- vt. & vi. 走过; 经过 get or go through, across, over or between
- vt. 递给; 传 give especially by hand
- vt. 度过; 花费 spend (time), especially in a way that does not seem too long or dull
- vt. & vi. 通过,批准 succeed in (an examination); be approved
- [C]越过,通过 an act of moving past
- [C]通行证,许可证 paper or card giving sb permission, e.g. to enter, leave or be absent form a place
- [C]通道,山口 a way by which one may move or travel through or over a place, especially over a range of mountains
- (baseball) an advance to first base by a batter who receives four balls;
"he worked the pitcher for a base on balls"
- (military) a written leave of absence;
"he had a pass for three days"
- (American football) a play that involves one player throwing the ball to a teammate;
"the coach sent in a passing play on third and long"
- the location in a range of mountains of a geological formation that is lower than the surrounding peaks;
"we got through the pass before it started to snow"
- any authorization to pass or go somewhere;
"the pass to visit had a strict time limit"
- a document indicating permission to do something without restrictions;
"the media representatives had special passes"
- a flight or run by an aircraft over a target;
"the plane turned to make a second pass"
- a bad or difficult situation or state of affairs
- a difficult juncture;
"a pretty pass"
"matters came to a head yesterday"
- one complete cycle of operations (as by a computer);
"it was not possible to complete the computation in a single pass"
- you advance to the next round in a tournament without playing an opponent;
"he had a bye in the first round"
- a permit to enter or leave a military installation;
"he had to show his pass in order to get out"
- a complimentary ticket;
"the star got passes for his family"
- a usually brief attempt;
"he took a crack at it"
"I gave it a whirl"
- (sports) the act of throwing the ball to another member of your team;
"the pass was fumbled"
- success in satisfying a test or requirement;
"his future depended on his passing that test"
"he got a pass in introductory chemistry"
- of advancing the ball by throwing it;
"a team with a good passing attack"
"a pass play"
- go across or through;
"We passed the point where the police car had parked"
"A terrible thought went through his mind"
- move past;
"A black limousine passed by when she looked out the window"
"He passed his professor in the hall"
"One line of soldiers surpassed the other"
- make laws, bills, etc. or bring into effect by legislation;
"They passed the amendment"
"We cannot legislate how people spend their free time"
- pass by;
"three years elapsed"
- place into the hands or custody of;
"hand me the spoon, please"
"Turn the files over to me, please"
"He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
- stretch out over a distance, space, time, or scope; run or extend between two points or beyond a certain point;
"Service runs all the way to Cranbury"
"His knowledge doesn't go very far"
"My memory extends back to my fourth year of life"
"The facts extend beyond a consideration of her personal assets"
- travel past;
"The sports car passed all the trucks"
- come to pass;
"What is happening?"
"The meeting took place off without an incidence"
"Nothing occurred that seemed important"
- go unchallenged; be approved;
"The bill cleared the House"
- pass time in a specific way;
"how are you spending your summer vacation?"
- pass over, across, or through;
"He ran his eyes over her body"
"She ran her fingers along the carved figurine"
"He drew her hair through his fingers"
- transmit information ;
"Please communicate this message to all employees"
"pass along the good news"
- disappear gradually;
"The pain eventually passed off"
- go successfully through a test or a selection process;
"She passed the new Jersey Bar Exam and can practice law now"
- be superior or better than some standard;
"She exceeded our expectations"
"She topped her performance of last year"
- accept or judge as acceptable;
"The teacher passed the student although he was weak"
- allow to go without comment or censure;
"the insult passed as if unnoticed"
- transfer to another; of rights or property;
"Our house passed under his official control"
- pass into a specified state or condition;
"He sank into nirvana"
- throw (a ball) to another player;
- be inherited by;
"The estate fell to my sister"
"The land returned to the family"
"The estate devolved to an heir that everybody had assumed to be dead"
- cause to pass;
"She passed around the plates"
- grant authorization or clearance for;
"Clear the manuscript for publication"
"The rock star never authorized this slanderous biography"
- pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life;
"She died from cancer"
"The children perished in the fire"
"The patient went peacefully"
"The old guy kicked the bucket at the age of 102"
- eliminate from the body;
"Pass a kidney stone"
- The bill passed and became law.
