corner and chatted about the weather.那两位朋友坐在一个旮旯里谈论天气。
- I can converse with anyone about anything.我可以和任何人谈论任何事情。
- He is talking to a friend.他在和一个朋友交谈。
- chat, conversation, dialogue, discussion
- 这四个词都可作“谈话”解。其区别在于:conversation是非正式会谈,可能是热烈和令人兴奋的,也可能是乏味和令人厌烦的; chat是朋友间非常随便的交谈,所谈的往往是些有趣的事,但不是很重要的事; discussion一般指严肃地讨论某一个问题或难题,并且寻求结论或解决的办法, discussion有时可转变为辩论; dialogue是两个或两个以上的人之间的对话以及小说、戏剧等中的对白。例如:
- In my conversation with him,I mentioned your business plan.我和他谈话时曾提及你的营业计划。
- The two friends sat in a corner and had a chat about the weather.两个朋友坐在屋角闲聊天气。
- There was a general discussion following his speech.他的讲话完后进行了一般性的讨论。
- There is some good descriptive writing in the novel, but the dialogue is poor.这小说里有些很好的描写,但对白很差。