- 重的 of a certain weight, especially of a weight that makes carrying, moving, etc. difficult
- 力量、数量或程度异常大的 of unusual great force, amount, or degree
- 繁重的 demanding great effort of the mind or great physical effort
- 沉重的,沉闷的,忧郁的 feeling or causing sadness or disappointment
- 迟钝的,(动作)艰难的 feeling or showing difficulty or slowness in moving
- 严厉的,无情的 severe or unsympathetic
- (食物)难消化的 (of food) difficult to digest
- an actor who plays villainous roles
- a serious (or tragic) role in a play
- of comparatively great physical weight or density;
"a heavy load"
"lead is a heavy metal"
"heavy mahogany furniture"
- unusually great in degree or quantity or number;
"a heavy fine"
- of the military or industry; using (or being) the heaviest and most powerful armaments or weapons or equipment;
"a heavy cruiser"
"heavy industry involves large-scale production of basic products (such as steel) used by other industries"
- marked by great psychological weight; weighted down especially with sadness or troubles or weariness;
"a heavy heart"
"a heavy schedule"
"a heavy silence"
- usually describes a large person who is fat but has a large frame to carry it
- (used of soil) compact and fine-grained;
"the clayey soil was heavy and easily saturated"
- darkened by clouds;
"a heavy sky"
- of great intensity or power or force;
"a heavy blow"
"the fighting was heavy"
- (physics, chemistry) being or containing an isotope with greater than average atomic mass or weight;
- (of an actor or role) being or playing the villain;
"Iago is the heavy role in `Othello'"
- permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter;
- of relatively large extent and density;
"a heavy line"
- made of fabric having considerable thickness;
"a heavy coat"
- full and loud and deep;
"a herald chosen for his sonorous voice"
- given to excessive indulgence of bodily appetites especially for intoxicating liquors;
"a hard drinker"
- of great gravity or crucial import; requiring serious thought;
"faced a grave decision in a time of crisis"
"a grievous fault"
"heavy matters of state"
"the weighty matters to be discussed at the peace conference"
- slow and laborious because of weight;
"the heavy tread of tired troops"
"moved with a lumbering sag-bellied trot"
"ponderous prehistoric beasts"
"a ponderous yawn"
- large and powerful; especially designed for heavy loads or rough work;
"a heavy truck"
- dense or inadequately leavened and hence likely to cause distress in the alimentary canal;
"a heavy pudding"
- sharply inclined;
"a heavy grade"
- full of; bearing great weight;
"trees heavy with fruit"
"vines weighed down with grapes"
- requiring or showing effort;
"the subject made for labored reading"
- characterized by effort to the point of exhaustion; especially physical effort;
"worked their arduous way up the mining valley"
"a grueling campaign"
"spent many laborious hours on the project"
"set a punishing pace"
- lacking lightness or liveliness;
"a leaden conversation"
- (of sleep) deep and complete;
"a heavy sleep"
"fell into a profound sleep"
"a sound sleeper"
"deep wakeless sleep"
- in an advanced stage of pregnancy;
"was big with child"
"was great with child"
- slowly as if burdened by much weight;
"time hung heavy on their hands"
- As we are booking heavy orders, we would advise your order at once.
- He made efforts to move the heavy furniture.
- We had heavy hearts as we went to a funeral.
- The soldiers kept the field under heavy fire.
- A rainbow is usually seen after a heavy rain.
It was hard walking on the slippery ice in our heavy boots.
He wondered if the floor could support the heavy piano.
Gold is a heavy metal.
We had a heavy rain last night.
A heavy frost lay over the road, roofs and trees.
She must have a heavy purse to have contributed such a large sum of money.
I was held up by the heavy traffic.
Industry is a heavy user of electric power.
Sweet grass like a heavy green carpet grew along the edge of the river.
Heavy lines on the map indicate main roads.
He has a pair of animated eyes under heavy eyebrows.
There came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac.
Rescue crews walked three miles from the end of the road into the heavy brush to carry the critically wounded men to an ambulance.
Ade is a heavy smoker.
The aggressors suffered heavy casualties.
He is laden with heavy responsibility.
I got a heavy date for this afternoon.
He went to hospital because of heavy work.
Moving that bed was heavy work.
The report makes pretty heavy reading.
I've had a heavy day.
He went to meet her with a heavy heart.
I must confess that this is a heavy blow.
She wore a heavy look, because someone offended her.
It's a heavy day.
Soon after the heavy meal the child had a pain in the stomach.
