- 厚的,粗的 of relatively great distance or of a specified distance between opposite surfaces or sides
- 稠密的,密集的,茂密的 have a large number of units close together
- 浓的,黏稠的 (of a liquid or paste) relatively stiff in consistency; not flowing easily
- 不清澈的,混浊的,浓的 (of a vapour or the atmosphere) not clear; dense
- 很明显的,重的; 不清楚的 very noticeable; not clear in sound
- [P]充满的,布满的 full of; covered with
- [P]荒唐的,不合情理的 beyond what is reasonable or satisfactory
- [P]感情深的 very friendly
- 厚厚地,密密地,浓浓地 so as to be thick; thickly
- [S]最活跃的部分; 活动最频繁的地点或时间 the part, place, time, etc., of greatest activity
- the location of something surrounded by other things;
"in the midst of the crowd"
- not thin; of a specific thickness or of relatively great extent from one surface to the opposite usually in the smallest of the three solid dimensions;
"an inch thick"
"a thick board"
"a thick sandwich"
"spread a thick layer of butter"
"thick coating of dust"
"thick warm blankets"
- having component parts closely crowded together;
"a compact shopping center"
"a dense population"
"a thick forest"
- relatively dense in consistency;
- spoken as if with a thick tongue;
"the thick speech of a drunkard"
"his words were slurred"
- having a short and solid form or stature;
"a wrestler of compact build"
"he was tall and heavyset"
"a thickset young man"
- hard to pass through because of dense growth;
- (of darkness) very intense;
"a face in deep shadow"
- (used informally) associated on close terms;
"a close friend"
"the bartender was chummy with the regular customers"
"the two were thick as thieves for months"
- (used informally) stupid
- abounding; having a lot of;
"the top was thick with dust"
- with a thick consistency;
"the blood was flowing thick"
- in quick succession;
"misfortunes come fast and thick"
- He put on a thick sweater since it was cold in the morning.
- The mountain was covered with a thick layer of snow.
- Her thick and dark hair hangs all the way to her shoulder.
- He's rich, but a little thick.
She was still wearing her thick coat.
That little restaurant makes good thick sandwiches.
On the end of his nose was a pair of thick spectacles.
Who's that young man with a thick head of hair?
Thick smoke came out of the burning building.
A field of burning grass billowed thick black clouds of smoke into the sky.
Thick liquid pours much more slowly than thin liquid.
Grandfather spoke with a thick Scottish brogue.
We have been thick friends since we were young.
The brass plate is one inch thick.
The castle walls are two metres thick.
The skins are very thick and glossy towards winter.
Daffodil stems are straight and thick.
The wire is very thick.
The fog seemed to be getting thicker.
The weather was thick.
The flowers grew thick in the garden.
His English is thick, but I always find it understandable.
He is pretty thick, isn't he?
My head's rather thick this morning after all that beer I drank last night.
They're very thick together.
He is thick of hearing.
It was so thick to its length.
She is thick with him.
Your mother wouldn't like it if you become too thick with each other.
The floor was thick with dust.
The small room is thick with audience.
The fog was so thick that we couldn't see anything.
Their hatred was so thick that it could be cut with a knife.
The illness made his speech thick.
The snow is falling thick.
The flowers grew thickest near the wall.
The trees grew thicker and lower here and many of them were out of the vertical.
Don't spread the butter too thick.
My heart beats thick.
- a bit thick
太过分了,不合情理 beyond what is reasonable or satisfactory
I think it a bit thick to do it that way. 我认为那样做太过分了。
They thought it a bit thick when he called himself a genius. 他把自己称为天才,他们认为这太过分了。
It's a bit thick to expect me to work until midnight! 指望我工作到深夜?这有点不合情理吧!
- 太过分了,不合情理 beyond what is reasonable or satisfactory
- as thick as thieves
亲密无间,亲密得不得了 very friendly
They didn't like each other at first, but they're as thick as thieves now. 他们开始彼此不喜欢对方,但现在亲密得不得了。
Lionel and Mandy were as thick as thieves until Lionel changed his job, now they hardly see each other. 莱昂内尔调动工作前,他同曼迪过往甚密,现在他们难得见面。
- 亲密无间,亲密得不得了 very friendly
- as thick as two short planks
Mark is as thick as two short planks—I still don't understand why you employed him here. 马克笨透了——我仍然不理解为什么你这儿要雇用他。
Some of our greatest and richest superstars have been as thick as two planks. 我们的某些最了不起的、最富有的超级明星却愚不可及。
- 愚蠢的 stupid
- the thick end of
〈英·非正〉几乎和…一样多 almost as much as...