- I passed the store on my way to the library.
- Where did you pass the vacation?
- Pass the salt, please.
- What happened after three months pass?
- It came to pass in those days that there went out a decree.
- A sergeant asked the stranger to show his pass.
- She got a pass in math.
The parade passed.
The road was too narrow for cars to pass.
Because of the large crowd in the street the car was unable to pass.
The Bill passed and became law.
This coin will not pass here.
A week passed quickly.
The time passed pleasantly.
Two weeks has passed since the new term began.
Months have passed and nothing happened.
Six months passed and still we had no news of them.
King Arthur passed in peace.
I have been standing here for an hour but no one has passed me.
Did you pass the words?
Dick passed the football quickly.
How will you pass your holiday?
Paul passed his time in doing nothing.
What can we do to pass the time?
All of us have passed the examination in English.
I hope I will pass all the subjects.
All students have to pass the entrance examination before being admitted into the university.
The UN General Assembly passed the draft resolution.
If you break the window, do not pass the buck; admit that you did it.
Pass me some butter, please.
He passed her the bread.
Please pass me the plate, the salt and the butter.
Read this and pass it to your neighbour.
The fruit-picker in the tree passed the fruit to the man who stood at the foot with a basket.
He passed his property to his heir.
He passed the news to his wife.
He is the kind to pass the buck to his subordinates.
The aircraft made a few passes over the enemy camp, but didn't drop any bombs.
He only got a pass for his physics.
She got seven passes.
The man handed out his pass and showed it to the guard.
The guard won't let anyone through the gate without a pass.
The place was well guarded, and you couldn't get in without a pass.
We had to show our passes to the security guard.
All visitors must show their passes before entering the building.
Tom gave him a free pass on the railway.
On Sunday the train would be full of soldiers on weekend passes.
I lifted my head and looked up.Red flags were flying from the pass.
He threw a long pass into the corner.
- bring to pass
引起,使发生 cause to happen bring sth to pass
After trying for weeks to close the deal we finally brought it to pass.经过数周努力去结束这笔交易,我们终于成功了。
His wife's death brought a change to pass in his attitude toward religion.他妻子的死使他改变了对宗教的态度。
The government has promised to improve prison conditions, but I doubt if they will ever bring their promises to pass.政府允诺改善监狱状况,但我怀疑他们是否会付诸实施。
- 引起,使发生 cause to happen bring sth to pass
- come to pass
实现,发生 actually occur as predicted, planned or hoped for
The prophecy came to pass. 预言实现了。
The plan has been approved but goodness knows when it will come to pass. 计划得到了批准,但天晓得什么时候能实现。
How can such a terrible state of affairs have come to pass? 这种可怕的事态是怎样发生的?
Many people would like the electoral system to be reformed but I don't believe this will ever come to pass. 很多人都想要改革选举制度,但我认为不可能实现。
- 实现,发生 actually occur as predicted, planned or hoped for
- pass along1 (v.+adv.)
传送,传递 hand on pass sth ⇔ along
Read this and pass it along, please.请传阅。
- 传送,传递 hand on pass sth ⇔ along
- pass along2 (v.+prep.)
沿…向前走 proceed along pass along sth
The procession passed along the street.游行队伍沿着街道前进。
- 沿…向前走 proceed along pass along sth
- pass away (v.+adv.)
