- [C] 翼,翅膀 either of the pair of parts that a bird, insect, bat, etc. used to fly
- [C] 翅膀,机翼 part that projects from the side of an aircraft and supports it in the air
- [C] 侧厅,耳房 part of building that projects from the main part
- [C] 侧翼 either of the planks of an army lined up for battle
- [S] 派,翼 part of an organization
- [C] 边侧,边锋队员 side part of the playing area in football, hockey, etc.; either of the forward players whose place is at the extreme end of the forward line
- [P] 飞行徽章 pilot's badge
- [P] 舞台上观众看不到的侧面 area to the right and left of the stage that is hidden from the audience by curtains, scenery, etc.
- vt. & vi. 飞行 fly on wings
- vt. & vi. 加快 lend speed to
- a movable organ for flying (one of a pair)
- one of the horizontal airfoils on either side of the fuselage of an airplane
- a stage area out of sight of the audience
- a unit of military aircraft
- the side of military or naval formation;
"they attacked the enemy's right flank"
- a hockey player stationed in a forward position on either side
- (in flight formation) a position to the side and just to the rear of another aircraft
- a group within a political party or legislature or other organization that holds distinct views or has a particular function;
"they are the progressive wing of the Republican Party"
- the wing of a fowl;
"he preferred the drumsticks to the wings"
- a barrier that surrounds the wheels of a vehicle to block splashing water or mud;
"in Britain they call a fender a wing"
- an addition that extends a main building
- travel through the air; be airborne;
"Man cannot fly"
- The hen tucked her head under her wing.
- A seagull fluttered down with an injured wing.
- The bird's left wing was hurt.
- Wild gooses wing regularly,haste and idle.
The bird quivered its wings.
The eagle expanded his wings.
A bird flies by flapping its wings.
The bird is colored yellowish in the back, wings and tail.
The plane's wings are very long.
I live in the west wing of the house.
The nearside wing was damaged in the collision.
The Senator is on the liberal wing of the Republican Party.
Have you got your wings yet?
She stood watching the performance from the wings.
The doves winged skyward.
Eating, drinking, talking, dancing, the evening winged past.
Terror winged his steps as the bear drew nearer.
Ambition winged her spirit.
I fired and winged him in the shoulder.
The bullet winged the bird but didn't kill it.
The house was winged on both sides.
- clip sb's wings
使…无计可施; 扼杀…的雄心 reduce sb's power〔influence〕
She used to go to a lot of parties but having to look after a baby has clipped her wings. 她以前常去参加许多集会,可是她的活动由于要照看小孩而受到限制。
Paul has gone back to live with his parents and he has to be home each night by eleven o'clock—that will really clip his wings! 保罗已搬回去同他的父母一起生活,而且必须每晚11点前回家——那真的会使他无计可施的!
- 使…无计可施; 扼杀…的雄心 reduce sb's power〔influence〕
- on the wing
飞翔 flyingThe lark's on the wing, the snail's on the thorn.云雀在飞翔,蜗牛出了头。
The autumn has come, and the birds are on the wing for warmer countries. 秋天来了,鸟群飞往暖和的国度。
在活动中,忙碌 being busy doing sthSusan was on the wing doing things to get ready for her trip.苏珊忙碌着为旅行做准备。
He is on the wing gathering material for his novels. 他在忙于收集他的小说素材。
- 在旅行中 being travellingThey stayed in France for a week and then they were on the wing again.他们在法国逗留了一星期,然后又继续旅行。
- 飞翔 flyingThe lark's on the wing, the snail's on the thorn.云雀在飞翔,蜗牛出了头。
- spread one's wings
