- [U]延伸,扩展 (an example of) the act of extending or being extended
- [C]增加部分 a part which is added to make sth longer, wider, or larger
- [C]电话分机 any of many telephone lines which connect various rooms or offices in a large building to the switchboard
- a mutually agreed delay in the date set for the completion of a job or payment of a debt;
"they applied for an extension of the loan"
- act of expanding in scope; making more widely available;
"extension of the program to all in need"
- the spreading of something (a belief or practice) into new regions
- an educational opportunity provided by colleges and universities to people who are not enrolled as regular students
- act of stretching or straightening out a flexed limb
- a string of characters beginning with a period and followed by one or more letters; the optional second part of a PC computer filename;
"most applications provide extensions for the files they create"
"most BASIC files use the filename extension .BAS"
- the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to;
"the extension of `satellite of Mars' is the set containing only Demos and Phobos"
- the ability to raise the working leg high in the air;
"the dancer was praised for her uncanny extension"
"good extension comes from a combination of training and native ability"
- amount or degree or range to which something extends;
"the wire has an extension of 50 feet"
- an additional telephone set that is connected to the same telephone line
- an addition to the length of something
- an addition that extends a main building
- This cord is not long enough! do you have an extension?
- His leg was now capable of full extension.
- He asked for an extension of his visa.
- We built an extension to our house.
- He sees local history as an extension of family history.
- The country decided to have an extension of government control on the market.
- There are telephone extensions in every office.
- You can optionally filter the list by extension and keyword contained inthe file name, and also choose to include sub-directories.
They have built an extension to the hospital.
The pupils disliked the extension of the term.
The extension is nearly finished.
The extension is 8010.
- business extension 分店营业所
- pedal extension 踏板的接长节
- railway extension 铁路的延长部分
- telephone extension 电话分机
- time extension 延长时间
The metaphor of the psychic voyage is an extension of the romantic idea of travel.出自：S. Sontag
- extension同extent均是extend的名词形式:前者既可作不可数名词，表示“伸展，扩充”，也可作可数名词，表示“附加部分，延伸部分”。例如the extension of foreign trade（外贸的扩展）和an extension of one's summer holidays（暑假的延长时间）。后者表达的是“事物延伸的广度，程度，范围等”，如through the whole extent of the country（在全国范围内）。
错句：to what extension do you support the plan?
纠正：to what extent do you support the plan?
- ☆ 1400年左右英入进语，直接源自古典拉丁语的extendere，意为事物伸展的部分。
- extension:extension n. 延长, 扩充, 范围n. 扩展名adj. [逻]外延的, 客观现实的 英英解释:名词extension:1. a mutually agreed delay in the d…