(时间等)消磨掉,过去 occupy time in a pleasant, an easy way pass away
We had so much fun that the weekend passed away before we realized it.我们很快乐,不知不觉周末就过去了。pass sth ⇔ away
Conversation with friends soon passed an evening away.与友人闲聊,一个晚上很快就消磨掉了。
They passed the afternoon away playing cards.他们打了一下午牌。
去世 die pass away
I was grieved to learn that his mother passed away.他妈妈去世的消息使我感到很悲痛。
终止; 停止 cease to exist pass away
The morning mist passed away quickly.朝雾很快消逝了。
The storm should pass away before dark.天黑以前风暴会停止的。
When automobiles become popular, the use of the horse and buggy passed away.汽车普及后,就不再使用马和马车了。
Your illness will soon pass away.你的病不久就会好的。
All this trouble will pass away.这一切困难都将结束。
- (时间等)消磨掉,过去 occupy time in a pleasant, an easy way pass away
- pass by1 (v.+adv.)
经过; 过去 go by pass by
So many people pass by and never notice the old lonely people staying by the road all day.很多人从旁边经过,但从没留意到那些成天呆在路边的孤独老人。
The road passes by on the side of the village.这条大路从村子边上通过。
Time quickly passed by without our knowing it.时间不知不觉地很快就过去了。
疏忽,不予理会,回避 fail to notice; overlook; disregard pass sb/sth by
I inadvertently passed this essay by.我漫不经心地把这篇散文忽略过去了。
I can't pass the matter by without a protest.我不能对此事视而不见,我要提出抗议。用于 be ～ed 结构
If small mistakes are passed by, they may lead to more serious ones.小错不改,将会酿成大错。
- 经过; 过去 go by pass by
- pass by2 (v.+prep.)
经过 go past pass by sb/sth
She passed close by me without a sign of recognition.她与我擦肩而过,却没认出我。
The young man who passed by us is the assistant of our chemistry lab.从我们身边走过的那位年轻人是化学实验室的管理员。
I passed by your house yesterday.我昨天路过你家。
- 经过 go past pass by sb/sth
- pass down (v.+adv.)
把…一代传一代; 使流传 pass sth from one generation to the next; hand down pass sth ⇔ down 常用于 be ～ed 结构
This ring has been passed down in my family.这个戒指是我家祖传下来的。
The skill has been passed down over four generations.这一技术已经传了四代人了。
- 把…一代传一代; 使流传 pass sth from one generation to the next; hand down pass sth ⇔ down 常用于 be ～ed 结构
- pass for (v.+prep.)
被误认为是 be accepted as or mistaken for pass for sb/sth
The two of them look so much alike that they often pass for sisters.她们看上去很相像,人们常常把她们看作同胞姐妹。
In this small village, he passed for a learned man.在这个小村子里,他被视为学识渊博的人。
His Chinese is so good that he could pass for a native.他的汉语如此之好以至于别人误以为他是中国人。
Among the people of that small town he passed for a man of considerable means.他在那个小镇的居民当中被认为是一个相当有钱的人。
- 被误认为是 be accepted as or mistaken for pass for sb/sth
- pass in (v.+adv.)
进入 enter pass in
Is there room for two people at a time to pass in?这空间是否能使两人同时进入?
- 进入 enter pass in
- pass into (v.+prep.)
获准进入; 获准入学 gain admission to
He passed into the Military Academy with no difficulty. 他毫无困难地获准就读军事学院。
逐渐变成 become gradually
Many foreign words have passed into the English language. 有很多外来语已成为英语的一部分。
When water boils, it passes into steam. 水沸腾时变成蒸汽。
Patients under hypnosis pass into a trance-like state. 被催眠的病人逐渐进入昏睡状态。
- 获准进入; 获准入学 gain admission to
- pass off (v.+adv.)
转移注意 turn attention from pass sth ⇔ off
He passed off the difficult question.他不重视这个难题。用于 be ～ed 结构
His rude remark was passed off by the host.主人并没有把他粗鲁的话放在心上。
冒充; 假装为 represent falsely to be pass sb/sth ⇔ off as n.