开始独立行事 begin to act independently
You'll be ready to spread your wings soon. 你很快就可以大展宏图了。
My daughter wants to spread her wings and find a flat of her own to live in. 我女儿找了一套公寓自己住,想要开始独立生活。
- 开始独立行事 begin to act independently
- take under one's wing
庇护,保护 protect sb take sb under one's wing
Please take this new student under your wing.请照顾一下这位新同学。
She immediately took the new arrivals under her wing.她立刻去照看那些新来者。
I'll let Jack take her under his wing for a few days to show her what to do.我会让杰克带她几天,指导她做些什么。
He felt out of place at the new school until one of the older pupils took him under his wing.在有一位大一点的学生照料他以前,他在这所新学校里一直感到不适应。
- 庇护,保护 protect sb take sb under one's wing
- take wing(s)
起飞,飞走 fly away
The sudden noise frightened the birds, and they took wing. 突然的噪声把鸟群惊飞了。
The eagle has taken wing. 这只鹰已展翅高飞了。
Time takes wings when you're enjoying yourself. 当你正玩得高兴的时候,时间像飞似地一瞬而过。
- 起飞,飞走 fly away
- wait in the wings
等待时机 wait for an opportunity
The manager is soon to retire and Margaret is waiting in the wings. 经理马上就要退休了,玛格丽特正等待时机接替这一职位。
The chairman admits that he is now too old to fulfil all his responsibilities, but fortunately there are several younger men waiting in the wings. 主席承认,他现在因年事已高,不能履行他的所有职责了,但幸而有几个年轻人正准备接替他。
- 等待时机 wait for an opportunity
- wing across (v.+prep.)
飞越 fly over sth wing sth across sth
The eagle winged his way across the valley.雄鹰飞越山谷。
A crow is winging its solitary flight across the mountain.一只乌鸦正孤零零地飞越高山。
- 飞越 fly over sth wing sth across sth
- wing down (v.+adv.)
俯冲 (of a bird or an aeroplane) dive wing down
The plane came winging down towards the coast.飞机朝着海岸俯冲下来。
- 俯冲 (of a bird or an aeroplane) dive wing down
- wing over (v.+prep.)
飞越 fly over sth wing over sth
The bird winged over the sky.鸟飞过天空。wing sth over sth
The planes winged their way over the mountain.飞机飞越高山。
- 飞越 fly over sth wing over sth
- wing through (v.+prep.)
飞过 fly through sth wing through sth
The plane winged through the sky.飞机飞过天空。wing sth through sth
The plane winged its way through the clouds.飞机穿过云层。
- 飞过 fly through sth wing through sth
- wing to (v.+prep.)
传到; 飞向 spread sth into (some place); fly towards some place wing to sth
The good news winged to all corners of the country.好消息迅速传遍全国。wing sth to sth
The bird wings its way to the south.鸟飞向南方。
- 传到; 飞向 spread sth into (some place); fly towards some place wing to sth
- add wings to 加快…的速度
- clap wings 振翅
- flutter wings 拍动翅膀
- fold wing 将翅膀收起
- spread one's wings 张开翅膀,在实践中检验自己的能力
- take wing 飞去,迅速离去
- wing gaily 愉快地飞行
- wing gracefully 优美地飞行
- wing joyously 欢乐地飞行
- wing powerfully 有力地飞翔
- wing serenely 无忧无虑地飞行
- wing tirelessly 毫无倦意地飞行
- wing down 俯冲
The Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast.出自：Byron
A single bit of radio information, sent winging across space to earth.出自：C. Sagan
As Air Force One winged toward Washington.出自：Time
The Prince..flies back from Monaco..to wing off within hours for Papua New Guinea.出自：Times
A flight of herring gulls winging out to sea.出自：M. Wesley
- wing后接介词across或through表示“飞越”; 后接副词down表示“俯冲”。
- take wing, take wings
- on the wing, on wings
这两个短语意思不同:on the wing的意思是“在飞翔中的”,在句中多半用作定语; 而on wings的意思是“飞翔”,在句中多半用作状语,相当于by air。例如:
- Can you shoot that bird on the wing?
- Let's travel on wings.
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的wegne，意为翅膀。
- wing:wing n. 翅, 翅膀, 翼, 飞翔, 机翼, 派别vt. 装以翼, 飞过, 使飞, 空运, 增加...速度vi. 飞, 飞行 英英解释:名词wing:1. a movable organ for…