- [U]表示,表现,表达 (an example of) the act of expressing; showing of feelings, opinions , etc., by words or actions
- [C]表情 a look on a person's face
- [U]富有感情 the quality of showing or performing with feeling
- [C]词,措辞,词组 a word or group of words
- the feelings expressed on a person's face;
"a sad expression"
"a look of triumph"
"an angry face"
- expression without words;
"tears are an expression of grief"
"the pulse is a reflection of the heart's condition"
- the communication (in speech or writing) of your beliefs or opinions;
"expressions of good will"
"he helped me find verbal expression for my ideas"
"the idea was immediate but the verbalism took hours"
- a word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations;
"pardon the expression"
- the style of expressing yourself;
"he suggested a better formulation"
"his manner of expression showed how much he cared"
- a group of symbols that make a mathematical statement
- (genetics) the process of expressing a gene
- a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit;
"I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
- the act of forcing something out by squeezing or pressing;
"the expression of milk from her breast"
- He always shows a doleful expression.
- She gave expression to her sadness.
- The scenery was beautiful beyond expression.
- I haven't heard that expression before.
- The colloquial word is a word or expression often used in informal speech.
- Art has different forms of expression.
This homework gives students practice in written expression.
He closed his letter with an expression of grateful thanks.
A government should permit the free expression of political opinion.
They greeted him with many expressions of pleasure.
His speech gave expression to the demands of the people.
All their expressions were not true.
A strange expression crossed her face.
He looked at me with an embarrassed expression.
His expression was grim when he told them they had lost their jobs.
An expression of surprise appeared on his face.
She has a beatuiful voice, but she doesn't sing with much expression.
Her voice lacked expression.
“Shut up!” is not a polite expression.
My teacher pointed out the wrong choice of expressions in my composition.
He always tries his best to give the appropriate examples to illustrate the usage of an expression.
In our reading we should always be alert for idiomatic expressions.
- beyond〔past〕 expression
无法形容 beyond description
Helen of Tory was beyond expression. 特洛伊城的海伦美丽得无法形容。
The scenery was beautiful beyond expression. 景色美得无法形容。
- 无法形容 beyond description
- find expression in
表现为 be expressed
His anger at last found expression in loud cursing. 他的愤怒最后表现为大声诅咒。
Her feeling at last found expression in tear. 她的感情终于由眼泪表示出来。
- 表现为 be expressed
- give expression to
Her sobs prevented her from giving expression to her gratitude. 她的抽泣使他无法表达感激之情。
Strike gives expression to the sharpening of contradictions between workers and the employer. 罢工说明工人和雇主之间矛盾的尖锐化。
- 表达,说明 explain
- without expression
毫无表情 without a look on a person's face
He looked at me without expression. 他毫无表情地看着我。
His face was without expression. 他的脸上毫无表情。
- 毫无表情 without a look on a person's face
- accept sb's expression of 接受某人对…的表示
- avoid expression 避免表达
- borrow an expression 借用表达方式
- find expression in 从…表现出来
- fix expression 记住表达方式
- give expression to 表现出…的样子
- have an expression of 有…表情
- make expression 表示
- offer an expression 表示
- watch sb's expression 观察某人的表情
- wear expression 带着表情
- alternative expression 可替换的词语
- appropriate expression 适当的反映
- archaic expression 陈旧词语
- artistic expression 有艺术表现才华的人
- awkward expression 笨拙的措词
- common expression 通常说法
- free expression 自由发表
- full expression 充分表达
- grim expression 冷酷的表情
- happy expression 喜气洋洋的表情,愉快的表情
- idiomatic expression 习惯表达方式
- literary expression 文学的表达形式
- mild expression 温和的说法
- modern expression 时髦说法,流行词语
- odd expression 怪话
- original expression 新颖的表达形式
- pleased expression 高兴的表情
- polite expression 有礼貌的词语,有礼貌的表情
- sad expression 悲哀的表情
- strange expression 奇异的表情
- sunny expression 高兴劲
Adeline..beyond expression fair.出自：Tennyson
To encourage the fullest expression of public feeling.出自：J. A. Froude
He uses words as discourses and reserves the expression of artistic emotion for tone.出自：M. Tippett
- expression泛指“表达”时是不可数名词; 表示“表情”,泛指概念时为不可数名词,表示具体表情时一般有形容词或of短语修饰,是可数名词,常与不定冠词连用。
误 When the name was mentioned, there was an expression in her face which I could not read.
正 When the name was mentioned, there was an expression on her face which I could not read.
- ☆ 15世纪中期进英入语，直接源自法语的expression；最初源自拉丁语的expressionem，意为体现感觉的行为。
- expression:expression n. 表达, 表情, 脸色, 声调, 腔调, 榨出, 语法, 措辞n. [数] 式, 表达式, 符号习惯用语beyond expression 无法形容, 难以表达past ex…