- 重的 of a certain weight, especially of a weight that makes carrying, moving, etc. difficult
- 力量、数量或程度异常大的 of unusual great force, amount, or degree
- 繁重的 demanding great effort of the mind or great physical effort
- 沉重的,沉闷的,忧郁的 feeling or causing sadness or disappointment
- 迟钝的,(动作)艰难的 feeling or showing difficulty or slowness in moving
- 严厉的,无情的 severe or unsympathetic
- (食物)难消化的 (of food) difficult to digest
an actor who plays villainous roles
a serious (or tragic) role in a play
of comparatively great physical weight or density;
"a heavy load"
"lead is a heavy metal"
"heavy mahogany furniture"
unusually great in degree or quantity or number;
"a heavy fine"
of the military or industry; using (or being) the heaviest and most powerful armaments or weapons or equipment;
"a heavy cruiser"
"heavy industry involves large-scale production of basic products (such as steel) used by other industries"
marked by great psychological weight; weighted down especially with sadness or troubles or weariness;
"a heavy heart"
"a heavy schedule"
"a heavy silence"
usually describes a large person who is fat but has a large frame to carry it
(used of soil) compact and fine-grained;
"the clayey soil was heavy and easily saturated"
darkened by clouds;
"a heavy sky"
of great intensity or power or force;
"a heavy blow"
"the fighting was heavy"
(physics, chemistry) being or containing an isotope with greater than average atomic mass or weight;
(of an actor or role) being or playing the villain;
"Iago is the heavy role in `Othello'"
permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter;
of relatively large extent and density;
"a heavy line"
made of fabric having considerable thickness;
"a heavy coat"
full and loud and deep;
"a herald chosen for his sonorous voice"
given to excessive indulgence of bodily appetites especially for intoxicating liquors;
"a hard drinker"
of great gravity or crucial import; requiring serious thought;
"faced a grave decision in a time of crisis"
"a grievous fault"
"heavy matters of state"
"the weighty matters to be discussed at the peace conference"
slow and laborious because of weight;
"the heavy tread of tired troops"
"moved with a lumbering sag-bellied trot"
"ponderous prehistoric beasts"
"a ponderous yawn"
large and powerful; especially designed for heavy loads or rough work;
"a heavy truck"
dense or inadequately leavened and hence likely to cause distress in the alimentary canal;
"a heavy pudding"
"a heavy grade"
full of; bearing great weight;
"trees heavy with fruit"
"vines weighed down with grapes"
requiring or showing effort;
"the subject made for labored reading"
characterized by effort to the point of exhaustion; especially physical effort;
"worked their arduous way up the mining valley"
"a grueling campaign"
"spent many laborious hours on the project"
"set a punishing pace"
lacking lightness or liveliness;
"a leaden conversation"
(of sleep) deep and complete;
"a heavy sleep"
"fell into a profound sleep"
"a sound sleeper"
"deep wakeless sleep"
in an advanced stage of pregnancy;
"was big with child"
"was great with child"
slowly as if burdened by much weight;
"time hung heavy on their hands"
- As we are booking heavy orders, we would advise your order at once.
- He made efforts to move the heavy furniture.
- The lead is heavy and the plastic is light.
- We had heavy hearts as we went to a funeral.
- The soldiers kept the field under heavy fire.
- A rainbow is usually seen after a heavy rain.
- It was hard walking on the slippery ice in our heavy boots.
- He wondered if the floor could support the heavy piano.
- Gold is a heavy metal.
- We had a heavy rain last night.
- A heavy frost lay over the road, roofs and trees.
- She must have a heavy purse to have contributed such a large sum of money.
- I was held up by the heavy traffic.
- Industry is a heavy user of electric power.
- Sweet grass like a heavy green carpet grew along the edge of the river.
- Heavy lines on the map indicate main roads.
- He has a pair of animated eyes under heavy eyebrows.
- There came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac.
- Rescue crews walked three miles from the end of the road into the heavy brush to carry the critically wounded men to an ambulance.
- Ade is a heavy smoker.