He tried to pass himself off as a qualified doctor.他企图冒充自己是一名合格的医生。
He passed off this theory as his own.他谎称这一理论是由他自己提出来的。
- 转移注意 turn attention from pass sth ⇔ off
- pass on1 (v.+adv.)
前进; 继续下去 move on pass on
I bowed to her and passed on.我向她鞠躬然后向前走去。
He stopped for a moment, and then passed on.他停了一会儿,又向前走去。
If there's no further discussion about this point, let's pass on.如果就这一点没有进一步要讨论的,那么我们继续往下去。pass on to sth
Let's pass on to the next subject now.现在让我们来继续讨论下一个议题。
Then the teacher passed on to the next step of question and answer.然后教师转入下一步问答练习。
传递; 传授 send sth from person to person pass sth ⇔ on (to sb)
Pass the letter on to the person sitting next to you.把信传给坐在你旁边的人。
He tried to pass the job on to me, but I soon got rid of it.他试图把工作推给我,不过我很快把它摆脱了。
As he grew up, he passed on his clothes to his younger brother.他长大了,把衣服留给了弟弟。用于 be ～ed 结构
The news was passed on by word of mouth.消息通过口头传开了。
This ring has been passed on in my family from mother to daughter.在我家,这只戒指一直母女相传至今。
去世 die pass on
He passed on in his sleep.他在睡眠中死去。
- 前进; 继续下去 move on pass on
- pass on2 (v.+prep.)
对…发表(意见); 作(判断) give an opinion, judgement, etc. on pass on sb/sth
The judges passed on each contestant.裁判员对每一位参赛者加以品评。pass sth on sb/sth
Most people are too ready to pass an opinion on their neighbours.大多数人都太急于对他们的邻居下结论了。
- 对…发表(意见); 作(判断) give an opinion, judgement, etc. on pass on sb/sth
- pass out (v.+adv.)
〈口〉昏厥,失去知觉 faint; lose consciousness pass out
She passed out when she heard the tragic news.当她听到这悲惨的消息时,一下子晕倒了。
It's very hot in this room.If I don't get some fresh air I think I'm going to pass out.这屋子非常闷热,如果我吸不到一些新鲜空气,我想我就要昏倒了。
分配; 分发 distribute; hand out pass sth ⇔ out
The teacher began to pass out the papers at 8：15.八点一刻老师开始发考卷。
The exhibitors at the trade fair pass out free samples to stimulate interest.展览会的展出者免费分发样品,以引起人们的兴趣。
毕业; 通过考试 leave college, etc., having passed one's examinations pass out
How many of the young men passed out this year?今年有多少年轻人毕业?
- 〈口〉昏厥,失去知觉 faint; lose consciousness pass out
- pass over (v.+adv.)
置之不理,忽视 fail to notice; overlook pass sb/sth ⇔ over
They passed me over in favor of young Hill.他们忽视我而看重年轻的希尔。
If you don't know the answer to the second question, then just pass it over.你要是不知道第二个问题的答案,那就不要管它。
Don't pass any detail over.不要忽视任何细节。用于 be ～ed 结构
No chance to improve conditions should be passed over.任何可改善现状的机会都不可放过。
He was passed over by the Army Promotion Board.他未被陆军晋级委员会提升。
- 置之不理,忽视 fail to notice; overlook pass sb/sth ⇔ over
- pass through (v.+prep.)
经过,通过 go through
She said she was passing through Paris and would like to have a chat with me. 她说她要路过巴黎,想跟我聊一聊。
经历,经受 experience; suffer
The astronauts passed through an anxious hour when the onboard computer started to malfunction. 宇宙飞船上的计算机发生故障,宇航员们焦虑不安地熬了一个小时。
The country is passing through troublesome time. 该国动荡不安。
经历并完成 undergo and complete a course of training
His younger brother has passed through police academy to qualify for promotion as inspector. 他的弟弟完成了警校课程,从而获得了晋升督察的资格。
- 经过,通过 go through
- pass up (v.+adv.)