The box is too heavy.
Aluminium looks heavy but actually it is very light.
The expenditure on new furniture is too heavy.
The taxes on personal property are getting heavier.
I went back to our front line, for firing was going heavy again.
My timetable is very heavy this term.
My head is heavy.
My heart is heavy as lead.
The mood here is surprisingly heavy today.
The box is heavier than that one.
The stone is not heavy for its size.
At that time the odds were heavy against us.
That horse is heavy in hand.
He was heavy on beer.
The food is too heavy on my stomach.
I found such books too heavy going.
- heavy hand
高压手段,强硬措施 harsh or firm control or measure
He rules his class with a heavy hand. 他用严厉的手段管理班级。
He runs his department with a heavy hand. 他采取强硬措施管理所属部门。
- 高压手段,强硬措施 harsh or firm control or measure
- heavy on
〈非正〉对…严厉 severe towards
He is a teacher who is heavy on his pupils. 他是一个对学生很严的老师。
- 〈非正〉对…严厉 severe towards
- heavy with
充满 full of
The air is heavy with moisture. 空气中充满了潮气。
It was so stuffy in the tent that we could sense the air was heavy with moisture. 帐篷里很闷热,我们感到空气都是潮的。
I am still heavy with influenza but getting better. 我的感冒仍然很厉害,但正在好转。
Mother's heart was heavy with worry for the safety of her son. 母亲担心儿子的安全,心情很沉重。
- 充满 full of
- heavy applause 热烈的鼓掌
- heavy atmosphere 沉闷的气氛
- heavy bass voice 低沉的声音
- heavy blow 沉重的打击
- heavy box 重箱子
- heavy crop 大丰收
- heavy drinker 酒量很大的人
- heavy face 阴沉沉的面孔
- heavy fall of rain 大量降水
- heavy fall of snow 大量降雪
- heavy fate 苦命
- heavy features 浓眉大眼
- heavy fighting 激战
- heavy goods vehicle 重型卡车
- heavy grief 沉痛的悲伤
- heavy guns 重炮,不可动摇的论据,决定的事实
- heavy heart 心情沉重
- heavy humour 低落的情绪
- heavy industry 重工业
- heavy job 繁重的工作
- heavy load 重载,重担,重任
- heavy loser 损失大的人
- heavy losses 重大损失
- heavy machine guns 重机枪
- heavy machinery plant 重型机械厂
- heavy manual labour 繁重的体力劳动
- heavy metal 重金属
- heavy money 大笔钱
- heavy news 坏消息
- heavy punishment 重罚
- heavy rain 大雨
- heavy sea 波涛汹涌的大海
- heavy sky 阴沉的天空
- heavy smell 浓烈的气味
- heavy smoker 烟瘾大的人
- heavy storm 暴风骤雨
- heavy suitcase 重箱子
- heavy task 繁重的任务
- heavy taxation 重税
- heavy traffic 拥挤的交通
- heavy water 大量的水
- heavy weapon 重型武器
- heavy weight 特别重的人,要人
- heavy weather 阴沉的坏天气
- heavy wound 重伤
There was a fire lit in my bedroom and a too heavy eiderdown.出自：Day Lewis
Mrs. Warmington collapsed on top of her, a warm, dead weight, flaccid and heavy.出自：D. Bagley
The heavy brown grocery bag was beginning to slip out of her arms.出自：R. Macdonald
- heavy, weighty
这两个词的共同意思是“重的”。它们之间的区别是:1.用于具体意义:heavy指的是相对的重,而weighty指的是绝对的重。例如:The parcel is too heavy for me.那个包裹对我来说太重了。There is a weighty parcel.那儿有一个沉甸甸的包裹。2.用于引申义:heavy可指精神压力沉重,忍受不了; weighty指某事物是“有重大意义的”“有分量的”“很重要的”等。例如:He made a weighty speech.他的发言很有分量。He died for the people and his death is weightier than Mount Tai.他是为人民而死的,他的死重于泰山。
误 The bag is heavy for me to carry.
正 The bag is too heavy for me to carry.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的hiefg，意为重。
- burdensome hefty ponderous weighty abundant copious substantial voluminous grave serious boring dismal dull gloomy melancholy oppressed sad tiresome
- heavy:heavy adj. 重的, 繁重的, 巨大的, 沉重的, 阴沉的adv. 沉重地, 笨重地, 大量地n. 重物, 严肃角色 英英解释:名词heavy:1. an actor who plays vi…