- vt. & vi. 戳; 拨; 捅 push a pointed thing into (sb or sth)
tall coarse perennial American herb having small white flowers followed by blackish-red berries on long drooping racemes; young fleshy stems are edible; berries and root are poisonous
someone who takes more time than necessary; someone who lags behind
a bag made of paper or plastic for holding customer's purchases
a sharp hand gesture (resembling a blow);
"he warned me with a jab with his finger"
"he made a thrusting motion with his fist"
(boxing) a blow with the fist;
"I gave him a clout on his nose"
poke or thrust abruptly;
"he jabbed his finger into her ribs"
search or inquire in a meddlesome way;
"This guy is always nosing around the office"
stir by poking;
"poke the embers in the fireplace"
hit hard with the hand, fist, or some heavy instrument;
"the salesman pounded the door knocker"
"a bible-thumping Southern Baptist"
make a hole by poking
- In his view, a pinch, a whack or a poke essentially tugged on a neural rope that then rang a pain alarm bell in the brain.
- I didn't know Haku had a fast poke.
- He used a nail to poke a hole.
- At frequent intervals the driver used to stop, poke the fire and add fresh fuel.
- Don't poke her eye out with that stick!
- Don't poke your mouth with the chopsticks.
- She shall know better than to poke the animal with her umbrella.
- She poked her finger into the hole.
- Don't poke into my private affairs.
- We never thought she would poke her nose into this.
- He poked (at) the fire with a stick.
- She poked among the dish with her chopsticks unable to make up her mind to eat.
- Stop poking me.
- The boy is poking a frog.
- He poked me in the ribs with his elbow.
- His large key had poked a hole in his pocket.
- They can't use the drum any more, for a stick had poked a hole.
- He poked the man in front of him to attract his attention.
- She poked the fire to make it burn up.
- She poked a hole in the papered window to let in a streak of light.
- The man poked him a blow.
- poke about〔around,round〕 (v.+adv.)
翻弄,翻找… search (in or for sth) by examining other people's business
Who's that poking about in the attic?
She poked about in her bag for her ticket.
She's been poking about in the kitchen all morning, moving tins and boxes.
What was he poking about for?We have no stolen goods hidden in there.
The detective poked around in the missing man's office.
He was lying flat on his stomach, poking around under the bed with his arm.
Why are you poking round among our things?
- poke along (v.+adv.)
慢慢地〔懒散地〕移动 move slowly and lazily
The cows were poking along, holding up the traffic.
- poke at (v.+prep.)
戳,刺,捅,击… give a quick sharp push or blow to (sth or sb)
poke at sb/sth
He kept poking at me.
The fighter won not by a singe blow, but by poking at his opponent so often that he weakened him.
From the way she just poked at the food, we could see she wasn't hungry.
He poked at the meat with his fork, but it seemed undercooked.
- poke fun at (v.+n.+prep.)
嘲笑… make a joke against (sth or sb), unkindly
poke fun at sth
It's cruel, as well as rude, to poke fun at a foreigner's mistakes in English.
- poke forward (v.+adv.)
(使)笨拙地向前移动; (使)笨拙地保持向前倾的姿势 (cause to) move forward or be held in a forward position, awkwardly
His head poked forward as he walked.
Why does he walk with his head poked forward?
- poke in1 (v.+adv.)
询问别人的事 enquire into other people's business
poke sth ⇔ in
He poked the stick in a long way, but no animal came out.
Has that policeman been poking in again?
Stop poking in where you're not wanted!
- poke in2 (v.+prep.)
在(某物)上扎(洞) make (a hole) by pushing sharply into (sth)
- poke nose in (v.+n.+prep.)
打听,干涉 enquire into (sth that is not one's own affair)
poke one's nose in sth
Don't poke your nose in another's business.
Stop poking your nose in other people's which you're not wanted!
He's always poking his nose in other people's affairs; I wish he would mind his own business.
Nobody asked his opinion.He should not poke his nose in where he isn't welcome.
- poke out (v.+adv.)
(使)伸出,留在外面 (cause to) be put or left outside
We knew the animal was in there, because it left its tail poking out.
我们知道这动物在这里面,因为它的尾巴还露在外面。poke sth ⇔ out
Poke your head out and see if it's still raining.
Don't let your boy poke his head out of the train window; it's dangerous!
- poke through (v.+prep.)
使穿过,捅穿(某物) push (sth) sharply through (sth)
poke through sth
His elbow was poking through his torn shirt sleeve.
The tops of his shoes had worn so thin that his toes were poking through the leather.
他的鞋前头磨得太薄了,脚趾头都从皮子里拱了出来。poke sth through sth
Don't poke your umbrella through the bars of the lion's cage.
Poke your hand through the fence and see if you can reach the piece of paper.
- poke up (v.+adv.)
把…拨旺 push the materials of (a fire) so as to make it burn more brightly by providing more air
poke sth ⇔ up
The room is cold; poke the fire up a little.
- poke brutally 凶残地捅
- poke cautiously〔warningly〕 小心地捅
- poke delicately 需要小心处理地捅
- poke humorously 幽默地捅
- poke about 在不属于自己的东西中翻弄,翻找
- poke along 慢慢地〔懒散地〕移动
- poke in 把(某物)猛地伸入,插入
- poke out (使)伸在或留在外面
- poke up 把…拨旺
The captain and some of the crew wanted to take a poke at him.出自： L. Armstrong
The Civil Guard ordered them down with a poke of their cudgels.出自： M. Warner
Let's drop in at your place and have a poke around.出自： R. Hill
On her knees before the fire, she was poking the big log.出自： E. Welty
Jansey chooses to poke her little brother.出自： P. Farmer
She..poked me..in the ribs.出自： P. Benson
- poke, jog, nudge, prod
- poke主要指用手指、工具或器具去“戳,刺,搅”,在成语中常暗示能起“搅动,干涉”作用的行为; prod常指用有尖端的东西去“刺,戳”,也可引申指有“刺激”作用的行为; nudge特指在不能说话的情况下用臂肘去“轻推”别人以促使其注意,也可仅表示给人以“暗示”; jog指“轻推”某人直到将其唤醒,也可抽象指“唤起”某人的记忆或提醒某人以某事。
- jab 刺
- thrust 刺
- push 推
- stab 刺
- dig 挖
- punch 按(键)
- prod 刺针
- pry 打听
- nudge 轻推
- stick 手杖
- protrude 突出
- stick out 突出
- nose around 四处探听
- look through 看穿
- meddle 干涉
- goad 刺激
- shove 推挤
- ram 公羊
- spur 支脉
- paper bag 纸袋
- poking 动词poke的现在进行式...
- pound 磅
- slug 蛞蝓
- trailer 拖车
- intrude 闯入
- clout 猛击
- jabbing 动词jab的现在进行式...
- scoke [植]美洲商陆...
- lick 舔
- horn in 闯入
- lagger 落伍者
- thump 重击
- sack 袋子
- carrier bag 购物袋
- biff 击打
- drone 雄蜂
- laggard 落后者
- thrusting (猛)推
- Phytolacca americana [医] 美商陆
- garget (猪等家畜的)咽喉肿胀...
- dawdler 游手好闲的人...
- nose 鼻子