〈口〉错过 decline to accept; fail to take advantage of pass up sth
He passed up the chance to go to college.他错过了上大学的机会。
It's a pity that Mike passed up such a good opportunity.迈克错过了这么好的一个机会,真是可惜。
I had a chance to go to America, but I passed up it.我曾有个去美国的机会,但我错过了。
Never pass up a chance to improve your English.绝不要错过任何能提高你英语水平的机会。
- 〈口〉错过 decline to accept; fail to take advantage of pass up sth
- pass current 通电流
- pass examination 通过考试
- pass hat 募捐
- pass sb sugar 把糖递给某人
- pass time of day with 与…互相问候
- pass cheerfully 兴致勃勃地度过
- pass comfortably 惬意地度过
- pass commonly 平常地度过
- pass completely 完全通过
- pass cordially 真心诚意地度过
- pass despairingly 绝望地度过
- pass dramatically 戏剧化地度过
- pass enthusiastically 热情度过
- pass entirely 全部通过
- pass eventually 最终通过
- pass immediately 立即通过
- pass merrily 愉快地度过
- pass necessarily 有必要地通过
- pass peacefully 平静地度过
- pass pleasantly 高兴地度过
- pass profitably 有益地度过
- pass rapidly 飞快地走过
- pass reluctantly 不情愿地走过
- pass secretly 秘密地度过
- pass slowly 慢慢地走过
- pass successfully 成功地通过
- pass suddenly 突然走过
- pass temporarily 暂时通过
- pass ultimately 最终通过
- pass unanimously 一致通过
- pass unconsciously 不知不觉地度过
- pass around 传开
- pass away 结束
- pass away time 度过时间
- pass by 疏忽,时间消失
- pass off 假冒
- pass on 过世
- pass out 昏厥,失去知觉
- pass over 忽视
- pass round salt 把盐递过来
- pass up 放弃
- pass up invitation 拒绝邀请
- pass across street 穿过街道
- pass along street 沿街而过
- pass as Frenchman 充当一名法国人
- pass between two 在两人中经过
- pass by one's house 走过房前
- pass for great scholar 看作是大学者
- pass from generation to generation 一代代地传下来
- pass from mind 为某人所遗忘
- pass from one subject to another 从一个话题转到另一话题
- pass into law 成为法律
- pass into proverb 成为格言
- pass out of current use 目前已不用
- pass over bridge 通过桥梁
- pass over fault 忽视某人的错误
- pass through many hardships 经历了许多苦难
- pass through town 穿过城镇
- block pass 堵塞通道,截球,断球
- clear pass 打通通道
- climb pass 攀登山路
- make pass 飞越
- make pass at sb 勾引,调情
- throw pass 手传球
- cancel pass 吊销许可证
- get pass in English 〈英〉英语及格
- give sb free pass 给某人免费乘车证
- have free pass 有免费乘车证
- travel on pass 用通行证旅行
- free pass 免费入场券
- periodical pass 定期乘车证
- rugged pass 崎岖的山路
- special pass 特别通行证
- complete pass 传球到位
- incomplete pass 传球不到位
- lateral pass 横向传球
- on pass 凭证,得到许可
The guide..Led slowly through the pass's jaws.出自：Sir W. Scott
To no other pass my verses tend Than of your graces and your gifts to tell.出自：Sonnets,Shakespeare
A servant with a lighted taper passed from gas-bracket to gas-bracket.出自：E. Bowen
He rose..and drawing the curtain passed out into the cave.出自：Tolkien
He passed into one of the offices of the inner court.出自：G. Greene
- pass有多种意思：可表示“穿过”或“渡过”，如pass an ocean（渡洋），pass a desert（穿过沙漠）。pass也可表示“从……旁边经过”，如pass a city（路过一个城市），pass a street（从一条街边经过）。另外，pass可表示“死亡”的时候，如pass away（去世）；
- pass an examination表示“在一次考试里及格”，没有“参加或完成该次考试”的意思；
He has passed the examination.