- The aggressors suffered heavy casualties.
- He is laden with heavy responsibility.
- I got a heavy date for this afternoon.
- He went to hospital because of heavy work.
- Moving that bed was heavy work.
- The report makes pretty heavy reading.
- I've had a heavy day.
- He went to meet her with a heavy heart.
- I must confess that this is a heavy blow.
- She wore a heavy look, because someone offended her.
- It's a heavy day.
- Soon after the heavy meal the child had a pain in the stomach.
- The box is too heavy.
- Aluminium looks heavy but actually it is very light.
- The expenditure on new furniture is too heavy.
- The taxes on personal property are getting heavier.
- I went back to our front line, for firing was going heavy again.
- My timetable is very heavy this term.
- My head is heavy.
- My heart is heavy as lead.
- The mood here is surprisingly heavy today.
- The box is heavier than that one.
- The stone is not heavy for its size.
- At that time the odds were heavy against us.
- That horse is heavy in hand.
- He was heavy on beer.
- The food is too heavy on my stomach.
- I found such books too heavy going.
- heavy hand
高压手段,强硬措施 harsh or firm control or measure
- heavy on
〈非正〉对…严厉 severe towards
- heavy with
充满 full of
- heavy applause 热烈的鼓掌
- heavy atmosphere 沉闷的气氛
- heavy bass voice 低沉的声音
- heavy blow 沉重的打击
- heavy box 重箱子
- heavy crop 大丰收
- heavy drinker 酒量很大的人
- heavy face 阴沉沉的面孔
- heavy fall of rain 大量降水
- heavy fall of snow 大量降雪
- heavy fate 苦命
- heavy features 浓眉大眼
- heavy fighting 激战
- heavy goods vehicle 重型卡车
- heavy grief 沉痛的悲伤
- heavy guns 重炮,不可动摇的论据,决定的事实
- heavy heart 心情沉重
- heavy humour 低落的情绪
- heavy industry 重工业
- heavy job 繁重的工作
- heavy load 重载,重担,重任
- heavy loser 损失大的人
- heavy losses 重大损失
- heavy machine guns 重机枪
- heavy machinery plant 重型机械厂
- heavy manual labour 繁重的体力劳动
- heavy metal 重金属
- heavy money 大笔钱
- heavy news 坏消息
- heavy punishment 重罚
- heavy rain 大雨
- heavy sea 波涛汹涌的大海
- heavy sky 阴沉的天空
- heavy smell 浓烈的气味
- heavy smoker 烟瘾大的人
- heavy storm 暴风骤雨
- heavy suitcase 重箱子
- heavy task 繁重的任务
- heavy taxation 重税
- heavy traffic 拥挤的交通
- heavy water 大量的水
- heavy weapon 重型武器
- heavy weight 特别重的人,要人
- heavy weather 阴沉的坏天气
- heavy wound 重伤
- awfully heavy 非常重
- extra heavy 加重的,特别结实的
- pretty heavy 相当重
- heavy against 对…很不利
- heavy at heart 心情沉重
- heavy from 因…而疲倦
- heavy in hand 难以驾驭
- heavy in the head 头痛
- heavy with sleep 熟睡
There was a fire lit in my bedroom and a too heavy eiderdown.出自： Day Lewis
Mrs. Warmington collapsed on top of her, a warm, dead weight, flaccid and heavy.出自： D. Bagley
The heavy brown grocery bag was beginning to slip out of her arms.出自： R. Macdonald
- heavy, weighty
- The parcel is too heavy for me.那个包裹对我来说太重了。
- There is a weighty parcel.那儿有一个沉甸甸的包裹。
- 2.用于引申义:heavy可指精神压力沉重,忍受不了; weighty指某事物是“有重大意义的”“有分量的”“很重要的”等。例如:
- He made a weighty speech.他的发言很有分量。
- He died for the people and his death is weightier than Mount Tai.他是为人民而死的,他的死重于泰山。
误 The bag is heavy for me to carry.
正 The bag is too heavy for me to carry.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的hefig，意为重。