- vt. & vi. (为…)服务,任(职) do work (for); give service (to)
- vt. 向…供应 provide with sth necessary or useful
- vt. & vi. 提供,端上 offer (food, drinks, a meal, etc.) for eating and drinking
- vt. 度过(某段时间) pass and complete (a period of time)
- vt. & vi. 符合,适用 be good enough for or suitable for (a purpose)
- vt. & vi. 发(球),开(球) begin play by hitting (the ball) to the opponent
- (sports) a stroke that puts the ball in play;
"his powerful serves won the game"
- serve a purpose, role, or function;
"The tree stump serves as a table"
"The female students served as a control group"
"This table would serve very well"
"His freedom served him well"
"The table functions as a desk"
- do duty or hold offices; serve in a specific function;
"He served as head of the department for three years"
"She served in Congress for two terms"
- contribute or conduce to;
"The scandal served to increase his popularity"
- be used by; as of a utility;
"The sewage plant served the neighboring communities"
"The garage served to shelter his horses"
- help to some food; help with food or drink;
"I served him three times, and after that he helped himself"
- provide (usually but not necessarily food);
"We serve meals for the homeless"
"She dished out the soup at 8 P.M."
"The entertainers served up a lively show"
- devote (part of) one's life or efforts to, as of countries, institutions, or ideas;
"She served the art of music"
"He served the church"
"serve the country"
- promote, benefit, or be useful or beneficial to;
"Art serves commerce"
"Their interests are served"
"The lake serves recreation"
"The President's wisdom has served the country well"
- spend time in prison or in a labor camp;
"He did six years for embezzlement"
- work for or be a servant to;
"May I serve you?"
"She attends the old lady in the wheelchair"
"Can you wait on our table, please?"
"Is a salesperson assisting you?"
"The minister served the King for many years"
- deliver a warrant or summons to someone;
"He was processed by the sheriff"
- be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity;
"A few words would answer"
"This car suits my purpose well"
"Will $100 do?"
"A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school"
"Nothing else will serve"
- do military service;
"She served in Vietnam"
"My sons never served, because they are short-sighted"
- mate with;
"male animals serve the females for breeding purposes"
- put the ball into play;
"It was Agassi's turn to serve"
- We must serve the people heart and soul.
- The waiter is serving another customer.
- He served as a naval officer during the war.
- The large box in his room can serve as a desk too.
- He served four terms in Congress.
- They have served me shamefully.
- Whose serve is it now?
The manager of the restaurant has trained the waitress to serve correctly at table.
Let's start the meal. Who is going to serve?
The ship will sail when wind and tide serve.
It isn't very good but it will serve.
He cited many examples, but only two of them served.
The hat is too small to serve.
I haven't got a hammer, but this stone should serve.
It's your turn to serve.
We must try to serve others.
The shop assistant is serving a customer.
The seven members of the medical staff serve 500 families.
You should serve your country.
No one can serve two masters.
He has served the farm faithfully for 20 years.
The restaurant serves nice food.
The house will serve his needs admirably.
I think that book will serve my turn.
The bolt is worn and not an exact fit but it will serve its turn until I can buy a new one.
The canals serve both transportation and irrigation.
Make the past serve the present and foreign things serve China.
Here's ten pounds. I think that will serve your purpose.
It's not exactly what I wanted but it will serve my purpose.
Tom has served his time.
She served two years in prison for theft.
My father served his time in the navy before opening a shop in the street.
She's already served two aces this game.
This area is served by buses of our company.
They were well served at a friend's house.
Come over and help me with cooking, or are you waiting to be served?
Breakfast will be served before long.
The outlying islands are served by a ferry which calls twice a week.
His words served to make the situation better.
This bad roof doesn't even serve to keep the rain out.
This polythene sheet should serve to keep out the rain for a while.
But this difficult position served to educate us and we learnt many things.
The arrest of the six leaders only served to strengthen the national liberation movement.
Their persecution only serves to arouse the opposition of the people.
This only serves to expose more clearly their true colours.
A single example will serve to illustrate the point.
This accident serves to show the importance of taking preventive measures.
Could you serve us tea and coffee?
She serves the guests coffee.
He served them the soup.
Don't serve him a trick.
He served me a bad turn.
She served beer and wine to them.
She served a good dinner to us.
This restaurant serves nice food to customers.
They had to serve dinner to 25 people at a time.
