- n. 保护；防卫
- [U]保护,保卫 protecting or being protected
- [U]贸易保护措施 system of protecting home industries by taxing foreign goods
- [C]防护物 thing that protects
- [U](向歹徒缴纳的)保护费 money paid to gangsters so that one will not be attacked by them
the activity of protecting someone or something;
"the witnesses demanded police protection"
a covering that is intend to protect from damage or injury;
"they had no protection from the fallout"
"wax provided protection for the floors"
defense against financial failure; financial independence;
"his pension gave him security in his old age"
"insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness"
the condition of being protected;
"they were huddled together for protection"
"he enjoyed a sense of peace and protection in his new home"
kindly endorsement and guidance;
"the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
the imposition of duties or quotas on imports in order to protect domestic industry against foreign competition;
"he made trade protection a plank in the party platform"
payment extorted by gangsters on threat of violence;
"every store in the neighborhood had to pay him protection"
- He's devoted his whole life to the protection of the rare animals.
- She put on dark glasses as a protection against the strong light.
- She subscribes to an animal protection society.
- They lobbied on the environmental protection issue.
- The settlers banded together for protection.
- Little children live under the protection of their parents.
- Those quilts don't give you much protection against the cold.
- Textile workers favored protection.
- Shoes are a protection for the feet.
- We have this dog as a protection against burglars.
- He was paying out half his profits as protection.
- afford〔give〕 protection 给予保护
- demand〔seek〕protection 要求〔寻求〕保护
- gain〔get〕 protection 得到保护
- need〔require〕 protection 需要保护
- offer〔provide〕 protection 提供保护
- receive protection 接受保护,受到保护
The citizen is under the protection of the law.出自：Scotsman
The King fled northwards to seek the protection of the Scottish army.出自： C. Hill
An innocent who craves protection.出自： J. Uglow
- protection, cover, refuge, shelter
- 这组词都是指一处保护某人使不受袭击或伤害的地方,但含义有所不同:cover的意思是“隐蔽物”“躲避处”,是把事物隐藏起来以确保安全的保护物,它既可指野生动物找到的树丛等天然的躲避处,也可指阻挡袭击的物体、房屋等; protection的意思是“保护物”“保护”,在这组词中,它的词义最笼统,用途最广,可指任何阻挡伤害或破坏的事物; refuge和shelter都用以指无家可归的人能够得到照顾和施舍的地方。例如:
- Take cover in the barn as soon as you hear gun fire.
- A strong defence system offers protection from sudden attack by the enemy.
- 坚固的防御系统提供保护以防备敌人 的突袭。
- The trees formed a shelter over our heads.
- He has found a refuge.
- protectionism n. 保护主义；贸易保护制度