- v. 匆忙；催促；赶紧
- n. 匆忙；仓促；急忙
- vt. & vi. 催促; 急忙 move or do sth quickly
- [U]匆忙,急忙 need or wish to get sth done quickly; eager haste
a condition of urgency making it necessary to hurry;
"in a hurry to lock the door"
overly eager speed (and possible carelessness);
"he soon regretted his haste"
the act of moving hurriedly and in a careless manner;
"in his haste to leave he forgot his book"
move very fast;
"The runner zipped past us at breakneck speed"
act or move at high speed;
"We have to rush!"
urge to an unnatural speed;
"Don't rush me, please!"
- She hurried to the airport.
- He picked up his bag and hurried off along the platform.
- Don't let anyone hurry you into making a decision.
- We'd better hurry to the station by taxi to catch the train.
- You must hurry up or you cannot finish it in time.
- In his hurry, his bike ran against a tree.
- He was in a hurry to leave.
- You must avoid making decisions in a hurry .
- They squeezed through the crowd in a hurry.
- He put on his clothes in a hurry.
- My wife went home in a hurry only to find the door locked.
- Hurry! hurry! the police will come no time; help the box down; throw it into the car.
- Don't hurry; there is plenty of time.
- Let's hurry a bit, we are far behind them.
- You'd better hurry if you want to catch the first bus.
- Hurry and come back.
- Hurry and get home before it gets dark.
- We must hurry and take him to hospital.
- When school was over she hurried home.
- We all hurried upstairs to see what was going on.
- She hurried across the road to catch the bus.
- Don't hurry the cook or she'll spoil the dinner.
- It's no use hurrying them.
- Hurry him or he'll be late.
- We don't need to hurry them.
- Don't hurry me. Let me think it over.
- Don't hurry me; I'm working as fast as I can!
- I wish you would not hurry him.
- The stewardess hurried the passengers onto the plane.
- They hurried the sick child to the doctor.
- If we hurry the work, it may be spoiled.
- The cook hurried the meal.
- We are hurrying our meal so that we can get away quickly.
- The salesman hurried the customer to make a choice.
- He hurried us to start.
- He had a hurried breakfast and went out.
- What's the hurry?
- Why all the hurry?
- If there is no need for hurry, let's spend the night in the village.
- Don't drive so fast, there's no hurry.
- There was so much a hurry at the last minute that she forgot her hat.
- There is no hurry. Have a drink.
- There's no hurry, so do it slowly and carefully.
- Is there any hurry for this job?
- hurry along〔forward〕 (v.+adv.)
(使)赶快向前或向另一个地方移动 (cause to) move quickly ahead or to another place
We hurried along for fear we should be late.
Hurry forward there, please, there are people waiting behind you.
请赶快向前面移动一下,你后面还有人等着呢。hurry sb/sth along〔forward〕
The policeman hurried the crowd forward because they were blocking the scene of the accident.
- hurry away〔off〕 (v.+adv.)
(使)迅速离开 (cause to) move quickly away
She hurried away in the opposite direction.
The white rabbit hurried away, looking at his watch.
Watching the door, the policeman saw one of the thieves hurrying away.
She hurried off without a word.
她一句话没说匆匆走了。hurry sb ⇔ away〔off〕
The prisoners were hurried off before the reporters could have a chance to speak to them.
- hurry back (v.+adv.)
赶快回来 be quick to return
They hurried back from Xi'an to attend the conference.
Hurry back, won't you? we're waiting for the result.
- hurry down (v.+adv.)
赶快下来,迅速下来 descend quickly
He hurried down to help us get across the river.
Hurry down,Tom, your egg's ready!
- hurry for (v.+prep.)
hurry for sth
She is hurrying for the conference.
- hurry in (v.+adv.)
赶快进来 enter in haste
Hurry in, children, it's raining!
It was almost evening when he came hurrying in.
- hurry into (v.+prep.)
(使)赶快或匆忙开始从事或做… (cause to) start (sth or doing sth) quickly, often too quickly
hurry into sth
They hurried into the city to say good-bye to us.
I hurried into the room, but the telephone stopped ringing as I picked up the receiver.
我连忙冲进屋子,可是当我要拿起话筒时,电话铃已经不响了。hurry sb into sth
Can you hurry the rest of the crowd into the theatre?The performance is about to start!
你能不能叫其他的观众赶快进入剧场,演出就要开始了。hurry into sth/v-ing
Too many young people hurry into marriage without considering the responsibilities.
It's no good hurrying into learning the piano, it's a long slow job.
匆匆忙忙是学不好钢琴的,弹好钢琴不是一朝一夕之功。hurry sb into sth/v-ing
Her parents are trying to hurry her into marriage.
Don't try to hurry me into writing that letter, it's not so urgent.
I won't be hurried into a decision, you'll just have to wait!
- hurry on (v.+adv.)
急匆匆地说 speak quickly
hurry sth ⇔ on
He hurried his clothes on and left.
