- （复）arms: 军事行动；纹章；兵役.
- = antiradar missile 反雷达飞弹
- = antiradiation missile 反辐射飞弹
- = automated route management 自动化程式管理
- = adjustable rate mortgage 可调息抵押贷款
- = Asynchronous Response Mode 异步应答方式
- 用武器装备，武装（到牙齿），全副武装， 装备武器、工具等，装备（防御工事）
- [C]臂 the part of body from shoulder to hand
- [U]武器,军火 a thing that you use for fighting
- vt. & vi. 把…武装起来 supply weapons and armor
- a human limb; technically the part of the superior limb between the shoulder and the elbow but commonly used to refer to the whole superior limb
- any projection that is thought to resemble a human arm;
"the arm of the record player"
"an arm of the sea"
"a branch of the sewer"
- any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting;
"he was licensed to carry a weapon"
- the part of an armchair or sofa that supports the elbow and forearm of a seated person
- a division of some larger or more complex organization;
"a branch of Congress"
"botany is a branch of biology"
"the Germanic branch of Indo-European languages"
- the part of a garment that is attached at the armhole and that provides a cloth covering for the arm
- prepare oneself for a military confrontation;
"The U.S. is girding for a conflict in the Middle East"
"troops are building up on the Iraqi border"
- supply with arms;
"The U.S. armed the freedom fighters in Afghanistan"
- You should wind a cloth round the wounded arm.
- The archer holds the bow in his bow arm.
- His left arm was hurt in an accident.
- He draped his legs over the arm of the chair.
- There's a tear in the arm of my jacket.
- They were not allowed to use arms.
- The new battleship shall be armed with 16-inch guns.
- The nation must arm its soldiers for battle.
He broke his arm in an accident.
They took me by the arm.
Every person has two arms, the right arm and the left arm.
The right arm is usually stronger.
She put her arm around his neck and kissed him.
Don't stay under the arm of a derrick!
A hooligan put the arm on him last night when he was on his way home.
The policemen put the arm on the man until they could verify his story.
They were not allowed to use arms.
British policemen do not usually carry arms.
People were up in arms against the invaders.
There is no need to get up in arms about such trifles.
Their former enemy is arming again.
War is certain, we should arm without delay.
He said that both sides were arming themselves.
We must know how to arm ourselves.
During World War II the United States armed many of its allies.
In colonial days the French armed the Indians to attack the British.
The man was armed to the teeth.
Arming only with a short sword, he drove off five of his attackers.
Armed with such a precept, a number of doctors may slip into deceptive practices.
- arm in arm
挽臂,携手 with the arm of one person being passed through the bent arm of the other
The boys ran down the road arm in arm. 孩子们手挽手沿着马路跑去。
The new couple walked arm in arm into the theatre. 那对新婚夫妇手挽手的走进了剧院。
- 挽臂,携手 with the arm of one person being passed through the bent arm of the other
- bear arms
从军,服兵役 join the army
In case of need, we must bear arms. 在需要的时候,我们都必须从军。
- 从军,服兵役 join the army
- go to arms
诉诸武力 settle the matter by the use of the army
Having failed to resolve their disputes at the conference table, the two countries went to arms. 和平解决争端的努力失败以后,两国便诉诸武力。
- 诉诸武力 settle the matter by the use of the army
- make a long arm for
伸臂去拿某物 reach arms to catch sth
The monkey made a long arm for the peach. 猴子伸臂去摘桃子。
- 伸臂去拿某物 reach arms to catch sth
- twist arm
强迫 oblige sb to do sth
I've really had quite enough to eat, but perhaps if you twist my arm I could have just a little bit more. 我真的吃得非常饱了,不过要是你硬要我再吃,也许我还可以吃一点。
- 强迫 oblige sb to do sth
- arm against( v.+prep. )
为对付…而武装起来; 对…加以防备 provide defence for oneself or sb with weapons, etc. against sth; guard against arm against sth
We bought the house to arm against big price rises.我们买了这处住宅,以防大涨价。arm sb/oneself against sb/sth