The car cost me the thick end of ￡10,000. 这辆车几乎花了我一万英镑。
- 〈英·非正〉几乎和…一样多 almost as much as...
- thick on the ground
Grants for the arts are not too thick on the ground these years. 这年月给艺术提供的拨款并不很多。
He found that jobs in Animal Nutrition weren't exactly thick on the ground. 他发现动物营养学方面的工作并不完全有那么多。
- 〈非正〉遍地都是,有的是 plentiful
- thick and fast
〈非正〉密集地,接二连三,又快又多 quickly and in large numbers
The bullets were flying thick and fast. 子弹密集地飞奔着。
Offers of help are coming in thick and fast. 四面八方立即伸出援助之手。
The questions came flying at me thick and fast. 问题朝我接踵而来。
- 〈非正〉密集地,接二连三,又快又多 quickly and in large numbers
- in the thick of sth
在…最激烈的时刻,在…的最激烈处,处在…的中心 in the most active〔dense〕 part of sth
We met a bear in the thick of the forest. 我们在森林深处遇见了一头熊。
There was a large crowd and he was in the thick of it. 有一大群人,他在人群最密集的地方。
King Arther was in the thick of the fight. 亚瑟王打得正酣。
- 在…最激烈的时刻,在…的最激烈处,处在…的中心 in the most active〔dense〕 part of sth
- through thick and thin
共患难,同甘苦; 不顾艰难险阻,在任何情况下 through both good or bad time; in spite of all the difficulties
She stuck by her husband through thick and thin. 她没有离开丈夫,始终与他同甘共苦。
They were friends through thick and thin. 他们是同甘共苦的朋友。
We'll stand by you through thick and thin. 在任何艰难情况下我们将一直支持你。
We must adhere to principle through thick and thin. 在任何情况下我们都必须坚持原则。
- 共患难,同甘苦; 不顾艰难险阻,在任何情况下 through both good or bad time; in spite of all the difficulties
- thick accent 很浓的口音
- thick beard 浓胡须
- thick board 厚木板
- thick book 厚书
- thick brows 浓眉
- thick cloth 厚布
- thick clouds 浓厚的云层
- thick dust 厚厚的尘土
- thick finger 粗壮的手指
- thick fog 浓雾
- thick forest 稠密的森林
- thick lips 厚嘴唇
- thick mists 浓雾
- thick plank 厚木板
- thick skin 感受迟钝,不敏感
- thick slice 厚片
- thick smoke 浓烟
- thick sole 厚鞋底
- thick soup 浓汤
- thick stick 粗棍子
- thick strokes 粗笔画
- in the thick of sth 在…最激烈的时刻,在…的最激烈处,处在…的中心
- in the thick of the forest 在森林最密处
- through thick and thin 共患难,同甘苦,不顾艰难险阻
The man's..fingers..were short, blunt and thick.出自：G. Greene
Eyes made huge by thick glasses.出自：J. Steinbeck
A template cut from quarter-inch-thick maple.出自：New York Times
My kilt..is very thick; it can keep out snowdrifts.出自：Sunday Times
I..put on a thick layer of shaving cream.出自：Interview
When dark hath thicked to night.出自：W. de la Mare
The butter's spread too thick.出自：L. Carroll
- thick的基本意思是“厚的,粗的”,也可表示“稠密的,密集的,茂密的”,液体或糊状物“浓的,黏稠的”,汽、烟、雾或空气等“不清澈的,混浊的,浓的”,口音“很明显的,重的; 不清楚的”。
- thick, dense
这两个词意思基本相同,但有细微差别:thick是日常用语,用得略微广泛些,可形容牛奶、粥、油漆、雾、森林、树叶、毛发等表示其黑暗、浓、稠、密、深等; 但在特指空气的变化或状态时多用dense, dense也常用于比喻,指“头脑顽固”的本性或“根深蒂固”的特点。例如:The peaks were veiled in thick mist.浓雾笼罩着群峰。He is a dense fellow, just like a donkey.他是一个头脑顽固的家伙,就像一头驴。
误 How fat is the wall?
正 How thick is the wall?
析 表达物体厚度只能用thick,不能用fat, fat的意思是“肥胖”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的thicce，意为密浓的。
- thick:thick adj. 厚的, 粗的, 稠的, 浓的n. 最拥挤部份, 活动最多部份, 事物的粗大浓密部份 英英解释:名词thick:1. the location of something surro…