“Oh, but you didn't,” she hurried on,“But why did you?”
- hurry up (v.+adv.)
(使)赶紧 (cause to) move faster
I advise you to hurry up. Hurry up!
Hurry up! or we'll be late getting to the station.
Now hurry up and get on the car.
You must hurry up or you cannot finish it in time.
Hurry up and eat before the food gets cold.
We'll miss the train if you don't hurry up.
如果你再不快点,我们就赶不上火车了。hurry up with sth
We must hurry up with the construction work so that we can finish it before the rainy season sets in.
Ask him to hurry up with those letters so that we can send them off today.
让他快把信写好,我们好今天发出去。hurry sb/sth ⇔ up
Hurry him up, will you?
Please hurry up the dinner.
We have to hurry up this job if we want to finish it by Thursday.
- hurry with (v.+prep.)
急忙做某事 (cause to) start (sth) quickly
hurry with sth
We needn't hurry with our meeting.
Please hurry with your work.
He asked us to hurry with our lunch.
- in a hurry
- in no hurry
- in one's hurry
匆忙之中 hastily when sb does sth
- hurry confusedly 糊涂地催促
- hurry conservatively 谨慎地催促
- hurry feverishly 发烧似地催促
- hurry gallantly 勇敢地催促
- hurry madly 发疯地催促
- hurry mechanically 机械地催促
- hurry merrily 快乐地催促
- hurry nervously 紧张地催促
- hurry tremulously 颤抖地催促
- hurry along 赶快走
- hurry away (使)迅速离开
- hurry back 赶快回来
- hurry down 赶快下来
- hurry in 赶快进来
- hurry off (使)迅速离开
- hurry on the business 从速办事
- hurry over one's meal 匆匆把饭吃完
- hurry through a book 匆匆看完一本书
- hurry up (使)加快,(使)抓紧,迅速到达
- hurry about one's work 急急忙忙干自己的工作
- hurry across the street 匆忙穿过大街
- hurry into a car 急忙上车
- hurry to a place 匆忙到某处
- hurry to the front 急赴前线
- hurry with 急忙做某事
- in a hurry 匆忙
A poor man began to make some tumult...'Constables, take him away.' They did so, and the hurry was over.出自： J. Wesley
My master was seized and hurried away to a prison.出自： C. Johnston
Drinking hurries Men on to the worst of Vices.出自： J. Pitts
- “hurry and ...”结构常用于祈使句,其中的and一般不省略。
- hurry on在非正式语体中可引出直接引语,作“急匆匆地说”解,有不容对方搭茬儿就接着说下去的意味。
- hurry本身的语气已很强烈,所以只有用于肯定结构或单独使用时, hurry才可加up这个强势副词。
- hurry通常用作不可数名词,但有时其前可加不定冠词。in a hurry和in no hurry的意思是“赶忙”和“不急忙”,其后可接for引起的短语或动词不定式表示急于达到目标或目的,一般用在系动词be后作表语,可用在there be结构中作主语。
- in a hurry多用来指行动“匆忙”,但忙中不一定出错; in one's hurry则通常指忙中出错。
- hurry, dash, hasten, quicken, rush, speed
- quicken指动作变化短暂、快,活动性较强,使其变为更活泼、有力或敏捷; dash指在一个很短的距离内快速前进,也指赶忙做某事; hasten指在急速当中,有计划有秩序地,但有时也指突如其来和匆匆完事; hurry指迅速地移动,含有几分兴奋的意思,但也带有几分仓促、混乱的意思; rush指赶快、非常迅速地行进,所暗示的形势要比hurry来得更紧急,有时还带有暴力的意味; speed是一个比rush意思更强的词,与quicken近义,不同处在于暗示移动的快速。例如:
- Exercise quickens the pulse.锻炼使脉搏加快。
- He dashed up the stairs.他冲上了楼梯。
- The storm's approach hastened our departure.暴风雨将要来临,我们只好赶快离开。
- The late arrivals hurried to their seats.迟到的人匆匆走到自己的座位上去。
- hurry up about, hurry up with
- hurry up with后通常接指具体的“物”的词, hurry up about后常接指抽象“事”的词。例如:
- Hurry up with your homework and shut up,Tom!汤姆,赶快完成你的作业,别讲话了!
- Hurry up about that thing, stupid.傻瓜,快把那件事做完。
- Are you hurrying for lunch?
- Are you in a hurry for lunch?
- Are you in a hurry to have lunch?
误 I hurried to go upstairs to see what was going on.
正 I hurried upstairs to see what was going on.
析 hurry是一个动态动词,含有“去”或“做”的意思,常与副词或介词短语连用,表示“匆忙到某处”,因此,其后面不宜再用to go, to come, to do等。别催他们。
误 Don't hurry them up!
正 Don't hurry them!
析 hurry up不用于否定句,只有在肯定句中hurry才可以用up加强语气。
- ☆ 1590年进入英语，直接源自中古英语的hurren，意为匆忙。