He has passed in English.
He has passed in all the subjects.
I have passed over the passage.
词组pass on ... to表示“把……传递或转告给……”。
I told him that I should be very glad to pass on his request to you.
Seen at a distance,she might have passed for a girl of twenty.
- pass作“通过,经过,穿过”解时,可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作不及物动词时常和副词搭配使用; 用作及物动词时接名词或代词作宾语。
- 有时pass可用作系动词,例如:Many important things have passed unnoticed.很多重要的事情都忽视了。
- bring〔come〕 to pass中的pass在朗文词典中是作动词原形; 而在牛津词典中pass却是作名词。
- pass, pass by
pass和pass by都可指“从…旁边经过”,口语中常混用。不过, pass强调的是动作的完成,而pass by则强调动作的过程,含有“经过时不停顿”的意味。试比较：
- Soon our car passed theirs.
- Soon our car passed by theirs.
- pass as, pass for
pass as意为“假冒”; pass for的意思则是“被认为是”。试比较:
- Do you think I could pass as a Frenchman?
- She would pass for an American very easily.
- pass by, pass through
pass by的意思是“从…旁边走过”,而pass through的意思是“从…(中间)穿过”。试比较:
- They passed by the martyr's tomb.
- They passed through the road.
- pass, spend
pass和spend都有“度过时光”的意思,两个词常常可以互换。其区别是：1.在伴随有表示“地点”的副词或副词短语时,通常使用spend而不使用pass。2.如果仅仅表示“打发时间,消磨时间”时,较多地使用pass; 如果表示“因某种目的而愉快度过,无忧无虑地度过节假日”时,要使用spend; 如表示“花费时间做某事”也使用spend一词。例如:I spent a good holiday in Spain this summer.今年夏季我在西班牙度过了一个愉快的假期。A week may be spent in seeing the interesting sights of the city.参观这个城市的名胜古迹可能要用一个星期。
- pass away, die, expire, perish
这组词(组)都有“死”的意思。其区别是：die是这一组词中最常用的,用于一切有生命的或被人们比喻为有生命的东西; expire是书面用语,是一种委婉的说法,意思是“呼出最后一口气”; pass away是die的委婉说法,语气比较缓和; perish是较正式用语,指死于暴力或困境等非正常死亡。例如:He became very ill and then he died.他病得很重,接着就死了。The old man expired at the age of eighty.老人于80岁时逝世。Five people perished in the fire.大火中有五人丧生。
- He passed by the road.
- bring to pass, come to pass
这两个短语意思和用法并不相同:1.bring to pass意思是“执行”“完成”, come to pass意思是“发生”。2.bring to pass短语中的bring后须接名词或代词作宾语,而come to pass则无此意。试比较:
- Our decisions have been brought to pass very satisfactorily.
- It will come to pass one day when we shall be able to establish a modern country- side.
- 我们能够建立起一个现代化农村的日 子一定会到来。
误 I am going to pass my music examination on Thursday.
正 I am going to take my music examination on Thursday.
误 I past an odd-looking man in the street.
正 I passed an odd-looking man in the street.
误 She past her examination with flying colours.
正 She passed her examination with flying colours.
误 The motion has been passed by the committee.
正 The committee has passed the motion.
错句：she was passed for a chinese.
纠正：she passed for a chinese.
- ☆ 1275年左右进英入语，直接源自古法语的passer；最初源自古典拉丁语的passus，意为步子。
- PASS:Pull, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep (using a fire extinguisher)拉、目标、挤压、清扫(使用灭火器)
- PASS:Personal Alert Safety System个人安全报警系统
- PASS:Primary Avionics Software System主要航空软件系统
- pass:pass n. 经过, 关口, 途径, 护照, 通行证, 入场券, 传球, 及格vt. 通过, 审查通过, 忽略, 传递vi. 经过, 变化, 流通, 宣判, 被忽略, 终止, 传递, 不叫牌 英英解…