We must arm the people against the lowering of our morals.我们必须武装人们的头脑,以防我们的道德标准降低。
- 为对付…而武装起来; 对…加以防备 provide defence for oneself or sb with weapons, etc. against sth; guard against arm against sth
- arm for ( v.+prep. )
武装…以备 supply sb with weapons for; prepare for arm for sth
The soldiers armed for battle.士兵们拿起武器准备战斗。arm sb/sth for sth
The nation must arm its soldiers for battle.国家必须为战士提供打仗武器。
- 武装…以备 supply sb with weapons for; prepare for arm for sth
- arm with ( v.+prep. )
用…武装; 向…提供 provide sb with weapons; provide with the means to gain sth arm sb/oneself/sth with sth
They armed him with a rifle.他们发给他一支步枪。
John had armed himself with an excuse before he went to see the headmaster.约翰去见校长之前已经为自己准备好了一个借口。用于 be ～ed 结构
The crowd were armed with broken bottles.那帮人手中备有碎酒瓶子。
The divers were armed with cameras and collecting gear.潜水员配备了照相机和收集用具。
A teacher should be armed with answers to questions that his pupils are likely to ask.一个教师应该准备好学生可能提出的问题答案。
The warship was armed with 16-inch guns.战舰配有16英寸口径大炮。
- 用…武装; 向…提供 provide sb with weapons; provide with the means to gain sth arm sb/oneself/sth with sth
- bend one's arms 弯曲手臂
- break one's arms 弄断手臂
- chance one's arm 冒一次险,冒险试一下
- cross one's arms 交叉双臂
- fold one's arms 把两臂交叉于胸前,袖手旁观
- make an arm 伸手取
- open one's arms 伸开双臂
- put one's arm around sb 用手搂着某人
- raise one's arms 举起双臂
- throw arm around sb 用手搂着某人
- throw into sb's arms 投入某人怀抱
- wave one's arm 挥动手臂
- bear arms 服兵役,当兵
- carry arms 携带武器
- go to arms 诉诸武力
- lay down one's arms 放下武器,投降
- rise in arms 起义
- stand to arms 反抗,自卫
- take up arms 拿起武器,武装起来
- a wound in the arm 胳膊上的伤口
- coat of arms 盾形纹章
- on the arm 臂上
- have a basket on one's arm 手臂上挽着篮子
- the call to arms 战斗号令
- under arm 在腋下
- men under arms 现役军人
- troops under arms 处于战备状态的军队
- arm against a potential enemy 为防御潜在的敌人而武装起来
- arm oneself against danger 武装起来,对付危险
- arm at 戒备
- arm from top to toe 从头到脚武装起来
- arm to the teeth 武装到牙齿
- arm missiles with nuclear warheads 给导弹装上核弹头
- arm one's mind with dialectics 用辩证法武装头脑
- arm the Governor with veto power 授予州长否决权
- arm with an evil tongue 惯于恶语中伤
- arm with excuses 总有借口
- arm with five guns 配备5门大炮
- arm with thorns 长满刺
- arm without delay 立即武装起来
He got up and put his arm around her like a brother.出自：G. Stein
Outside I met Therese with her arms full of pillows and blankets.出自：J. Conrad
Allowing his long, gorilla-like arms to hang loosely over the edge of his seat.出自：D. Lodge
Boys..clap their female joints In stiff unwieldy arms.出自：Richard II,Shakespeare
Enough swords, pistols, partisans, cross-bows, and blunderbusses to arm a whole irregular regiment.出自：G. K. Chesterton
Armed themselves, fought and won battles against their hostile neighbours.出自：P. Gallico
keep at arm's length属于习语，有时指“避免同……亲近”。
The mother kept her baby at arm's length, thinking that he might try to kiss her.
at arm's length指“伸臂可达之处”，单用时，也不加an。
He held the picture at arm's length to show it to me.
- chance one's arm的意思是“冒险,做冒险的事”; give one's right arm的意思是“付出极大代价”。
- arms, weapon
- The soldiers have enough arms.
- Guns and swords are weapons.
- He used the pen as his weapon.
- ［误］ Are tears woman's arms?
- ［正］ Are tears woman's weapon?
- with open arms, with open hands
with open arms的意思是“热情地”, with open hands则是“花钱大手大脚地”的意思。例如:We welcomed these foreign guests with open arms.我们热情地欢迎这些外宾。Susan spends her money with open hands.苏珊花钱大手大脚。
误 The woman who is carrying a child with her arms is my aunt.
正 The woman who is carrying a child in her arms is my aunt.
析 “抱着…”应说carry...in one's arms,其中介词不能用with,因为这里表示的是状态,而不是用某种工具。
误 These soldiers were provided with American arm.
正 These soldiers were provided with American arms.
误 He took me by my arm.
正 He took my arm.
正 He took me by the arm.
析 抓住某人身体的某部位用句型“take sb by the+ n. (被抓的部位)”或“take sb's+ n. ”。
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的rames；最初源自拉丁语的rama，意为武器。
- armed adj. 武装(到某种程度)的
- arm:ARM ARM 即Advanced RISC Machines的缩写,既可以认为是一个公司的名字，也可以认为是对一类微处理器的通称，还可以认为是一种技术的名字。1985年4月26日，第一个ARM原型…