Make sure you serve the coffee hot.
It can be served either cold or hot.
- serve as (v.+prep.)
充当,担任 perform; act as serve as sb/sth
The dictionary may serve as a pillow.这本词典可以当枕头用。
A large wooden box served as our table.一只大木箱成了我们的桌子。
This serves as witness to the militant friendship between the two peoples.这是我们两国人民战斗友谊的见证。
Trade should not serve as a means of economic plunder.贸易不应当成为经济掠夺的手段。
This fact will serve as an illustration to show the importance of technical innovation.这一事实可以被用来说明技术革新的重要性。
- 充当,担任 perform; act as serve as sb/sth
- serve for (v.+prep.)
代替 stand for; take the place of serve for sth
The box will serve for a seat.这个箱子可以当作一个座位用。serve for v-ing
Many of these underground shelters are now serving for growing mushroom.许多这类地下防空洞现在成了种植蘑菇的地方。
The disguise may serve for deceiving the enemy.这种伪装可用于欺骗敌人。
- 代替 stand for; take the place of serve for sth
- serve in (v.+prep.)
在…任职 take a post in serve in sth
My uncle served in the 6th Army during World War II.第二次世界大战期间,我叔叔在第六军团服役。
It will indeed be an honour to serve in your government.在你的政府任职确实十分荣幸。
Dr. Norman Bethune served in China during the War of Resistance Against Japan.在抗日战争期间诺尔曼·白求恩大夫在中国服务。
- 在…任职 take a post in serve in sth
- serve on (v.+prep.)
在…任职 be a member of serve on sb/sth
I've been asked to serve on yet another committee, and I really don't have the time.我被邀请担任另一个委员会的委员,可是我确实没有时间。
I once served on a jury, so I know how the law works.我曾当过一次陪审团的成员,我知道法律是怎么回事。
- 在…任职 be a member of serve on sb/sth
- serve out (v.+adv.)
分发 hand out serve sth ⇔ out
You can help to serve out the vegetables, while I cut the meat.我切肉时你帮着分发一下蔬菜。
He has been ordered to serve out rations to soldiers.他被命令给士兵分发口粮。
复仇,报仇 avenge serve sb out
We will serve them out for the trick that they played on us.他们捉弄了我们,我们一定要报这个仇。
He has injured me times without number, and now I am going to serve him out.他已伤害过我无数次,现在我要回敬给他。
做到期满 serve to the end serve out sth
The president will serve out his full period of office and then leave owing to bad health.因身体不好,这位校长任期满后会离职。
The thief served out his two years in prison.那小偷在监狱服完了所判的二年徒刑。
- 分发 hand out serve sth ⇔ out
- serve up (v.+adv.)
端上桌,上饭菜 bring the food, dishes to the tableHe served up the head of his enemy on a plate.他用盘子端来了他敌人的头颅。
Our hostess served up a large plate of steaming hot dumplings. 女主人端上一大盘热气腾腾的饺子。
提供,发送 provide, deliverShe served up the usual excuses for being late.她端出了老一套的迟到的借口。
He served up some powerful propaganda. 他发送出一些有力的宣传材料。
Year after year, he served up the same old uninteresting facts and soon he had no students left. 他年复一年地总是教那些相同而且陈旧无味的东西,所以他的学生很快就所剩无几了。
- 端上桌,上饭菜 bring the food, dishes to the tableHe served up the head of his enemy on a plate.他用盘子端来了他敌人的头颅。
- serve with (v.+prep.)
提供 supply with serve sb with sth
Shall I serve you with vegetables, or would you rather help yourself?是我给你盛些蔬菜还是你随意取用?
They also served the customers with western food.他们也给顾客供应西餐。用于 be ～ed 结构
We are well served with gas in this town.这个城镇煤气供应很好。
He was served with beer and cakes.主人用啤酒和糕点款待他。
与…在一起服役 perform military duties together with serve with sb
He served with John during World War II.他在二战期间与约翰一起服过役。
- 提供 supply with serve sb with sth
- serve a ball 发球
- serve a cause 献身于某事业
- serve a gun 炮击
- serve a sentence 服刑
- serve an office 奉职,服务
- serve coffee 招待喝咖啡
- serve dinner 供应饭菜
- serve one right 罪有应得
- serve one's full term in office 任期已满
- serve one's interests 符合某人的利益
- serve one's term 任一期职
- serve purpose 达到目的
- serve sb a good dinner 招待…吃了一顿美餐
- serve soup 上汤
- serve tables 张罗膳食
- serve the army 服兵役
- serve the country 为国效力
- serve the customers 为顾客服务
- serve the devil 行恶,干坏事
- serve time 服刑
- serve first 先招待
- serve once 曾经服务
- serve some time 服务过一段时间
- serve well 开球开得好
- serve admirably 极好地招待
- serve apathetically 冷淡地招待
- serve badly 服务不好
- serve cheerfully 愉快地服务
- serve consciously 有意识地服务
- serve conspicuously 服务突出
- serve courteously 谦恭地服务
- serve deftly 熟练地开球
- serve directly 直接地服务
- serve eagerly 热切地服务
- serve elatedly 兴高采烈地服务
- serve elegantly 举止优雅地招待
- serve eminently 出色地招待
- serve enthusiastically 热情服务
- serve especially 特别服务
- serve faithfully 真诚地招待
- serve frankly 真诚地服务
- serve generally 普遍地服务
- serve graciously 有礼貌地招待
- serve grudgingly 勉强地服务
- serve indirectly 间接服务
- serve judiciously 明智地招待
- serve openly 公开服务
- serve passively 被动地服务
- serve reasonably 合理地服务
- serve reluctantly 不情愿地服务
- serve satisfactorily 满意地服务
- serve superficially 表面上服务
- serve tenderly 体贴地招待
- serve unconditionally 无条件地服务
- serve unwillingly 不情愿地招待
- serve usually 经常服务
- serve voluntarily 自愿地服务
- serve whole-heartedly 全心全意地服务
- serve out 分配(粮食等),分发
- serve out food 分发食物
- serve as 充当,用作,成为,起…作用
- serve as a hint 起暗示作用
- serve as a judge in a contest 在比赛中当裁判
- serve as a lesson 当作教训
- serve as a model in 作为…的榜样
- serve as a soldier 当兵
- serve as an example 当作范例
- serve at a hospital 在医院工作
- serve at table 做招待
- serve at the front 在前方服役
- serve for a bed 可用作床
- serve for a pillow 可用作枕头
- serve for a seat 用作凳子
- serve for a wing 充作翅膀
- serve for both purposes 两用
- serve for nothing 毫不中用
- serve for the office 当作办公室
- serve in a department store 在百货商店当营业员
- serve in the army 在陆军服役
- serve on 担任…公职
- serve to 发球给…
- serve under 服务于
- serve under the late general 曾在已故将军手下任职
- serve with 以…招待,向…送交
- serve sb with a summons 把传票送交某人
- serve with beer and cakes 以啤酒和蛋糕招待
- serve with the French Air Forces 在法国空军服役
- serve without salaries 义务帮忙
It was a nice serve, flat and low.出自：Martin Walker
He had been carried off..to serve as a slave.出自：S. T. Warner
- serve的基本意思是“服务,服役”,它可指某人为他人服务、干活或为国家尽职等; 也可指某人拿出某物款待某人; 还可指某人、物、事对某人、某事等“有…用处”“满足…的需要”“适合…的目的”等。在网球或排球比赛中还可作“发(球)”解。
- serve in, serve on
这两个短语都表示“在…任职”。其区别是：serve in用于相对较大的范围,而serve on用于相对较小的单位与机构。
- serve time, serve one's time
serve time的意思是“蹲过班房”或“吃了官司”; 而serve one's time则作“满期”或“见习期满”解。试比较:
- The blackguard has served time for three years.
- Tom has served his time.
- serve as, act as
这两个短语都可表示“充任,担任”。其区别是：serve as多指长期供职; 而act as所指时间则相对较短。试比较:
- He serves as manager and interpreter.
- She will act as my guide tomorrow.
- She served us a good dinner.
- She served a good dinner to us.
- She served us with a good dinner.
- She served in a bar.
- She served at a bar.
误 Our duty is to serve for the people.
正 Our duty is to serve the people.
- ☆ 12世纪后期英进入语，直接源自古法语的servir，意为发球；最初源自拉丁语的servire。
- serve:serve v. 当仆人, 服务, 服役, 供职, 招待, 侍候, 供应, 适合n. 发球习惯用语First come, first served. 先到先招待; 先到先供应。serve as [fo…